Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This reminds me of the Totally Football Weekly podcast where a French football expert opined on Henry's managerial implosion at Monaco.
He'd get angry at players for not doing things that come so easy to him. He has absolutely no empathy or idea on how to adapt to each player's qualities and limitations and help them overcome it.

TsuWave

This reminds me of the Totally Football Weekly podcast where a French football expert opined on Henry's managerial implosion at Monaco.
He'd get angry at players for not doing things that come so easy to him. He has absolutely no empathy or idea on how to adapt to each player's qualities and limitations and help them overcome it.

Foxbatt

aha. thanks for sharing - his greatest strength as a player is his biggest weakness as a coach.
That's the same with all top players as coaches. Van Basten said the same about Johan Cruijff. He said Cruijff expects Van Basten to do things Cruijff did.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Rashford's finishing was never a problem, it was his general play and work rate.

Every player misses chances, it's just that ManUtd for some reason love to micro-analyze and then remember all the missed chances for years. If players don't miss chances then we will see tennis score in every game.
It was never a problem when he's playing as he is now, still creating danger and offering an outlet on and off the ball. But to say Rashford is a good finisher is just false. He's "okay", and my general point here is just that it's not a big deal if he's never better than average in front of goal if he's playing as a LW off of a more clinical striker, because expecting him to all of the sudden gain huge amounts of technique and composure in front of goal at this stage of his career is unrealistic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was never a problem when he's playing as he is now, still creating danger and offering an outlet on and off the ball. But to say Rashford is a good finisher is just false. He's "okay", and my general point here is just that it's not a big deal if he's never better than average in front of goal if he's playing as a LW off of a more clinical striker, because expecting him to all of the sudden gain huge amounts of technique and composure in front of goal at this stage of his career is unrealistic.
Saying Rashford is just a power merchant is just wrong.

Not sure why he should gain huge amounts of technique and composure in front of goal, it's already good enough. It's all about making the runs, getting into good positions and more importantly works his socks off defensively. Last season he didn't do any of that, season before that he didn't work hard for the team.

Strootman's Finger

Saying Rashford is just a power merchant is just wrong.

Not sure why he should gain huge amounts of technique and composure in front of goal, it's already good enough. It's all about making the runs, getting into good positions and more importantly works his socks off defensively. Last season he didn't do any of that, season before that he didn't work hard for the team.
Correct, he's clearly a speed merchant

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's the same with all top players as coaches. Van Basten said the same about Johan Cruijff. He said Cruijff expects Van Basten to do things Cruijff did.
Yeah but with Henry its evident he failed to adapt to the players level in helping them overcome it.

In that video for example, going out and showing how you can do it helps in no way shape or form :lol:

Marwood

Rashford's finishing was never a problem, it was his general play and work rate.

Every player misses chances, it's just that ManUtd for some reason love to micro-analyze and then remember all the missed chances for years. If players don't miss chances then we will see tennis score in every game.
His finishing is a problem as a CF. At CF you need to have all the different types of finishes in your locker.

Marcus really has just the one. That's not to say there's been zero variety but really he has that inside of the foot, coming from the left finish. He's very good at that.

But outside of that, it's a bit of lottery with him.

roonster09

Scout
His finishing is a problem as a CF. At CF you need to have all the different types of finishes in your locker.

Marcus really has just the one. That's not to say there's been zero variety but really he has that inside of the foot, coming from the left finish. He's very good at that.

But outside of that, it's a bit of lottery with him.
What about LW?

Marwood

What about LW?
Less of a problem because typically he'll be coming from the left and the finish he's good at will probably be the most common.

But even then, it'd be a massive help if he could add more finishing variety. More right place right time tap ins, few more headers, a few with his left etc.

He's not creative enough to make up for the lack of variety and consistency in his finishing. Not if we're looking to be one of Europe's top teams again.

roonster09

Scout
Less of a problem because typically he'll be coming from the left and the finish he's good at will probably be the most common.

But even then, it'd be a massive help if he could add more finishing variety. More right place right time tap ins, few more headers, a few with his left etc.

He's not creative enough to make up for the lack of variety and consistency in his finishing. Not if we're looking to be one of Europe's top teams again.
At least improvement on his finishing then, from how it was described in previous page (not by you). From "power merchant" to "good with his finishing from left".

Anyways I don't disagree with your post, IMO Rashford isn't a CF, he is just an emergency player for CF position. His attributes are more suited to LW. He doesn't have ability to hold the ball, link up, play with his back to goal to play as CF.

Vs Spurs was probably his best performance as CF in years.

Marwood

At least improvement on his finishing then, from how it was described in previous page (not by you). From "power merchant" to "good with his finishing from left".

Anyways I don't disagree with your post, IMO Rashford isn't a CF, he is just an emergency player for CF position. His attributes are more suited to LW. He doesn't have ability to hold the ball, link up, play with his back to goal to play as CF.

Vs Spurs was probably his best performance as CF in years.
It's baffling to me how one on one, with time, he's really good. That's often the hardest part of finishing. Same with pens, and he's pretty solid there as well. Taken some huge pressure pens.

The "easier" part of finishing, where it's instinctive, there's no time to overthink, he's hit and miss.

The one with his left against Spurs, you'd think it easier to place than belt. That's how I've always thought with my weak foot.

roonster09

Scout
It's baffling to me how one on one, with time, he's really good. That's often the hardest part of finishing. Same with pens, and he's pretty solid there as well. Taken some huge pressure pens.

The "easier" part of finishing, where it's instinctive, there's no time to overthink, he's hit and miss.

The one with his left against Spurs, you'd think it easier to place than belt. That's how I've always thought with my weak foot.
Yeah, he is reliable one v one and also from the left side where he uses his inside of the foot lot more.

Hopefully he improves on his heading ability, it was good to see him competing for the ball vs Spurs but I'm not how much he can improve. At Rashford's age it's all about minor adjustments and decision making.

Vapor trail

He's got wonderful movement for a forward player just lacks the cutting edge in front of goal. I think if Rashford can replicate his form on the left and a striker comes in January suddenly the attack is very different.

Superunknown

We're asking for trouble if we're putting him in that cf position and expecting the goals to flow. It's not working. New striker, asap. He, Sancho, Antony, Martial and the other youth players can fight it out for the other attacking positions, but a new central striker is an absolute must.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Wasted as a CF, stick on the left because sancho is shit anyways.

Sylar

Looked really good out side taking on men. Long term his position imo (would offer more than Sancho in games like this where we can hit on the counter)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't blame him, he shouldn't be upfront. Martial and Ronaldo have let him down this season for separate reasons. Would people be as harsh on Antony if he was playing upfront?

GMoore23

All this he's better on the left. I remember when he was shit on the left and lots were saying he's a striker.

He's our Walcott.

El Jefe

The cheek of this lad going to EtH saying he wants to be up front. Someone needs to tell him that he's a dreadful striker.

Nowhere near clinical enough and seriously poor with his holdup play. Any game where space in behind is denied he does feck all.

He should be only play on the left. If he doesn't like it he can leave.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
well that didn't happen
To be fair some people did say that. Not many, and they were blatantly wrong, but some did.

Rashford is a left winger/inside forward. He went through a bad period for two seasons but it wasn't because he was playing on the left. He would have been even worse if we were playing him as a striker.

His finishing is off, but his all-round game (as a striker) was still a bit better today than it was early in the season. Especially in the first half. Not that he was good or anything, but at least it wasn't the disgraceful performances that he was giving us earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.