Marcel Sabitzer | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroManiac

It's going to be a loan deal, but I'm hoping there's an option to buy him on a permanent deal in case he has a great half of the season with us

Zed 101

is Merson banging on about Arsenal panic buying Jorginho for 12m when he has only 6 months left on his contract.....talk about some thirsty bitches
For Merson panic buying is realising that the off lisence is closing in 10 minutes and he has run out of Tennants super

Gerald G

Nah. It is panic but panic buys are occasionally necessary. Like I'm big injury situations. Unless you have some good versatility, best case is usually a squad of 2 senior players per position and then some young talent good enough to get minutes who is versatile. We had 2 for that position between Eriksen and Fred, but lost 1 to a big injury so just replacing him on loan. Now it's Fred and him competing.

Reacting quickly and getting a solid player like this who fits and is versatile is actually a very good piece of business IMO. Worthy of praise rather than criticism. Expecting to have 3 players per position is never going to happen nor should it, though long term when we replace McTominay we'd maybe be able to have somebody who can cover both Casemiro and the deep playmaker position. That's where versatility is required.
100% agree. How anyone can criticise this deal I don't know

davisjw

I love our fans:

"PANIC, ERIKSEN IS INJURED!"

"NOW PANIC, WE'RE TRYING TO GET SOMEONE SHORT-TERM TO HELP WITH 24 HOURS LEFT IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW."

"PANIC MORE, HE'S NOT A SUPERSTAR, BECAUSE THEY'RE ALWAYS AVAILABLE THE DAY THE JANUARY WINDOW CLOSE."

We aren't getting anyone better than him last minute. So the two options are 1. do nothing or 2. do this and hope for the best.

If 2. falls apart because he doesn't work then we have a new bench warmer and we revert back to 1.

At least 2. gives us options.

I'm glad to see us having a go. It shows intent by the club.

Last edited:

Zippycup

Not sure why some of you laugh and have a pop at Merson. We’re going in for a player with hours left until the deadline in response to some injury news. Could definitely be construed as a panic buy.

Also if Merse had sat there and said about every single one of our signings over the past 10 years that “they’ll be absolutely fecking shit” he’d have a 90% strike rate.

I do trust Ten Hag though even if this last min. He has a proper system that players could slide into.
Or you know.
Being responsive.

Smores

Not played much recently by looks of it. Can't see him starting for a couple of week whilst he gets match fit.

Blackwidow

I don't get the need for a panic flight?? can't they do the medical in Germany and sign all the contracts remotely.... still guess it is progress from the fax
Why? There is still some time. He will arrive in 2 hours in Manchester and then you still have 4 hours.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's going to be a loan deal, but I'm hoping there's an option to buy him on a permanent deal in case he has a great half of the season with us
Nah we shouldn't really be looking to buy in any scenario. We have Fred as a squad player, they're similar ages, he's good but not great. If we buy a midfielder in the summer, I'd go for tielemans on a free or Kovačić from Chelsea if we are skint. Otherwise we go big on Frenkie or bennacer or someone else (Enzo if he doesn't leave today).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Glad we’ve jumped on this. We know we need body’s in midfield to help us push for our targets this season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
it's not a panic buy....it's a loan move FFS how hard is that concept to grasp
Nah. It is panic but panic buys are occasionally necessary. Like I'm big injury situations. Unless you have some good versatility, best case is usually a squad of 2 senior players per position and then some young talent good enough to get minutes who is versatile. We had 2 for that position between Eriksen and Fred, but lost 1 to a big injury so just replacing him on loan. Now it's Fred and him competing.

Reacting quickly and getting a solid player like this who fits and is versatile is actually a very good piece of business IMO. Worthy of praise rather than criticism. Expecting to have 3 players per position is never going to happen nor should it, though long term when we replace McTominay we'd maybe be able to have somebody who can cover both Casemiro and the deep playmaker position. That's where versatility is required.
No, no and no. We've known schedule will be super tight for this season, we have a very ambitious manager who's proven he can keep us in all the cups AND we've already had injuries to Martial, Dalot and DvdB in midfield. The only praise this move gets from me is for the manager who is pulling rabbits out of another hat on the pitch and in the transfer market.

It's not even a buy is it?
Indeed but obviously, buy here is used in the sense of a lease :)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's got some decent stats for the analytics heads

His work rate/engine will be useful against a midfield like Barca's
Like for like on the dribbling stats which is a bit disappointing, but yeah his engine in the midfield will be massively appreciated. Players like him and Fernandes might not be the cleanest technical players but they’ve got the dawg in them

TheReligion

Abusive
Not sure why some of you laugh and have a pop at Merson. We’re going in for a player with hours left until the deadline in response to some injury news. Could definitely be construed as a panic buy.

Also if Merse had sat there and said about every single one of our signings over the past 10 years that “they’ll be absolutely fecking shit” he’d have a 90% strike rate.

I do trust Ten Hag though even if this last min. He has a proper system that players could slide into.
It’s his inability to be neutral that irritates people especially when he gets a platform to speak

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I love our fans:

"PANIC, ERIKSEN IS INJURED!"

"NOW PANIC, WE'RE TRYING TO GET SOMEONE SHORT-TERM TO HELP WITH 24 HOURS LEFT IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW."

"PANIC MORE, HE'S NOT A SUPERSTAR, BECAUSE THEY'RE ALWAYS AVAILABLE A DAY BEFORE THE JANUARY WINDOW CLOSE."

We aren't getting anyone better than him last minute. So the two options are 1. do nothing or 2. do this and hope for the best.

If 2. falls apart because he doesn't work then we have a new bench warmer and we revert back to 1.

At least 2. gives us options.

I'm glad to see us having a go. It shows intent by the club.
Imagine throwing a hissy fit based on one or two random comments. No one here is actually panicking bar you.

Real Name

Oh no, we lost Eriksen and we won't buy someone instead.

We're buying Sabitzer.

Oh no, it's a panic buy, board doesn't have a clue!!

BlueHaze

To be honest going after these types of signings/players gives me some hope our new manager has a good eye for what suits the team instead of going for any random ''big name'' player..

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just had a look at the Bayern team and even Muller gets picked ahead of this guy!

Casemiro and Varane don't really compare. Madrid are happy to cash in players once they have had the best out of them.

We are signing a player that can't get in the Bayern team.
"even Müller"? :lol:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Or else…the plane gets shot down? :nervous:
Yeah, but really we should have sufficient strength in depth to deal with an injury and should have been planning at the start of Jan to get bodies in, knowing we could get an injury. It’s totally reactive and not proactive but this is the United everyone is used to.
Yeah I guess so. It’s certainly reactive, I just think panic buy is probably the wrong term. But yeah, you signed two 30 year olds and the manager seems to want to play them both in every match. So this was hardly an unpredictable scenario.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Like for like on the dribbling stats which is a bit disappointing, but yeah his engine in the midfield will be massively appreciated. Players like him and Fernandes might not be the cleanest technical players but they’ve got the dawg in them
Our passing will drop a bit but we'll be much harder to play against IMO. Better at winning the ball up the pitch, quicker and more dynamic midfielders. Might hurt a bit in some lower table games but it'll balance out. Just glad we'll have 2 players who you can trust their fitness and energy in Fred and Sabitzer now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we can get this guy in and he's even remotely decent it's an utter no brainer.

DVB injured, Eriksen out. McTom a few problems, and down to Casmerio and Fred?

I dare say some are getting hoarse shouting for the likes of Iqbal, but we need a proper experienced player in there to at least give us the equivalent of what Weigy is doing up front.

mu4c_20le

If we can get this guy in and he's even remotely decent it's an utter no brainer.

DVB injured, Eriksen out. McTom a few problems, and down to Casmerio and Fred?

I dare say some are getting hoarse shouting for the likes of Iqbal, but we need a proper experienced player in there to at least give us the equivalent of what Weigy is doing up front.
Gallagher was available for 40M

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I guess so. It’s certainly reactive, I just think panic buy is probably the wrong term. But yeah, you signed two 30 year olds and the manager seems to want to play them both in every match. So this was hardly an unpredictable scenario.
I mean not sure why the age is overly relevant. We badly needed some experience and quality in there.

Real Name

That would be true if it was a muscular injury, not cause of a challenge. Eriksen I mean.

Rolaholic

The journo really followed him to the gate to confirm his destination :lol: :lol:

It's a loan with an option to buy apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.