Marco Silva - Fulham Manager

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah I know, how many times in the past he was looking good in a previous job in England and everything ended in tears. But since he is at Fulham beside that natural Championship promotion he had support from the club and looked astute in the Transfer Market.

Probably found the right level for him, think they are good enough to stay in the League, knowing his teams have a tendency when things go bad they really get ugly for him. Is this a sign of improvement and more adaptation to England or in 6 months we will discuss the same issues of the past regarding him?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not a bad manager. TBH he actually entered the english market ahead of better portuguese managers, but I think his level is a top8 EPL team, max.

People can't accuse him of being a defensive manager, though. His teams are actually entertaining to watch most of the times.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not a bad manager. TBH he actually entered the english market ahead of better portuguese managers, but I think his level is a top8 EPL team, max.

People can't accuse him of being a defensive manager, though. His teams are actually entertaining to watch most of the times.
Would be interesting to see if he can do a sustainable job at Fulham.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Would be interesting to see if he can do a sustainable job at Fulham.
The problem in clubs like this is that you are a couple of transfers away either to improve your team or to simply crash into demotion.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I liked what I saw from him at Hull and early days at Watford in terms of spectacle and player development. Maguire, Robertson and Richarlison all kicked on under his watch.

From memory his first season at Everton was pretty solid aswell but it all came crashing down the next one.

I think he's been pretty smart. Needed to find a club where he could settle in long term instead of moving around every six months and getting Fulham promoted was pretty easy with the squad he had but this time they certainly have a more streetwise edge to their 11 than previous sides in premier league so have to give Silva credit for that. I doubt they'd have signed Joao Paulinha without his presence and he's been one of the signings of the season so far.

I actually think they should be on more than 22 points when you think they got a diabolical ref/VAR performance that resulted in a loss at West Ham and they've also lost to both Manchester clubs and Arsenal in 90th minute. Biggest compliment is no team is getting an easy win off Fulham this season, you're going to have to work hard for it home or away.

Think they'll ease off once they hit 40 points but top 10 finish will be a big plus for the Silva CV for future years.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The problem in clubs like this is that you are a couple of transfers away either to improve your team or to simply crash into demotion.
True, but he made the mistake of trying a club with a higher profile previously and it didn't went well for him.
Think they'll ease off once they hit 40 points but top 10 finish will be a big plus for the Silva CV for future years.
The big doubt is if next season they can sustain this level.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The best thing it happened for him was this. How the hell Neves started 4 games for Portugal and Palhinha not a single one? Santos was really terrible.

Idxomer

Palhinha is like the less cultured version of Casemiro, he's everywhere on the pitch.

He's probably the signing of the season so far.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The best thing it happened for him was this. How the hell Neves started 4 games for Portugal and Palhinha not a single one? Santos was really terrible.

How the hell were Fulham the team to snap him up is another question. Wouldn’t look out of place for plenty of bigger teams in Europe.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How the hell were Fulham the team to snap him up is another question. Wouldn’t look out of place for plenty of bigger teams in Europe.
Simple. He left Mendes as his agent for his brother and suddenly he was a cheaper player. Football is corrupt to the core, even in England.

And with this I am not saying United didn't do the right thing signing Casemiro, but it really is bonkers how football agents manipulate the market and no one in the Media investigates this.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Simple. He left Mendes as his agent for his brother and suddenly he was a cheaper player. Football is corrupt to the core, even in England.

And with this I am not saying United didn't do the right thing signing Casemiro, but it really is bonkers how football agents manipulate the market and no one in the Media investigates this.
Wouldn't his transfer fee have more to do with his previous club than his agent? Could provide some more detail how his price was being manipulated by Mendes?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wouldn't his transfer fee have more to do with his previous club than his agent? Could provide some more detail how his price was being manipulated by Mendes?
One thing I am sure, if his brother demanded 50 million euros for Matheus Cunha he certainly wouldn't be at Wolves. It's more than evident Mendes has influence on how some players move from club X to Y, but I don't blame only him, if the clubs do business with him is because they like it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In hindsight it probably looks like it was a mistake to sack him at the time! Fulham are 14 points clear of the drop and are looking like a very good team.

TsuWave

I'm sure you're making a point here somewhere, I'm just struggling to find it. Having a higher profile agent and it impacting your valuation isn't necessarily/inherently a corruption thing.

If your point, however, is that agents shouldn't be getting the astronomical fees they get - I'd agree with the sentiment, but I'm also not well equipped to comment on the work agents do.

Nick7

In hindsight it probably looks like it was a mistake to sack him at the time! Fulham are 14 points clear of the drop and are looking like a very good team.
I thought he was decent at Hull and again at Watford until Everton came in for him. What exactly went wrong for him at Everton?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought he was decent at Hull and again at Watford until Everton came in for him. What exactly went wrong for him at Everton?
Finished 8th in his first season and was doing well. Next season began with 9 defeats in the first 15 games that left us in 18th place. Lost 5-2 against Liverpool in his last game (third defeat in a row) to leave us in 18th and the next 3 games were Chelsea, United and Arsenal so I suppose the board felt with him they'd likely be defeats too.

Nick7

Finished 8th in his first season and was doing well. Next season began with 9 defeats in the first 15 games that left us in 18th place. Lost 5-2 against Liverpool in his last game (third defeat in a row) to leave us in 18th and the next 3 games were Chelsea, United and Arsenal so I suppose the board felt with him they'd likely be defeats too.
Was it a case he wasn't being backed or just wrong manager, wrong time? IIRC you went on a decently long unbeaten run after sacking him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Was it a case he wasn't being backed or just wrong manager, wrong time? IIRC you went on a decently long unbeaten run after sacking him
We signed a lot that summer - Gbamin, Gomes on a perm, Delph, Kean etc. I think it boiled down to bad luck in a few ways. Gbamin started his bad injury run, Delph was injured always, Kean didn't hit it off.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm sure you're making a point here somewhere, I'm just struggling to find it. Having a higher profile agent and it impacting your valuation isn't necessarily/inherently a corruption thing.

If your point, however, is that agents shouldn't be getting the astronomical fees they get - I'd agree with the sentiment, but I'm also not well equipped to comment on the work agents do.
Regarding the bolded part, it might not be by law, but it certainly stinks as not being ethical enough.

On your last point regarding the astronomical fees I agree on that, but for me as things are today I don't see any transparency at all in how the transfer market works, but I guess Football fans don't care about that, it's a lost battle for me.

Related with Silva I hope the guy learned his past mistakes particularly at Watford, don't know if at Everton it was all his fault.

He has to resist the temptation of leaving the club at the first good offer, but I struggle to see Fulham being a consistent club where they can sustain this level season after season, it's really a tough one to call.

R'hllor

From what a gather (by watching their games), he is doing very well, this season was always dependable on their type of transfers, Fulham in the past always screwed summer after being promoted to PL. As long Mitrovic being fed more often than not and he is in current form they should be safe at minimum.

matsdf

I still can't believe that Everton were able to replace Silva with Ancelotti.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't think nothing particularly went wrong. The expectations were simply too high and people thought that Everton would be a team immune to form drops. But replacing him with Ancelotti was a good decision nonetheless.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think nothing particularly went wrong. The expectations were simply too high and people thought that Everton would be a team immune to form drops. But replacing him with Ancelotti was a good decision nonetheless.
I wouldn't say they were that high. To finish 8th and then suddenly be 18th with 9 defeats in the first 15 games is a considerable drop. Yes, teams have form drops but that's a massive drop and it is understandable that a manager in that form would be sacked. Say we were 12th-ish with 6 defeats or so I don't think he would have been sacked.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
From what a gather (by watching their games), he is doing very well, this season was always dependable on their type of transfers, Fulham in the past always screwed summer after being promoted to PL. As long Mitrovic being fed more often than not and he is in current form they should be safe at minimum.
This applies to every promoted club or smaller club in EPL. Without being lucky on the transfer market you will get demoted. These clubs are always one or two transfers away to either improve their level or enter a downward spiral.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I wouldn't say they were that high. To finish 8th and then suddenly be 18th with 9 defeats in the first 15 games is a considerable drop. Yes, teams have form drops but that's a massive drop and it is understandable that a manager in that form would be sacked. Say we were 12th-ish with 6 defeats or so I don't think he would have been sacked.
Agree, it was a good decision. He was sacked and Everton got a much better manager. Benitez was a wrong cast though, he was clearly passed his prime long time ago.

And choosing Lampard over Pereira was not that wise either, didn't understood what the fans had against the fellow. Sure, his ambition is a bit over the top (he just switched Corinthians for Flamengo a few weeks ago, one of the biggest rivalries in Brazil, which show his questionable ethics due to his ambition), but he was a much more experienced manager with a much better CV.

crossy1686

career ending
Different career stage: he already experimented a top 10 club, pretty sure he will not be so eager to make such a decision once again.
Well he was trying to speed run his career last time, he seems a bit less likely to make the same mistake twice but I think he'll maybe end up at Tottenham if Conte gets canned.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well he was trying to speed run his career last time, he seems a bit less likely to make the same mistake twice but I think he'll maybe end up at Tottenham if Conte gets canned.
Clubs might be more wary this time round after the Everton stint.

R'hllor

This applies to every promoted club or smaller club in EPL. Without being lucky on the transfer market you will get demoted. These clubs are always one or two transfers away to either improve their level or enter a downward spiral.
Well yea but in their case luck had nothing to do with it, one year they signed 3000 players during a summer, players who got earned promotion were replaced, then next time they pumped the break on that but they were pulling triggers on manager early.

Blood Mage

Still think he's a bang average manager. He just got lucky getting his hands on a top class DM like Palhinha, who'll no doubt be snapped up by a big club in the summer and we'll see Silva's true level as a coach again after that.

RedDevilRoshi

Currently 5 wins on the bounce and only 2 defeats in 11 games (those 2 defeats both coming very late in stoppage time against the two Manchester clubs).

Didn’t expect him to have this Fulham team in the top 6 and on a run like that. Plus playing some very nice football.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Love what he's done at Fulham, really good side

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Good manager. His Everton stint did him unfair damage imo, that club is pointless would love them to be relegated and never seen again.

Sylar

It's clearly because the owner gives him hugs and that's all an employee wants.