Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorio

Quite clear :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, sure
To be far, @PoTMS is not wrong. He improved markedly after half time.

He wasn't "last season" terrible in the first half mind, he was at least trying hard and making really good runs. Things just weren't coming off - his passes for instance were off, and at some point I was getting concerned that his team mates were getting frustrated with him.
Something else I noticed was at United, he's a star man and arguably has higher status that Shaw, while in England, Shawberto definitely had the final say on things like free kicks in the first half. Felt for him when Shaw ignored his pleas to have a go.

Second half he was having none of that (I think Henderson came and intervened to be honest), and weirdly, everything came together even though he was mostly on the right. He was imperious and gave Wales all sorts of problems

Bert_

Its not that he is playing low percentage balls or taking risks, he was just poor. He was trying silly little touches that either lost the ball or at best stalled the attack because the player had to recover the ball before we could continue. Scoring goals is vital as a striker but there are very few players that aren't complete poachers who are also not reasonably handy in general build up.

His goals were good yesterday but his general play was poor. In the big games you can't have that. You can't have your forwards losing the ball all the time because goals will be at a premium and in those games a forward who keeps the ball could be far more important than one that scores goals. We already know that Rashford likes space to run into and against good teams you might not have that so instead of being vital, he becomes a negative because he isn't effective at scoring and hes turning over possession too often.

Just something he needs to work on because hes a professional footballer and there is no way he can't sort these little issues out. Hes first touch is fine, it just feels like he isn't concentrating on the pass enough sometimes.
His general play wasn't bad at all aside from some poor passing/touches in the first half. In the second he was pretty much involved in everything.

A forwards job is first and foremost to score goals or create goal scoring opportunities. I think those touches that seem silly are part of the game. If you pull it off you've got a chance on goal or to make a killer pass. If not then you're going to have people moaning at you. If that's your game though then you have to accept that only a certain amount of those moves are going to come off.

It's one of my biggest issues with the modern game. People have got so use to things having to be so precise that some players don't attempt to take risks anymore. Play the simple tidy pass and keep up your stats. Take a risk and you are gambling with getting plaudits for a beautiful move or slammed for being sloppy, over confident or called an outright bad footballer.

romufc

His general play wasn't bad at all aside from some poor passing/touches in the first half. In the second he was pretty much involved in everything.

A forwards job is first and foremost to score goals or create goal scoring opportunities. I think those touches that seem silly are part of the game. If you pull it off you've got a chance on goal or to make a killer pass. If not then you're going to have people moaning at you. If that's your game though then you have to accept that only a certain amount of those moves are going to come off.

It's one of my biggest issues with the modern game. People have got so use to things having to be so precise that some players don't attempt to take risks anymore. Play the simple tidy pass and keep up your stats. Take a risk and you are gambling with getting plaudits for a beautiful move or slammed for being sloppy, over confident or called an outright bad footballer.
I agree its an issue. I also do thing its also a United fan issue, I don't see City fans crying over when KDB has 76% pass completion or Foden trying things.

When Bruno and Rashford have off touches its a big thing.

I want Rashford to try things on the pitch, as long as he still produces.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's just not true. He started 20/21 on fire and was very good both scoring and linking up play. There were genuine Ronaldo/Mbappe comparisons brewing. Then he got his back injury and then he never really looked the same since until this season.

Also people are forgetting that he had basically not had any rest since the COVID break. He had no real chance to recover properly from his injuries.

He was great when football started post COVID, had barely any rest in summer because the next season started immediately. Was really good for the start of the 20/21 season... started picking up injuries around December and continued to play through them until he finally broke in January (at that time he was our best attacker and almost at a goal a game). He rushed back towards the end of the season but he just wasn't the same. Lost EL final in a penalty shootout.

After this season he seriously needed to rest and fully recover. But he went to the Euros, basically lost them for England with the missed penalty and was mentally shot.

I wouldn't blame him at this point to have a really bad next season. He'd basically been playing for over a year without any rest and was starting another one immediately while not fully recovered and mentally having lost 2 finals via penalties.

Lo and behold he's shit next year. Other things are going wrong too.. like Ronaldo messing with the team chemistry, Maguire losing all form and confidence, Ole's stubbornness in playing his favorites through injury, etc. The result being he looks the worst he's looked his entire career.

Finally has a full summer break after this season. His FIRST since the first covid lockdowns in early 2020. He finally recovers from his back injury (which are notoriously hard to recover from), while he started the season slow he starts looking like his old self, has some of the burst and confidence back and looks less depressed about football in general.

None of this is very hard to see. But his supposed fans just didn't want to. Because to them players are just robots. He's lazy and shit and needs to be sold. T rashford. And now that he's starting to come back into it they come here still justifying their fair-weather tantrums to continue to hold his worst against him and define him by his worst rather than his best (which has been quite a lot for his age)
You're combining two different seasons into one here. 19/20 and 20/21.

19/20 was his great season. One of the best players in the league for the first half of that season and looked like he was on the verge of stepping up to being a truly world class player. Then the back injury happened in January (a bit before that but he played through it which in hindsight was an absolute disaster of a decision) and he's never been remotely close to that level again. He'll have the odd game here and there, but not in terms of consistency. We then had the football lockdown while he was injured, which is why he actually played again that season as he was fit by the time the lockdown ended in June. The interesting thing when he returned was that, while he wasn't performing to the individual level that he had been previously, he was actually showing a level of vision and passing ability that he'd never really showed before. It actually gave me a lot of hope that he'd spent his time off improving that part of his game, and if he combined that with the individual brilliance that he'd had before we'd be looking at at a truly great player. Unfortunately that didn't happen and we basically ended up with the worst of both worlds instead of the best.

20/21 is, as I said in the other post, the season that he still got a bunch of goals and assists but his overall performance level dropped massively. There were games after games where he'd be absolutely stinking up the place and one of the worst players on the pitch, if not the worst, but he'd be in the right place to bundle one into the back of the net at some point. Him getting those goals meant plenty of people still talked about him as if he was playing great and they couldn't understand why others were criticising him, but it was obvious that it couldn't continue. Either he'd kick back into form, or the goals would dry up. He then went to the Euro's at the end of this season and yes, the end of that may have been a contributing factor to why he declined even further in 21/22 where he was truly atrocious and ultimately got rightfully dropped by Rangnick.

I did note the lack of a proper break which is why I wasn't fully in the 'sell Rashford' camp that some were. I also wanted him to get a chance under a proper manager who would hopefully create a system for our attacking players to work in instead of being expected to do everything individually. However I wouldn't say I was confident and I also would have fully understood if ETH had decided to sell him, as he hasn't just been playing poorly over these last few years but he's also been incredibly lazy as well.

This season he's been very up and down. Same games where he looks no better than he did last season, some where he's looked more like 20/21, and some where he's been playing quite well. Not 19/20 good, but still good. It is worth noting that most of his truly bad performances have come either on the right or the early part of the season when he was playing at striker. His more recent striker performances have been a bit better, and most importantly his performances on the left have been where he's actually had quite a few good performances. It's just unfortunate that due to Martial's injuries and Ronaldo not being good enough to deserve more starts, we haven't been able to just get a run of games on the left. I'm hopeful that once that finally happens we might see a more consistent and quality Rashford, which is why I really do hope we sign a striker in January.

Jev

20/21 is, as I said in the other post, the season that he still got a bunch of goals and assists but his overall performance level dropped massively. Him getting those goals meant plenty of people still talked about him as if he was playing great and they couldn't understand why others were criticising him, but it was obvious that it couldn't continue.
Surely a mitigating factor that he was played through injury and pain with Ole feeling he was too indispensable to give him the break he badly needed.

mctrials23

The issue isn't attempting those, its the context of them. Would you say the same thing about a defender doing that? Of course not because its not in the right area of the pitch. If you pull off a lovely touch it can unlock a defence. If you do a lazy little flick to your guy 5 yards away instead of passing it properly there are no benefits and when it doesn't come off you have just given the ball away pointlessly and not in the pursuit of a high risk high reward move.

I agree its an issue. I also do thing its also a United fan issue, I don't see City fans crying over when KDB has 76% pass completion or Foden trying things.

When Bruno and Rashford have off touches its a big thing.

I want Rashford to try things on the pitch, as long as he still produces.
The difference is when a player does those things with a purpose. I love that Bruno tries things. I would love Rashford to do it as well...at the right times. Hes just too casual and does it at the wrong times and in the wrong places.

romufc

The difference is when a player does those things with a purpose. I love that Bruno tries things. I would love Rashford to do it as well...at the right times. Hes just too casual and does it at the wrong times and in the wrong places.
I am not saying Rashford is amazing, he has alot of holes in his game. I wont get carried away with him again.

Saying that, I have seen a slightly different Rashford this season, he still needs to clean his game up in terms iof holding the ball and retaining the ball.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Many United players having their best World Cup is not a coincidence. Even Bruno was a regular bench Warmer for Portugal before ETH.
I was thinking this last night, there's no coincidence at all buddy, ETH has done an amazing job with all of our team, all players (apart from CR7CB) seem happy and our big players are having a great tournament so far.

GregM40

Not too fussed about England but delighted for Rashford last night.

I think he could evolve to be our future number 9 long term, thought he played it very well against Spurs at home. Needs to improve his hold up play, but I can’t see why he won’t move into that position later in his career.

mctrials23

I am not saying Rashford is amazing, he has alot of holes in his game. I wont get carried away with him again.

Saying that, I have seen a slightly different Rashford this season, he still needs to clean his game up in terms iof holding the ball and retaining the ball.
Yeah, hes good but I think a lot of people overrate him and downplay the big holes in his game because he scores goals.

The contract he is on already is more than enough. When we give him a new contract we should try and make it more incentive based due to his fluctuating form and application.

Bert_

The issue isn't attempting those, its the context of them. Would you say the same thing about a defender doing that? Of course not because its not in the right area of the pitch. If you pull off a lovely touch it can unlock a defence. If you do a lazy little flick to your guy 5 yards away instead of passing it properly there are no benefits and when it doesn't come off you have just given the ball away pointlessly and not in the pursuit of a high risk high reward move.
No I wouldn't. He's a forward though and not a defender so what has that got to do with him?

19/20 was his great season. One of the best players in the league for the first half of that season and looked like he was on the verge of stepping up to being a truly world class player. Then the back injury happened in January (a bit before that but he played through it which in hindsight was an absolute disaster of a decision) and he's never been remotely close to that level again. He'll have the odd game here and there, but not in terms of consistency. We then had the football lockdown while he was injured, which is why he actually played again that season as he was fit by the time the lockdown ended in June. The interesting thing when he returned was that, while he wasn't performing to the individual level that he had been previously, he was actually showing a level of vision and passing ability that he'd never really showed before. It actually gave me a lot of hope that he'd spent his time off improving that part of his game, and if he combined that with the individual brilliance that he'd had before we'd be looking at at a truly great player. Unfortunately that didn't happen and we basically ended up with the worst of both worlds instead of the best.

20/21 is, as I said in the other post, the season that he still got a bunch of goals and assists but his overall performance level dropped massively. There were games after games where he'd be absolutely stinking up the place and one of the worst players on the pitch, if not the worst, but he'd be in the right place to bundle one into the back of the net at some point. Him getting those goals meant plenty of people still talked about him as if he was playing great and they couldn't understand why others were criticising him, but it was obvious that it couldn't continue. Either he'd kick back into form, or the goals would dry up. He then went to the Euro's at the end of this season and yes, the end of that may have been a contributing factor to why he declined even further in 21/22 where he was truly atrocious and ultimately got rightfully dropped by Rangnick.

I did note the lack of a proper break which is why I wasn't fully in the 'sell Rashford' camp that some were. I also wanted him to get a chance under a proper manager who would hopefully create a system for our attacking players to work in instead of being expected to do everything individually. However I wouldn't say I was confident and I also would have fully understood if ETH had decided to sell him, as he hasn't just been playing poorly over these last few years but he's also been incredibly lazy as well.

This season he's been very up and down. Same games where he looks no better than he did last season, some where he's looked more like 20/21, and some where he's been playing quite well. Not 19/20 good, but still good. It is worth noting that most of his truly bad performances have come either on the right or the early part of the season when he was playing at striker. His more recent striker performances have been a bit better, and most importantly his performances on the left have been where he's actually had quite a few good performances. It's just unfortunate that due to Martial's injuries and Ronaldo not being good enough to deserve more starts, we haven't been able to just get a run of games on the left. I'm hopeful that once that finally happens we might see a more consistent and quality Rashford, which is why I really do hope we sign a striker in January.
Incredible post. 19/20 Rashford was sensational. He was one of the best wingers in Europe before January 2020.

IRN-BRUno

It's just good to see him playing with a smile on his face like in the picture at the top of the page. For whatever reason that's been missing for a while and it's clearly affected his performances. He looked and played as though he didn't really want to be on the pitch, now he seems to be enjoying himself again. I don't think he's back yet to the level he was a couple of seasons ago but he's only just turned 25 which is still quite young. His peak should be another 2-3 years away and now he has the right manager here to help him fulfil that potential and become even better.

Apokalips

Agreed. He has been alright this season, but in comparison to last season it makes it seem like he's been great. If you look at him in comparison to top forwards in the league he is not at that level yet this season despite being one of the highest earning, highest valued amongst his peers. We should be expecting more at United and he is capable of more. Hopefully we see him and Martial kick it up a gear after the World Cup break because we need it.

Idxomer

I've come to the conclusion that with club football off fans/posters are just really excited when a player they are a big fan of scores. It happened in Bruno's thread and in here too. If Fred was to get a goal in the next game, people that really like Fred will use his goal as proof of why he's good enough.

Its all just a bit of fun to see players we like outside of United and performing well. Once the PL fixtures resume none of the performances in the world cup will mean a thing, just as they didn't for Pogba when he shone in the World Cup and the Euros.
I'm happy with the way most United players are performing at the World Cup but like you said it means very little to their performances with the club.

Grande

I was thinking this last night, there's no coincidence at all buddy, ETH has done an amazing job with all of our team, all players (apart from CR7CB) seem happy and our big players are having a great tournament so far.
I agree. Looking at England so far, I’ve seen Rashford being better than Foden and Grealish, Maguire have been betterthan Stones, Shaw being better than Walker. Playing in the same positions, against the same opposition. Normally I don’t read much out of tournament form from club players, but I thinknthere is a pattern of United players being in good shape and turned on all over. Bruno and Lisandro of course being one of the best players of their team, Casemiro also doing well.

mctrials23

No I wouldn't. He's a forward though and not a defender so what has that got to do with him?
So as long as you are a forward it doesn't matter where on the pitch you do your silly little flicks and touches? If you bothered reading any more of the post you would have seen that I explained why he was doing it in the wrong places and why it was bad.

Ibi Dreams

Not too fussed about England but delighted for Rashford last night.

I think he could evolve to be our future number 9 long term, thought he played it very well against Spurs at home. Needs to improve his hold up play, but I can’t see why he won’t move into that position later in his career.
He doesn't really seem to have the instincts to play that role well enough imo. He never looks like a proper centre forward when we do it, positional play and hold up play isn't what it needs to be.

He was great yesterday though. Can be such an effective player even if he's not the most technically gifted. The gifts he does have are very dangerous when he's in form

Bert_

So as long as you are a forward it doesn't matter where on the pitch you do your silly little flicks and touches? If you bothered reading any more of the post you would have seen that I explained why he was doing it in the wrong places and why it was bad.
Just re-read it. Still none the wiser. I said his passing and touches shouldn't be expected to be perfect because he's a forward and meant to take risks. You then brought up defenders for some reason.

And of course it matters where on the pitch you attempt to take risks (or silly little flicks and touches if you like). Good job he does it in the final third where its meant to be done.

Frank White

Its not that he is playing low percentage balls or taking risks, he was just poor. He was trying silly little touches that either lost the ball or at best stalled the attack because the player had to recover the ball before we could continue. Scoring goals is vital as a striker but there are very few players that aren't complete poachers who are also not reasonably handy in general build up.

His goals were good yesterday but his general play was poor. In the big games you can't have that. You can't have your forwards losing the ball all the time because goals will be at a premium and in those games a forward who keeps the ball could be far more important than one that scores goals. We already know that Rashford likes space to run into and against good teams you might not have that so instead of being vital, he becomes a negative because he isn't effective at scoring and hes turning over possession too often.
Just something he needs to work on because hes a professional footballer and there is no way he can't sort these little issues out. Hes first touch is fine, it just feels like he isn't concentrating on the pass enough sometimes.
Isn't it the exact opposite though? Correct me if I'm wrong but Rashford typically does well against the big teams because of the space in behind, it's usually the compact teams he struggles with ( tbf are whole team does) If we where playing any of the big 6 tomorrow Rashford, for me one be one of the 1st names on the team sheet.

Do agree with your assessment of his 1st half though his passing was sloppy at best but even then his ability to get in behind still created the only chance of the half that he probably should have put away.

AFC NimbleThumb

It was actually two years.

In 20/21 his performance levels dropped through the floor and he was also being very lazy, but he still managed to score and assist quite a lot to somewhat hide that. It's why a lot of people were already worried about him after that season. It's a good attribute to be able to get goals/assists while playing badly, but there's only so long that it can last. Either he would have to kick back into form or the goals would dry up.

Unfortunately it was the latter as we saw in 21/22. He continued being extremely lazy and playing like shit, and now there weren't any goals to hide that.

This season so far there's been a bit of both. Some games where he's actually played very well, some where he's been shit. It's an improvement over where he has been the last two years but I don't get people talking as if he's back to his best. Fingers crossed that he can get there but he's certainly not there yet.
If this forum needed proof that posters will lie to themselves & others to confirm their biases then this is it.

His performances did not drop ‘through the floor’ in 20/21. You can dress it up how you like, last season was an anomaly for the boy as it was the club.

Biggins

So happy for Rashford. Really proving his value during this WC. Homegrown United player killing it at the WC. You can’t ask for more!

Stadjer

This might be the worst comment I've read on here in years.

I'm upset England won. If England were playing ISIS I'd be on the fence. So I'm not exactly delighted 3 of our players are training in these conditions for longer.

However, the performance by Rashford today was brilliant. These moments of magic, are a huge part of being an elite player. The Xg can feck off. Kid is brilliant. He has bottle.
Okay. Thanks for sharing your feelings on the post and on how you feel about England. Hope it helped.

Like i said before, i didnt watch the game. Only watched the highlights and the second goal looked like he would have been better off passing so i asked for anothers opinion. I thought consistency made a elite player. Someone who consistently does the thing that increases the chance of succes on the pitch.

Cool that you prefer ''bottle'' (whatever that may be) over Xg but i think Xg would say more than bottle.

But its nice to see that Rashford does well. The critism he will sometimes get here during or shortly after games is often way over the top. Even this season i think he is doing fine and a very good player to have in the squad.

Strootman's Finger

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say whilst he’s scored some big goals and improved a lot this season, his all round game still leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. First half yesterday he was extremely poor, and it almost feels like he scores a couple or he’s one of the worst players on the pitch. I still think long term Ten Hag replaces him.
Go back and read yesterdays match day thread, like 90% of the comments were how awful Rashford was. It's great he's scoring goals, but to me how the team plays and scores collectively is more important. The last 5 years of Rooney were extremely frustrating play disguised with a few goals, and I can't handle another 5 years of that. It's not always worth it, goals aren't everything, I would rather we play better football and that amounts to similar goals spread throughout the team, then one guy playing poorly, having that affect the teams overall play, then have that player pop up with one moment of brilliance to paper over the cracks.

Strootman's Finger

This might be the worst comment I've read on here in years.

I'm upset England won. If England were playing ISIS I'd be on the fence. So I'm not exactly delighted 3 of our players are training in these conditions for longer.

However, the performance by Rashford today was brilliant. These moments of magic, are a huge part of being an elite player. The Xg can feck off. Kid is brilliant. He has bottle.
Go back to the matchday thread and read the comments throughout the game, he wasn't brilliant, he just scored two goals.

TheReligion

Abusive
Go back and read yesterdays match day thread, like 90% of the comments were how awful Rashford was. It's great he's scoring goals, but to me how the team plays and scores collectively is more important. The last 5 years of Rooney were extremely frustrating play disguised with a few goals, and I can't handle another 5 years of that. It's not always worth it, goals aren't everything, I would rather we play better football and that amounts to similar goals spread throughout the team, then one guy playing poorly, having that affect the teams overall play, then have that player pop up with one moment of brilliance to paper over the cracks.
The last 5 years of Rooney? You mean when we were winning trophies….?

Don’t get these takes.

Rashford still has work to do but to suggest his general play wasn’t good is very wide of the mark.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
No exaggeration whatsoever to say that last season he looked like a retired player playing in a charity match. And I can't blame anyone on here who thought we should sell him.

Last 3-4 months he's been playing at a very high level and looks very confident.

What do you think the current turnaround is down to?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Okay. Thanks for sharing your feelings on the post and on how you feel about England. Hope it helped.

Like i said before, i didnt watch the game. Only watched the highlights and the second goal looked like he would have been better off passing so i asked for anothers opinion. I thought consistency made a elite player. Someone who consistently does the thing that increases the chance of succes on the pitch.

Cool that you prefer ''bottle'' (whatever that may be) over Xg but i think Xg would say more than bottle.

But its nice to see that Rashford does well. The critism he will sometimes get here during or shortly after games is often way over the top. Even this season i think he is doing fine and a very good player to have in the squad.
In fairness, you want your forwards to be greedy. Passing is for playmakers.

Frank White

Go back to the matchday thread and read the comments throughout the game, he wasn't brilliant, he just scored two goals.
Not being funny but that's hardly the sanest way to gauge opinions. The first half he was below par but still managed to craft a decent chance, 2nd half he pressed well resulting in a goal being scored off the back of it, tracked back in defence well and scored 2 goals. Wasn't perfect but overall did pretty damn good imo.

Polar

Rashford is a good player and often scores spectacular goals, but I doubt he’ll be a much better player then he is today.

For United I prefer a wing with better and more aggressive defensive skills (winning the ball back) and as a striker I prefer a more physical player with better skills inside the box.

United will probably never get a better opportunity to sell Rashford, and I think United should use this opportunity to finance a pure striker.

Shark

@NotShark
Rashford is a good player and often scores spectacular goals, but I doubt he’ll be a much better player then he is today.

For United I prefer a wing with better and more aggressive defensive skills (winning the ball back) and as a striker I prefer a more physical player with better skills inside the box.

United will probably never get a better opportunity to sell Rashford, and I think United should use this opportunity to buy a pure striker.
United don't need to sell Rashford to buy a pure striker, Ronaldo has freed up that obligation.

Frank White

United will probably never get a better opportunity to sell Rashford, and I think United should use this opportunity to finance a pure striker.
Isn't he close to the end of his contract? If he doesn't get a new deal soon he'll more than likely just leave for a free next year or whenever his deals done. Can't see Rashford going anywhere personally ETH seems to rate him, his performances although not perfect seem to be improving and to replace him you'll be looking at a huge outlay.

Sticking point is going to be the wages he's on for most people though. Hopefully he can find some consistency and show why he's worthy of a new contract we are only a couple months into ETH reign in charge so again, hopefully with a proper coach in charge now he can show what he's about.

Threesus

Isn't he close to the end of his contract? If he doesn't get a new deal soon he'll more than likely just leave for a free next year or whenever his deals done. Can't see Rashford going anywhere personally ETH seems to rate him, his performances although not perfect seem to be improving and to replace him you'll be looking at a huge outlay.

Sticking point is going to be the wages he's on for most people though. Hopefully he can find some consistency and show why he's worthy of a new contract we are only a couple months into ETH reign in charge so again, hopefully with a proper coach in charge now he can show what he's about.
If he is renewing, he is definitely asking on par with Jadon at least I think.

Frank White

If he is renewing, he is definitely asking on par with Jadon at least I think.
Hopefully it's closer too Martial's wage rather than Sancho. Read Antony is on the same as Marcus so if he can get back to his best £250k a week seems fair (in relation to are wage structure anyway)

Polar

Isn't he close to the end of his contract? If he doesn't get a new deal soon he'll more than likely just leave for a free next year or whenever his deals done.
United will allegedly trigger a clause to extend Marcus Rashford's deal by one year if they are unable to agree a new contract with him. So United can keep him until June 2024 if they want.

The timing for selling him wouldn't be much better than today. If we give him a new contract, other clubs will likely stay calm until Rashford is in the same situation again (end of contract), and then he has become older and probably not much better; his value will decrease.

Isn’t unrealistic United gets £50m for Rashford if he continues to score goals in WC.

Strootman's Finger

The last 5 years of Rooney? You mean when we were winning trophies….?

Don’t get these takes.

Rashford still has work to do but to suggest his general play wasn’t good is very wide of the mark.
Van Persie masked how poor Rooney played in SAF final, but obviously he continued to decline and was worse in 16/17 then he was in 12/13, but it was the same criticisms for me. If you don't understand the criticism of Rooney in his final years just go back and watch.... literally any game. It wasn't that he made a mistake here or there, it was his general overall play. He became cowardly, anytime we broke on the attack, whenever the ball was passed to Rooney, he would stop, turn around, pass the ball back, and the opposition would regroup, attacking move over. And he lost his pace, his first touch was never the best, but he had the pace to recover, in those years he couldn't, his first touch was exposed for how bad it was, and he lost possession a lot. Again, pick any random game from that time frame and watch 20 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.