Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, Rashford's biggest flaw is that he can't dribble the ball in confined spaces. He's had success running into open spaces and hence scored goals and got assists etc. But if you only look at his G/A's and ignore his game in the build up/approach play, then you're in denial about Rashford's true level imo.

Players like Adama Traore, Saint Maximim, Kamaldeen etc may not get as many goals as Rashford, but their ability run at pace with the ball glued to their foot will unhinge the opposition defensive structure, which in turn will open up space for team mates. The ability in the build up phase is of absolute paramount importance which Rashford is failing at imo.

I've shared the below highlights video before and Ryan Giggs is the perfect example of the profile of player we're missing. And I'm not saying it's easy to find a Ryan Giggs, but there's better players than Rashford who can be deployed as inside forwards and provide a better return in the build up phase/approach play to make us look more fluid.

OmarUnited4ever

How he decided to stop tracking back for their equalizer was criminal.
If you watch Sancho, not that he tracks back aggressively or lounge into tackles, all Sancho does is get back in shape and help out the FB, strength in numbers if you may, nothing revolutionary really, and him being behind the ball when out of possession helps the FB to defend a smaller space.

Rashford even fails to do that!!! for their their goal, their LB (Perroud?) moves with ball a bit and passes it centrally, here Rashford could have run back to cut off the LB advance while the ball was with Romeu, but he didn't, forcing Dalot to go and engage the high-up LB, who then passes the ball in the half space, forcing Varane to go out and engage with Elyounessi, leaving Adams in space behind vacated by Dalot & Varane, it was annoying to watch happening and a goal coming from it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like Luis Diaz?
I haven't seen much of Diaz but from the little I've seen, he's a player that plays the game with real intensity and is good at keeping the ball under his spell whilst under pressure.

Antony from Ajax could be someone that interests us.

Zoo

His refusal to work back and help his fullback is unacceptable and has been going on for far too long. Martial was more defensively diligent then him yet was regularly criticised.

OmarUnited4ever

I haven't seen much of Diaz but from the little I've seen, he's a player that plays the game with real intensity and is good at keeping the ball under his spell whilst under pressure.

Antony from Ajax could be someone that interests us.
Antony of Ajax is not only skillful, but has pace to burn.

I'll stop here as this is Rashford's performance thread

Abraxas

Awful on the right when he's there. Just doesn't have enough in his locker to be moved out of his favoured position. All his productive spells have been off the left.

To play on the right as a right footer you've got to be able to go down the outside, to put in a good delivery. Or at least be smart enough to find the right runs and link with the striker. He does none of this, just runs down blind alleys, and smashes balls in as if he's Roberto Carlos taking a free kick.

A real problem as I think Sancho is better on the left too so our attack is quite unbalanced without Greenwood.

NZT-One

When you think his decision making is getting a little bit better, he delivers such a game destroying all hope... Seriously I think, he should be separated from his entourage a little while and we should get him a real standout professional who goes through his traits with him honestly evaluating everything...
I have no freaking idea who or what gives him the impression, that he should be dribbling against more than one opponent...?

Today he rushed play when there would be possibilities to bring others into play and he delayed scenes where we could really overthrow opposition organisation. It is infuriating and it is going on forever... Please bring back the Rashford of the early Ole reign. The one who tried to facilitate for others.

We are complaining about finishing being our only issue in the last three games, I think it is astonishing how we manage to put up decent performances when having no less then three (next to-)no-shows on the pitch in Rashford, Ronaldo and mostly Bruno.

NZT-One

Awful on the right when he's there. Just doesn't have enough in his locker to be moved out of his favoured position. All his productive spells have been off the left.

To play on the right as a right footer you've got to be able to go down the outside, to put in a good delivery. Or at least be smart enough to find the right runs and link with the striker. He does none of this, just runs down blind alleys, and smashes balls in as if he's Roberto Carlos taking a free kick.

A real problem as I think Sancho is better on the left too so our attack is quite unbalanced without Greenwood.
I agree with that. Oh the irony isn't it? Going out to chase your 73 mio pound right wing only to find out that he is better on the left. (Which I think, was something a few people reported from his Dortmund days as well.

Maybe this gives us an opportunity to go for a real dribbler. Our squad could seriously do with one.

UncleBob

rashford had been awful on both sides

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's a striker but with bad finishing ability. Basically, Werner with flair. Can't be called a winger or wide player if you can't do at least either dribble or cross.

Bondi77

He's a striker but with bad finishing ability. Basically, Werner with flair. Can't be called a winger or wide player if you can't do at least either dribble or cross.
Having a striker with bad finishing ability is like having a car without wheels.....fecking useless!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Good assist and a few good runs which weren't picked out in first half aside....he was very poor again. He's trying too hard to me at times to do something extraordinary everytime he gets it.

Poor coaching is what it boils down to. Pep would get those bad habits out of his game and fast. It's like our coaches just let the players do as they please.

stevoc

Which begs the question as to why Ralf keeps playing him on the right.

Lots of people think Sancho is better on the left, and he may be marginally better there though I'm not convinced. But switching them would give the team much better balance plus give us the option to actually get a few decent crosses in from the right to Ronaldo as Dalot sure as shit isn't providing any.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Having a striker with bad finishing ability is like having a car without wheels.....fecking useless!
Striker without movement is a car without wheels. Bad finishing ability is just worse quality means Bad finishing ability just need more chances than the good one.

arnie_ni

Has it ever stuck to him? He’s always been a bit of a kick and run player and when it doesn’t come off he looks out of his depth. Good instinctive finisher but he lacks so many other qualities to be a top top player.
He hasn't though. When he came through he had everything, he's been developed into what he is today.

eire-red

With our lack of squad depth, we'll have to play him. Think we should switch him back to the left. Sancho has been playing well, but we look more balanced with Sancho on the right and Rashford on the left.

Needs to have a long look in the mirror.

Greck

He's unlucky because the poor depth in attack means there's no hiding. His weaknesses will be on full display every week for the next 3 months.

Foxbatt

With our lack of squad depth, we'll have to play him. Think we should switch him back to the left. Sancho has been playing well, but we look more balanced with Sancho on the right and Rashford on the left.

Needs to have a long look in the mirror.
He was awful on both wings. When he was on the left he ran into players and lost the ball. When he is on the right he doesn't track back. He should be benched. Give the young players a chance.

gajender

We should be actively trying to sell him in summer may be one of PSG or Barca could be tempted, under no circumstances he should be offered Contract extension .

stw2022

When he gets himself into a dead end such as incidents where he realises he’s no longer in a position to put in a decent ball, has a habit of falling backwards

The reason why he’s more awful on the right, despite being right footed is because he sulks as it’s more difficult to cut inside and be Rashy of the Rovers. So it isn’t that he’s any better player on the left, he’s just less inclined to act like a brat.

Extremely limited footballer who has been afforded far more opportunities to develop and adapt his game then he should but has refused to do so and still plays like he thinks he’s Ronaldo

Last edited:

NK86

His refusal to work back and help his fullback is unacceptable and has been going on for far too long. Martial was more defensively diligent then him yet was regularly criticised.
This. Ole may have pandered to him. However, why is RR not doing anything to cut that out. Give Elanga a chance regularly and bench Rashford if he doesn't sort out his laziness. No top manager would ever accept the lack of efforts in defensive duties as Ole and now RR is doing. Fergie too only ever allowed this kind of freedom to a genuine GOAT like Ronaldo.

Really feel Rashford has grown too big for his boots and needs to be pegged down a level or two for his own good. If he doesn't get the hint, ship him off.

NoPace

At the moment I'd bet on us missing out on 4th place as another team gets hot and Cristiano leaves and the new manager makes him the backup #9. We won't have any in the squad unless the new manager loves Antony Martial.

Sancho(Elanga)----#9(Rashford)------Amad(Pellistri)

And that'll be it because we need to sign 2 midfielders and a RB and a CB and that's already 5 players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually think he might be the laziest player in the side. Take him and Ronaldo out of the front 3 and replace them with two players who actually have some mobility going both ways and we’ll improve big time

Foxbatt

At this moment in time any decent striker and a winger would be better than these two Ronnies.

clarkydaz

The reason why he’s more awful on the right, despite being right footed is because he sulks as it’s more difficult to cut inside and be Rashy of the Rovers. So it isn’t that he’s any better player on the left, he’s just less inclined to act like a brat.
i think this might be one of the reasons Ralf is doing it. He is useless to the striker

I’m loving my life

He really has become a shadow of the player he was. At 24 I think he should be on his last chance really for us. He could still have a good career somewhere but we should definitely not be rewarding him with a big contract unless he completely turns things around. We can’t afford to carry him. Maybe ETH/our next manager can bring his best out but do we want to risk it?

Pughnichi

He really has become a shadow of the player he was. At 24 I think he should be on his last chance really for us. He could still have a good career somewhere but we should definitely not be rewarding him with a big contract unless he completely turns things around. We can’t afford to carry him. Maybe ETH/our next manager can bring his best out but do we want to risk it?
this really irritates me. You just know that when he’s up for renewal he’ll be after more money…Citing that he’s older, more experienced and should be on a better wage.

SAF always told younger players…the money will come…if you’re good enough.

we need to stop rewarding mediocrity with either a) new contracts entirely or b) pay increases.

surely we’d have a case to be argued to Rashford and his agent…nah sorry, the previous contract was an investment based on what was expected. He hasn’t reached that and therefore drop his wage. Call his bluff.

so many have rinsed the club before and we need to draw a line in the sand. If they don’t want to be here for a reasonable wage, good luck elsewhere

the_cliff

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, Rashford's biggest flaw is that he can't dribble the ball in confined spaces. He's had success running into open spaces and hence scored goals and got assists etc. But if you only look at his G/A's and ignore his game in the build up/approach play, then you're in denial about Rashford's true level imo.

Players like Adama Traore, Saint Maximim, Kamaldeen etc may not get as many goals as Rashford, but their ability run at pace with the ball glued to their foot will unhinge the opposition defensive structure, which in turn will open up space for team mates. The ability in the build up phase is of absolute paramount importance which Rashford is failing at imo.

I've shared the below highlights video before and Ryan Giggs is the perfect example of the profile of player we're missing. And I'm not saying it's easy to find a Ryan Giggs, but there's better players than Rashford who can be deployed as inside forwards and provide a better return in the build up phase/approach play to make us look more fluid.

We had one of those type of players, we sent him to Sevilla on loan.

James35

I really hope we sell Rashford myself. Think he has reached a peak at United and now just looks so average and fed up. If we could get decent money for him let him go. Getting rid of him, Martial, potentially Greenwood and completely refreshing the forwards and wide players could work wonders in my opinion. Sancho a top forward and another good winger added to a top class number 6 and 8, I think we will be fine even with our questionable defenders. Would cost a fair bit mind so can’t see it happening but if I was the new manager I would be going this route to get us challenging again.

Status
Not open for further replies.