Marco Reus

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
'Rolls Reus' is the latest star off Germany's production line | Raphael Honigstein | Football | guardian.co.uk

Marco Reus of Borussia Mönchengladbach celebrates his first goal during against Hannover in the Bundesliga. Photograph: Christof Koepsel/Bongarts/Getty Images

Now that Marco Reus is no longer routinely compared to or confused with Marko Marin, the similarly mercurial, slight, very badly coiffed dinker he replaced at Borussia Mönchengladbach, the 22-year-old attacking midfielder has only one problem: he's been a little too good for his own good in 2011.

Media hyperbole? Maybe. But consider this. Reus, or "Rolls Reus" as Bild has started calling him, was being genuinely targeted in the spring by Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Manchester United, when "the Foals" looked like galloping straight into the second division. A defeat by Bochum in the relegation play-offs would have made his departure a foregone conclusion. Hard offers were ready to be made, some personal terms had been discussed. Reus, however, saved Gladbach with his equaliser in the 1-1 draw in the return leg and effectively blocked his own move. Borussia suddenly valued him at €21m (£18.3m), a little too much for a player whose incredible talent was sadly matched by his fragility. Four times Jogi Löw invited him to play in the national side, four times Reus had to pull out before finally making his debut this month.

In hindsight, however, missing out on the big move and the one to two extra million euros he could have earned over the course of this campaign – he is reportedly paid €1.2m under his current contract, which expires in 2015 – may have worked out in his favour. On Saturday, he scored two more fine individual goals – one with his left foot, one with his right – to make it five in 11 league games and help Borussia to a 2-1 win over Hannover, three points that keep this year's surprise team in contention for the Champions League places.

Lucien Favre's side bear all the hallmarks of an intelligent collective who are performing to their maximum potential with the help of the Swiss manager's smart pressing game. But even the players admit that they would probably be nowhere near Europe if it wasn't for the inspired Reus. In the Borussia Park, he often took on the whole Hannover defence, one of the meanest in the business, all by himself – and came out on top. "The number of chances he creates for himself is unbelievable," said Gladbach captain, Filip Daems; Süddeutsche Zeitung felt he had left the Hannover centre-backs Emanuel Pogatetz and Karim Haggui like "two panicked chickens tasked to protect their coop against a wolf". The big bad Reus tore them apart at will.

"This was Gladbach v Hannover, not Reus v Hannover," he said with a touch of irritation after the match. But Reus knew that this kind of performance would fuel speculation about his future. Only a few days before, Bayern's captain, Philipp Lahm, had joined the Reus fan camp, proclaiming that "the best German players must play at Bayern" in direct reference to the Gladbach prodigy. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge went even further, calling him "an interesting player", Bavarian shorthand for: "We think we more or less have a deal with the guy. All we need is his inside leg measurement to get the Lederhosen made."

Reus uttered the customary semi-denial ("It's a fact that I have a contract until 2015. I'm very happy at Gladbach and don't think about a move right now") but the strong views of the sporting director, Max Eberl, on the matter betrayed deep worries. "Marco is young, talented and a Germany international," said the 38-year-old. "But does every young Germany player have to go to Bayern? In [Jan] Schlaudraff, [Marcell] Jansen and [Lukas] Podolski, there are enough examples [of players] who don't make it there. Bayern should concentrate on the Champions League and not on players who can't help them this year." Well, the year is nearly over. And his staggered release clause – he can move for €18m this summer, for €15m after next season, and for €12m in 2013-14 – makes an early sale rather prudent. Favre didn't sound entirely convinced himself when he said that Reus would be well advised to keep progressing under his guidance. "I can understand that Bayern would be interested in a player this good," added the 53-year-old. "When Bayern talk in such terms, you have to assume that they're buying the player."

The Bavarians in fact came closest to an agreement in the summer, and every day that Arjen Robben continues to miss strengthens Reus's case. He's no longer an inconsistent winger but a versatile creative force, able to find space and a way towards goal anywhere behind a centre-forward. "He moves like a player on PlayStation," said Favre. "He feels football; his match intelligence is incredible." A move to Munich might not be a foregone conclusion if one or two European superpowers renew their interest. Dortmund, however, are kicking themselves regardless of the tussle's outcome. Reus played for his hometown club as a 17-year-old but was shipped off to the B team of third division club Rot Weiss Ahlen. Dortmund thought he was too weak physically. "We should have taken a closer look," the champions' sporting director, Michael Zorc, conceded recently.

Favre joked Reus could still "improve when it comes to headers" on Saturday, perhaps echoing Pele's recent, rather ridiculous appraisal of Lionel Messi. Reus, to be fair, has a long way to go before he's anywhere near as "incomplete" as the Barcelona genius. But Mario Götze's "next big thing" tag certainly looks under threat.
And here I thought we knew about everyone we've been 'linked' to...anyone got some info on this guy?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Everything! Relating to football.

Considering his team an recent rise to notoriety, I don't expect many witnesses to his performances, though.

How did he look in his cap for Germany?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Seen him once early on in the season when they played Shalke and he stood out a lot. I was away on holiday when I watched the game so I remembered his shirt number and looked it up when I got home :lol: Can't even remember a lot about him now or why he stood out.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There's a nice blend of German attackers breaking through at the moment - two intelligent playmakers in Holtby and Gotze, two direct attackers in Schurrle and Reus, all with their own distinct qualities but playing in similar positions. Definite muppet target in the next couple of years.

Jaap

Everything! Relating to football.
Well, Reus has improved significantly in the last year - his close control is great, he has some pace to burn and is two-footed. He's a light-weight though and can easily be budged off the ball, however, his fine balance allows him to glide past his opponents.

How did he look in his cap for Germany?
Only played a few minutes v Turkey but here's a video of him:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Thank you for the info, sir! That's some highlight reel!

He's quick as lightning, and he looks like he can score all types of goals with his feet. That blast at 2:50 is amazing, and the last one flew past no less a keeper than Manuel Neuer.

That tackle he tried in the Germany match was hilarious, but he ran about as fast as I've seen a footballer run to catch the guy, he went to tackle and almost flew into the air!

I'd say he looks well suited to play as a wide striker/inverted winger.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Assuming he is similar to Marin then reading the above posts. He is really good on FM though, i can say that!

Virtuoso

We've got Joshua King on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach, so naturally we're front-runners to sign Marco Reus.

sajeev

he always seems to make something happen. been watching the bundesliga highlights for some time now and he always seems to make it to the highlights reel with a lot of involvement in the Gladbach attacks

relx

Frnkie Sys
Scored 2 already, Gladbach's keeper ter Stegen is great as well

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I didn't mean to imply otherwise, I quite like Gotze as a play and would welcome him here in a second.

But I don't have much hope of any young German star coming to United because it's never happened as far as I know, they don't leave Germany very often anyway.

We probably won't get either.

First goal at 2:15, second at 3:25...and what a strike it was.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Marco Reus heiß begehrt: Lucien Favre bestätigt Arsenal-Interesse - Sport Fussball Bundesliga

It has to be translated:

Lucien Favre confirmed Arsenal's interest

Lucien Favre has confirmed an interest of the Arsenal players to National Marco Reus. The coach of Borussia Moenchengladbach have already spoken by telephone with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger over the 22-year-old Favre told in an interview.

Marco Reus is the focus of Arsenal FC. This has now confirmed his coach Lucien Favre - he even got off the phone with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told Favre.

However, would not that automatically mean that Mönchengladbach show willingness to negotiate. "Arsene I know very well and told him the truth.

Marco is a very, very interesting player, but I am coach of Borussia and wants to keep him," Favre told the "Bild".
The tip, Marco Reus watch to let Wenger got Favre, according to ex-Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann. "Then Arsene has called me," said Favre.

Favre: Change could be too early

In English media had been cited recently that the Arsenal Reus in the winter for 20 million euros to London to fetch. Apart from Arsenal and FC Bayern will also Manchester City and Juventus are interested in the midfielder.

When it comes to Favre, but will continue to Reus at Borussia, "I think that a change might be too early, it would be good for Marco when he was still a year or two is - and who knows, maybe we'll play then. at the top ... "
"Interesting player"

Is it me or does this Borrusia coach talk like Wenger?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Oh, and I would absolutely cream myself if Arsenal signed this guy.

Brwned

Youtube videos have that effect.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
^

And add to that the fact I'm really really high right now.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
And Arsenal could have Marco Reus, which will leave us and Bayern to fight for Götze.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
And Arsenal could have Marco Reus, which will leave us and Bayern to fight for Götze.
Only one winner there then, when was the last time we signed a highly rated German?

I don't see us having much chance of signing Gotze, i think we stand a far better chance of competing against Arsenal for the signing of Reus. Although i would love to see us sign Gotze, i just can't see it happening.

RDCR07

ITK claimed that Reus is certain to join Bayern next summer!
So they are not looking to sign Götze or are they just waiting to get closer to 2014, when his contract runs down and he will available relatively cheaply than he will be next summer?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
This page seems to suggest he plays as a right winger in a 442.

Goal.com

I would think his future was as a wide striker in a 433 or an attacking midfielder in a 4231, anywhere across the row of 3.

Brwned

I've watched him against Leverkusen and Hannover in the past month and both times he played down the middle, it seems like that's now becoming his position but he can obviously play out wide (he looked best against Leverkusen when he moved wide left). I think he moved there because the other strikers weren't impressing and they had a good replacement out wide in Hermann, so it doesn't say anything about where he's best used. Has the skillset of a wide forward IMO. He's not a midfielder though he's clearly a forward.

Jaap

So they are not looking to sign Götze or are they just waiting to get closer to 2014, when his contract runs down and he will available relatively cheaply than he will be next summer?
BILD speculated today that Götze will play this season and the season after in the Bundesliga and then move abroad. BILD, mind, do have some good sources. Götze's contract runs out in 2014 and Dortmund will have a chance to cash in on him in 2013.

RDCR07

In that case I hope Madrid sign Hazard and leave Götze alone so he can move to England. But then it also depends on if Götze wants to move to Britain.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In that case I hope Madrid sign Hazard and leave Götze alone so he can move to England. But then it also depends on if Götze wants to move to Britain.
Even if he moves to England it will be for City or Arsenal, so it wouldn't really work in our favour. I hope neither of them goes to England.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Even if he moves to England it will be for City or Arsenal, so it wouldn't really work in our favour. I hope neither of them goes to England.
There is no guarantee of that.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Probably true on the City part. I don't see us signing any highly rated German's anytime soon.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There is no guarantee of that.
As per usual in football. There's no guarantee of Rooney not moving to Norwich City for £5.5m in January, yet you can tell that there's no chance of that happening.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I wonder if it would be possible to get some statistics on how many of each country's international players choose to play abroad. Perhaps it's because United has never had a Germany International [as far as I know] that it seems that Germans are especially likely to choose to stay in Germany.

Of course money comes into play, especially for Brazil and Argentina, it doesn't really mean that Brazilians are more comfortable leaving their country. But I wouldn't be surprised if, versus most other nations, German national team members are twice as likely to play for a club in Germany as well.

You'd think with so many of them being multilingual that it would make them good candidates for moving abroad.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As per usual in football. There's no guarantee of Rooney not moving to Norwich City for £5.5m in January, yet you can tell that there's no chance of that happening.
Yes Rooney going to Norwich and Reus moving to us is great comparison and both are probably same on the likelihood of happening. Actually, I don't know why I bothered to come into an argument with you in the transfer forum, you've a tendency to be an idiot here.