Marcel Sabitzer | Do not use for player performance chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I find his detractors odd. What exactly has he done wrong in his literal handful of games, while adjusting to the PL and a new team, that is anything but positive?

we have other gaping holes fill and duds to get rid of. Sabitzer so far, in his limited number of games, makes sense
Up until the last couple of games when he's been playing as a #10, what had he done right to show that he'd be a useful player? Up until then he'd been very average and tended to barely be involved. He'd been no better than McTominay who pretty much everyone wants to sell, and worse than Fred.

It is early days and he hasn't played next to Casemiro, so there was always the possibility he just needed more gametime to play himself into form. But there's also the possibility that what he'd been showing is what he'd always be like, in which case signing him wouldn't make sense. He's been better in the last couple games when played higher up (he's still not getting involved anywhere near as much as I'd want, but at least what he is doing has been more effective), but once again it's early days. I certainly haven't made up my mind which I think it is, but I'm leaning towards him not being useful enough to warrant signing him permanently.

Zed 101

I guess it all comes down to total squad, if we are signing 1 or 2 mids in the summer, plus the return of Mejbri and Amad, we are going to be overstocked with midfielders who are not good enough to be 1st choice 11, if we lose McT, if we only sign one other mid, if Mejbri goes back out on loan.... then all of a sudden Sabitzer becomes a necessity just for numbers.

I would say in Sabitzer's defence, we are more than happy to talk about players needing a season in the prem etc... Sabitzer has shown some good things, ok for the main part has not set the world on fire but he has only played a handful of games, if we had signed him on a perm deal, I doubt many would be as quick to throw him to the scrap heap.

Less than £20m, if he is happy to be a squad player then, I am more than happy. seems a nice guy who has a good attitude and fits in well.

NZT-One

Supposedly currently on £200K + a week, can't be paying that for a squad player.
That is something that needs to be negotiated. Would be odd to not even think in a certain direction in an preemptive attempt to know what another person is thinking. If there's no deal, there's no deal. End of story anybody can move on. You'd hope, the club has learned from previous mistakes and is in possession of a list of viable midfield options.

Guy can play in any of the positions in midfield if Eriksens out, he’s in, Bruno out, he’s in, casemiro out he’s in. We need to rest players more than we do at the moment
We currently have Fred, McTominay and DVB as midfield options - all of them are not at all like for like replacements for the starters both in terms of skill set and skill level. That means, that as soon as we have to replace one of the starters, we have to adjust the plan, which is certainly possible, but a trouble a forward thinking clubs will try to prevent as it is an unnecessary difficulty. It is good to have one or two versatile utility players, but currently, it doesn't look like we will get a lot for neither of our bench option - so why spend 20 mio for a slightly better bench option, who just as all the others, isn't a like for like replacement. And, has shown his best stuff (not just at United, also at Leipzig) as some sort of combatitive(?) #10, a position where probably Uniteds best and seemingly fittest player plays plus we'd have Eriksen and to a degree maybe even Amad. Sabitzer might be able to play other roles as well, but probably not to a better level than Fred or McTominay (even if for different reasons).

Sabitzer is a good player, the price sounds more than fair, but an ambitious club isn't just buying stuff for the sake of a good price.

I find his detractors odd. What exactly has he done wrong in his literal handful of games, while adjusting to the PL and a new team, that is anything but positive?

we have other gaping holes fill and duds to get rid of. Sabitzer so far, in his limited number of games, makes sense
I'd say, lets not make it some personal thing. I don't me to be labeled a detractor just because I'd like the club to be a little more ambitious. I think, the reasons (outlayed above) are substancial, if you don't subscribe to them, you don't have to. Sure you wouldn't like me calling you a cheap bargain hunter.

How are we going to swap a player that’s out with a season ending injury? Nobody is going to touch him
Didn't say it would be easy. I agree, it would be difficult, but when we bought DVB he was compared to Müller a lot. So at least Bayern had a player like him in the team so maybe they could be pursued. I mean, lets face it, they aren't interested in Sabitzer as well, so if its a swap, maybe it can be some sort of new start for all parties. If we don't have to outlay any cash, than I'd be fine with bringing him in, as soon as money is involved, I'd advertise for a more ambitious transfer. I am sure, somewhere in the world you could get a 20million midfielder who at least is talked about as having potential to be a starter for a top club.

Drizzle

I guess you'd call me a detractor, although I don't by any means think he's a bad player. I just don't think he's done much for us. He looks out of his depth in deeper positions, and is busy and competent in advanced positions without being anything special.

And £20m is not nothing given our ffp restrictions. I'd like to see if there are better younger players who we could get for that money, or maybe a smart freebie. Or maybe add it to a pot to get a genuinely world class midfielder. If there's nothing better, then by all means get him, he's alright as a squad option.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the debate is not about the money but about how we rate the player. Probably not fair to say this after he scores a couple but personally I’d prefer Rabiot. Sabitzer doesn’t impact games enough. Sure he’s neat and tidy but is he going to up the level of the team? For me, no, not based on what we’ve seen so far. Whereas I think that Rabiot can fill the same roles, be more impactful and is a higher level of player. Just one problem, his mum

croadyman

I think the debate is not about the money but about how we rate the player. Probably not fair to say this after he scores a couple but personally I’d prefer Rabiot. Sabitzer doesn’t impact games enough. Sure he’s neat and tidy but is he going to up the level of the team? For me, no, not based on what we’ve seen so far. Whereas I think that Rabiot can fill the same roles, be more impactful and is a higher level of player. Just one problem, his mum
May as well get both because how things are looking our budget for summer will be pathetic

E-mal

I hope we dont even entertain keeping him longer than may, he is not good enough. Additionally, please no more players from Germany, please!

cyberman

Not for me. If we sign Mac Allister or somebody I can’t see a place for him. He just doesn’t score enough for the position he plays and how he’s supposedly meant to perform.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I keep saying it - we need playmakers. CMs who can form part of the engine room. This fellow is another all action / box to box who doesn’t excel at running football matches. We don’t need need him. ETH can add him as an option but the team needs different qualities to seriously improve and he hasn’t got them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rabiot is a better fit because he’s a proper CM. I’d prefer someone better but he’d add more than Sabitzer

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rabiot is a better fit because he’s a proper CM. I’d prefer someone better but he’d add more than Sabitzer
But even Rabbit doesn’t do much because he’s another low volume, low passing accuracy CM. We desperately need some guys who know what to do in the first and middle phase of the pitch and retain possession for us. We got cooked by a 36 year old Ivan Rakitic last night.

Our central midfield cannot go toe to toe with most teams. Massively lacks the ability to set the play

gajender

I keep saying it - we need playmakers. CMs who can form part of the engine room. This fellow is another all action / box to box who doesn’t excel at running football matches. We don’t need need him. ETH can add him as an option but the team needs different qualities to seriously improve and he hasn’t got them.
He isn't even that infact we dont have a single quality Box to Box midfielder they may not be ideal in our situation but they would have been quite handy this season to be honest what we have are substandard pale imitators nothing more .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He's likeable enough, but agree, feels like I barely notice him whenever he's in the team.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Send him back to Bayern at the end of the season.

SAFMUTD

Sounds harsh but that injury I think was a blessing in disguise. No one thinks we should sign him now but before the injury there was talk about I think even Sabizter comment on it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sounds harsh but that injury I think was a blessing in disguise. No one thinks we should sign him now but before the injury there was talk about I think even Sabizter comment on it.
I think it was the many injuries that did it. He was versatile and good, but in the small stint he was here he couldn't be relied on.

SAFMUTD

Wherever he goes, it certainly won't be for the £22M or something that they quoted us
Its amazing how his value dropped, 1-2 years ago when he was at Leipzig anyone would have said he was worth 30-40M at least. Really the bundesliga makes attackers shine way more that they should.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we should sign him permanently, if possible. Would be a great addition to our midfield.

How much would he be? £30M, £40M? Wouldn't be expensive anyway.
I’ve got some good news for you - they only want £15m. No brainer?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

You can be damn sure that if we wanted to make his deal permanent before we sent him back they’d have tried to take advantage of it by asking for a higher fee. Now they know there’s not much demand for him and he’s on high wages, they’re being reasonable, truth is no club that would want him would be able to afford his wages and any clubs that could afford them wouldn’t want him. It’s good to see another club stuck in a situation we always find ourselves in.

OverratedOpinion

I think he's a far better player than that transfer fee suggests but now we are signing Mount we probably need a slightly different profile of midfielder. I wouldn't be opposed though, I think he's a good player.

0le

I do not think he did anything to justify making his move permanent, even as a back-up player.

Yakuza_devils

We don't need him. He was signed on loan because of Eriksen's injury. We have also signed Mount.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would like him if he could be trusted to stay fit. I don't think he's shown that though.

lex talionis

Sell McTominay for 15m and pay 10m for Sabitzer and we’ve upgraded our depth in midfield.

We'd be crazy to offer him a permanent deal. He's not done anything wrong on the loan but he's also not shown he's an upgrade on the squad players we already have, especially with Mount joining.

lex talionis

We don't need Sabitzer. We need cover for Casemiro.
We do need, however, to move McTominay out. I’m not a hater, but he just needs to go. I’m worried that Eriksen is in free fall athletically. Fred can still do a job for us, but I trust Sabitzer with the ball more than I trust Fred with the ball. We do need cover for Casemiro, but our midfield isn’t set just with the addition of cover for Casemiro.

That said, I’m not sure who in the youth squad is ready to step up. Maybe Mainoo, but I have no idea.

Yakuza_devils

We'd be crazy to offer him a permanent deal. He's not done anything wrong on the loan but he's also not shown he's an upgrade on the squad players we already have, especially with Mount joining.
This. We should aim higher. We are trying to close the gap with City and not make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.