Television Mare of Easttown (HBO)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Erin died from a smack to the head, right? With a rock or something?

I'm still betting she went off to meet either the kid's real dad or the priest/Dylan in the woods, things got a bit out of hand and it was mostly accidental. Probably then the person with her panicked and took her clothes to get rid of any DNA evidence. I think it'd made sense if after all this it turned out to be something really simple. They probably planned on coming forward but once they saw the media link it to Katie Bailee's abduction they bailed on it.
Was a gunshot. I thought it looked more like a smack to the head aswell but they've mentioned gunshot a few times, and think her finger was shot off too?

lsd

The Oracle
Oh come on! No thread for this yet?!

Mare of Easttown - starring Kate Winslet and made by HBO.

Has anyone seen this yet? Two episodes in (6 in total) and already it screams of quality.

Lost me at Kate Winslet

ColvaleGoa

Didn't see that coming . Had to check if that was the series Finale. Still got 2 more episodes. Very good twists there.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Watched the first episode last night. A bit dull so far but will stick it out for a few more due to good reviews and responses inhere.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Called it. Well, sort of…I think.

I really like the Chief. He’s the low-key star of the show; the moral center of the community.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Called it. Well, sort of…I think.

I really like the Chief. He’s the low-key star of the show; the moral center of the community.
I'm not sure it's morally right to rehire Mare after what she did you Drew's mum. Although it's very realistic in the States, I guess.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think Mare's best friend's hubby is the father. His younger brother killed Erin to 'save' the family
Yeah think that's pretty obvious now.

What's going on with the two lads though? Her ex and the other dickhead?

I hope it's not one of those situations where
the person who thinks he killed her didn't because they came along afterwards and finished the job. That would be a bit silly imo.

Also if that little lad would've drowned in the bath then I would've been out. Too depressing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah think that's pretty obvious now.

What's going on with the two lads though? Her ex and the other dickhead?

I hope it's not one of those situations where
the person who thinks he killed her didn't because they came along afterwards and finished the job. That would be a bit silly imo.

Also if that little lad would've drowned in the bath then I would've been out. Too depressing.
That spoiler is just what I was thinking.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Or thinks he killed her but was actually passed out drunk and his brother killed her to cover up for fathering the child.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I was thinking about it again last night and they've all been pretty shady when that family camp weekend was brought up. Even the Dad. Hmmmmmm

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
So wait is Guy Pearse character really as pointless as he seems, then? Just a whimpering middle aged man who seemingly will let Mare do whatever she wants to him and still come running back. He's probably the most underdeveloped character, for me.

I still think
Whatever Dylan and co. did isn't actually to do with Erin. They were doing something illegal to get the money for DJ's surgery and didn't want to get caught for it. Hard to know.

The priest is probably just as he says and didn't actually have anything to do with her murder.

Will they explain why Frank was giving her food and diapers? Or was it just her blonde friend making up a story to throw them off the scent?

I hope they just close out the remaining plots without trying to do any silly twists like above.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So wait is Guy Pearse character really as pointless as he seems, then? Just a whimpering middle aged man who seemingly will let Mare do whatever she wants to him and still come running back. He's probably the most underdeveloped character, for me.

I still think
Whatever Dylan and co. did isn't actually to do with Erin. They were doing something illegal to get the money for DJ's surgery and didn't want to get caught for it. Hard to know.

The priest is probably just as he says and didn't actually have anything to do with her murder.

Will they explain why Frank was giving her food and diapers? Or was it just her blonde friend making up a story to throw them off the scent?

I hope they just close out the remaining plots without trying to do any silly twists like above.
Woeful underused of Guy Pearce so far. Either there is a plot twist involving him or they have plans for the character in future series.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Woeful underused of Guy Pearae so far. Either there is a plot twist involving him or they have plans for the character in future series.
It's a mini series isn't it? Don't think there are plans for a follow up and I'm not sure it needs one either.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's a mini series isn't it? Don't think there are plans for a follow up and I'm not sure it needs one either.
Maybe but it has been so good so far I'd be suprised if they didn't go round again. Big Little Lies was planned as 1 series (and should have remained as such imo) yet had a second dog series based on the popularity of S1.

Massive Spanner

Maybe but it has been so good so far I'd be suprised if they didn't go round again. Big Little Lies was planned as 1 series (and should have remained as such imo) yet had a second dog series based on the popularity of S1.
Yeah true but BLL 2nd series felt totally unnecessary to me (though I didn't watch it). Hopefully they don't end this vaguely and close it out properly because I think they way it's been going so far is building to a natural "ending" for Mare. Addressing her son's death, accepting that her grandson's mother should be in his life, acknowledging that she needs to sort her life etc.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah true but BLL 2nd series felt totally unnecessary to me (though I didn't watch it). Hopefully they don't end this vaguely and close it out properly because I think they way it's been going so far is building to a natural "ending" for Mare. Addressing her son's death, accepting that her grandson's mother should be in his life, acknowledging that she needs to sort her life etc.
I wouldn't disagree. BLL series 2 was totally unnecessary and they should have ended it as per the source material at the end of s1.

But there is always the pressure to cash in when something works well and leaves the audience wanting more.

Dante

Average bang
I'm 23 minutes into episode 1 and I'm gonna make a prediction: the young mother gets killed, her dad gets the blame but the murderer turns out to be the priest at the church she mentioned. Let's see how it pans out.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
On a scale of 1 to 10 how bleak and violent is this show? I really want to watch it but will be a tough sell my missus if the bleakness/violence score is much above 6.
I mean it’s about a murder and cops. I’d say Its 6/7 out of 10 for bleakness. It’s not overly violent. well acted and easy to catch up. I would recommend it. I think it’s the best thing I’ve seen since succession

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
On a scale of 1 to 10 how bleak and violent is this show? I really want to watch it but will be a tough sell my missus if the bleakness/violence score is much above 6.
Not very violent but quite bleak I guess but overall below 6/10 on the Pigue bleskness/violence scale imo.

Ibi Dreams

Woeful underused of Guy Pearce so far. Either there is a plot twist involving him or they have plans for the character in future series.
it could turn out that he's using Mare for a book he's writing. I don't see him being involved in any of the crimes.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Have a feeling the finale is gonna be a letdown for what's been overall a decent show. Prolly try to cover up too many loose ends in a single episode.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s not as bleak and violent as ... Homeland; The Handmaid’s Tale; there are some light moments - for instance Mare’s Mum, there is a bit of psychodrama thrown in - your wife will enjoy I suspect

Roosney

Is it possible Pierce's character is the peeping tom who looks like a rodent (forgot the actual animal) from the first episode.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Excellent last episode. With the exception of the pointlessness of Guy Pearce's character this was a great story well told.