Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

My problem isn't his work rate, it's not great but not the worst. It's his commitment into a challenge. He almost always pulls out or shys away from any physical tussle. Optically it looks like hes not bothered which dosent look good for him. He must feel like he's made of paper or something?

My problem isn't his work rate, it's not great but not the worst. It's his commitment into a challenge. He almost always pulls out or shys away from any physical tussle. Optically it looks like hes not bothered which dosent look good for him. He must feel like he's made of paper or something?
Possibly there is a mental challenge for him.

I see no way Ineos sell Rashford right now. I totally agree he has been beyond frustrating but I doubt they would ever sell him 'low' and probably hope he can another face of the team again after some time off. He typifies our awful campaign.

The issue with selling him is this our front line:

Garnacho 19 Højlund 21 Rashford 26

Antony 24 Nobody Amad 21

It needs some PL or top flight experience.

This I agree with. He doesn't challenge often. He'll get himself in the correct positions enough of the time but he's just shielding, not tackling. So it looks off to people and like he's not actually working when he wouldn't be in the position otherwise.

This I agree with. He doesn't challenge often. He'll get himself in the correct positions enough of the time but he's just shielding, not tackling. So it looks off to people and like he's not actually working when he wouldn't be in the position otherwise.

Funnily enough, during Mourinho's times Martial had more tackles in our own half than Rashford and people thought that Martial was the lazy one that didn't track back.

I worry that it’s his back issues and that he’ll never be able to compete properly like this.

So hes going to ruin whats left of his career, in case he ruins his career. I realize hes basically not much without pace, but that is crazy.
He's hardly ruined his career by choosing to no longer press off the ball. Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd take him right now and the majority would say yes.

He's hardly ruined his career by choosing to no longer press off the ball. Ask Arsenal fans whether they'd take him right now and the majority would say yes.
I don't have the power to ask Arsenal fans, but basically Rashford has 1 more chance to prove himself or he's going to drop very quickly.

That one's fine up until the 8 second mark where he admittedly could've done a bit more. Still, it's getting blown out of proportion.

What is there to explain? Yeah, there are some clips in there where he should've done more, but like I said, it's 99% likely that he's being told to conserve energy. And some of these clips are incredibly stupid anyways, especially the ones where he's left 1v1 against a Newcastle player on the wing and if he gets beaten after putting his leg in for a tackle, we get opened up. "Not defending close enough" :lol: The person who put that video together has 0 clue about maintaining shape and what Rashford was supposed to do in most of those situations. Basically from 0:42 until like 1:15 it's complete bullshit and Rashford doesn't do anything wrong in those 30 seconds.
So you cant explain that this is tactics (which was expected).

You choose to ignore several things.

No manager has ever called him out for laziness unless I forgot about something. No manager has benched him for similar reasons either. You really think Rashford has played under 5 different managers now and all of them subordinated themselves for him whilst he was ignoring their instructions? This idea gets even less realistic when you remember ETH has benched Rashford himself for being a few minutes late to a team meeting.

It's also very often a tactical instruction for your best and furthest upward player to conserve energy and don't drop deep, as funny as you might find this. When you win the ball back and can launch a quick transition or counter attack, do you want Rashford to be next his fullback, helping him near his own box, or do you want him near the halfway line to receive a ball from Bruno?
you what, where were you when Rangnick dropped him for Elanga?

I don't have the power to ask Arsenal fans, but basically Rashford has 1 more chance to prove himself or he's going to drop very quickly.
Wouldn't surprise me if he followed his latest pattern of having a good goalscoring season next season, followed by a poor season the year after that. That frustrating inconsistency will probably be enough to keep him around at a top club for another few years. I can't see a world where he ends up at an Everton in a couple of years.

Wouldn't surprise me if he followed his latest pattern of having a good goalscoring season next season, followed by a poor season the year after that. That frustrating inconsistency will probably be enough to keep him around at a top club for another few years. I can't see a world where he ends up at an Everton in a couple of years.
I honestly think he could find himself at a team like Everton (also the team I had in mind when I was thinking about this).

Let’s say you sell him you then have no forward in our front line that has ever scored 20+ in all comps.

Amusing to see people defend his (complete lack of) workrate.
Still wonder what happened to him. I know covid etc did s number on people's psyches and he was arguably never the hardest worker except for maybe one season - but just in general every time you see him play it just feels like there is no enjoyment there.

Still wonder what happened to him. I know covid etc did s number on people's psyches and he was arguably never the hardest worker except for maybe one season - but just in general every time you see him play it just feels like there is no enjoyment there.

He went from being the national sweetheart, the modern day Vera Lynn, lavished with praise, accolades and invites to wine and dine with societies elite - to having his commitment to his day job questioned. Never thought there was anything more to his demeanour change than being a bit precious and sulky about that.

I mean isn't it obvious to everyone? His head got too big. Tackling is something mere peasants do.

Let’s say you sell him you then have no forward in our front line that has ever scored 20+ in all comps.

So?

It's no guarantee that he'll ever do it again is it?

Nor that anyone we have already (Hojlund particularly) or anyone we could buy might get 20+ in the coming seasons.

Can't say about all the reasons but one of the biggest is ole stupidly overplaying him while carrying a back injury. That's when he really got into the habit of low workrate. It's been the same since.

If United are serious about challenging for honours they need to offload him asap. Thing is, who'd want him?

So?

It's no guarantee that he'll ever do it again is it?

Nor that anyone we have already (Hojlund particularly) or anyone we could buy might get 20+ in the coming seasons.
I’m not saying it is a guarantee but I’m also confident saying Amad, Garnacho and Højlund won’t have anywhere near enough. (And I like all 3)
We’ve done this many times. Ronaldo 2.0 Cavani Zlatan Lukaku Di Maria Sancho (G+A over 20) and so on. It means nothing if the heart isn’t in it or the legs are gone
I don’t think the issue is heart or legs.

I’m not saying it is a guarantee but I’m also confident saying Amad, Garnacho and Højlund won’t have anywhere near enough. (And I like all 3)

I don’t think the issue is heart or legs.

If you can't see that his heart isn't in it that's on you.

And just because Amad, Garnacho and Højlund might not score near enough isn't a reason to keep another player who also won't do the same.

Now that you mention it I really can’t remember him actually challenging for the ball. I remember lots of examples of doing the actual closing down, but not a real expectation or appetite to win the ball.

If he does not motivated in the pre-season, after not being picked for England, I would sell him this summer. Its a make or break season for Marcus. I know his contract is till 2028, but another bad season will permanently damage his reputation.

If you can't see that his heart isn't in it that's on you.

And just because Amad, Garnacho and Højlund might not score near enough isn't a reason to keep another player who also won't do the same.
I think Marcus Rashford has serious mental issues that are affecting his ability to perform.

I think that the abuse he’s suffered particularly at the Euros has stuck with him and I also think the stress fractures he’s suffered have reduced his confidence to duel with players aerially.

I don’t believe for one second that Rashford doesn’t care about the performances or the team and that his heart isn’t in it, I think that’s ridiculous. Was his heart in it last season when he was banging in the goals?

I think Marcus Rashford has serious mental issues that are affecting his ability to perform.

I think that the abuse he’s suffered particularly at the Euros has stuck with him and I also think the stress fractures he’s suffered have reduced his confidence to duel with players aerially.

I don’t believe for one second that Rashford doesn’t care about the performances or the team and that his heart isn’t in it, I think that’s ridiculous. Was his heart in it last season when he was banging in the goals?
What happened during last summer that he started having mental issues? He had his best season and then probably his worst.

I have seen plenty of excuses made for Rashford, but this one is quite creative to say the least.

I'd say he's virtually impossible to sell this summer after such a dire season.

Next summer, with any upturn in form and a year less on his contract, we may attract some interest. However, if his performances improved even slightly, we'd be stupid enough to keep him thinking he's on the right track.

We've made Rashford like a squatter who will be near impossible to get rid of until that ridiculous contract expires.

What happened during last summer that he started having mental issues? He had his best season and then probably his worst.
I have no idea do you?

But I’d argue that a small % of his underperforming is down to mental health, Luke Shaws absence and adapting to playing with Højlund.

I have seen plenty of excuses made for Rashford, but this one is quite creative to say the least.
Not sure if you know anyone who’s had a cracked spine, it kind of knocks your confidence putting loads onto your back which jumping does regardless of whether someone else is then jumping on or with you.

I mean he did break his back and was still playing under Ole until his body gave up, that's why I don't buy this he doesn't try because that doesn't tally with playing with that injury in fact it suggests the exact opposite

Last edited:
I have no idea do you?

But I’d argue that a small % of his underperforming is down to mental health, Luke Shaws absence and adapting to playing with Højlund.

Not sure if you know anyone who’s had a cracked spine, it kind of knocks your confidence putting loads onto your back which jumping does regardless of whether someone else is then jumping on or with you.
I mean he did break his back and was still playing under Ole until his body gave up, that's why I don't buy this he doesn't I try because that doesn't tally with playing with that injury in fact it suggests the exact opposite

His lack of effort off the ball was pretty evident even under Mourinho, and the manager even said this back then, yes this was aimed at the whole team but Rashford was certainly part of this issue.

“It doesn’t matter about the system. It has to do with the characteristics of the players and we don’t have many, with all the respect, mad dogs – the ones who bite the ball all the time and press all the time. We don’t have many with that spirit,” Mourinho said.

Put his performance this season, his wages, and his transfer fee aside, Arsenal is well stocked in the left wing with Trossard and Martinelli. They contributed 25 goals and 7 assist together. Arsenal doesn't need another left winger, we need to add a right winger to rotate and challenge Saka.

Social media? After his campaign to feed kids, it seems like things have changed? Did he get abuse from opposistiin fans? Is he losing focus away from football?

Just heard Mike Phelen on Talksport saying that Rashford hasn't the appetite to improve his game, relying solely on his strengths and lacking resilience. Quite hard to listen to when talking about someone who is paid so much. Sure, his wage isn't his fault but for a former first team assistant to say such things is hard to take.

Social media? After his campaign to feed kids, it seems like things have changed? Did he get abuse from opposistiin fans? Is he losing focus away from football?

Just heard Mike Phelen on Talksport saying that Rashford hasn't the appetite to improve his game, relying solely on his strengths and lacking resilience. Quite hard to listen to when talking about someone who is paid so much. Sure, his wage isn't his fault but for a former first team assistant to say such things is hard to take.

As far as I can see these days there is little to zero upside for any footballer currently to even be on social media. It's a cess pit and probably 99.9% of players would be far better off coming off it altogether.

If it does Rashford good to come off it then I'm all for it. Just can't see that there is any benefit for any elite sportsperson to be on there.

The elephant in the room is that he's clearly not been able to develop his game. He's the same player he was 5 years ago. Same strengths, same weaknesses. Nothing has developed. He's neither got noticeably better at attributes he appeared to have a natural gift for when he first broke into it team, nor has he developed in any significant way any other element of his game.

He's the same player.