5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGaalEra

Looked rattled by the boos and Swansea players being bit more physical with him.

Will always run his socks off and work hard, needs to work on his finishing.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
How have these stats been complied? I suspect they have simply given the ratio of goals to shots taken. Don't think that is a fair representation of someone's finishing.
Yeah, but that also works against Rashford too, you can't ask him to be a 30% finisher without having into account how many of his chances come from second plays, crosses, how many of them he earns or even creates, etc.

The Cristiano stat is so bad because he took a lot of shots outside the area (and even long distance) that gave him some goals by destroying his conversion rate, still, sometimes he's not a clinical finisher, like every player he has his share of missing sitters, but the volume of chances teams like Barcelona or Real Madrid create for their forwards usually ends up racking goals.

I like to see Rashford more in the spectrum of Cavani, Cavani is an awful finisher, far from clinical, but he earns and creates so many chances that at the end of the season he's still up there with the most clinical players, in that regard having Lukaku opens a paradox for Rashford, his raw output (chances created, key passes, and assists) might go up, but having a teammate scoring from fewer chances makes him look worse for people that don't look at the bigger picture, in the end it doesn't matter if you convert 50% of your chances creating 4 for game, or score 25% creating 8, the problem with guys like Rashford or Cavani is that people focus too much on the chances they miss because TV can dwell on that replay 5 times in a game, if you don't get into scoring spots often and just suck as much as the other 10 players of the team you haven't done better, but somehow people will ignore it because you're not in the spotlight thanks to making a great play and reaching a spot that no other player would reach to end up missing the goal.

Thing is, guys like Rashford are not easy to come by, the Messi vs Ronaldo era has biased people opinion into believing 15 goals per season isn't enough to be a top player,

madRedDevil07

You guys should start watching football properly and stop with the youtube highlights and believing the media hype

You're saying that Neymar or Suarez conversion rate wouldn't be enough, nevermind what you would think of CR7 and his 51 goals with a Conversion ratio of 0.18, below what you're asking from a guy that's not even in his 20's
I am not talking about shot / goals conversation ratio. I am talking about clear cut chances /goals conversion ratio. Rashford had 3-4 clear cut chances so far this season and he has not taken any of them.Assuming he takes one of next two clear cut chances , his goals/clear cut chances would be 0.17-0.2.
If you are talking about shot - goals conversion ratio in PL, Rashford's would be way less than Elite / Good PL strikers.( Assuming his ratio to be less than 0.1).

Eriku

What I mainly like is that he's learning and refining his play, but seems intent on retaining his penchant for just taking the ball to the defender and trying to make them dizzy. That often gets largely coached out of a player, wouldn't mind a player with Rasher's skill-set to keep at it :drool:

Only 19... crazy scary how good he can get if he keeps his nose to the grindstone.

SATA

He's so fearless with the ball that he will succeed with the club with this mentality. But why is he recently kept moaning at the referee whenever a decision doesn't go his way? It's almost border line Ronaldo petulance that i hate to see

haram

He's so fearless with the ball that he will succeed with the club with this mentality. But why is he recently kept moaning at the referee whenever a decision doesn't go his way? It's almost border line Ronaldo petulance that i hate to see
Well he gets kicked about 1000 times a game and it gets annoying after awhile.

GM K

There is a saying in top level chess: "The threat is stronger than the move."

Rashford offers loads of threats and that is a big plus. It means spaces can be created for other players.

Oh yes, he needs to improve his finishing but the good news is that the signs are there that he will. Once the team creates more chances and he bangs in a few, he will feel more confident and have a flow.

ash_86

He's growing , but need to work on this finishing. Pick a corner son, any one.

Ash_G

Think he's been pretty good so far. I would like to see him try and stay high up the pitch and make more runs in behind, think he's got a tendency to try and come short for the ball/get in to central areas and don't think that really suits him.

redIndianDevil

All players can hit a purple patch for a year. Can't say I remember that too clearly but based on the span of his career he wasn't clinical.
WTF did I just read? Rooney not a clinical finisher? FFS he's our leading goalscorer, that means no one that has ever played for United has scored as much as him, if he isn't clinical I don't know who is.

Mercurial

So a striker that doesn't score. Like Welbeck?
I hope not! I really like Rashford and the energy he brings to the side, he obviously know how to but for some reason it's not working out for him. Reminds a little bit of Robinho's case. Perhaps it's a confidence issue?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Every striker gets periods in their career where goals do not come easy. He's doing more than enough to merit a place in the team. Most importantly he's getting into goalscoring positions. He also attracts plenty defenders when in possession of the ball. Giving other players more room.

Young players can be both amazing and frustrating. Give it time, he certainly has all the attributes to be a mainstay at United.

redIndianDevil

I still see a younger Welbeck in Rashford, all huff and puff but no end product. I'm still worried that he's dribbling with his head down, he has no idea where his teammates are to pass the ball(or he was a bit greedy today), don't even get me started on his finishing, right now the only thing that favors him in starting over Martial is his ability to chase opponents a lot more. He shouldn't be starting next week.

OneUnited24

I still see a younger Welbeck in Rashford, all huff and puff but no end product. I'm still worried that he's dribbling with his head down, he has no idea where his teammates are to pass the ball(or he was a bit greedy today), don't even get me started on his finishing, right now the only thing that favors him in starting over Martial is his ability to chase opponents a lot more. He shouldn't be starting next week.
Hes got more goals for us at that age than Welbeck so my monies more on him being inconsistent with his final ball.

Take his chance today, a more experienced player would have thought "still nil nil, i better blast it". He thought hed be cute and try a chip that was never on. I've been really impressed by his dribbling this season, seems to have come on leaps and bounds, but i do see your point that he needs to get his head up more. Personally it looks like a kid thats been told to add a few more goals to his game and is trying to do so without it paying off.

Eddy_JukeZ

Has to finish that chance. I do think he has a tendency to lower his head too much and not take a glance to analyze what's ahead of him.

Some moments of danger, but hopefully the production follows in the future.

Dobbs

The problem with his finishing is mainly decision making. Welbeck just couldn't and still can't sort his feet out.

So it's something that can definitely be worked rather than an issue that will stick forever.

AXVnee7

My only criticism of him is that he needs to be better in 1v1 situations. He definitely has the talent and is usually ice cold, but recently he's mucked up really good chances.

It's just that otherwise he's doing very well. Very unlucky too as he hit the post in the first game.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not so great today but he troubles defences and his passing is improving.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Has the pace, the confidence and the ability, but he needs to start producing a better end product more consistently to take the next leap. He wastes a lot of good chances by dribbling into players, over-hitting the ball or by wasting good openings.

I'd like to see him and Martial swap places for a couple of games. See how Martial does starting and how Rashford does coming on against tired legs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looks like he's adding new things to his game when it comes to his quality on the ball. Last season, he appeared to be a bit of a kick and run type player but he appears more in control now. However, he has lots of work on with respect to his end product and team play. The end product will come, but for me, he tries way too hard to look impressive on the ball. Seems intend on trying overly flashy things for no reason. It's a young player thing, I know, but still something to work on.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He can be a very erratic player with erratic skills. One moment he shows incredible skill, the next he loses possession due to a stupid mistake. Finishing and composure have been poor and all in all, he was rightly taken off

Oscie

Crowd got to him, he spent his entire time on the pitch trying to respond to them and as a result really stopped playing with the team. Disappointing in the one-on-one too.

caid

He seems far more clinical when you start him at #9.
Maybe hes overthinking it or something. He has less time to think and is running more on instinct when you put him up front?
Give him one player to beat on the edge of the box before he can shoot and he just looks a lot more natural and dangerous.
Meh, the goals will come and one assist isn't a bad start (that was the first goal against west ham wasn't it?)

Any particular reason he was being booed?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He is not very good. Technique is okish, dribbling is bad all he does is head down and run fast. Effort is there but talent is lacking. Finishing is abysmal and might cost us in one big match this season. At best will be a squad player for us down the line. Hope he prooves me wrong but i do not see anything great in him. Him being 19 doesnt guarantee him being better than he is now later on in his career.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Criticism is silly, he is fine and will be a great player for us.

RedFish

At least he has a go at getting past the defender. Been crying out for penetration but can't help feeling Martial is better at it. Not going to bash him for inconsistency, he's barely out of nappies!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A great talent, no doubt. Needs to really work on his finishing though. Can be extremely profligate in front of goal, which can be frustrating. No doubt he will get there though and i think he has a really bright future in front of him.

Dobbs

He is not very good. Technique is okish, dribbling is bad all he does is head down and run fast. Effort is there but talent is lacking. Finishing is abysmal and might cost us in one big match this season. At best will be a squad player for us down the line. Hope he prooves me wrong but i do not see anything great in him. Him being 19 doesnt guarantee him being better than he is now later on in his career.
Its not a guarantee but it's as close as you can get.

Unless you can name a bunch of players who were at their best at 19?

ti vu

This is very harsh. Rashford IMO didn't fulfill the job of keeping width well this game since he made wrong decision in coming central too much. But it's just that decision making. Finishing, dribbling is the same. He tried to be too clever for his own good. It's clear he is still inexperienced.

He would get better. The thing is there is too much extremity in judging our youngster potential. One group is all about overrating and the other seriously undermining.

RedRover

He's by no means the finished article but his ability to beat a player, make things happen and be a constant thorn in the side of the opposition marks him out as a player who could become very good indeed. The suggestion that he just puts his head down and runs is bizarre. His pace and control has experienced players backing off which indicates what he's all about.

Added to that is a regular ability to turn it on when it counts, as he has done over the last year or so.

Sometimes I honestly think people expect far too much of young players these days. As with Martial last year some fans love to write them off at the first sign of an iffy game or nit pick over small things. He may not ever develop past his current level but you could say that of any young player. As it stands I'd say he's doing fine.

gormless

Its not a guarantee but it's as close as you can get.

Unless you can name a bunch of players who were at their best at 19?
Sticking with English strikers/wingers in the North West of England to keep the Rashford connection going- Fowler, Owen, Sharpe.

Further afield, how old was Gazza when he peaked? Brazilian Ronaldo was about 19/20 I think when he peaked at Barca

AP88

Supports
Man City
WTF did I just read? Rooney not a clinical finisher? FFS he's our leading goalscorer, that means no one that has ever played for United has scored as much as him, if he isn't clinical I don't know who is.
Rooney was a technical finisher, not a natural one. Same with RVP. Cristiano Ronaldo nor Henry were either; it doesn't mean he can't/won't score a shitload of goals, he just needs to compose himself.

He's very very similar to CR and Henry at the same age, has all of the raw attributes, just needs to cultivate and merge them.

Oscie

Criticism is silly, he is fine and will be a great player for us.
I like Rashford but criticism isn't detrimental. He's being judged through what he does on the pitch and rightfully so. He isn't in that 'react like a 5 year old just recited Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star but got words wrong and pretend we don't notice' zone when it comes to evaluating his appearance that we tend to keep players in for far too long- which IMO will be beneficial for him in the long run.

Noticing when he hasn't played well is more a sign of his progress than pretending he's done well when he hasn't.

wiz4231

He's coming across as being a bit greedy and selfish in these last two games, he wants to do it all on his own. He's extremely talented but he just needs to keep it simple, be a team player in the final third, make better decisions and he'll keep developing nicely.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This boy has been delivering in big games his whole career; Chelsea last season, Arsenal debut, Manchester derby, European debut, Anderlecht and Celta Vigo winners in QF and SF of Europa. He didn't cost us at all, that chance that he missed was created on all of his own doing. I doubt other players in our squad would have anticipated that miss from the Swansea defender in the first place; and had the speed, touch to get to the position he was in. Just let himself down with that finish - but he created it from nothing.

He was great today, his technique is above average. He was banging out flip-flaps, he did a brilliant piece of skill where he spun around the defender and accelerated and he was an overall nuisance for Swansea. He's only 19 and his skillset is only going to get sharper. It's just people are expecting him to turn into Lewandowski over Summer, by the time he's 22/23 we'll reap the rewards from playing him. We're lucky not only to have a prospect like him but the fact that he's English and Academy raised is something special.

Maybe you're just disappointed Martial didn't start but that's no reason to take it out on Rashford who had a fairly good performance. They both are on the same team and are fighting for the same cause.

Last edited:

Dobbs

Sticking with English strikers/wingers in the North West of England to keep the Rashford connection going- Fowler, Owen, Sharpe.

Further afield, how old was Gazza when he peaked? Brazilian Ronaldo was about 19/20 I think when he peaked at Barca
They were all plagued with injury from their teenage years onwards. I think you're wrong on their peak being 19 anyway.

In any case I'm talking about all things being well and normal players don't peak at 19. Can't believe I'm having to say that.

Ashley R1+O

Worked his balls off all game. Lukaku provides a lot of extra space for him to work his magic, some of it didn't come off but he is just such a dangerous player and when he starts to put it together with some more confidence, wow. Personally would not want to be seeing his name on the team sheet if I was a right back. I think the way Mourinho is working it at the moment is perfect, Rashford non stop balls to the wall for 65-70 minutes then bring Martial on against tired legs. What a dilemma to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.