Manuel Akanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So if we go by this thread, he's an all around centre back without any flaws, and he's also utter shit.

Thanks Caf.
Most people are going off the fact Dortmund have a shit defensive record - that may mean something to him as a player but it may also mean absolutely nothing.

Most people probably haven’t seen a great deal of him. The Bundesliga fans are worth listening to though.

Devil may care

I remember him starting well at Dortmund and talking about being a United fan, then his form dropped off badly. I've not seen him in a while but if @Adnan says he's rediscovered his form, at 26 he's coming into his peak and at £20M might be a good signing if Bailly, Axel and Jones are off.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Small sample size of course, but I thought he stood out as being Switzerland's best defender by a long way when I've watched them at tournaments.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's Bundesliga Defender. Bundesliga Defender has adapted how to play very high line and I don't mind him if we sign him or defender from Bundesliga since Bailly probably leaving while both Varane and Maguire are not getting any younger.

troylocker

Dont think he is good enough. Split opinions, as some really rate him and others dont. I dont and he has been part of a leaky defense under different managers for years.

was highly rated at Basel, but he hasn’t really convinced me at Dortmund. Very inconsistent. It is a no for me, not better than what we have.
I watch all Dortmund's games and I have to agree with you on this one. Makes too many mistakes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Really likes him at Basel but I can’t say he’s looked that special at Dortmund to me, not consistently anyway.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You get so many diverse opinions on here from prime Beckenbauer to Titus Bramble in a few posts.
This is one of the few cases were the truth really is in the middle - he is good. Not exceptional, not terrible, could absolutely be a valuable part of United's squad, he can be a starter depending on form and alternatives, but if United had 2 World class CBs he would probably be a backup.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is one of the few cases were the truth really is in the middle - he is good. Not exceptional, not terrible, could absolutely be a valuable part of United's squad, he can be a starter depending on form and alternatives, but if United had 2 World class CBs he would probably be a backup.
That's where the problem lies, we paid a world class fee for a player who isn't.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I remember him starting well at Dortmund and talking about being a United fan, then his form dropped off badly. I've not seen him in a while but if @Adnan says he's rediscovered his form, at 26 he's coming into his peak and at £20M might be a good signing if Bailly, Axel and Jones are off.
We spoke about him a while ago mate and having someone of his profile is important, considering the past managers bought CBs who weren't suited to playing in a setup that requires CBs to play in a high defensive line. Akanji as we discussed before wouldn't have been the obvious choice but as a rotational player he'd be someone that would provide a variation and flexibility for a prospective coach that is missing right now. That would then allow us to prioritise the midfield and the CF positions.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's where the problem lies, we paid a world class fee for a player who isn't.
Agree with this, while the transfer fee looks ok, the salary mentioned just makes him to expensive. You could apparently sign Rüdiger for that financial package, would make far more sense.

CM

Strange if we're targeting a squad player in defence ahead of the many gaping holes in the team

Abraxas

I think we need a CB for a reasonable price this summer. Considering its probably not the biggest hole in the squad I don't see paying an exorbitant fee as an option. Hopefully this guy is good enough if it happens.

DomesticTadpole

Agree with this, while the transfer fee looks ok, the salary mentioned just makes him to expensive. You could apparently sign Rüdiger for that financial package, would make far more sense.
Those sort of wages should be for elite players, others contracts should be incentive laden, you achieve the goals you get paid more. Give them something to aim for. Think that is why a lot of our problems lie. Players say they want to win this and win that, but some get so much money the drive to win trophies goes. I think they want to win, but the money they get heals the disappointment.

DomesticTadpole

Strange if we're targeting a squad player in defence ahead of the many gaping holes in the team
We could be losing a couple of CB's, so a cheaper option would be good business, then the major money can go on the desperate need of the team.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
https://www.kicker.de/wechsel-perfekt-bvb-bekommt-akanji-sofort-714978/artikel

"18 Millionen Euro, die durch Boni auf etwas über 20 Millionen"

I guess 18-20 mil Euro? (don't know German)
You forgot that in our brilliant language the verb, containing the most vital information, comes last :lol:

"Nach kicker-Informationen beträgt die Ablösesumme 18 Millionen Euro, die durch Boni auf etwas über 20 Millionen Euro steigen kann. "

Transfer fee according to kicker informations is 18m € which can rise to a bit over 20m € via addons

It's also got a grammatical error in it now that I read it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Why not go for Nico Schlotterbeck instead? I haven't watched him to be honest but the people have say he's one of the best CBs in Bundesliga right now. He's young and also has a year left

CM

We could be losing a couple of CB's, so a cheaper option would be good business, then the major money can go on the desperate need of the team.
Yes, but historically we don't sign more than 3 or 4 players for the first team and we already have 4 or 5 other positions that will need filling.

€30m isn't exactly cheap either, if you're looking at a squad player.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Do I need to remind you that we in fact haven't done anything?
Ah let's just close the message board down then, wait until everything is confirmed before we can discuss things.

Need I remind you the club saw fit to give the likes of Mata, Jones and Bailly new contracts whilst playing very little? Along with the crazy Sanchez wage, this club has form, I apologise of my wording made it sound like it was a done deal, but I was merely speculating on the rumoured wage.

Better?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why not go for Nico Schlotterbeck instead? I haven't watched him to be honest but the people have say he's one of the best CBs in Bundesliga right now. He's young and also has a year left
Lack of CL experience might be a reason.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Though I'm part of the BDL, I wouldn't trust any BL defender right now. Serious lack of quality in that area, even Bayern defenders are struggling this season and don't look all that great. The place to look at are the attackers (though one might say the attackers look better because of the lack of quality of defenders).

That being said, I thought Matip would struggle at Liverpool and he's been amazing.

Coming to Akanji, his up and down form hasn't been helped by his constant injury struggles. As someone mentioned, he was great in his first season but then declined after that, he looked better last season I think but again he hasn't shown consistency for a while now. Would be a huge risk for us to fork 30 mil on him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I doubt that is a hindrance to signing a player. God help us if it is. We're not in the summer yet though so not much rumours will be flying in. We might not even want a CB
Probably depends a lot on if United look for a CB and for which purpose. Squad option who potentially might become great? Schlotterbeck would be fine.

Player who feels much more comfortable in a high line than for example Maguire and can replace him? Probably prefer Akanji over Schlotterbeck.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
After Lindelof and Maguire we don't need more mediocrity at CB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Probably depends a lot on if United look for a CB and for which purpose. Squad option who potentially might become great? Schlotterbeck would be fine.

Player who feels much more comfortable in a high line than for example Maguire and can replace him? Probably prefer Akanji over Schlotterbeck.
Agreed.

Oranges038

Not too gone on him, don't see any outstanding qualities.

Really could be another Bailly with his injury history. Or he could turn out to be a Matip type signing.

But if Bailly and Jones are going to be heading for the exit as they should be. Then he might be a decent option to have.

Mickson

Ah let's just close the message board down then, wait until everything is confirmed before we can discuss things.

Need I remind you the club saw fit to give the likes of Mata, Jones and Bailly new contracts whilst playing very little? Along with the crazy Sanchez wage, this club has form, I apologise of my wording made it sound like it was a done deal, but I was merely speculating on the rumoured wage.

Better?
You can discuss things, but it just seems incredibly weird to blame the club for something they haven't done. Also, the people who gave new contracts to Jones, Bailly, Mata, and Sanchez aren't even at the club now.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You can discuss things, but it just seems incredibly weird to blame the club for something they haven't done. Also, the people who gave new contracts to Jones, Bailly, Mata, and Sanchez aren't even at the club now.
Edited for you, mmkay pumpkin?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Have to buy a new goalkeeper too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You'd assume a squad replacement for Bailly and Jones.
Came here to say that. Can add Tuanzebe to that too. We make a signing, cut 2/3 players and save a lot of money over the next few years. I don’t think he’ll ever mature into our best defender though. I was kind of hoping this 4th slot would go to someone who is young, always fit and has obvious WC potential to lead the defence when Maguire and Varane start dropping off. It’s still a good deal though. Any first experienced teamer we can get at this point for £25 million is better business than we have been doing. The sales of the other players cover his fee and the wage bill drops.

Last edited:

saivet

Small sample size of course, but I thought he stood out as being Switzerland's best defender by a long way when I've watched them at tournaments.
Not a dig at Switzerland but given their pool of defenders, you'd expect him to be their best defender. He was good at the Euros last year though. I've not watched Dortmund this season, but did a lot over the past few years and while I've not been impressed with him, the way Dortmund play football is not easy for a CB as they're often exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.