Manuel Neuer

Based Adnan

He's the GOAT for me. Superb in every single aspect of goalkeeping and has an aura that makes strikers scared to face him to boot.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Fair fecks to him and muller in a sense both were written off and have come back firing.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Id hardly call that horribly wrong.
If the guy smacks a volley in from the halfway line perfectly you just hold your hand up.
It's also less likely to go horribly wrong when you're playing a higher line of defense than Schalke did in this sequence. There's a reason stuff like this almost never happens with Bayern's style of play.

Suedesi

Well Germany has had quite a few world class GKs. I think no country can compare. Sepp Meier, Schumacher, Illgner, Köpke, Kahn, Lehmann, Neuer, MTS, just to name a few.
For many it is still Kahn, because he was extremely iconic with his personality etc. but yeah i personally also say Neuer is the GOAT. Even before this season, but now there is no doubt about it.
Insane talent. Schumacher was a favorite of mine growing up, Illgner was a beast and Kopke was so agile. Kahn was great, but Neuer for me has been better and more successful (NT/Bayern)

RedDevil@84

Stopping an offside goal and showing off. Shades of CR7 removing shirt and all in that finals.

But when you are that good, guess you could be a show off

Suedesi

Stopping an offside goal and showing off. Shades of CR7 removing shirt and all in that finals.

But when you are that good, guess you could be a show off
The big stage just seems to suit him. And if you look at what he has won, you can say that he is one of the greatest of all time.

Skeezix

So he is the reason why Bayern have conceded only 4 or 5 goals in the CL this season. That Bayern defense is not the best, but the guy seems to save every possible one on one.
His distribution is also pin point. Terrific goalkeeper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great keeper but unless I missed a few he didn't make any exceptional saves today. Neymar's was a total chance on the wrong foot. Mbappe's effort was rubbish. And Di Maria ballooned his chance. I'm sure he all other aspects well - concentration, sweeper keeper role etc but people are clamouring in this thread as if he's put on some unreal show when really in terms of chances it was PSG who did a poor job.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
sometimes it goes horribly wrong
Even in that clip it's:
the odds of Milito converting a 1v1
vs
the odds of someone scoring with a volley from the middle of the pitch

Anyway, Neuer's quality was and is that he reads the game so well this happens once in a blue moon, while at the other times he defuses a 1v1 in its tracks.

Suedesi

Even in that clip it's:
the odds of Milito converting a 1v1
vs
the odds of someone scoring with a volley from the middle of the pitch

Anyway, Neuer's quality was and is that he reads the game so well this happens once in a blue moon, while at the other times he defuses a 1v1 in its tracks.
Doubt he processed it that way, he just had a rush of blood to the head - which is fine it happened 10+ years ago, he's clearly learned and gotten better.

If he calculating odds, he'd have put the ball into touch on the side, instead of trying a dolphin kick and being 30 yards from goal. Of course Dejan's execution is perfect, but even if that wasn't the case, a decent midfielder would have had time to stop, control the ball, aim, shoot and still score.

Not taking anything from Neuer, btw, my assessment is that he's one of the best goalkeepers ever

Squeaky Bumtime

Best keeper in the world by a mile. He wouldnt have such a brilliant game if he wasnt on a vacation in Croatia, mind you. :)

RoyH1

Back to his imperial best. When a GK is so dominant as he was yesterday, it just makes strikers start second guessing themselves.

::sonny::

The gap was always huge. Ever since Atletico, De Gea has had this scared, boyish presence which pales horribly in comparison with Neuer’s monumental posture and huge confidence. Neuer’s ability to PLAY FOOTBALL, not just make saves (which he also has done pretty much better than anyone) is from another planet. De Gea has never had even a fraction of Neuer’s football intelligence, courage and leadership and distribution skills.
Agreed 100%

Great keeper but unless I missed a few he didn't make any exceptional saves today. Neymar's was a total chance on the wrong foot. Mbappe's effort was rubbish. And Di Maria ballooned his chance. I'm sure he all other aspects well - concentration, sweeper keeper role etc but people are clamouring in this thread as if he's put on some unreal show when really in terms of chances it was PSG who did a poor job.
Like Schmeichel, who only rarely had to make 'great' saves, his near perfect positioning means he often only has to make what look like routine saves. He is always set where he needs to be by the time a striker is ready to take a shot, so it takes incredible placement to get it past him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You know I understand when other people want to say ter Stegen or de Gea or whoever were the best goalkeeper in the world. Whatever. Maybe for a season or two they were better than Manuel Neuer. Okay.

But for the last decade there's no goalkeeper in the history of world football that I would have rather had between our goalposts than Manuel Neuer. That includes Oliver Kahn who I revere like a saint.
De Gea had one or two seasons as the best in the world (his best seasons, but more importantly Neuer's poorer seasons including the injury). Ter Stegen is arguably the one who took over that position last season while both De Gea and Neuer were fairly poor. But when Neuer is actually at his best there really isn't any competition. While they were both at their best the gap between him and De Gea was as big as the gap between De Gea and #3rd place.

Neuer definitely has a strong claim as the best of all time. He's the only one who really combines the scary dominate-everything presence of the likes of Schmeichel and Kahn (perhaps not quite as scary as them but not far off) while basically being the prototype of the ball-playing goalkeeper of today. It's a great combination that just brings so much to the team.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
Like Schmeichel, who only rarely had to make 'great' saves, his near perfect positioning means he often only has to make what look like routine saves. He is always set where he needs to be by the time a striker is ready to take a shot, so it takes incredible placement to get it past him.
Exactly. He imposed his presence as a sweeper keeper that the PSG attackers are finding it hard to take a well placed shot in the first place. He is such an intimidating presence that it can throw off the best attackers in the game.

It's the same with defenders not having to do a lot of last ditch tackles because they are already in a good position to intercept the pass.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappe and ADM shots didn't even require decent positioning though. There was no incredible shot needed.

Mbappe and ADM shots didn't even require decent positioning though. There was no incredible shot needed.
Well Mbappe's shots were both terrible and ADM missed, but Neymar and Marquinho's shots were hard, low and to the corners, and Neuer barely had to move to get to them. Neither save will be on his career highlight reel but a lot of keepers (possibly including our own) would have made a much bigger deal of those or even let one of them past.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's the Alisson fallacy. Can't be a great save if you aren't at full stretch or something.

Neuer is the definition of modern goalkeeping.

::sonny::

GOAT

He plays 3 role GK, Sweeper, Defensive playmaker, and he is the best in all 3 roles

Guardiola said that at least one time he would want to try him in another role outside the goal as a movement player

HTG

Supports
Bayern
GOAT

He plays 3 role GK, Sweeper, Defensive playmaker, and he is the best in all 3 roles

Guardiola said that at least one time he would want to try him in another role outside the goal as a movement player
He actually wanted to do it, but our management deemed it too disrespectful so they stopped it. A shame really. Would have loved to see this.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hes just a complete goalkeeper when on song.
Dominates his area
Isnt rooted to his spot
Sprays the ball pretty comfortablely witg either foot.
What a player.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Although it's pretty hard to admit for me, I think he's the GOAT because of the overall value he brings to a team in modern football. He will leave a gigantic gap once he retires, nationalteam and Bayern.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's the Alisson fallacy. Can't be a great save if you aren't at full stretch or something.

Neuer is the definition of modern goalkeeping.
What has Alisson got to do with it? The comparison with Schmeichel was ample.

Suedesi

When attackers cover their faces in disbelief after they were all but certain to score :D
That point blank save against Ronaldo with his wrists and that match against Porto when he was at Schalke will always stand out for me. I think Porto would/should have won 5:1 had it not been for Neuer, and the match went all the way to penalties. By that time the penalties came to be, Porto players didn't even want to shoot, it was a foregone conclusion they were going to lose.

Would have LOVED him at United, and in fairness we did try, but he was always Bayern bound.

meamth

I think he has the strongest arm in GK, ever.

Some of the saves he made is just ridiculously performed with just one hand.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I am sorry, but I am sick of this Neuer love here. Of course, he was always better than any keeper in the PL (in the last 10 years - these debates were always silly). But still, I hate the guy.
I assume that it helps that he has been playing for elite teams, so he was not called upon that frequently. It makes things easier for a keeper.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I am sorry, but I am sick of this Neuer love here. Of course, he was always better than any keeper in the PL (in the last 10 years - these debates were always silly). But still, I hate the guy.
I assume that it helps that he has been playing for elite teams, so he was not called upon that frequently. It makes things easier for a keeper.
Doesn't playing for elite teams actually make it harder for a goalkeeper? Since you lack routine and have less chances to shine. He had great (all in all GOAT worthy) performances for Bayern and the national team, but for most people I know the Porto match for example sticks out the most, doesn't it? Imho playing for a team one level below elite with a shaky defense is the best situation for a strong keeper to actually show off his strength.
To clarify: Schalke was no elite team, even with Neuer and when they were 2nd in the Bundesliga. Reaching the semifinal of the UCL back in the days was a hickup at best and Neuer played a huge part in that campaign.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
So who is better then ? Any Bundesliga keeper ?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The earlier pages of this thread make for some interesting reading in hindsight.