Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Van Persie masked how poor Rooney played in SAF final, but obviously he continued to decline and was worse in 16/17 then he was in 12/13, but it was the same criticisms for me. If you don't understand the criticism of Rooney in his final years just go back and watch.... literally any game. It wasn't that he made a mistake here or there, it was his general overall play. He became cowardly, anytime we broke on the attack, whenever the ball was passed to Rooney, he would stop, turn around, pass the ball back, and the opposition would regroup, attacking move over. And he lost his pace, his first touch was never the best, but he had the pace to recover, in those years he couldn't, his first touch was exposed for how bad it was, and he lost possession a lot. Again, pick any random game from that time frame and watch 20 mins.
I’m sorry but he’s never had a first touch?

Not being rude but I really don’t think you watched his career

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If this forum needed proof that posters will lie to themselves & others to confirm their biases then this is it.

His performances did not drop ‘through the floor’ in 20/21. You can dress it up how you like, last season was an anomaly for the boy as it was the club.
Then why were half the people on this forum already heavily criticising him in 20/21? We didn't pull his bad performances out of nothing. Indeed I just went back to his Performance thread for that season and just grabbed 10 games at random, and in 9 of them the general comments were that he was poor and lazy. Only one was that he actually played well.

Like I said, some people (and presumably you were one of them) allowed the goals and assists to blind them. "He's getting goals, so he must be playing well!" He wasn't truly atrocious like he was last season, but 20/21 can't be described any other way other than that he was playing poorly but managed to get the goals/assists. The worries that I and many others had that season all came to fruition last season, as all the signs were already there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Then why were half the people on this forum already heavily criticising him in 20/21? We didn't pull his bad performances out of nothing. Indeed I just went back to his Performance thread for that season and just grabbed 10 games at random, and in 9 of them the general comments were that he was poor and lazy. Only one was that he actually played well.

Like I said, some people (and presumably you were one of them) allowed the goals and assists to blind them. "He's getting goals, so he must be playing well!" He wasn't truly atrocious like he was last season, but 20/21 can't be described any other way other than that he was playing poorly but managed to get the goals/assists. The worries that I and many others had that season all came to fruition last season, as all the signs were already there.
His work rate.

Rashford was shit during a season every single player was shit

People talk like he was the odd one out.

If he was world class last season under Ole then he would be amongst the top 10 of the world.

AFC NimbleThumb

You can dress it up how you like, last season was an anomaly for the boy as it was the club.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rashford is a good player and often scores spectacular goals, but I doubt he’ll be a much better player then he is today.

For United I prefer a wing with better and more aggressive defensive skills (winning the ball back) and as a striker I prefer a more physical player with better skills inside the box.

United will probably never get a better opportunity to sell Rashford, and I think United should use this opportunity to finance a pure striker.
Do we need a defensive winger then? Who are we Stoke? We need creativity and pace on the wings and that's what an in-form Rashford offers when he is also fit 100%.
Rashford is not a very good striker because his physicality, positioning inside the box and especially finishing consistency but not because he lacks skills.
If we sell Rashford now I doubt we can get a better winger than him.

Womp

idiot
Are players not allowed to have periods in their career where they are shite or don't look interested? I get they earn a ridiculous amount of money, but they are still human beings, life happens. I'm assuming all the ones complaining are always giving 150% of their effort at their place of profession.

Simply put, when Rashford is on it, he's amongst the best in the World in his position. Might not technically be at the level of players like Neymar etc. but he doesn't have to be because he's learnt how to get the ball in the net when he's playing well, which is the most important skill in football for a forward.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His work rate.

Rashford was shit during a season every single player was shit

People talk like he was the odd one out.

If he was world class last season under Ole then he would be amongst the top 10 of the world.
His work rate has been poor since 19/20. He got away with it that season because his form was otherwise so good. Basically in the same way that Ronaldo and Messi get away with (or used to) doing feck-all to help out their team-mates. But to get away with it you have to be providing a huge benefit in an attacking sense, and with the way the game is going with pressing from the front and trying to force quick turn-overs it's actually getting more and more difficult to warrant a player who doesn't help out.

20/21 it got worse, and he started getting called for it because his form was fairly poor.

21/22 it got worse again, and of course his form got even worse to a truly atrocious level. To the point that he was rightfully dropped from the starting line-up. Out of an entire team of badly performing lazy players, he actually stood out as one of the worst.

If it was just one season I'd have more hope that it was just a one-off. Obviously I'm still hopeful and I recognise that he's actually had a number of good games when he's been played on the left this season, but that doesn't mean I just wipe his poor form from my memory. He's going to have to be consistently good for a decent period of time before I'm confident in him. I feel exactly the same way about Martial by the way. He's clearly our best striker this season (as Rashford has been clearly our best left winger) and I rate them both extremely highly when they are playing well, but both of them have been out of form/injured for long enough that they have huge question marks over them. While I'm hopeful for both of them, I simply don't see the sense in pretending those question marks aren't there.

Swiss_Red89

United will allegedly trigger a clause to extend Marcus Rashford's deal by one year if they are unable to agree a new contract with him. So United can keep him until June 2024 if they want.

The timing for selling him wouldn't be much better than today. If we give him a new contract, other clubs will likely stay calm until Rashford is in the same situation again (end of contract), and then he has become older and probably not much better; his value will decrease.

Isn’t unrealistic United gets £50m for Rashford if he continues to score goals in WC.
A lot of pure guessing in your post. Who knows if he will even be better in 3-4 years?

United will not sell him anyway though.
I accept everyone's opinion, but will never be able to understand why a United fan wants to have Marcus Rashford sold, especially in a period where he is lightening up the fecking World Cup for England.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Do we need a defensive winger then? Who are we Stoke? We need creativity and pace on the wings and that's what an in-form Rashford offers when he is also fit 100%.
Rashford is not a very good striker because his physicality, positioning inside the box and especially finishing consistency but not because he lacks skills.
If we sell Rashford now I doubt we can get a better winger than him.
Rashford's an inside forward more than a winger.

sglowrider

I accept everyone's opinion, but will never be able to understand why a United fan wants to have Marcus Rashford sold, especially in a period where he is lightening up the fecking World Cup for England.
Most Caftards just look at today's performance rather than its context and over a period of time. Bruno is playing well again and yet, like Rashford, there were many revisionists here that claimed he was never ever good for United. 'Overrated'.
There are so many fans of other top clubs that would love to have Rashford and Bruno and yet they are consistently undervalued here.

Its like the anti-RAWK sentiment or trying so hard to not be like the RAWK at their peak.

jem

Most Caftards just look at today's performance rather than its context and over a period of time. Bruno is playing well again and yet, like Rashford, there were many revisionists here that claimed he was never ever good for United. 'Overrated'.
There are so many fans of other top clubs that would love to have Rashford and Bruno and yet they are consistently undervalued here.

Its like the anti-RAWK sentiment or trying so hard to not be like the RAWK at their peak.
I certainly won't claim he's never been good - that period in late 2019, prior to his shoulder injury, he was very good and looked to be on an upward trajectory. I don't think he's really come close to hitting those heights since, at least not on any kind of consistent basis.

sglowrider

I certainly won't claim he's never been good - that period in late 2019, prior to his shoulder injury, he was very good and looked to be on an upward trajectory. I don't think he's really come close to hitting those heights since, at least not on any kind of consistent basis.
The period where he had to play through injury certainly wrecked his confidence. So he has to re-build.
No one's career is a straight line trajectory.

He's only 25 and is about to hit his prime years.

So lets see.

jem

The period where he had to play through injury certainly wrecked his confidence. So he has to re-build.
No one's career is a straight line trajectory.

He's only 25 and is about to hit his prime years.

So lets see.
For sure he still has time on his side but all this talk from Rio Ferdinand saying he should 100k (or whatever number he said) more than the team’s highest earner is pure madness.

Boondog

I think Rash needs to be smart in this situation. He should know by now how important the manager is, and this one is definitely good for him. So sign a reasonable deal, the kind that won't put undue pressure on him but that still pays him well, and keep working under EtH to develop the remainder of his game. That's what I'd do at least.

If he pushes for too much then the club will extend him and move on. Hope things don't go that route. It would be a shame, as I'd love nothing more than to see him play another 7 or 8 years and finish as an all-time club great.

Doracle

I think Rash needs to be smart in this situation. He should know by now how important the manager is, and this one is definitely good for him. So sign a reasonable deal, the kind that won't put undue pressure on him but that still pays him well, and keep working under EtH to develop the remainder of his game. That's what I'd do at least.

If he pushes for too much then the club will extend him and move on. Hope things don't go that route. It would be a shame, as I'd love nothing more than to see him play another 7 or 8 years and finish as an all-time club great.
What’s reasonable in your view? I think he would be fine with £300k, putting him on a par with players like Sterling and Sane? The club should pay him that easily enough I’d have thought.

Boondog

What’s reasonable in your view? I think he would be fine with £300k, putting him on a par with players like Sterling and Sane? The club should pay him that easily enough I’d have thought.
Yeah just think if he pushes for the highest pay possible and gets it he may end up feeling pressured by it. Now that he looks to finally be rounding into form it would be a shame to see that happen. So what you suggest seems fine to me though I am not knowledgeable about the pay scale by any means.

Sylar

Wasn't able to watch the game. Did he do anything of note in his cameo?
Nice first time cross to Kane which Kane almost got on the end of

Game was pretty much dead when he came on so him and grealish didn't have much to do
Shame he got two goals and couldn't follow it up with another start but also can't fault Southgate as his choices worked.

Chief123

Wasn't able to watch the game. Did he do anything of note in his cameo?
Biggest thing of note like his recent performances is he looks really hungry and enjoying his football again. Looks a threat and close to his best every time he plays now. Fair play to him. Long May it continue.

Grande

Nice first time cross to Kane which Kane almost got on the end of

Game was pretty much dead when he came on so him and grealish didn't have much to do
Shame he got two goals and couldn't follow it up with another start but also can't fault Southgate as his choices worked.
Annoying.Scaloni and Southgate don’t play Lisandro and Marcus. Idiots. Then they play them, and they excell. Brilliant, now you’re getting it! They bench them again. Jaayyzuss! Argentina and England win comfortably. Really annoying!

Marcus

Annoying.Scaloni and Southgate don’t play Lisandro and Marcus. Idiots. Then they play them, and they excell. Brilliant, now you’re getting it! They bench them again. Jaayyzuss! Argentina and England win comfortably. Really annoying!
Haha I have the opposite view. Let them have success and enjoy the experience of going deep in the competition. But coming back relatively fresh and well rested for United is my priority.

RedStarUnited

300k for a guy who has won nothing is criminal. Sterlind earned the right to ask for that much with his title wins. Marcus cant say the same.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I swear, i have never seen a player like Rashford. Only player ever for whom i change opinion on daily basis. One day (one game) i love him and i think that he is one of the best in PL. Other day (other game) i think that he is squad player.
But either way, i don't think that he is a bad player and he for sure has quality for Man Utd.

Swiss_Red89

was introduced too late...am i the only one thinking that way?
Scored two vs Wales and got 30min since

Red00012

Brought on Sterling before him was mind boggling considering the last 2 weeks for both players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Crazy to bring Sterling on before him. But he had a very good tournament despite not playing much and his free kick despite not going in was still a good attempt so he'll be fresh and should be mentally ok coming back without any dwelling regrets?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Had a good tournament despite not playing many minutes and comes back fresh, best possible scenario for us really.

Oranges038

Should have been on earlier to run at Kounde. France couldn't handle players running at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.