Marcelo

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Last year he was an unrelenting monster... this year he's dropped a bit, but he's still top class.

I love him.

Varun

Staff
Young who kept Salah in his pocket, lets see can Marcelo do the same.
They're unlikely to setup like we did vs Pool and neither will marcelo be asked to do what young did. His contributions going forward are way too imp.

Ole90+3

I'd have Marcelo over any LB that ever played. Obviously I'm a little biased but still, he's an absolute legend for us.
It's not just the goals he brings, it's the importance of the goals. He is always ready to step up in big moments when his team badly need a moment of individual brilliance. He's such a good player. One of my favourites over the past decade. Love his passion and his hair.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Marcelo made 50 appearances in 2010-11 and 44 in 2011-12. In 2012-13 he was injured a lot, which gave Coentrao more chances. Coentrao almost ended up joining us because of his lack of game time though.

Marcelo was Mourinho's first choice left back.
He didn't seem to trust him in a lot of big away games though. He left him out against Bayern in the CL semi's, against Atletico in the league and against Barca in the league, cup and supercup.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's intended for him to be so high like that, it's a risky tactic but what he brings far outweighs what he can cost his team in terms of goals leaked. Otherwise Marcelo wouldn't be a starter for them for years. They've accepted that it's part of their game so not sure how much it can be truly of his fault
Yeah I'm not questioning his use high up the park or his contribution, but purely his decisions between the ball going out of play and it ending up in the net at the other end.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I'm not questioning his use high up the park or his contribution, but purely his decisions between the ball going out of play and it ending up in the net at the other end.
I suppose sprinting would have made for better viewing but not sure it would have helped judging where he was at the time

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not just the goals he brings, it's the importance of the goals. He is always ready to step up in big moments when his team badly need a moment of individual brilliance. He's such a good player. One of my favourites over the past decade. Love his passion and his hair.
:lol: Oh man, what I'd give for such a head of glorious hair.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I suppose sprinting would have made for better viewing but not sure it would have helped judging where he was at the time
True. It was more the faffing around getting the ball that had already gone out of play - bit naive really.

Charles Miller

Defending is for the weak, Gio:lol:Also, with Marcelo doing crazy things at least we know Madrid will suffer some goals and the games will be more interesting for us neutrals:D

MalcolmTucker

:lol:

SATA

How i wish we have him. He and Sanchez would be absolute mint on the left together

If i remember correctly, he started not so well at Madrid coming from Brazil. Then he truly started to show his worth and genuine quality. Brazil are blessed with great full backs

SATA

Yeah he, Ramos and Ronaldo are the real big characters in the Madrid team

Red4Life_#7

Alex Sandro is more physical but Marcelo is far superior in terms of Skills.

Sandro is good in defense in 1x1 situations but his positioning is not top level imo. He is having a very average season after be linked with Chelsea last window. Apparently Juventus fans lost their patience with him.

Last season i would say he was the second best LB, but right now i would pick Alaba and Jordi Alba over him. Hes probably just looking for a move and can back to his normal form, but his attitude this season is really worrying.
Thanks mate, very insightful :)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maldini doesn't work as a LB in today's game.
Are you drunk

He was a better two way player than Alex Sandro or Jordi Alba who are two of the best around right now. If he were born 20 years later he'd have been a better version of Lahm/Alaba

As for Marcelo, he is a winger/midfielder. Simple as that. The last in the line of great brazilian FBs who actually only played there because they could. Nilton Santos, Leo Junior, Branco, and now Marcelo.

Could just as easily play as an attacking winger or CM. Amazing player

Yes he's one of the vice-captains. The second in fact, when Ramos doesn't play he's the captain

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Mistake 1 - Sauntering around getting the ball back that had gone out of play like he’s playing 5s down the park with his mates. Mistake 2 - Jogging back into position as Bayern countered (Real should have covered him better of course but he doesn’t help himself).
I wouldn't have mattered how fast he would have ran back. Every player was in position behind him, only one needed to see Kimmich's run but they just stood around like cones and let him get through via two simple passes. Also Navas should have saved the shot. The angle was tight and it was straight at him.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Quick question.
Which left back would you rather have in your team, Maldini or Marcelo? I am absolutely serious (incase someone thinks otherwise).
If I wanted to win the league, Maldini

If I had to win a one-off game, Marcelo.

Culero

Are you drunk

He was a better two way player than Alex Sandro or Jordi Alba who are two of the best around right now. If he were born 20 years later he'd have been a better version of Lahm/Alaba

As for Marcelo, he is a winger/midfielder. Simple as that. The last in the line of great brazilian FBs who actually only played there because they could. Nilton Santos, Leo Junior, Branco, and now Marcelo.

Could just as easily play as an attacking winger or CM. Amazing player

Yes he's one of the vice-captains. The second in fact, when Ramos doesn't play he's the captain
Give him to Pep and he will reinvent him into a winger/CM inverted FB :drool:

Swift Football

Whenever Madrid plays big teams, I feel like Marcelo's defensive frailities/positioning issues will be exposed. And then in real game, it actually turns out to be opposite with Marcelo producing some key attacking contribution.

RooneyLegend

Amazing offensively, inept defensively. Salah is going to have a field day that side and no way Zidane tells Marcelo not to attack.

Dolf

One of my favorite players ever. Amazing footballer and a likeable guy too.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Thought he was awful defensively today but great going forward. His attempt to block KDB's shot as well was incredibly poor. Seems to get a free ride whenever he is bad defensively because he's great on the ball.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Benched for the CL knockouts after having an incredible CL campaign last year.

So, how will he be remembered? On the same level as Roberto Carlos or on the same level as someone like Jordi Alba?

Up until 5 years ago he was getting benched by Coentrão and now he’s getting benched by Reguilon... he hasn’t been great internationally but had a fantastic peak and plenty of remarkable CL performances.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
As one of the best playmaking full backs in the history of the game. Both building up the play from the back and being able to create something from nothing in the last third.

Charles Miller

So, how will he be remembered? On the same level as Roberto Carlos or on the same level as someone like Jordi Alba?

Up until 5 years ago he was getting benched by Coentrão and now he’s getting benched by Reguilon... he hasn’t been great internationally but had a fantastic peak and plenty of remarkable CL performances.
He looks fat to me. I bet if Juventus really sign him he will suddenly recover form and play well two years more.

He is not on same level as Roberto Carlos imo. As for Jordi Alba its a matter of football taste. I would pick Marcelo but i understand the arguments of people who would prefer Alba.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

He is way superior to Jordi Alba. I also think Real just want to phase him out. Im not really convinced Reguillion is genuinely benching him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Alba was never nowhere near as good as him. During his peak(and that was for good few years) he was miles better than any other LB in the world, no matter how shit defensively he was.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
First time seeing him play in a few weeks. What a stinker he's having.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

With Marcelo on the pitch Madrid concede once every 52 minutes. With Reguilon on the pitch they concede once every 135 minutes

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sometimes you need a new challenge....i think that is the case with Marcelo.
I’m not sure it’s just that, physically he looks a shadow of his former self.

Not sure if he needs a new challenge or he’s actually finished but it’s been painful to watch him this season.

gibers

Alba was never nowhere near as good as him. During his peak(and that was for good few years) he was miles better than any other LB in the world, no matter how shit defensively he was.
He was turning up in 3-5 cl games a season and embarrassing himself week in week out in La Liga. He is one of the main reasons Real struggle in the league defensively. He was benched by Coentrao, benched by Real's current LB.