Marcus Rashford vs Anthony Martial (2017 / 2018 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1

Shock the British pundits favouring the English lad over the French one. Pundits chat utter shite most of the time, best ignored to form your own opinion.

I've been to old Trafford plenty of times over the last couple seasons and Martial definitely generates a buzz when he gets the ball. I'm not saying that rashford doesn't get people off their seats but Martial just carries so much more threat for me.

I'm also baffled at the idea that Robben doesn't have close control and dribbling, he's one of the elites in that regard. In fact I would say that Martial reminds me a lot of Robben with their positions (and feet) inverted. Both look to dribble inside and get off shots. Rashford is just a much weaker player at this point in all honestly.

Oh yeah sure, 2 Manchester United legends saying the same thing as me are only saying that because Rashford is “an English lad” :rolleyes:

What about Martial summing his own performances up?

What about Deschamps not selecting him for France in over a year? That because of Deschamps love for the English lad?

How about Jose Mourinho (Portuguese manager) starting Rashford 8 times out 10 over Martial this season, that because of his fondness for the English lad?

How about Rashford being named in the top5 most valuable young players recently and ahead of Martial:-

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2017/206/en/

All this because Rashford is an English lad?

How’s about people stop talking rubbish/stop seeing things with blinkers on and consider the fact Martial might be slightly overrated on the Red Cafe?

Also ask yourself this, between he and Rashford who as more of a chance being sold this summer? If you answer truthfully you know the answer to that, so what does that say?

Ok Martial started the last 2 or 3 games and played ok (not fantastic) let’s see if can keep it up and improve or if he will go back into ‘not arsed’ mode again like he as for almost 2 years.

I hope he does go on from here and fulfill his potential, i will be as pleased as anybody if that happens, but judging from most of his performances in the last 18 months I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When Rashford is on the ball he gets the crowd going, when Martial gets the ball it's not usually that same positive feeling, so Rashford for me.

With Martial, he might do something spectacular to make people forget about the rubbish 88 mins of being dispossessed 8 times out of 10 and not being too arsed in general, last 2 outings of Martial have been positive though i admit, so maybe he's turned a corner, let's see!

Also too much emphasis is put on 'close control' as a means of judging how good a player is - Robben/Gareth Bale aren't blessed with close control yet 2 of the most dynamic/lethal forward players in football last 10 years.
I really can't agree with especially this bit. Robben's close control is fantastic.

yfoFC

Oh yeah sure, 2 Manchester United legends saying the same thing as me are only saying that because Rashford is “an English lad” :rolleyes:

What about Deschamps not selecting him for France in over a year? That because of Deschamps love for the English lad?

How about Jose Mourinho (Portuguese manager) starting Rashford 8 times out 10 over Martial this season, that because of his fondness for the English lad?

How about Rashford being named in the top5 most valuable young players recently and ahead of Martial:-

How’s about people stop talking rubbish/stop seeing things with blinkers on and consider the fact Martial might be slightly overrated on the Red Cafe?

Also ask yourself this, between he and Rashford who as more of a chance being sold this summer? If you answer truthfully you know the answer to that, so what does that say?

Ok Martial started the last 2 or 3 games and played ok (not fantastic) let’s see if can keep it up and improve or if he will go back into ‘not arsed’ mode again like he as for almost 2 years.

I hope he does go on from here and fulfill his potential, i will be as pleased as anybody if that happens, but judging from most of his performances in the last 18 months I’m not holding my breath.
:lol:
I love it when people end their biased posts with a little caveat so as to try and mask the biasness that can be gleamed off 90% of the post

So martial has been playing rubbish for almost two years now and only just started playing well in the last 2 or 3 games? Now I've seen it all

Sing you a song

It's a close call between the 2 of them both still playing with the seemingly inescapable
" potential " tag , both lack any sort of real consistency and have lots of room for improvement.
With the Derby in mind my choice of the 2 would be Martial because goal scoring chances could be few and far between and I would rather see Martial than Rashford running onto a through ball as he is more composed in front of goal and a more clinical finisher

prath92

Rashford is a more useful player currently. Can play wide and up front well, can take FKs, can take corners reasonably well and runs himself to the ground. Has also been more or less just as effective as martial.

Martial on the other hand has the ball glued to his feet and can be magical sometimes. He also had to play with the big money signing tag which Rashford didn’t.

So yes currently for me Rashford is slightly better than Rashford.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
The two have definitely helped bring the best out of each other. Both being effective off the bench is an added bonus - Martial had really struggled as a sub prior to this season - Now he's a weapon. It's a very good dynamic we have going. I find it crazy that any United fan would be putting down one or the other. They're both phenomenal talents which we can build around. They're competing for a place at the moment but I think it's a matter of time before they're in the team together. We just happen to have everyone fit with Lingard in the form of his life.

Martial is definitely worthy of his place right now. He has one of the highest goals/assists per minute ratio in the league and has been outstanding in our last two games. He's looking more motivated than ever and given he looked a bit disgruntled last season it's important we give him his opportunities while he's producing. If he drops off - Rashford is right there. It's refreshing.

Reactions: Penna

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The two have definitely helped bring the best out of each other. Both being effective off the bench is an added bonus - Martial had really struggled as a sub prior to this season - Now he's a weapon. It's a very good dynamic we have going. I find it crazy that any United fan would be putting down one or the other. They're both phenomenal talents which we can build around. They're competing for a place at the moment but I think it's a matter of time before they're in the team together. We just happen to have everyone fit with Lingard in the form of his life.

Martial is definitely worthy of his place right now. He has one of the highest goals/assists per minute ratio in the league and has been outstanding in our last two games. He's looking more motivated than ever and given he looked a bit disgruntled last season it's important we give him his opportunities while he's producing. If he drops off - Rashford is right there. It's refreshing.
Agreed. Sometimes two good players do that to one another and this seems to be one of those occasions.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When Rashford is on the ball he gets the crowd going, when Martial gets the ball it's not usually that same positive feeling, so Rashford for me.

With Martial, he might do something spectacular to make people forget about the rubbish 88 mins of being dispossessed 8 times out of 10 and not being too arsed in general, last 2 outings of Martial have been positive though i admit, so maybe he's turned a corner, let's see!

Also too much emphasis is put on 'close control' as a means of judging how good a player is - Robben/Gareth Bale aren't blessed with close control yet 2 of the most dynamic/lethal forward players in football last 10 years.
Although I’m a mere armchair fan, the crowd don’t get more excited for any player than with Martial. His song is the most sung, and if he’s on the bench, they are singing him on from the start.

I get the impression that he’s the fans favourite. After all, there is a ‘Martial FC’ is there not?

Number1

I love it when people end their biased posts with a little caveat so as to try and mask the biasness that can be gleamed off 90% of the post

So martial has been playing rubbish for almost two years now and only just started playing well in the last 2 or 3 games? Now I've seen it all
You try to stamp *biased* on me, yet looking at your profile you’ve rated Martial 7.9 for the season, so let’s round that off to 8 out of 10. If Martial's played 8 out of 10 this season, there’s only 1 person being 'biased' and that’s not me.

I just say it how I see it, I’d give him a 6 for the season so far, him being a 5 last season and once again I’m not the only one saying this - Only 4 months into the season, Jose (his own manager) has come out and said Martial has to improve/Neville as said Martial as to improve and others involved within the game.

So don’t direct these laughing faces :lol: in my direction making out I’m talking nonsense when I’m one of few talking sense on Martial on here, I don't dislike Martial as a player, but he’s still raw and not this massive upgrade on Rashford like you and others are making out on this site.

Last edited:

Banat

What the hell is wrong with some fans trying to divide people in 2 camps? They are both brilliant players, progressing nicely, I thought this thread was meant to compare their skills and attributes, not to belittle on or another?
Martial has the biggest potential to become world class player in our squad (I count DDG and Pogba as world class already). He has flaws, like his mentality sometimes and work rate, can be selfish sometimes and try to overcomplicate things, but he is improving with every game.

Rajma

The post is load of rubbish overall but Robben moment just tops it, guy's in the top 10 if not 5 players in the world in that department.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Wow! Where to start with this?? The delusion is strong in this one. You need to sit down!

jungledrums

You try to stamp *biased* on me, yet looking at your profile you’ve rated Martial 7.9 for the season, so let’s round that off to 8 out of 10. If Martial's played 8 out of 10 this season, there’s only 1 person being 'biased' and that’s not me.

I just say it how I see it, I’d give him a 6 for the season so far, him being a 5 last season and once again I’m not the only one saying this - Only 4 months into the season, Jose (his own manager) has come out and said Martial has to improve/Neville as said Martial as to improve and others involved within the game.

So don’t direct these laughing faces :lol: in my direction making out I’m talking nonsense when I’m one of few talking sense on Martial on here, I don't dislike Martial as a player, but he’s still raw and not this massive upgrade on Rashford like you and others are making out on this site.
This is getting ridiculous. Martial has been very good this season, and his stats have been absolutely fantastic. About 10 people have challenged you in this thread alone. Maybe take a breather...
I'm team Martial, hate that Rashford.

Number1

This is getting ridiculous. Martial has been very good this season, and his stats have been absolutely fantastic. About 10 people have challenged you in this thread alone. Maybe take a breather...
At least i back-up what i say with actual facts and quotes, but if the views of likes of Jose/Neville/Giggs/Deschamps and even Martial himself on his own form and half-arsed mentality on a football pitch still can't take those blinkers off and make you see how things really are then i guess the guy who posted in the Martial thread early on, a mod on this site i believe (Dante) who used the term "Martial-mentalists"

Here's the full quote:-

There are Martial-mentalists on the one side and realists on the other, as evidenced by the relative sizes of their player performance threads. When Martial plays better that's great. When Rashford plays better, it's a sign of the Apocalypse that can only be avoided by playing Martial instead.
Is quite spot on and there are indeed a lot of "Martial-mentalists" here.

Last edited:

yfoFC

I should have taken the hint when he mentioned that martial has been playing rubbish for almost two years now like martial hasn't been the most productive united player this season per minutes and overall but hey martial just started playing well 2 games ago so what do I know

I wouldn't lie that I prefer martial to rashford but doesn't mean I would put down the English man just to big up my man.

Fact is rashford had a very good game last time out after a run of bad form and I hope he kicks on this Christmas period 'cause we'll need all the firepower we can get to hunt down city. GGMU

BigCaine

At least i back-up what i say with actual facts and quotes, but if the views of likes of Jose/Neville/Giggs/Deschamps and even Martial himself on his own form and half-arsed mentality on a football pitch still can't take those blinkers off and make you see how things really are then i guess the guy who posted in the Martial thread early on, a mod on this site i believe (Dante) who used the term "Martial-mentalists.
What facts are these, all you have quoted are 2 it's legends with little or no managerial experience and a manager who is the only thing stopping his world class team from achieving trophies and a transfer value straight out of somebody behind. About mourinho, mourinho started martial against Liverpool and Arsenal and will start him against City so does he think rashford is not good enough against actually good teams.

You want facts these are what facts look like

16-17
Martial 35 apps 5 goals 6 assists
Rashford 43 apps 8 goals 5 assists

This in the season where Martial was called rubbish by one and all and Rashford was apparently brilliant.

17-18
Martial 20 apps 7 goals 5 assists
Rashford 21 apps 6 goals 4 assists

Even when Martial has played 200 mins less.

But we are Martial-mentalists and biased not to see that rashford is clearly better than the unfocused lazy martial.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did Deschamps try to select Rashford? That's a sacking offense, first Koulibaly and now Rashford?!?

cyril C

Rashford has strength and power, and discipline too. Martial has 2 attributes that no-one has - dribbling skill and calmness in front of goal. Take the Spur goal as example, Rashford or Lukaku would have smashed it hard and probably hit the keeper, Martial converted it. These 2 skills are something that you are born with. If and when Martial is ignited, he can be as skilful as Hazard, and probably stronger than him. Rashford is at best at Kane level. I never want to choose between these 2 because I want both, they just need time to develop that's all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Martial's game is more polished, which makes the comparison unfair imo.

willowisp

Hard to separate the two, I think Rashford scares defenders shitless because he is totally unpredictable and will take a gamble. That can change games. The home grown thing isn't important. Martial would be worth more in the current market, but Rashford has a value beyond cash. What he's got in his head you can't buy, steal or borrow. As he gets older he could become everything to us: captain, ambassador, ballon d'or, messiah.

Number1

This time last month the collective ‘Martial-mentalist’ voice on here was how Jose was bad for Martial and how we are going to lose a future superstar because of Jose’s dislike of him and because Jose is not the right manager for him in general.

Since then he’s started the last 3 games, had a mare against Brighton and played ok in the other 2, yet the ‘Martial-mentalist’ view is now Martial has been United’s best player this season and long live king Tony :drool:

I do think there’s more of an agenda against Rashford on here more so than Martial, maybe because he’s English and there’s certainly an anti-anything English brigade on the Red Cafe and will dismiss anything English past/present/future because of this.

Let’s see how Martial does later on and for the rest of the season, as said i don’t hate the guy, he’s actually in my fantasy football team today as Pogba got a red card, but people’s blindness/short-sightedness and memory on where Martial really is in his development is :wenger:

Last edited:

SemiPro

Martial definitely is the more naturally gifted player. Once he matures and adds some consistency to his game, which he has been starting to show this season, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Rashford is obviously very talented as well but I just don’t have the same confidence that he will score when he gets himself into those 1v1 situations.

Reactions: Niall

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rashford has strength and power, and discipline too. Martial has 2 attributes that no-one has - dribbling skill and calmness in front of goal. Take the Spur goal as example, Rashford or Lukaku would have smashed it hard and probably hit the keeper, Martial converted it. These 2 skills are something that you are born with. If and when Martial is ignited, he can be as skilful as Hazard, and probably stronger than him. Rashford is at best at Kane level. I never want to choose between these 2 because I want both, they just need time to develop that's all.
I'm an admitted Martial fanboy, but there's no way he's stronger than Hazard. Eden got da booty goin' on.

Last edited:

BigCaine

This time last month the collective ‘Martial-mentalist’ voice on here was how Jose was bad for Martial and how we are going to lose a future superstar because of Jose’s dislike of him and because Jose is not the right manager for him in general.

Since then he’s started the last 3 games, had a mare against Brighton and played ok in the other 2, yet the ‘Martial-mentalist’ view is now Martial has been United’s best player this season and long live king Tony :drool:

I do think there’s more of an agenda against Rashford on here more so than Martial, maybe because he’s English and there’s certainly an anti-anything English brigade on the Red Cafe and will dismiss anything English past/present/future because of this.

Let’s see how Martial does later on and for the rest of the season, as said i don’t hate the guy, he’s actually in my fantasy football team today as Pogba got a red card, but people’s blindness/short-sightedness and memory on where Martial really is in his development is :wenger:
Still waiting for your Facts.

Also
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Greck

Still waiting for your Facts.

Also

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Irrational posts like those are why this thread will end up locked in the near future. Anyone that doesn't agree with the majority opinion that Martial is better labels them 'martial fc' or 'martial mentalist'. This is despite the fact that Rash is compared to the likes of Mbappe

OL29

I think you're seeing things that don't exist. It's funny because it always seems to be those that rate Rashford more that start with the name calling and the 'Martial FC' shouts. It just comes across as petty and makes your point less credible.

Status
Not open for further replies.