Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Tbf he switched to no.16 this season, but that's hard to notice for obvious reasons.
Now that you mentioned it, it came back :lol:

It annoyed me since the first day he took that shirt number. I really hope Ole brings back the Sir Alex team numbering. No 2 or 3 for CBs, I want both Bailly and Lindelof shirt number change. :devil:

And sell Rojo, or give him up for free.

Sylar

Is he waiting for the Chinese market to close before he returns for his other 2 games he will play this season?

Djemba-Djemba

This is his 5th season here.

He had one good 3 month spell in Mourinho's first season.

Other than that he's either been rubbish or injured, mostly both.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Crikey, that's tragic. I find it bizarre that he's never spoken about by barely anyone. No managers, coaches, other players, pundits. Just a forgotten player.

Djemba-Djemba

Crikey, that's tragic. I find it bizarre that he's never spoken about by barely anyone. No managers, coaches, other players, pundits. Just a forgotten player.
It's mental isn't it?

5 years for a player it was blatantly obvious after 1 year wasn't good enough.

We often keep players far too long and he's maybe the best example, I think he still has a good few years left on his contract too so of all the deadwood we need to get rid of Rojo will be the hardest to sell.

crossy1686

career ending

Forgot he still played for us to be honest. He's comfortably our last choice as a defender and the last time I heard his name was when we nearly convinced Everton to pay £30m for him on deadline day.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's mental isn't it?

5 years for a player it was blatantly obvious after 1 year wasn't good enough.

We often keep players far too long and he's maybe the best example, I think he still has a good few years left on his contract too so of all the deadwood we need to get rid of Rojo will be the hardest to sell.
Indeed. If he was available more often in the early years he might have been okay to keep around as a squad player then, but since Mourinho came in and now Ole he was/is completely off the pace in terms of ability. Surely he didn't sign a new contract since he signed for you lot!? If he didn't then it will run out this year.

Djemba-Djemba

Indeed. If he was available more often in the early years he might have been okay to keep around as a squad player then, but since Mourinho came in and now Ole he was/is completely off the pace in terms of ability. Surely he didn't sign a new contract since he signed for you lot!? If he didn't then it will run out this year.
Signed a new contract in March last year, which runs until the Summer of 2021. He's made 5 appearances in the almost year since he signed that contract by the way.

One of the many in the long list of appalling decisions from Mourinho and the board in the post Fergie era.

Lentwood

Signed a new contract in March last year, which runs until the Summer of 2021. He's made 5 appearances in the almost year since he signed that contract by the way.

One of the many in the long list of appalling decisions from Mourinho and the board in the post Fergie era.
I think it's fairly common knowledge that our managers now have little to no input into length of contracts, wages etc....as with most clubs

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's fairly common knowledge that our managers now have little to no input into length of contracts, wages etc....as with most clubs
Hmmm not sure about that.

Think it's pretty obvious the club were happy to let Fellaini go in the Summer and it was only because of Mourinho pushing for it that they gave Fellaini the contract.

I'm not placing all the blame on Rojo getting the new contract on Mourinho, but I'm sure he played his part.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Surely Mourinho had the final word on that? Woodward won't just come up with an idea to extend a squad player's contract for no reason (and nor would anyone else, given the structure of the club, you'd assume). Not to mention that Mourinho would rather have experienced backup players even for just the occasional game (see Darmian) than rely on a smaller squad and unproven youngsters.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's a stranger player. He's had games where he looks class, then other games where he looks completely useless.

He got absolutely destroyed away to Valencia, we haven't see him since. Not sure we will see him again either.

izec

Ole said everyone would get a chance, so maybe he will play a game or two, especially if we have injuries. But it doesnt look like it. Definitely off in the summer either way, he is rumoured to be leaving since a year already. Him, Darmian and Valencia are definitely off in the summer.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's weird, I don't think he's ever been "shit" during his time here. He's been OK but just far too injury prone. In total, we've conceded 75 goals in the 110 games he has played.

And, if I'm not wrong, we've conceded 222 goals in 257 games since he signed. Make of that what you will but I've always believed he was one our good defenders.

Last edited:

arthurka

He's a stranger player. He's had games where he looks class, then other games where he looks completely useless.

He got absolutely destroyed away to Valencia, we haven't see him since. Not sure we will see him again either.
I personally have never seen him in this class mode.
He is the biggest hoofer in the team, cant head the ball, he lacks positional awareness is rash and unreliable.
There is no way he shouldn´t be out the door this summer.

United should aim so much higher than Rojo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I reckon if we can patch him up we can get a decent cheque from Wolves for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is the biggest hoofer in the team, cant head the ball, he lacks positional awareness is rash and unreliable.

He had a great run with Smalling a year or 2 back. Many people were saying he complimented Smalling best, but then he got injured / red carded and fell out of the team.

SAFMUTD

The forgotten brothers Darmian and Rojo. Sums up how poorly managed we are. Incredible we renewed their contracts eventhough they haven’t even challenge for a spot in at least 3 seasons.

Foxbatt

No player can be a regular for countries like Argentina and be that bad. Rojo is a player that's very underrated. Yes he plays rashly and that's the way they play. He can play football when he has had a run in the side. He can shoot from long range and head and tackle too. But only at cb

SAFMUTD

No player can be a regular for countries like Argentina and be that bad. Rojo is a player that's very underrated. Yes he plays rashly and that's the way they play. He can play football when he has had a run in the side. He can shoot from long range and head and tackle too. But only at cb
He is not terrible but he is far far away from being a top cb, he would be just fine at a medium table team, but there’s no way any top team will sign him after he leaves us.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not sure how bad you mean, but he is bad. You can definitely play for Argentina and not be good enough for a PL team. He isn't good enough even as a backup because of his injuries, so there is that. Romero is a terrific second goalkeeper for us and he plays for them. I think a few players are ahead of Rojo in the national team and they are way worse than what you probably perceive Rojo to be, so if anything he is overrated.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Thought he was fantastic in the Europa cup win alongside Bailly, then he got that terrible injury at the end of the game. Been out too long now with too many injuries so he probably has to go but injury free I think he could have been a top performer for us.

He can shoot from long range and head and tackle too. But only at cb
I would hope every CB can head and tackle! That’s a minimum requirement, along with having 2 legs.

How many goals has he scored for us from outside the box?

He’s an utter waste of a squad place. He’s clearly not good enough to be in the first choice 11, but then he can never be relied upon as a squad option as he’s always injured.

We wouldn’t have even noticed if he had left 6 months ago.

tomaldinho1

Thought he was fantastic in the Europa cup win alongside Bailly, then he got that terrible injury at the end of the game. Been out too long now with too many injuries so he probably has to go but injury free I think he could have been a top performer for us.
He had that one period of being excellent but otherwise has been an absolute husk of a player - it's a weird one because he's decent for Argentina and has been occasionally decent for us, we also have played him out of position quite a bit. Can't imagine him sticking around after this summer though, can imagine him going somewhere like Seville or Valencia on the cheap.

Lentwood

Surely Mourinho had the final word on that? Woodward won't just come up with an idea to extend a squad player's contract for no reason (and nor would anyone else, given the structure of the club, you'd assume). Not to mention that Mourinho would rather have experienced backup players even for just the occasional game (see Darmian) than rely on a smaller squad and unproven youngsters.
Definitely not the final word, some input i’m sure but final word is with Ed

See Smalling getting a new deal the day before Jose was sacked or how Jose wanted to sell Martial in the Summer but was overruled by Ed

At the end of the day, Utd are a PLC...if assets worth £20-£30m are allowed to leave on a free shareholders would rightly ask questions

Lentwood

It's weird, I don't think he's ever been "shit" during his time here. He's been OK but just far too injury prone. In total, we've conceded 75 goals in the 110 games he has played.

And, if I'm not wrong, we've conceded 222 goals in 257 games since he signed. Make of that what you will but I've always believed he was one our good defenders.
I’ve always thought that Rojo, when fit, is one of our best two CBs

I personally think the “rashness” is stereotyping South American defenders somewhat....aggressive yes, plays on the front-foot yes....but apart from the two infamous tackles and then pen. against Watford I can’t think of many actual big mistakes

haram

We have a temp manager yet still gave Jones a new contract...

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
We have a temp manager yet still gave Jones a new contract...
Definitely not the final word, some input i’m sure but final word is with Ed

See Smalling getting a new deal the day before Jose was sacked or how Jose wanted to sell Martial in the Summer but was overruled by Ed

At the end of the day, Utd are a PLC...if assets worth £20-£30m are allowed to leave on a free shareholders would rightly ask questions
Yeah I might have underrated/overrated Woody's negotiating dealings (depending on how you look at it :D).

Though in Smalling's case I think it's easy to see why he renewed and it would have been the case regardless of the manager situation. Regarding Rojo, I still don't see the asset in there after his latest renewal, so I still refuse to believe that if there wouldn't have been at least some sort of encouragement from the (football-level) management, he would have signed that contract. But yeah the Jones deal makes me a bit unsure, even though he's clearly a different case asset wise than Rojo.

Fracture90

That Fulham's CB was so dire, I'm starting to believe there's a chance we can offload this guy for some actual money!

M Utd

I agree in parts to both. Firstly he never looked as comfortable at left back as he did at CB. But due to the series of years where we struggled at left back was shunted there.

If I remember correctly he had a really good spell in the lead which unfortunately ended in him doing his acl about the same time as Zlatan. Before that he never had consistency and since then he's never been regularly fit or trusted.
I agree he can be rash and there were periods even in his purple patch when he was lucky to be on the pitch.
Overall as others have said he's at the very bottom of our current crop it seems and it's an area we have continually been rumoured to be wanting to improve. Even if he stays after the summer I don't think we are likely to see him very often.

kr0nix

Not sure if it's the right thread for this but loved his passion in the post match celebrations last night.

Robertd0803

Did a doubletake when I saw him on the pitch for the celebrations last night its been so long since I saw him.

He could have been a great defender for us had the injuries not halted his development. Strong, aggressive, quick, confident on the ball, good awareness and left footed, all the ingredients were there. He needed a season next to a settled CB like the current Lindelof. As it is he'll probably leave in the summer for some second tier league.

MadMike

His birthday today apparently. Turned 29. Should be at his peak but he's not featuring at all, despite Jones being perennially injured and Bailly also being out of sorts.
He still has a contract till 2021, with an option to extend to 2022.

Brophs

The One and Only
He should never have been signed. How he’s lasted this long is beyond me. He is and always was bang average.

He should never have been signed. How he’s lasted this long is beyond me. He is and always was bang average.
He was seemingly only signed due to LVGs obsession with having a left footed CB.

LVG is not e to rely to blame, he was long gone when we gave him a ridiculous new contract.

Worse than Anderson sticking around for 8 years. Need him gone ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.