4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

He really has become a shadow of the player he was. At 24 I think he should be on his last chance really for us. He could still have a good career somewhere but we should definitely not be rewarding him with a big contract unless he completely turns things around. We can’t afford to carry him. Maybe ETH/our next manager can bring his best out but do we want to risk it?
This club will never give up on Rashy, the fact that he's a youth product and his off the pitch work, he's almost guaranteed a contract no matter how he plays.

Unless Rashford decides to leave, we won't even entertain the idea. I'm not saying I feel Rashford should be sold but our decision makers are so sentimental that even if he needed to be sold they wouldn't want to.

Banana Republic

There's no point hoping there'll be any real or significant improvement in Rashford's performances.
Sure, he's got the capability to bang in a few goals here and there, but overall he's been a drag on the team for a couple of seasons.
I don't think the lack of effort in working for the team and the complete lack of defensive endeavour, is entirely down to laziness or any cockiness; I just don't think he has a a clue.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This. Ole may have pandered to him. However, why is RR not doing anything to cut that out. Give Elanga a chance regularly and bench Rashford if he doesn't sort out his laziness. No top manager would ever accept the lack of efforts in defensive duties as Ole and now RR is doing. Fergie too only ever allowed this kind of freedom to a genuine GOAT like Ronaldo.

Really feel Rashford has grown too big for his boots and needs to be pegged down a level or two for his own good. If he doesn't get the hint, ship him off.
Kinda reminds me of an old thread.

BorisManUtd

Some people want him sold but Rashford will surely get another season and another chance under new manager. Plus we can't afford to lose almost all of our attacking players in one summer.

Kaos

There's no point hoping there'll be any real or significant improvement in Rashford's performances.
Sure, he's got the capability to bang in a few goals here and there, but overall he's been a drag on the team for a couple of seasons.
I don't think the lack of effort in working for the team and the complete lack of defensive endeavour, is entirely down to laziness or any cockiness; I just don't think he has a a clue.
Yep, I've never seen a player who's had so many excuses conjured up for him to absolve him of his shite performances. First it was the injuries, then it was the Euros disappointment and backlash. then it was the breakup with his missus, eventually we'll be claiming he feels chronically anxious over Russia's impending invasion of Ukraine. Turns out he's just been a bang average player we've overhyped to the moon.

Good PR or otherwise I genuinely hope our next manager is given the agency to drop or sell him if he feels he's not up to it.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think we need to give him one more season and then cash in, incase he doesn’t renew.

CloneMC16

He hasn't though. When he came through he had everything, he's been developed into what he is today.
Agreed. We've seen a lot of good dribbling from him in the past. He's been mostly shit for a year and a half, but that doesn't take away from the good performances that he's given us. He might never get back to the level he was at. That would be really sad, but people shouldn't try and say he's always been like this.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Still struggles with his decision in the final 3rd for me, as the years go on he’s reminded me more and more of Walcott. All the talent but never quite learnt that composure so so it’s a bit pot luck whether he makes the right decision.

arnie_ni

Agreed. We've seen a lot of good dribbling from him in the past. He's been mostly shit for a year and a half, but that doesn't take away from the good performances that he's given us. He might never get back to the level he was at. That would be really sad, but people shouldn't try and say he's always been like this.

Even when he first came into the team his movement in the box was class and he scored quite a few headers, he doesn't seem to have that at all anymore

sideshowbob

We all know he’s been in shocking form for about 18 months but his part in the goal is unforgivable. 2 mins after half time (Yes, Bruno’s pressing is stupid but the point still stands).

If he gets behind the ball rather than ambling back. Pogba doesn’t get passed around so easily, Dalot doesn’t get dragged out and the entire defence don’t have to shift across causing problems.

stw2022

More than any other player he’s emblematic of the decline. Nowhere near good enough, work rate of a 40 year old former 3-time ballon d'or winner making a Soccer Aid appearance, who will likely never not be a fixture of the squad because of some ridiculous belief that keeping bang average players around simply because they come from the academy is representative of the ‘United way’

If Fergie was 20 years younger, Rashford would be in his second season with Newcastle

CM

He's unbelievably lazy. His running stats must be lower than Ronaldo's at this point, and he doesn't even have the excuse of being 37 years old.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This club will never give up on Rashy, the fact that he's a youth product and his off the pitch work, he's almost guaranteed a contract no matter how he plays.

Unless Rashford decides to leave, we won't even entertain the idea. I'm not saying I feel Rashford should be sold but our decision makers are so sentimental that even if he needed to be sold they wouldn't want to.
Yeh. Rooney was like 40 y.o. Riquelme before United entertained of letting him go. That marketing (and asset) value is important.

Greck

He doesn't play smart so he can't afford not to play hard. When Pogba puts in more effort than you you're a full on defensive liability. The most disgusting thing about Rashford right now is he'll give the ball away cheaply and despite being the closest do nothing to press. All he wants to do is hang up top waiting to be released. That clip is in a nutshell why it's such a dumb way of thinking. You're not getting released if the other team scores so prioritize winning the ball back when it's close. We have so many players who expect to be catered to. Attackers especially are generally lacking in selflessness.

ash_86

Rashford needs to get called out for his effort. What he does of pitch is different from what he does on it and two needs to be separated. His efforts on the pitch isn't good enough and more often than not is swept under the carpet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Incredible how much he has regressed. There's no finess or precision to his game.

Red_toad

Even when he first came into the team his movement in the box was class and he scored quite a few headers, he doesn't seem to have that at all anymore
Probably as a result of shite coaching. We seem to have developed a knack of coaching desirable traits out of our players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Im not ruling out the idea that hes told to wait on the oppositions backline to help a counter. I think this confuses him on when he should sprint back and help the team and when he should stay up

stw2022

People still trying to link not being arsed to make an effort with mental health. I’m not a doctor but I’m pretty sure a sign of being depressed isn’t not bothering to track back. I’m not aware of any specific type of depression that only kicks in when the opposition has the ball

Nickelodeon

There's no threat on him for losing his place. But he's slowly becoming our Dele Ali. The commentators and pundits fawn all over him where if he doesn't perform well, its always on the manager (or during Ole, the entire club). And "getting the best out of him" is on the manager rather than him delivering world class numbers you should expect out of a top wide forward. If we can sell him off for 50+ million, it would be a major win. But that sort of awareness and decision making is miles beyond our board.

Telsim

This clip, haha. If it was Martial, or Pogba, or just about anyone else, they'd be getting torn to shreds. But because it's Rashford it's all swept under the carpet. "One of our own"; "He loves the club" etc. The excuses made for him are endless. If I were another player in the same team, I'd be pretty pissed off at the special treatment he gets, while everyone else gets it.

I think a lot of people confound criticizing his performances with attacks on him personally and his off-field activities. And they are afraid to do that. That isn't it, though. Ultimately this is a football club and he has settled in to be an average footballer who simply doesn't make the cut and needs to be released.

Last edited:

stw2022

The thing that annoys me about him is that he used to work his socks off under Jose. What happened, he's only 24
Honestly I think it’s a player who believes he’s better than he is. Yes he has a good PR team and he’s done some socially admirable things. But that has never meant he’s guaranteed to be immune from the typical trajectory of many players who are treated as sensations at an early age at a big club.

I don’t think there’s ever been any other reason for him failing to develop a single element of his game, why he visibly sulks if he’s asked to play on the right and why he can seldom be bothered to track back. He thinks he doesn’t have to. Or shouldn’t have to. If he never did the school meals campaign there wouldn’t be a single person who would be of any other opinion

Classical Mechanic

He's unbelievably lazy. His running stats must be lower than Ronaldo's at this point, and he doesn't even have the excuse of being 37 years old.
Not quite.

His pressing rate is in the average range. He's actually improved massively since last season where he basically did none.

https://fbref.com/en/players/a1d5bd30/scout/11160/Marcus-Rashford-Scouting-Report

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is the worst presser in the league among attackers.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/11160/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

A bad moment from him in that game though.

Greck

Im not ruling out the idea that hes told to wait on the oppositions backline to help a counter. I think this confuses him on when he should sprint back and help the team and when he should stay up
I also theorized something similar earlier but it also doesn't make it better because it's not like he's told to avoid the ball when it enters his zone. That's not even pressing, it's fundamental effort or teams would never win the ball high. With Ronaldo being immobile it makes no sense to give the wide men lesser duties. I dont think Rashford has been told to do so, I think he's the one making the decision to do so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not quite.

His pressing rate is in the average range. He's actually improved massively since last season where he basically did none.

https://fbref.com/en/players/a1d5bd30/scout/11160/Marcus-Rashford-Scouting-Report

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is the worst presser in the league among attackers.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/11160/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

A bad moment from him in that game though.
I’ve noticed him seem to make more of an effort to press under Ralf. Although it’s actually annoying to watch because it highlights how he could have made more of a defensive effort under Ole, yet chose not to, for some strange reason. There’s been a weird culture at this club the last few years where Martial, Rashford and (to a lesser extent) Greenwood have simply not been arsed to help out when we lose the ball without ever getting called out for it, by team mates or managers. Signing a new striker who presses less than anyone in Europe is obviously not ideal in fixing this rotten attitude.

Classical Mechanic

I’ve noticed him seem to make more of an effort to press under Ralf. Although it’s actually annoying to watch because it highlights how he could have made more of a defensive effort under Ole, yet chose not to, for some strange reason. There’s been a weird culture at this club the last few years where Martial, Rashford and (to a lesser extent) Greenwood have simply not been arsed to help out when we lose the ball without ever getting called out for it, by team mates or managers. Signing a new striker who presses less than anyone in Europe is obviously not ideal in fixing this rotten attitude.
It's Ole's fault. They were not coached to play that way.

Signing Ronaldo was a distinct lack of vision which has been typical of the club since SAF retired.

romufc

He really needs to simplify his game. You can tell he is technically poor when he receives the ball on the right and looks awkward. When he is faced 1 v 1 with a LB he has no idea how to play.

Even what he did well before seems to be lacking, the balls over the top and he miscontrolled everything.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's Ole's fault. They were not coached to play that way.

Signing Ronaldo was a distinct lack of vision which has been typical of the club since SAF retired.
Looks that way. And even if the manager wants them to press and they’re not following those insurance that’s still on the manager.

I just find their woeful lack of effort bizarre in the context of Ole’s rhetoric about how he wanted his team to be incredibly fit and never get out-worked.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He has no vision, can't cross, and not a great dribbler. If anything what he's good at and what he usually does is make a run behind defenders, very quick, and always trying to shoot. He's more like a striker, more like Eto'o with poor finishing than someone like Salah or Mane who are wide forward or wingers. He needs to watch more Eto'o clips because he has some of Eto'o assets.

Marwood

His dribbling has got worse because he's completely stopped using his left foot. Same thing happened to Rooney as time went on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think its down to a lack of coaching. Ole has no idea how to train press triggers and Jose wasnt a huge advocate of pressing high. He preferred to keep it compact and narrow in the middle.

Longshanks

This clip, haha. If it was Martial, or Pogba, or just about anyone else, they'd be getting torn to shreds. But because it's Rashford it's all swept under the carpet. "One of our own"; "He loves the club" etc. The excuses made for him are endless. If I were another player in the same team, I'd be pretty pissed off at the special treatment he gets, while everyone else gets it.

I think a lot of people confound criticizing his performances with attacks on him personally and his off-field activities. And they are afraid to do that. That isn't it, though. Ultimately this is a football club and he has settled in to be an average footballer who simply doesn't make the cut and needs to be released.
I don't think either of those players would get criticism in that situation, you cant ask players to press and counter press and then moan at them when they stay high and when the ball by passes them into midifeld, and the moan when they don't sprint 30-40 yards back to close a player down who isn't posing a threat. There is plenty of players back to deal with that situation they just don't deal with it at all.

The issue with that goal were the defensive line was too deep to start with then went even deeper. Pogba and mctom don't do a very good job of shielding the back four, varane gets drawn to the ball losing Adams, Shaw dosent hold the line playing Adams onside and de gea dosent exactly cover himself in glory.

But the biggest problem was the initial position of the defensive line. The forwards are high and holding high press posistions then there's too big a gap for the midfielders to cover because the defenders are too deep. Its been an ongoing issue all season.

Rashford dosent do anything wrong he holds a position to press high gets bypassed because the the defenders aren't in the right place to press high.

In terms of his overall performance he looked a much bigger threat on the right than the left, he was very poor on the left in fact iv felt for a while on the right he's more direct and a bigger threat on the left he tends to run into blind alleys and make poor decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.