Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lastwolf

Excellent news. 85% of people who voted on here wanted him gone? Seriously?
I just looked it up I voted in the 85%, in fairness the thread stared in May last year, when he was in the middle of his worst season, I think anyone claiming they knew that dramatic of a turnaround was on the cards, is lying.

My rationale is that we've been terrible with transfers and contracts for a long time and need to make some tough decision and pre-emptive moves. So, it was new contract, on similar or reduced terms last summer or sell while he still has some value, even then I wasn't super confident he wasn't wrecked by all the playing through injuries. Ironically that might have saved us some money as he went on to have a great one, happy to be wrong.

Obviously, I changed my mind to keep at all costs a while ago but never bothered to change my vote.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I just looked it up I voted in the 85%, in fairness the thread stared in May last year, when he was in the middle of his worst season, I think anyone claiming they knew that dramatic of a turnaround was on the cards, is lying.

My rationale is that we've been terrible with transfers and contracts for a long time and need to make some tough decision and pre-emptive moves. So, it was new contract, on similar or reduced terms last summer or sell while he still has some value, even then I wasn't super confident he wasn't wrecked by all the playing through injuries. Ironically that might have saved us some money as he went on to have a great one, happy to be wrong.

Obviously, I changed my mind to keep at all costs a while ago but never bothered to change my vote.
Truth is I didn't see him turning it round, but fair play to him he prove most of us wrong that would be down to better coaching and putting in the right attitude by applying the right applications into what the team and manager demands of him.

But let's be clear last season is gone he has to prove it all over again, he's just signed this fat contract with us and the expectations for him with this team is much much higher and he has to deliver again, I hope he puts up better numbers this season and for the remainder of his time with us.

Demon Barber

I appreciate your honesty @Lastwolf. Rashford was having a poor time of it, I agree. I just felt that at the time he was playing whilst injured, having had two serious injuries. There were apparently off-field distractions too. To my mind none of these factors would justify him being sold - hence my surprise at the 85% poll. It just seems a huge overreaction to one of our most naturally gifted players.

Strelok

our most naturally gifted players.
I'm a huge fan but he's not imo. Not the now and not even when he was a kid. Martial was considered more gifted than him for example. But the thing about Rashford is he's pretty right in his head from a very young age. I also said that here back then if my memory serves me right. That was the main reason I strongly believed he'd make it here.

doomy20

So it's only 325K if he's pulling up trees on the pitch and performing, at which point he'd be well worth it.

Base is probably 250/275K
Can someone hate-free quickly explain this wage structure thing. When it was introduced it said 200k/week is the upper limit? And that they even changed current contracts to match that?

In this example it say’s 325 in case of applied bonuses etc but still a base fee of 250+? Also I read in another thread that Sancho is far above 250k?

Thanks for a quick explanation! Fed up of friends mocking me that Uniteds salary cap is a myth.

KD6-3.7

This is going to haunt us for years. But the damage has already been done.

I fear it's going to be another Rooney situation where no matter how poorly he plays he simply won't get dropped. Difference is Rooney was physically declining when he got his contract which made easing him out easier, won't be the case for Rashford.

Tyrion

I think he's overpaid but he's nowhere near our biggest problem. I don't get why he gets so much hate.

RedDevil@84

I think he's overpaid but he's nowhere near our biggest problem. I don't get why he gets so much hate.
- He is our poster boy, our PR machine.
- He is a highly paid player, hence the expectation from him is far beyond many of the team mates.
- He is an attacker and as a team that struggles to score goals, all his shortcomings are pretty much on display. Everyone is focused on our exploits in the final third. Everybody in the front has a spotlight on them.

Kinky Melinky

It's likely down to his decision making in front of goal. There are so many examples where Rashford could have made a pass that could have led to a goal scoring opportunity, but he opted to go himself. I realise that's just the type of player he is, but it's obviously going to piss off fans.

Tyrion

It's likely down to his decision making in front of goal. There are so many examples where Rashford could have made a pass that could have led to a goal scoring opportunity, but he opted to go himself. I realise that's just the type of player he is, but it's obviously going to piss off fans.
True. In Oles last year, he genuinely didn't seem to understand the offside rule. His decision making is often poor. He's good when he can cut in and score but struggles with much else it seems.

Pscholes18

Constantly takes on multiple players in turn constantly loses the ball. Rarely tracks back, rarely presses, rarely makes any serious effort to battle with a header, gets way too much hype, not that fast......however he deserves time to work with Hoi......and yes unfortunate that he can't/won't get dropped when skipping around just collecting a check.

SirMattBugsby

He doesn't have the mentality to be a world-class player like Salah- whose bare minimum workrate is more than Rashford's good days- yet he acts like one and is treated like one. Represents everything that is wrong with the club. Bruno works his socks off playing in different positions and then sees Rashford the passenger plodding for 90 minutes as well. What message does that send?

I can understand forwards going through patches, but don't make him undroppable. In terms of mentality, he's the furthest thing from that.

hobbers

Gets a big shiny new contract and completely reverts to type. Who could have predicted that huh

SirMattBugsby

Gets a big shiny new contract and completely reverts to type. Who could have predicted that huh
Absolutely. The manager needs to take charge in this situation and start dropping him. At this point, I wouldn't mind Garnacho and Pellistri on the wing, just to get the bare minimum required of a professional player.

SmallCaine

I feel he definitely is out biggest problem, especially in our attack. His complete lack of effort in front press means the whole win the ball back in opponents final 3rd tactic is far less effective, which I feel we could live with but he isn't anywhere near good enough or clinical enough to ignore his laziness. He is basically 2008 Ronaldo level lack of effort on defense but with 2019 Ronaldo level talent.

van Nistelrooy

Crashed his Rolls Royce after the Burnley game last night. Took out a lamppost and bollard.

I thought it was just his shooting that got blocked.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's taken 6/7 games of this season for the knives to be out for Rashford again, that's despite him being one of our most dangerous players going forward so far this season.

RedChrome

The way some posters denigrate Rashford is sickening. The moderators need to do a better job on this forum.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It's taken 6/7 games of this season for the knives to be out for Rashford again, that's despite him being one of our most dangerous players going forward so far this season.
Just plenty of receipts for when we look back on the whole season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This place has always had a habit of picking on our best players. Ronaldo had a spell of it, Rooney got it for years. Bruno gets it now.

Although I do think Rashford brings some of the criticism on himself when he starts walking about or waves his arms around in frustration at his team mates. He was at the latter again yesterday. I think at least pick one or the other. If you're going to wave your arms around like it's everyone else's fault then at least back it up by working harder than anyone else.

JeffFromHK

It is disappointing to see that him and McTominay, two "boyhood United fans" "born and bred" in our club, are two of the players with worst mentality in our team

Giggsy13

We need Rashford to get out of this petulant little shite stage and get back to playing with maturity and composure, which he did for a large part last season.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Rashford is world class but he needs a fully functioning team to play with the same cleverness and confidence. He also needs to not be tired and that pre-season tour was a disaster. You'll see him flying at Christmas I hope.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Rashford is world class but he needs a fully functioning team to play with the same cleverness and confidence. He also needs to not be tired and that pre-season tour was a disaster. You'll see him flying at Christmas I hope.
He’s in no way world class. Has the attributes to be but not where it matters most.

sugar_kane

He’s dealt with the Ronaldo situation , the Maguire captaincy, Sancho’s petulance and replacing De Gea, all with relative ease.

I honestly think how to deal with the golden boy if his performances don’t pick up might be Ten Hag’s trickiest challenge yet.

We’ll see if the club stick true to their backing the manager policy as they have done thus far, should the situation arise.

Hopefully at some point he’s going to pull himself together and start playing like he deserves his wage and a guaranteed starting point but if Ten Hag’s tenure has taught us anything so far it’s that his patience has a limit, and he doesn’t give a shit who you are.

sirAlexsglasses

He is not the player that he seems to think he is, or the player that the British press hype him up to be. He has patches where he plays well with most of his performances being bang average. He barely presses from the front and his attitude when out of Possesion is poor , also sick and tired of watching him constantly run the ball down blind alleys when there are other options. Yet again we have been rinsed on another of his contracts, had he pushed for PSG if we were not going to pay the ridiculous salary he wanted we should have rinsed them for a ridiculous fee and reinvest.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
On which planet?
He’s in no way world class. Has the attributes to be but not where it matters most.
He showed it last season. But in a misfiring team and out of condition he loses it. We know all about this. Nobody is playing well right now and nobody will until everybody does. That's the nature of ETH's setup.

The 85% who thought we should sell him were as embarrassing then as they are now.

TheGame

He is not the player that he seems to think he is, or the player that the British press hype him up to be. He has patches where he plays well with most of his performances being bang average. He barely presses from the front and his attitude when out of Possesion is poor , also sick and tired of watching him constantly run the ball down blind alleys when there are other options. Yet again we have been rinsed on another of his contracts, had he pushed for PSG if we were not going to pay the ridiculous salary he wanted we should have rinsed them for a ridiculous fee and reinvest.
:lol: - The British fecking press is always on his back since he spoke up to feed hungry children. He had one of his best seasons last season. Still early in the season but the Caf always targeting the usual players.

Status
Not open for further replies.