Marco Verratti | Signed New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray3007

What is the larger cause that we are all trying to achieve here? For us to become the best team in the world and to be competition with guys like Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid and etc..
What do you think can get us there and establish us Champions League contenders automatically
Martial or Messi?
Would Messi automatically makes us a force comapred to the teams mentioned ? cant see it myself, we dont have a Iniesta and Xavi to pick him out, a bit like how he aint as good for Argentina as for his club.

I love verrratti, he's my favorite player (not playing for United) and I would pay almost any price to bring him here. However, some people are going over the top with how much he "dominated" Chelsea's midfield. I have no doubt he'll be great if he comes here, or goes to any other team in the league, but some of the posts in here make it sound like he slaughtered Chelsea by himself and it wasn't like that at all.

I even remember him getting subbed out. Plus, PSG only advanced on away goals. It was a good game by him, but Chelsea would have went out if you switched him and Matic.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I love Martial as much as anyone but it's fecking Messi ffs. The greatest player of all time playing for United is not an opportunity anyone with any sense passes up.
Ey? We're on about Verratti vs Martial aren't we?

izec

I would take Verratti and Messi over Martial, no question. Some are emotionally involved, 'Martial could be our star player'. Martial will feck off as soon as he reaches top 10 level, stop kidding yourselves.

Drz

Verratti and Naingolan are probably the two players that remind me most of Paul Scholes in the way they go about their business in midfield. I don't believe either are the complete item, but I would absolutly love to see both in the same team along with a third midfielder with Essien's profile (maybe TFM?).
Without C1 though I don't think either will be tempted in joining us this season. (Though if as rumoured Chelsea are really in for Naingolan, then we should do the necessary to outbid them).

red4ever 79

Verratti would be a good edition to the squad no doubt. A move like this all comes down to the player nothing else. Does Verratti have ambition to test himself in a more competitive environment in the EPL?

Long term I could see him ending up at Barca as a direct replacement for Iniesta though

Still it is nice to be linked with exactly the type and caliber of player we need

pablo__p

If there is a slimmest chance he is available Barca, Real, Bayern, City and perhaps Juve (they love to collect CMs, don't they?) would all have a firm offer on the table for Veratti. Sadly, can't see him choosing us over any of these clubs.

ATXRedDevil

Verratti would be a good edition to the squad no doubt. A move like this all comes down to the player nothing else. Does Verratti have ambition to test himself in a more competitive environment in the EPL?

Long term I could see him ending up at Barca as a direct replacement for Iniesta though

Still it is nice to be linked with exactly the type and caliber of player we need
Seems like the long-term Xavi replacement to me (if he were to end up at barca which I don't necessarily think he will). Think his game is much similar to his than iniesta's.

mbb8

Would Messi automatically makes us a force comapred to the teams mentioned ? cant see it myself, we dont have a Iniesta and Xavi to pick him out, a bit like how he aint as good for Argentina as for his club.
didn't he get Argentina to the finals of both Copa America and the World Cup?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
What is the larger cause that we are all trying to achieve here? For us to become the best team in the world and to be competition with guys like Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid and etc..
What do you think can get us there and establish us Champions League contenders automatically
Martial or Messi?
I would love to know if you were around for the class of 92 guys. Would you prefer that we bought proven stars? Theres no guarantee they will come in and make as big an impact as what you protest. Messi could come over and not flourish as he should due to any number of reasons. We have tried over the years to buy proven player but how many of them have genuinely worked out for the best.

We bought Ronaldo and developed him into arguably the best player in the world. We bought Martial and should be developing him into the next star rather than buying a proven player who may flop. Not ignoring the fact that any young player with potential could flop as well but id rather buy them young and have them learn the United way rather than already having their own ways which may not suit the club.

Obiorahking_

I would love to know if you were around for the class of 92 guys. Would you prefer that we bought proven stars? Theres no guarantee they will come in and make as big an impact as what you protest. Messi could come over and not flourish as he should due to any number of reasons. We have tried over the years to buy proven player but how many of them have genuinely worked out for the best.

We bought Ronaldo and developed him into arguably the best player in the world. We bought Martial and should be developing him into the next star rather than buying a proven player who may flop. Not ignoring the fact that any young player with potential could flop as well but id rather buy them young and have them learn the United way rather than already having their own ways which may not suit the club.
May I please remind you that this is Lionel Messi we are talking about a guy who he head and shoulders (bar Ronaldo) above everyone we have ever produced from the academy and is arguably the greatest of all time? We would be lucky for Martial will come around to be even half the player Messi is.

Messi isn't some "proven star" in our game today he is the greatest of the great. I don't know how someone can possibly argue such a stupid theory. Martial over Messi is a joke.

snk123

Would definitely love Veratti over Pogba. He's got everything - absolutely everything you would want from a midfielder.

DarkXaero

I love verrratti, he's my favorite player (not playing for United) and I would pay almost any price to bring him here. However, some people are going over the top with how much he "dominated" Chelsea's midfield. I have no doubt he'll be great if he comes here, or goes to any other team in the league, but some of the posts in here make it sound like he slaughtered Chelsea by himself and it wasn't like that at all.

I even remember him getting subbed out. Plus, PSG only advanced on away goals. It was a good game by him, but Chelsea would have went out if you switched him and Matic.
I agree. I love Verratti and would love to have him here but he is getting overrated as hell by most of the Caf. A lot of overhyping going on.

AbusementPark

May I please remind you that this is Lionel Messi we are talking about a guy who he head and shoulders (bar Ronaldo) above everyone we have ever produced from the academy and is arguably the greatest of all time? I doubt Martial will come around to be even half the player Messi is.

Messi isn't some "proven star" in our game today he is the greatest of the great. I don't know how someone can possibly argue such a stupid theory. Martial over Messi is a stupid joke.
This is the Verrati thread and having a debate about Messi over Martial isn't the place to have it. Also its hardly arguing a stupid theory, considering your arguing the same point of stupidity as we both don't know how things would be if Messi joined the premier league or how Martial develops. Imagine Messi playing under LVG, Martial done it and looked a class act, given the right guidance and coaching he could become a great player. Having doubts over Martial even becoming half the player Messi is sounds foolish, I'm struggling to work out if your a United fan or a WUM.

Atay

Players like Veratti are rare and every team needs a player like that to be at the top. These magicians knit the play from defence and attack. There are only handfull about such a Iniesta, Modric, D.Silva, Xavi and scholes in his day. They dont need pace or strength but have a vision and awareness like no other. A must purchase if he was available at all costs!

Reactions: Penna

Obiorahking_

This is the Verrati thread and having a debate about Messi over Martial isn't the place to have it.
Redudant point, you were the person who felt the need to incite an argument between the both of us. Try again.

Also its hardly arguing a stupid theory, considering your arguing the same point of stupidity as we both don't know how things would be if Messi joined the premier league or how Martial develops.
It is pathetic and to believe that Messi can't do well in the Premier League....the same Messi that whooped our asses in the CL Final, and has constantly tortured plenty of the top teams in the EPL on a consistent basis. Didn't Ronaldo, Suarez, Mata, Fabregas, Bale, Sanchez come from the La Liga? Ridiculous.
Having doubts over Martial even becoming half the player Messi is sounds foolish,
It really isn't. Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are heads and shoulders above everybody else and have dominated modern football for almost a decade now.(Essentially Martial's Age).
I'm struggling to work out if your a United fan or a WUM.
I am a realistic United fan who calls it as it is.
The fact that you are still trying to argue "Martial over Messi" Makes you look like a WUM and an ignoramus who can't comprehend the greatness of of a player like Messi.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If his legs weren't made toast then I'd agree, he seems hugely underrated, that doesn't help when Wenger insists on playing him as an attacking midifelder when he's clearly a deeplying play maker. But wouldn't go anywhere near him unless he sorts out his injury problems.
He's one of the most underrated players in world football for me. Which is ironic as when he broke through he was perhaps one of the most overrated.

I think he's a class act. He needs to get fit. Obviously. He seems like a bit of a douche at times, but it would be a crying shame if he never got fit enough to fulfil his potential.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Aren't you the same guy who thinks coman is better than Martial? Now you would swap martial for konoplyanka. :confused:
Not trying to leap to his defence but to be fair, Coman probably had a better season that Martial. I guess, though, that you have to factor in that he plays for a much better side.

It's not an open and shut case like you seem to make it.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Nah, he's dominated some of the best midfields in the UCL as well. I think you might just need to watch him a little more because he's not really a Matic replacement. Verratti is more of a CM than a DM and his technique (dribbling in tight spaces especially) is much better than you give him credit for.

He's always paired with Motta + Verratti and Matuidi iirc. So he should work well next to a DM like Matic.
Are you high?
The best #6 the PL has ever seen, and probably will ever see, is 5'6". The best midfielder in the league, by a distance last season, is 5'6".

You have to be the only person who thinks Matic has anything close to Verratti's ability in any of the aspects you mention. He'd be far cheaper because he's inferior by some margin.
Ish: i agree that he's a decent player which is a compliment in my book. However, a 80 mill player has to be great. And I wouldn't vehemently argue that he's not quite there. I couldn't watch him in the UCL as he was hurt for most of it.

Fortitude: Comparing him to Scholes is probably the stupidest argument one can make. Might as well start comparing Martial to Messi at this rate. Too late we got some football geniuses already doing that on the CAF.

If you are arguing we should buy Verratti to pair alongside a DM while most of our midfielders are ideally B2B's or deep lying playmakers, congratulations you just paid 80 mill quid to further bolster our deepest position. Your team building skills are legendary and one might recommending increasing the difficulty in FIFA 16 to regular.

Verratti has been playing lately as a DM/deep lying playmaker with Matuidi/Motta staying back when Verratti makes his forays up the pitch. I don't see how one can do better than Matic especially when his price tag would be a third of Verratti's. Matic 2 years ago was just ridiculous at that role. I find it funny people criticize Matic's terrible short term team performance partly due to being paired alongside Fabregas... While Verratti being injured most of the year somehow is a better player because of his past performances in a different league.

AbusementPark

Redudant point, you were the person who felt the need to incite an argument between the both of us. Try again.

It is pathetic and to believe that Messi can't do well in the Premier League....the same Messi that whooped our asses in the CL Final, and has constantly tortured plenty of the top teams in the EPL on a consistent basis. Didn't Ronaldo, Suarez, Mata, Fabregas, Bale, Sanchez come from the La Liga? Ridiculous.

It really isn't. Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are heads and shoulders above everybody else and have dominated modern football for almost a decade now.(Essentially Martial's Age).

I am a realistic United fan who calls it as it is.
The fact that you are still trying to argue "Martial over Messi" Makes you look like a WUM and an ignoramus who can't comprehend the greatness of of a player like Messi.
Yea your definitely a WUM. I'm not arguing that Martial is better than Messi and resorting to petty name calling shows your level of intelligence. I'm not getting into a debate (not an argument) over whos better. Messi is better hands down but to write Martial off before his career has even began is narrow minded. Going by your reasoning all players should give up now as they will never be half the player Messi is.

Ronaldo didn't start his consistency until he was 22-23 so Martial has a couple of years to develop before then. Messi was performing at a high level at that age and I'm not disputing that Messi most likely will be better than Martial can ever be as him and Ronaldo are freaks of the game. But Martial can put in the extra hours of training and become close to it himself, he already displays the calmness and confidence on the ball its all about consistency and maintaining it.

If I'm being really pedantic then Suarez and Bale didn't come from La Liga.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fortitude: Comparing him to Scholes is probably the stupidest argument one can make. Might as well start comparing Martial to Messi at this rate. Too late we got some football geniuses already doing that on the CAF.
Right. It's probably one of [many] reasons why I didn't compare him to Scholes. I distinctly said '#6's' and was referring to Makélélé and Kanté respectively.
If you are arguing we should buy Verratti to pair alongside a DM while most of our midfielders are ideally B2B's or deep lying playmakers, congratulations you just paid 80 mill quid to further bolster our deepest position. Your team building skills are legendary and one might recommending increasing the difficulty in FIFA 16 to regular.
I'm not arguing anything except contesting your post directly. Verratti isn't coming here so I haven't indulged in creating teams with him in them.

But, beings as you're mentioning it, quantity does not equal quality, and, you also have no idea who Mourinho deems surplus to his requirements from the pool of players in that or any other position. It may seem deep from the surface us fans view it from, that could be the polar opposite of what Mourinho sees when he looks at it.

Verratti has been playing lately as a DM/deep lying playmaker with Matuidi/Motta staying back when Verratti makes his forays up the pitch. I don't see how one can do better than Matic especially when his price tag would be a third of Verratti's. Matic 2 years ago was just ridiculous at that role. I find it funny people criticize Matic's terrible short term team performance partly due to being paired alongside Fabregas... While Verratti being injured most of the year somehow is a better player because of his past performances in a different league.
You compared them initially, nobody else?

Murray3007

didn't he get Argentina to the finals of both Copa America and the World Cup?
the squad got them to the final, he was hardly the player of the tournament at the world cup, dont watch enough of the copa america to judge any player.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

He did dominate our midfield in that first leg.

Revan

Assumptionman
If PSG offered a straight swap for Martial, would you take it?
Nope. Veratti is better, but Martial can become as good as him, and he's a striker. Strikers are more valuable than other players.

Messi on the other hand...Obviously yes. I love Martial but Messi is arguably the greatest ever.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

We couldn't get the ball off him.

kenny19

Not trying to leap to his defence but to be fair, Coman probably had a better season that Martial. I guess, though, that you have to factor in that he plays for a much better side.

It's not an open and shut case like you seem to make it.
Coman had a better season than martial?!?!?!? What? No player around the same age had a better season than martial unless you mean trophywise. Martial had the better statistics when you compare both players. Martial was miles more efficient. Martial is levels above coman right now. Usually when people want to say something nice about this coman fella they refer to the famous juventus game. I watched that game and although he provided the spark to beat Juventus he was bang average. I remember him trying to always cut to the right repeatedly without any success. It's like thats the only thing he can think of when faced with the opportunity to be creative. I don't want to dwell to much given this sia verratti thread but you guys seriously need to hop off this coma bandwagon. He might have potential but he is seriously feeding off the good efforts of his teammates. The only thing he has going for him which I admire is his explosiveness and directness on the ball which martial sometime lacks.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

Tackled Messi three times in that half.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Exceptional player, there's nobody really like him in our league right now, maybe Leon Britton. He's even smaller than Britton but knows how to use his body so well to.shield the ball and goes down quite easily to win free kicks when he's in a tight spot.

Hard to imagine him moving with the investment PSG's owners are throwing into the club and if he was available then Champion's League clubs would be interested no doubt.

Exactly the sort of player you want to be linked with though, let's us imagine our midfield with a genuine World class player in it.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
He was a one man team in this game and also made two great tackles on Messi again:

Messi is his bitch:

Status
Not open for further replies.