Manuel Akanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

Come on now. You haven't seen him to even make a comment , have you? He is only 23 ,huge potential and two footed and available for cheap. Ralph has identified our build up from left isn't good enough without a left footed defender and he is very fast to play in a high line. Jones and Bailly leaving will make this signing a no-brainer for 20m.

Remember we are also interested in Kilman. I'm glad that we are actually identifying this as a weak area. I don't think Maguire will survive any decent manager with a progressive game plan.
I agree with your points but Akanji is 26. Not old still

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seriously there should be one CB on our radar. James Tarkowski. The lad gives his absolute all, hes a manchester boy. Hes off-contract. Hes no-nonsense, hes a leader. He's prem proven. Great defender, decent on the ball. Great attitude. Can unseed Maguire in a ceremonial manner. No Ego.
He also plays for Burnley, who defend in an entirely different way than we do. Read Adnan's posts above yours about defending space. That's the type of defender we need.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Come on now. You haven't seen him to even make a comment , have you? He is only 23 ,huge potential and two footed and available for cheap. Ralph has identified our build up from left isn't good enough without a left footed defender and he is very fast to play in a high line. Jones and Bailly leaving will make this signing a no-brainer for 20m.

Remember we are also interested in Kilman. I'm glad that we are actually identifying this as a weak area. I don't think Maguire will survive any decent manager with a progressive game plan.
LVG in disguise.

United in sin

27 in the summer... pretty sure hes right footed
at least according to
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manuel-akanji/profil/spieler/284730

and most of his touches here are on his right

I mentioned him being right footed but more than comfortable with his left. You may have to watch a full Dortmund game and not rely on a highlights reel to see evidence of this. Naturally most of his touches will be on his right, same as Varane who's also comfortable with his weaker foot.

He's clearly not being looked at as a young and upcoming player but an experienced one coming into his prime and ready to contribute. For what it's worth it's not a forgone conclusion he'll be signing for united, same as a few of these other players we've been reported not be interested in lately

He was brilliant against Rangers.. :lol:

Kent had him on toast.
To be fair Akanji was filling in at right back as Thomas Meunier is out injured.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's a slightly-above-average defender and no real improvement or a better talent. I don't really see the point to spend 30m or so on him imo

Devil may care

We spoke about him a while ago mate and having someone of his profile is important, considering the past managers bought CBs who weren't suited to playing in a setup that requires CBs to play in a high defensive line. Akanji as we discussed before wouldn't have been the obvious choice but as a rotational player he'd be someone that would provide a variation and flexibility for a prospective coach that is missing right now. That would then allow us to prioritise the midfield and the CF positions.
If we buy him mate do you see him more as a rotation CB initially with Varane and Lindelof starting? If he's a Bailly/Axel replacement for £20M I don't mind too much as we have so many more pressing issues to address this summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Liked Akanji for a while, was always told he was rubbish by those who watch him more than me though

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If we buy him mate do you see him more as a rotation CB initially with Varane and Lindelof starting? If he's a Bailly/Axel replacement for £20M I don't mind too much as we have so many more pressing issues to address this summer.
As he is more used and suited to playing in a high line and being responsible to cover a huge space than any CB United currently have (except Varane I think) I would not be surprised to see him being picked ahead of Lindelof.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It all depends on how well he does the bread and butter stuff. If he does the simple stuff on the ball we'll then he would be a serious contender to start alongside Varane. And why I say that is because his physical and athletic capabilities, could potentially allow us to implement a high press more effectively due to his ability to defend/cover a large space. Maguire and Lindelof aren't the best at defending a large space.

And if we look at Liverpool, they're a team who can transition from a compact low/mid or compact high block. And they can do that because they have a keeper who is proactive, as well as being capable of sweeping up. They have CBs who are all technically competent, as well as being strong in the air and on the ground defending a large space in 1v1 situations. Midfielders who are again technically competent, tenacious and mobile, which in tandem with the CBs and Keeper, provides the platform for the fullbacks and forwards to thrive in the offensive transition, as well as apply a effective high press due to the CBs and midfielders compressing the vacated space, which makes it difficult for the opponent to find a out ball.

The profile of player they're targeting is obvious imo. Players who are technical (first touch/ball control) as a default setting. And then the attributes follow, attributes like being quick, athletic, tenacious etc, which helps them to control the game both offensively and in defensive transitions because almost every single one of their players is difficult to bypass in a high line. And they can also comfortably transition to defending in a collective approach.

So even though Akanji wouldn't be my first choice, signing a player of his profile provides a coach tactical flexibility, rather than the low/mid block approach we've seen in the last 10 years. I would prefer us to sign Gvardiol, but we're in a situation now where other positions in the team are of a higher priority. So if we can sign someone like Akanji for a reasonable price then I'm all for it.

I'll throw the below in here for anyone that wants to know more about 20 year old Josko Gvardiol.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It all depends on how well he does the bread and butter stuff. If he does the simple stuff on the ball we'll then he would be a serious contender to start alongside Varane. And why I say that is because his physical and athletic capabilities, could potentially allow us to implement a high press more effectively due to his ability to defend/cover a large space. Maguire and Lindelof aren't the best at defending a large space.

And if we look at Liverpool, they're a team who can transition from a compact low/mid or compact high block. And they can do that because they have a keeper who is proactive, as well as being capable of sweeping up. They have CBs who are all technically competent, as well as being strong in the air and on the ground defending a large space in 1v1 situations. Midfielders who are again technically competent, tenacious and mobile, which in tandem with the CBs and Keeper, provides the platform for the fullbacks and forwards to thrive in the offensive transition, as well as apply a effective high press due to the CBs and midfielders compressing the vacated space, which makes it difficult for the opponent to find a out ball.

The profile of player they're targeting is obvious imo. Players who are technical (first touch/ball control) as a default setting. And then the attributes follow, attributes like being quick, athletic, tenacious etc, which helps them to control the game both offensively and in defensive transitions because almost every single one of their players is difficult to bypass in a high line. And they can also comfortably transition to defending in a collective approach.

So even though Akanji wouldn't be my first choice, signing a player of his profile provides a coach tactical flexibility, rather than the low/mid block approach we've seen in the last 10 years. I would prefer us to sign Gvardiol, but we're in a situation now where other positions in the team are of a higher priority. So if we can sign someone like Akanji for a reasonable price then I'm all for it.

I'll throw the below in here for anyone that wants to know more about 20 year old Josko Gvardiol.

So would I mate. He's on record as saying he wants to move to Liverpool, his dream club.

With regards to Akanji, if it means we're shifting Jones and Bailly, and demoting Maguire, I'm all for it. If we're just stockpiling squad players, I'd rather not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So would I mate. He's on record as saying he wants to move to Liverpool, his dream club.

With regards to Akanji, if it means we're shifting Jones and Bailly, and demoting Maguire, I'm all for it. If we're just stockpiling squad players, I'd rather not.
Gvardiol wants to play in the EPL and has said that he grew up watching Liverpool. But I don't think there's a opening at Liverpool anytime soon and like John O'Shea and Solskjaer previously, we can possibly help him swap allegiances.

I think Jones and Bailly will leave.

Devil may care

I can see where you're coming from mate, I think quite often British fans in particular look at the more traditional CB attributes when we're linked with defenders, but if we intend to drag the club into the present we'll need CB's who over different things than just being tough bruisers who are strong in the air. Often these CB's have clips where they look isolated and people question their positioning, but often that's a side effect of playing progressive football with a high line that requires CB's to defend wide open spaces and 1v1 situations quite often.

If we are going for Ten Hag then I can see the options for CB's and Striker's opening up as he's been flexible with how he uses them, if the Puppettino disaster happens I can't see much point, we're going to need traditional, basic type CB's and an oldschool Striker for him to implement his very basic approach to football, in fact I imagine we'll be back to seeing Maguire every week.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Max Kilman please.
He's looked impressive every time I've seen Wolves lately, but I think I'd want to see how he handles himself in a back four before taking the plunge.

Kingslayer18

We should be going for Schlotterbeck
Totally agree! If we want a quick left sided progressive defender, rather go for Schlotterbeck who is younger and has more upside than Akanji. He'll also cost about 20m. Instead of watching Dortmund go after him to replace Akanji, we should be in for him.

jesperjaap

PLayer so many mention for us to sign to replace player we are interested in at half the price people expect us to pay, doesnt make sense...or makes perfect sense with how shambolic we have been

Not sen Schollterbeck but personally not excited about Akanji. Just what I would call a "decent" centre back. Probably better than what we have, but dont really see how he improves us when its a quality starter we need bar being consistent

izec

Jesus christ, half of that would be enough. Clubs are not really lining up for his signature.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Non sense. We will sign him for 10-15m and a salary of 5m.

If we need to pay 30m and 15m salary for this guy, Ralph can resign and Ed can come back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
While I’m not convinced he should be paid the figures quoted, I’d be reassured the more money we invest on a centre half will make it harder for us to take the easy way out and conveniently play Maguire because he cost a lot/is paid a lot. A cheap defender will be a victim of cowardice and sit on the bench. Lindelöf and Bailly this season is already proof of that.

L1nk

Unfortunately he doesn't want to play outside Germany, will probably go to Bayern or Dortmund.
Even if he doesn't, don't feel like we should be funding their pursuit of him by overpaying for Akanji

Zlatattack

Pretty sure this won't happen. Sounds like someone we'd by if we ever finally sold Jones.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Holy, €15m p. a.? That's a lot of money. Decent defender with much talent but that's a very high figure.

L1nk

That salary touted is surely enough to try and entice Rudiger to come here on a free?
I think I read somewhere today Rudiger wouldn't be interested until we get a manager - so he can speak to them

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Holy, €15m p. a.? That's a lot of money. Decent defender with much talent but that's a very high figure.
That number is definitely not true. That would make him on par with Varane who earns slightly more. No way we are paying that kind of money to him. Most likely its entire contract (4-5 years) worth 15m than per annum

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That number is definitely not true. That would make him on par with Varane who earns slightly more. No way we are paying that kind of money to him. Most likely its entire contract (4-5 years) worth 15m than per annum
I can totally see it. He just loves united so much, he halves his current salary and plays for a third of what he's being offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.