Marcel Sabitzer | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

I can see us looking for a permanent move in the summer. Bayern midfield has better players all younger than him. I expect him to have a good spell and push for the move.
Let's wait till how he plays for us for a few games first.

Mr.Hik

Bayern is doing us solid one. We always had good relationships with them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can see us looking for a permanent move in the summer. Bayern midfield has better players all younger than him. I expect him to have a good spell and push for the move.
I'd say there is minimal chances at that even if he does well.

United have Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay and Fred as their deeper 2 midfielders currently. We all know we need a starter next to Casemiro. McTominay will probably be sold, so that also means we need a DM depth player. Fred will stay as depth, and Eriksen will rotate between CM depth and #10 depth. There's no space for Sabitzer in that scenario and it would be a pointless signing. Would only make sense in the event that Fred is sold for whatever reason, which I don't think will happen. There's only a year between Sabitzer and Fred anyway. No real point to that.

tjb

Who is better fit for our CM out of Bellingham and De Jong do you think seeing as that Argentinian couldn't wait until end of the season
De Jong....but I wouldn't do that deal. Personally for a midfielder, I don't think the figures being discussed make sense. We already saw how limited the impact even a class midfielder like Pogba. Bellingham, for me, is also heavily overpriced, at a big team I think his impact would be very limited. Like with Pogba I don't think money like that should be thrown at players, particularly in midfield, that still need to be trained and mounded to suit the team, because there is always that massive chance that that never happens.

I think we can find a midfielder, whether creative or a box to box talent that can compliment Casemiro and be quality without us spending exorbitant fees. Players like Anguissa are dominating Italian football without them having to drop 100m.

I think the majority of the money we spend in the summer should be on a striker.

Shimo

Have to say am very impressed by the club. Seen quite a few people say it is a reactive buy but, with a negative connotation. It is reactive but, for me it's a sign of some real great planning/organization. They had identified potential player that they could possibly target / attain as a stop gap if need be. Yes, if this happened after the window shut then we would be in trouble but, Eriksen has played all but, 1 of our competitive games and signing Sabitzer earlier would have meant just bench time and been a hard sell to him to agree to leave Bayern for our bench. Now he knows that he is going to compete with Fred most likely and will have a chance to be a regular starter. For the club, brining another older player just to sit around was not part of the strategy they seem to have and ETH has been quite clear they have one. If anything they would have been looking at a lot younger player to come in and deputize this summer or someone who is level above Eriksen, like a De Jong.

Might not be ETH top target but, that was not going to be likely this January but, seems to have got a player with a profile that really fits his philosophy.

SirScholes

De Jong....but I wouldn't do that deal. Personally for a midfielder, I don't think the figures being discussed make sense. We already saw how limited the impact even a class midfielder like Pogba. Bellingham, for me, is also heavily overpriced, at a big team I think his impact would be very limited. Like with Pogba I don't think money like that should be thrown at players, particularly in midfield, that still need to be trained and mounded to suit the team, because there is always that massive chance that that never happens.

I think we can find a midfielder, whether creative or a box to box talent that can compliment Casemiro and be quality without us spending exorbitant fees. Players like Anguissa are dominating Italian football without them having to drop 100m.

I think the majority of the money we spend in the summer should be on a striker.
You don’t think money should be thrown at the very centre of the pitch and using pogba as your example ?
he’s a terrible example to use

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
wow.. Eriksen Mk. II.

Casemiro understudy

I'm impressed by little I saw. He seems to fit in nicely with ETH's "philosophy".

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nagelsmann : "When Bayern asked me if we can loan a midfielder to United I said no. But then they followed up with 'they'll be loaning us Scott McTomminay next season as a gift' I said YES very loudly and fist pumped the air".
:lol::lol:

Abhinav

Losing Eriksen for 3-4 months is a big blow, especially on the creativity of the midfield. Eriksen has been integral to almost all goals we have scored recently.
Getting a replacement who from all views, seems competent, cushions the blow somewhat. However, I expect Fred to play a lot more now as it will be difficult for a new person to come-in and immediately get used to the way we play.

SAFMUTD

I'd say there is minimal chances at that even if he does well.

United have Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay and Fred as their deeper 2 midfielders currently. We all know we need a starter next to Casemiro. McTominay will probably be sold, so that also means we need a DM depth player. Fred will stay as depth, and Eriksen will rotate between CM depth and #10 depth. There's no space for Sabitzer in that scenario and it would be a pointless signing. Would only make sense in the event that Fred is sold for whatever reason, which I don't think will happen. There's only a year between Sabitzer and Fred anyway. No real point to that.
We have abosolutely no depth in midfield. Sabitzer will be a nailed starter from here until the season ends due to Eriksen's injury. I dont see why a permanent deal can't happen if he does well here.

NoPace

I'm quite sure both were first eleven players from their debut seasons onwards at our club.

But I get what you're trying to say. Lets hope he performs better than Fred/McT. I wouldn't dare to expect him to hit the levels of Eriksen.
I think we should expect Ander Herrera with exactly 2 nice goals he wouldn’t have scored and 1 less header won every games.

always_hoping

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s he like creative wise? We’re losing lots of creativity in the middle with Eriksen out so that only really leaves us Bruno with creativity and possibly sancho when back. I know Casemiro has got some creativity with his passing but that ain’t his main role. I think this sabitzer will get a few goals and maybe his long range shooting will help against low blocks.

jeepers

Thing is, we needed a signing even before Eriksens injury to get us through to the end of the season, what with so many games. Is Sabitzer better or as good as Eriksen?
EtH did also say if it were up to him, he would bring someone in, so that says a lot of the limitations provided by those higher up. Based on this, I would give EtH the benefit of doubt that he wanted to reinforce but wasn't allowed to until Eriksen's injury. McT's out too apparently.

As for Sabitzer's ability/qualities, I'm not sure. I don't follow the player, but based on the clubs he has played for (Leipzig and Bayern), I would say that at the very least, on paper, he would fit EtH's style. He was pretty good when they beat us 3-2 in the UCL.

Last edited:

croadyman

Presume Katja will be following him here in the next few days. She is certainly a lovely addition to the Old Trafford WAGS

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Erickssen walked off on a crutch few days ago and the club quickly went to work to fill the gap till the end of the season?! Hmm.. now what will our nay sayers reactions will be?! Thats right, panic buy.

croadyman

EtH did also say if it were up to him, he would bring someone in, so that says a lot of the limitations provided by those higher up. Based on this, I would give EtH the benefit of doubt that he wanted to reinforce but wasn't allowed to until Eriksen's injury. McT's out too apparently.

As for Sabitzer's ability/qualities, I'm not sure. I don't follow the player, but based on the clubs he has played for (Leipzig and Bayern), I would say that at the very least, on paper, he would fit EtH's style. I wasn't too impressed with him when we last played Leipzig in the UCL.
Certainly won't be expecting anywhere near the number of assists and creativity but feel he will give us an all round midfield player

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Have to say am very impressed by the club. Seen quite a few people say it is a reactive buy but, with a negative connotation. It is reactive but, for me it's a sign of some real great planning/organization. They had identified potential player that they could possibly target / attain as a stop gap if need be. Yes, if this happened after the window shut then we would be in trouble but, Eriksen has played all but, 1 of our competitive games and signing Sabitzer earlier would have meant just bench time and been a hard sell to him to agree to leave Bayern for our bench. Now he knows that he is going to compete with Fred most likely and will have a chance to be a regular starter. For the club, brining another older player just to sit around was not part of the strategy they seem to have and ETH has been quite clear they have one. If anything they would have been looking at a lot younger player to come in and deputize this summer or someone who is level above Eriksen, like a De Jong.

Might not be ETH top target but, that was not going to be likely this January but, seems to have got a player with a profile that really fits his philosophy.
I can't say that I believe it was great planning, but the club must be appreciated for resolving the issue so fast.
Eriksen was such a pleasant surprise for us, a free transfer over 30, which no one expected to become a starter with such an influence. I personally saw him as a backup for Bruno when he arrived. Also because of the good Eriksen-Casemiro partnership I don't think ETH wanted to intervene there mid-season and bring a better player instead of the dane.
Next summer we have to make a move for another quality CM, that's a priority.

croadyman

I can't say that I believe it was great planning, but the club must be appreciated for resolving the issue so fast.
Eriksen was such a pleasant surprise for us, a free transfer over 30, which no one expected to become a starter with such an influence. I personally saw him as a backup for Bruno when he arrived. Also because of the good Eriksen-Casemiro partnership I don't think ETH wanted to intervene there mid-season and bring a better player instead of the dane.
Next summer we have to make a move for another quality CM, that's a priority.
Absolutely convinced we will be in for a quality CM in the summer even if there is opportunity to do a permanent deal for Sabitzer too

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Erickssen walked off on a crutch few days ago and the club quickly went to work to fill the gap till the end of the season?! Hmm.. now what will our nay sayers reactions will be?! Thats right, panic buy.
Merson says we didnt look at him at the start of the window so its panic, Arsenal sign Jorginho for 12m and didnt look at the start of the window for him, yet its a fantastic signing.
Guy is clueless sometimes, Jorginho is a good buy for Arsenal but its also panic.

jesperjaap

Didnt realise he is 28. Deent player and actually think he will be a bit mroe solid in midfield thatn Eriksen when we are out of possesion. Cycles the ball well. Decent Eriksen replacement short term, not as much creativity though.

Dont see a permanent signing though with his age and what we need as well....as a bit like Eriksen, for me really he is like Eriksen, more a number 10 that often plays deeper than he should be ideally when we need more a box to box midfielder....though dare I say, he is closer to that than Eriksen who personally again getting slaughtered I dont think we will miss hugely now there is a replacement with more onsistency than McFred and offers more than VDB or being a teenager....still think squad wise Hannibal and Mainoo will be more involved next year

captaincantona

ETH playing 4D chess against the Glazers. Knows he needs midfield reinforcements…Evil Joel won’t sanction it. ETH knows he has seen Andy Carrol before somewhere…back in his Vietnam days - he remembers that Andy Carroll is secretly Terry Silver from Karate Kid 3 and at half time. - whispers in his ear to “sweep the leg”. Terry/Andy obliges and Eriksen is forced off on crutches . Joel Glazer panics and sanctions a move for Sabitzer with only hours to go in the window…queue filing paperwork montage…which ends as ETH shuts a metaphorical window in his office with a roundhouse kick as the clock goes 1 minute past….then - against Forest toniight…ETH Mr Miyagis the shit out of Eriksens ankle in the changing rooms at half time and Eriksen AND Sabitzer stride triumphantly back on to the pitch TOGETHER at the exact same minute Eriksen went off against Reading. Camera cuts to that bald suave mystical polonecked bastard - stoney faced on the sideline with Andy Carrol standing behind his left shoulder. He bows gracefully. In an mountain lair somewhere Joel Glazer, watching the game on a wall of flat screen tvs drops the glass of bourbon he is sipping and it smashes just at the point he realises - the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn’t exist….scene.

no seriously - Eriksen will be back in a week. Reckon the med guys did the boss a favour.

Havak

Pokemon master
Hope he can settle in fast and we'll see if he displaces Fred who I expect to be the one to slot in over Eriksen initially. Even just being able to sub him on so we can take a midfield player off whenever we are winning 2-0 or more is critical and makes this a great deal. Even if he doesn't hit huge heights, I'm glad we got a player like him in.

I just checked all of our games this season and when Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno played together, we are yet to lose. Hoping February is enough time for Sabitzer to get into our rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.