Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he was very hit and miss today but can't shake the Ronaldo similarities. From the sublime to the ridiculous at any given moment but keeps showing more and more to his game. When he matures and gets more consistent he could become a very special player.

FromTheBench

He may have shit moments but he also has great moments each match he plays.

And you could see he is striving to improve each game. He has that Ronaldo type dedication.

Fracture90

Pretty invisible up until our first goal, beautiful little flick to Lukaku. Very good 2ND half.

So fekin happy we got him, brilliant talent, really want him to succeed here!

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Obviously Martial is the more naturally better player but he doesnt apply himself as well as Rashford.

If you could morph Rashfords mentality with Martials ability you would have a player better than Mbappe imo

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Had a great second half. Good shout in a potential Gareth Bale-like development for him. As he fills out I can see him having very similar qualities.

Shark

@NotShark
He definitely reminds me of a raw Bale. His speed is frightening down that wing.

IrishRedDevil

Obviously Martial is the more naturally better player but he doesnt apply himself as well as Rashford.

If you could morph Rashfords mentality with Martials ability you would have a player better than Mbappe imo
Both easily give Mbappe a run for his money on their day.
Please stop speaking about Mbappe as if he is Messi/Ronaldo.

Shark

@NotShark
Marcus Rashford is a typical English young talent - technically poor, make up for said inferior technique by running around madly and conceding niggling fouls, absolutely no control of the ball when dribbling, try pointless dragbacks, flicks and skill moves and still end up running into a blind alley and a lack of composure which leads to poor finishing. I still cannot understand how he was allowed to take corners, set-pieces when his delivery is so crap, isn't Pogba a better free kick taker?

I cannot for the life of me understand how people on here rate Rashford higher than Martial. I was totally against bringing in Perisic, but if Rashford and Lingard are going to be ahead of Martial in the left side, then I pray to god that Woodward pays whatever Inter want for Perisic.
Oh, and I have a feeling this post will look very stupid at the end of this season.

Jagga7

I thought he was brilliant today. The pass to Lukaku for the goal was so incisive, so many times players make the easy pass out wide there. Our biggest threat in every game I've seen him play.

AP88

Supports
Man City

It's the Anelka-Henry situation all over again; Anelka was widely regarded as the better talent of the two in their late teens, but his inablility to match his ability with application and intensity saw him fall way behind Henry, who's determination to maximise what talents he did have and merge gradually established technical brilliance with his natural physical advantages saw him become one of the best in the world for a decade.

Hopefully in this case both manage to attain, and then sustain, elite level careers.

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both easily give Mbappe a run for his money on their day.
Please stop speaking about Mbappe as if he is Messi/Ronaldo.
He had 40 goals+assists as a 17 year old. Thats a first since chubby Ronaldo.. still early, but he's probably as talented as they were, if he has the attitude is a whole different ballbag

AndyJ1985

He had 40 goals+assists as a 17 year old. Thats a first since chubby Ronaldo.. still early, but he's probably as talented as they were, if he has the attitude is a whole different ballbag
What's his ball bag got to do with anything?

Handré1990

I thought he was very hit and miss today but can't shake the Ronaldo similarities. From the sublime to the ridiculous at any given moment but keeps showing more and more to his game. When he matures and gets more consistent he could become a very special player.
This is something I was discussing with a mate during the game. Even if he only has an OK game, he has abilties to do something special. The shot that hit the post and the assist were special moments. Once he scores a handful of those, defenders are gonna be even more insecure when facing him. He can score from distance, dribble, assist and actually has a mean cross when he feels like it.

Minimalist

Had a poor opening 20 minutes or so but after that (well pretty much from the assist to Lukaku) he was very dangerous.

Hopefully a nice bit of competition between him and Martial who also looked sharp.

RRCE

He had his ups and downs today, but he showed the right attacking spirit throughout. I do like his aggressiveness in that regard. It's easy to forget just how young he is. His decision making will improve as he matures. There's no guarantees, of course, but I expect him to become more clinical with his finishing as well. He has the talent. He just needs time.

I will say, I can see why Mourinho favours him (and possibly why he starts over Martial). Rashford really does work his socks off. He never quits. I suspect he's like that in training as well. That sort if attitude and work ethic, combined with the talent, clearly endears him to the Manager.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is something I was discussing with a mate during the game. Even if he only has an OK game, he has abilties to do something special. The shot that hit the post and the assist were special moments. Once he scores a handful of those, defenders are gonna be even more insecure when facing him. He can score from distance, dribble, assist and actually has a mean cross when he feels like it.
Yeah, that's what I mean. So many strings to his bow. None of them finely tuned yet but he's still just a teenager. The potential is there for all to see though. He's a player who could end up having absolutely everything.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Oh, and I have a feeling this post will look very stupid at the end of this season.
Looks stupid now. And if you're gonna slag off English talent, then maybe don't support an English team.

Handré1990

Yeah, that's what I mean. So many strings to his bow. None of them finely tuned yet but he's still just a teenager. The potential is there for all to see though. He's a player who could end up having absolutely everything.
I get frustrated with him sometimes during games, he makes some bad decisions, runs the ball out of play and what have you, but that's when I remind myself he's only a kid, only 19! The way he constantly tries to take responsibility makes me all warm and fuzzy:)

Like you said, he may well become something special. For now I'm going to enjoy his progression from a special youngster.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Encouraging performance! What an assist, too. Only thing he lacked was composure in front of goal but hopefully that will come in time.
It was definitely a pass to Matic. I'm 100% sure of that.

But he has done well in that first half. He looks to be enjoying a lot more freedom than just a left winger.
I don't know if I'd agree that it was for Matic but, even if it was, it still would've been a sublime pass as Matic would've got the ball anyway.
I think Martial's the bigger talent but can see why Mourinho favours him. Really impressive development.
I don't think there is anyone that thinks Rashford is more talented than Martial. I love Rashford and think he's very talented with great potential but Martial is something else.

Vaibhav Raj

He was decent enough today overall. I won't complain if he keeps putting up performances like that. I think people are judging him too harshly because Martial came in and did better in even less time.
Then I have to say those people are morons. Martial came on when the team was 2-0 up and had the game under control. Moreover the opposition defenders were tired after having to chase Rahsford all over the left wing. The two players played in entirely different circumstances and, by that comparison, Rahsford was much better and much more vital to our victory.

NoPace

I thought he played well, but watched the MOTD highlights and he really was involved in most of our dangerous attacks until he came off. Lukaku was right to mention him specifically post-game.

We're talking about a 19 year old LW with great pace who played a clever little slipped through ball with perfect weight to set up Lukaku's opener, hit the post on a shot outside the 18 cutting in, had to composure to play a simple ball over to Mkhitaryan after running at full pelt to almost set up Lukaku's 3rd (the great Zabaleta block) and draw a yellow card from the fullback marking him. He also got in behind the defense (duffed the shot, sure) for a 1 on 1 and would have done a second time with a really clever bit of movement (He's not near the brilliant Mata but he's not far off from Mkhitaryan and miles above Martial on that score) if Pogba hadn't overhit a fairly open pass at another point.

Even if Martial is suddenly brilliant again and basically turns into Arjen Robben, which is possible when you've got his ball control and pace, I think Rashford might still end up starting at RW when we play 4-3-3 in tougher games. Mourinho surely trusts him defensively over Mkhitaryan and he's still got crossing ability and with his pace and shooting would still be a goal threat even on the right wing.

NoPace

He definitely reminds me of a raw Bale. His speed is frightening down that wing.
Yup. Our attack suddenly fairly well balanced with Lukaku on the last shoulder, Mata or Mkhitaryan coming inside and shorter to link up and help the midfield from the right wing (like Isco does for Madrid) and Rashford or Martial on the left wing 5-10 yards higher up the pitch and looking to get in behind (like Cristiano does for Madrid).

Kostur

海尔的老板
The main reason why he'll be kept being chosen over Martial is his movement. Saw that yesterday, watching post-match analysis today confirms it pretty much. He's constantly attacking space, something Martial doesn't really do, he wans the ball to his feet, he waits for it. Rashford makes numerous runs even if he's not picked up by the passer. Even if he doesn't receive the ball, he's actively taking part in the offensive play because he's taking a defender with him, making the defender switch his stance, worry, make a decision whether he should go with him or stay with his man. I bet Jose loves that.

Even if he doesn't score that too often he's doing immense off-ball job at times and the goals will come imo, especially when he's going to work with Lukaku now who's a great finisher and hopefully Zlatan when he comes back from injury. He's still 19, he'll work on his finishing but imo he's got the more important part of the game on his side already, one that often is tougher to learn. Combined with his raw physical attributes, it's going to be great. Keep playing him on the wing imo, he'll be brought into the game enough times in a system we played yesterday.

NinjaFletch

Encouraging performance! What an assist, too. Only thing he lacked was composure in front of goal but hopefully that will come in time.

I don't know if I'd agree that it was for Matic but, even if it was, it still would've been a sublime pass as Matic would've got the ball anyway.

I don't think there is anyone that thinks Rashford is more talented than Martial. I love Rashford and think he's very talented with great potential but Martial is something else.
I think Rashford Is more talented tbh.

The only area I'd comfortably give Martial is dribbling and even then I'd say it wasn't a washout. Martial is currently the more clinical finisher, but we've seen that side of Rashfords game in the past and technically he does nothing wrong. I think that will come.

Aside from that I think Rashford edges Martial all over the pitch. It's always difficult to judge with youth players, Martial might have a break out season, but I think there's elements of Rashfords game that are completely absent from Martial's and that I have no confidence he'll ever become great at.

Last edited:

ManuMou

The main reason why he'll be kept being chosen over Martial is his movement. Saw that yesterday, watching post-match analysis today confirms it pretty much. He's constantly attacking space, something Martial doesn't really do, he wans the ball to his feet, he waits for it. Rashford makes numerous runs even if he's not picked up by the passer. Even if he doesn't receive the ball, he's actively taking part in the offensive play because he's taking a defender with him, making the defender switch his stance, worry, make a decision whether he should go with him or stay with his man. I bet Jose loves that.

Even if he doesn't score that too often he's doing immense off-ball job at times and the goals will come imo, especially when he's going to work with Lukaku now who's a great finisher and hopefully Zlatan when he comes back from injury. He's still 19, he'll work on his finishing but imo he's got the more important part of the game on his side already, one that often is tougher to learn. Combined with his raw physical attributes, it's going to be great. Keep playing him on the wing imo, he'll be brought into the game enough times in a system we played yesterday.
This. Both players bring something different.

I hope to see Martial-Lukaku-Rashford

fellaini's barber

I think he was great today. Commentator on tv couldn't stop praising him. With more luck he'll score more.

He might be as good as Ronaldo once he's older, can't wait for it.
English commentators praising English players, how suprising. As for being good as Ronaldo....calm the feck down

twitter thread suggester
English commentators praising English players, how suprising. As for being good as Ronaldo....calm the feck down
Jan Mølby, who hates everything related to United, also couldn't stop praising him yesterday on Danish TV.

fellaini's barber

Jan Mølby, who hates everything related to United, also couldn't stop praising him yesterday on Danish TV.
And I agree with them, he was great yesterday. But commentators going crazy over a young british player is not something I'll use to praise someone. Fair enough if the guy he was refering to was not british

barmyarmy

Brilliant post completely agree with everything specially the bolded part having said that if Martial had someone similar to valencia in LB position would have helped his case a lot.

Rashford's dribbling was brilliant last night would wait for a few games to see if its really improved or was just a great day for him (I said last season he needs to work on his dribbling). I think in big games when we are defending deep and looking to hit on counter Rashford (RW) Lukaku (CF), Martial (LW) would be devastating with rashers pace on right side and martials dribbling & ability to beat his man & Lukaku's pace and movement any team would have hard time in defending against them.

Womp

idiot

Basically what I've been saying for a while, we don't play a posession system under Jose which is why I think he's struggled a bit. Hopefully this season we'll see an improvement from him on those fronts though.

Back on topic to Rashford - we've got a gem, what a performance by him yesterday, was involved in everything and was running around everywhere. Can't believe some people on here genuinely believe he's an average talent.

chb23

Always love rashford for the directness he brings to the team. I hope he goes to the next level.

Really hoping he improves his decision making and look up more too

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Think he's more talented than Martial. Martial has better technique and basis technique, better dribbler and his inside foor finishing and quick link up play in tight spaces is better. Rashford has better understanding of the game generally I feel. Better work off the ball, a bit faster, bigger range of finishing and shooting, a bit better defensively, better crossing too. He seems a more all round forward imo af younger age, whilst Martial can become a phenomenal wide forward I feel.

Robertd0803

Very good performance, was unlucky not to score the one that hit the post and should have scored the one he put wide. But he was very dangerous throughout and his link up with Lukaku was particularly good.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Does everything brilliantly apart from putting the ball in the back of the net. He doesn't look like a natural finisher but I can't help but agree with others that are comparing him to a young Ronaldo, who was also good at everything other than his final ball and finishing in his early days.

Ubermensch

He doesn't touch martial. Rashford has more strings to his bow but so did toure over busquets-doesn't make him better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Also worth pointing out when Rashford sprinted back and covered for Blind and ran the ball out for a goal/corner. That defensive part of his game is just as important for Jose I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.