Manuel Neuer

cyberman

The gap was always huge. Ever since Atletico, De Gea has had this scared, boyish presence which pales horribly in comparison with Neuer’s monumental posture and huge confidence. Neuer’s ability to PLAY FOOTBALL, not just make saves (which he also has done pretty much better than anyone) is from another planet. De Gea has never had even a fraction of Neuer’s football intelligence, courage and leadership and distribution skills.
You ok?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He's the only keeper today that actually frightens forwards when they run at him 1vs1 like Schmeichel or Kahn did 20-25 years ago. He's rarely flawless throughout a season, always has the odd funny goal against him each year, and he was stuggling after his injuries for a while, but this season he's been immense again. No other goalkeeper comes close. His impact on the playing style of his team is so huge. There's no other keeper who gives his defense so much confidence to play such a high defensive line against elite attacking teams. And he's also elite in the "traditional" parts of goalkeeping.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What a performance. The gap between him and someone like De Gea is massive.

Revan

Assumptionman
In terms of peak performance he is one of the best ever no doubt. He can play both types of goalkeeping equally well, the traditional stay on your line and make a great save stuff and the progressive stuff leaving the box and timing the run, passing the ball. Really the complete package and he allows your team to play a higher line too.

But also let’s not forget he has been prone to some bad mistakes and keeper is such an important position to avoid them. In that way Buffon has been more consistent and was the definition of reliable at the highest level (not recently but he is 42 I mean Buffon well into his 30s) and an unreal shot stopper in his earlier days. So I’d probably still give it to Buffon slightly but Neuer is an all time great.
Neuer’s sweeping ability and his skills will the ball elevate him ahead of Buffon IMO.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
You know I understand when other people want to say ter Stegen or de Gea or whoever were the best goalkeeper in the world. Whatever. Maybe for a season or two they were better than Manuel Neuer. Okay.

But for the last decade there's no goalkeeper in the history of world football that I would have rather had between our goalposts than Manuel Neuer. That includes Oliver Kahn who I revere like a saint.

passing-wind

The difference is he's a clutch player always thrives in the moment of pressure. De Gea is fast declining to the extent I can see him losing his place to Henderson. Not even comparable to compare the two at this point.

Revan

Assumptionman
You know I understand when other people want to say ter Stegen or de Gea or whoever were the best goalkeeper in the world. Whatever. Maybe for a season or two they were better than Manuel Neuer. Okay.

But for the last decade there's no goalkeeper in the history of world football that I would have rather had between our goalposts than Manuel Neuer. That includes Oliver Kahn who I revere like a saint.
He’s by far the best keeper of the decade, it ain’t even close. De Gea, Oblak etc can fight for the second position.

It is a shame that there hasn’t been a real challenger. Buffon had Casillas for example.

ReallyUSA

Though all the shots weren't great, that Neymar save set the tone for the day.

LoneStar

His ball playing and distribution is something else. Bossed it today.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
He’s by far the best keeper of the decade, it ain’t even close. De Gea, Oblak etc can fight for the second position.

It is a shame that there hasn’t been a real challenger. Buffon had Casillas for example.
Buffon was miles above Casillas.

Neuer is miles above all gk's of the past decade though. Nothing against the others, Oblak, De Gea and Ter Tegen are good, but Neuer is the Greatest of all time.

Goalkeepers of 20-30 years ago like Kahn and Schmeichel deserve their reputation, but aren't on the level of modern goalkeepers like Neuer.

led_scholes

The gap was always huge. Ever since Atletico, De Gea has had this scared, boyish presence which pales horribly in comparison with Neuer’s monumental posture and huge confidence. Neuer’s ability to PLAY FOOTBALL, not just make saves (which he also has done pretty much better than anyone) is from another planet. De Gea has never had even a fraction of Neuer’s football intelligence, courage and leadership and distribution skills.
I m not denying what you said about Neuer's abilities. But for me, DDG for about 5 years was the best goalkeeper in the world after Neuer. I was always confident with DDG under our posts. He also looked invicinble. He never reached Neuer's heights but he was not that far, as opposed to now when he looks afraid and has a mistake every two games.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s probably the Goat. Buffon second for longevity.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Surely the best goalkeeper of all time.
Agreed. Up there with the best ever in terms of shot-stopping, etc, but he changed the way the position is played and evaluated on top of that

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Apart from his goalkeeping abilities and passing , he just has this aura that Buffon, Kahn, Schmeichel etc had. People just have respect / fear when going against him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
First time i ever saw him he had an absolute nightmare at Stamford Bridge for Schalke, let a Malouda shot squirm under his body and had a nightmare all night. Come a long way since then :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Given him a fair bit of stick over last 18 months, MTS should be German number one etc but that was a top class performance tonight. Big players doing what they do, proving the critics wrong so fair play to him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good to see he's getting the recognition he deserves. Those who have followed his career could only shake their heads at him being called a clown, fraud, etc.

Luke1995

Will always remember him for his performance against Madrid. Ronaldo scored twice early and Neuer could have lost his mind in self doubt, but he remained calm and catched Ronaldo's penalty, which had a bad psychological effect on the Madrid players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's the only keeper I'd have ahead of Peter Schmeichel. Neuer quite simply is the greatest keeper I've ever had the pleasure of watching play.

Shot stopping, command of area and the ability to sweep and distribute like no one else. That's what you call world class and he does it in the biggest of games in world football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
First time i ever saw him he had an absolute nightmare at Stamford Bridge for Schalke, let a Malouda shot squirm under his body and had a nightmare all night. Come a long way since then :lol:
There is a few mistakes in him and it always has been the case. He’s not infallible but Goat for me overall.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There is a few mistakes in him and it always has been the case. He’s not infallible but Goat for me overall.
His reputation did take a knock during 2018 WC. Loads were laughing at him for playing upfront for the last few minutes of the Korea game and he arguably could've done better for Mexico winner aswell. Then wasn't great for Bayern the following year and had a bad injury.

Thought he was brilliant from 2010-17. Very interesting debate about being GOAT, I assume he's seen in Germany as their best ever in that position?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So many times you think a player has been played through on goal only to find Neuer about 40 yards off his line to sweep up. Never seen a keeper as proactive. He's incredible
exhibit a

Cloud7

I can't speak for goalkeepers in the past since I don't like to comment on players I never watched before, but Neuer is without a doubt the best keeper I've watched in my lifetime.

As a sweeper he is second to none, and so many keepers in our generation try to play the sweeper keeper role and none of them do it as good as Neuer. In the box, his actual goalkeeping is top notch. His shot stopping is superb, his physical presence and command of his box, coming out for crosses etc are all great. His passing is quite good as well.

It's difficult to imagine how a keeper could be better than him really. He just has so much to his game. Even if there may be some others that were marginally better at shot stopping or something like that, his ability as a sweeper elevates him above them all for me.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't he make an error for Chelsea's goal just a few games ago? He was TBITW before his injury, then DDG took it for a year or so, now it's still Ter Stegan for me followed by Oblak

Neuer did roll back the years some what tonight though

Lyricist

Didn't he make an error for Chelsea's goal just a few games ago? He was TBITW before his injury, then DDG took it for a year or so, now it's still Ter Stegan for me followed by Oblak

That said, even with Ter Stegen having become a world class goalkeeper, he still isn't starting ahead of Neuer for Germany. Neuer has been brilliant all season really.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That said, even with Ter Stegen having become a world class goalkeeper, he still isn't starting ahead of Neuer for Germany. Neuer has been brilliant all season really.
Politics involved there no? Didn't Bayern say if Germany drop him for Ter Stegan they'd block and further call ups or something? Bit like how Spain kept playing Casillas

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

Yes, his injury did set him back for a bit, but I think there is no doubt about who is the best gk is the past decade.

Probably the best ever. Manual Neuer.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
World class tonight, he won the trophy for Bayern , PSG could've scored 5. Best keeper in the past 20 years.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I still vividly remember the SAF interview after the Schalke semi final in 11 when he was asked about signing Neuer and replied something along the lines of he is going elsewhere. The move to Bayern was only rumoured at that point.

Anyway, my heart sunk.

Bojan11

I still vividly remember the SAF interview after the Schalke semi final in 11 when he was asked about signing Neuer and replied something along the lines of he is going elsewhere. The move to Bayern was only rumoured at that point.

Anyway, my heart sunk.
Fergie wanted Neuer. But Eric Steele was adamant we go for De Gea.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ball-news/man-utd-ferguson-gea-neuer-11136323

Neuer probably still would have chose Bayern. And not like it worked out badly for us, De Gea has been a great player for us even though he’s been piss poor the last year.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
His reputation did take a knock during 2018 WC. Loads were laughing at him for playing upfront for the last few minutes of the Korea game and he arguably could've done better for Mexico winner aswell. Then wasn't great for Bayern the following year and had a bad injury.

Thought he was brilliant from 2010-17. Very interesting debate about being GOAT, I assume he's seen in Germany as their best ever in that position?
It's between him and Kahn I'd say, but yeah, especially the younger fans see him as the best. He's as good as anyone in traditional goal keeping and the best sweeper ever. And similarly to Ter Stegen, he's a really, really good footballer that is hard to press and a great passer. Kahn wasn't.

This season was quite a statement by Neuer. Most people in here saw Ter Stegen ahead of him. But with this performance, this may change again.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Its pretty crazy how a great this sweeper keeper can allow you to tactically play a defensive line that can sit so high up.

As great as our goal keeper maybe- he doesnt even come out of his line during a corner to help our defensive line out. :(

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

Well Germany has had quite a few world class GKs. I think no country can compare. Sepp Meier, Schumacher, Illgner, Köpke, Kahn, Lehmann, Neuer, MTS, just to name a few.
For many it is still Kahn, because he was extremely iconic with his personality etc. but yeah i personally also say Neuer is the GOAT. Even before this season, but now there is no doubt about it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Its pretty crazy how a great this sweeper keeper can allow you to tactically play a defensive line that can sit so high up.

As great as our goal keeper maybe- he doesnt even come out of his line during a corner to help our defensive line out. :(
A lot of it imho is not just style of play but also just straight up confidence. I love Dave but you just never quite feel like he s commanding that box like a boss man. Neuer is ice cold. Like it doesn't matter if there is such a thing as CBs...he ll play that role too just to be safe.