Manuel Akanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I can just see him bring crap at a United and everyone ripping on the Bundesliga again :lol:

Don't think there is any defender in the Bundesliga I would want at United (apart from Sule, who is going to Dortmund).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That number is definitely not true. That would make him on par with Varane who earns slightly more. No way we are paying that kind of money to him. Most likely its entire contract (4-5 years) worth 15m than per annum
15m p.a. is absolutely believable, as Dortmund appears to be offering about 10m. So when he wants to leave, he likely has to get more elsewhere.

3m p.a. would be a sum were he doesn't even pick up the phone when you give him a call.

Maik2022

Dortmund are known for inconsistency and defensive weakness. You don't want any defensive player from that team. I also watch a fair amount of games and remember many mistakes by him, i also think swiss players are generally overrated.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
They will probably flip him to another PL team for 30-40M in 1-2 years. All there CB but Dias are injury prone so probably an insurance for the time being.

Johan77

Both Dias and Laporte (which are their 2 best center backs) are injury prone, so basically an insurance.
Akanji are better than both Stones and Ake though...

Crimson King

He's not really good enough for City, I guess he's a decent back up for that price though.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Bit of a left-field signing, but I take it as proof that we are going 3 at the back with Haaland and Alvarez up top

MrSingh2002

Excellent backup.

We could've sold Maguire to Leicester for £40m and bought Akanji for £15m as Varane cover.

This was too predictable now we have slabhead for another year of depreciation.

CM

Excellent backup.

We could've sold Maguire to Leicester for £40m and bought Akanji for £15m as Varane cover.

This was too predictable now we have slabhead for another year of depreciation.
Which fantasy world was that in?

swissgenius

Wow that's a very weird transfer, considering
- he's always been a United supporter and dreamt of moving here.
- World Cup is around the corner and he won't play much at City

Money's more important I guess..

MrSingh2002

Wow that's a very weird transfer, considering
- he's always been a United supporter and dreamt of moving here.
- World Cup is around the corner and he won't play much at City

Money's more important I guess..
Maybe United just didn't go for him and he had to take City's offer as it was the best one

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Seems a bit mad from Dortmund to let him go, given that Hummels is turning 34 this year, which means his days are numbered which would leave them a bit thin in terms of squad depth at the back.
Sule
Schlotterback
Hummles
and they have a young defender coulibaly who is supposedly very highy rathed by the club

they could of course still go out and add another player as well but I think Sule, Schlotterback and Hummles is three very good players for two positions so probably ok especially as Can can drop in there as well

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Seems a bit mad from Dortmund to let him go, given that Hummels is turning 34 this year, which means his days are numbered which would leave them a bit thin in terms of squad depth at the back.
He turned down Dortmund's extension offer and apparently asked for more than the club could offer (€11m to €13m p.a. - depending on who you believe). So they signed Schlotterbeck and cut Akanji from their squad and friendlies even, he was just training to stay fit, waiting for a move. Which is also why the fee is fairly low.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They will probably flip him to another PL team for 30-40M in 1-2 years. All there CB but Dias are injury prone so probably an insurance for the time being.
Didnt they have a big bid for Ake earlier in the window they turned down? - might choose to cash in on him

I am surprised they have not gone for an established left back option though because I'm not sure its cancellos best position - could see them cashing in on ake and bringing in a left back (theo hernandez?)

CM

How much do you think Maguire could be sold to? Considering clubs like Barca and Chelsea have explored signing him.
I don't know but I know enough that Leicester wouldn't be making a bid like that for Maguire. They've got FFP difficulties and probably wouldn't even be able to absorb his wages, never mind commit to that sort of fee.

It's easy to say we should sell Maguire for £40m but in the real world that isn't likely to happen. As a point of comparison, The Telegraph were reporting Palace would only go as high as £10m for Wan-Bissaka. If we sell these players we're going to take a huge hit on them.

NoLogo

He turned down Dortmund's extension offer and apparently asked for more than the club could offer (€11m to €13m p.a. - depending on who you believe). So they signed Schlotterbeck and cut Akanji from their squad and friendlies even, he was just training to stay fit, waiting for a move. Which is also why the fee is fairly low.
I see, well makes sense to sell him if he wasn't going to extent anyway. But Süle and Hummels are a bit injury prone, seems like a bit of a risk, don't you think?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I see, well makes sense to sell him if he wasn't going to extent anyway. But Süle and Hummels are a bit injury prone, seems like a bit of a risk, don't you think?
Aside from the two ACL injuries his injury file is actually pretty thin. And as always it's a question of money. Having three CBs with genuine starting aspirations is a decent position for a club like Dortmund, signing someone else on a high level would take up money that could help more elsewhere. If there's a deep injury crisis they will have to use Can or a youngster like Coulibaly.

Last edited:

Man-United

I guess they needed another United fan after Sterling left. Grealish and Stones still there.

Zetrio2002

Pep finally realizing that Nathan Ake only look good on paper but doesn't know how to defend in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.