Gaming Mario Kart Tour - Mobile Game

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They've finally brought it out on mobile. Takes a bit of getting used to with the controls but it's quite fun.
I can't work out if I'm actually racing against real people or not though, and the racing isn't as hecticly fun and unpredictable as when I've played with mates in years gone by. Not in the early stages anyway.

Andersons Dietician

They've finally brought it out on mobile. Takes a bit of getting used to with the controls but it's quite fun.
I can't work out if I'm actually racing against real people or not though, and the racing isn't as hecticly fun and unpredictable as when I've played with mates in years gone by. Not in the early stages anyway.
It’s not real people, at first I thought it was and I was about ready to declare myself the king of Mario Kart and turn pro as I won Somewhere around 30-40 races in a row. What cc you racing at? Because at 150 or 200cc it’s a bit more frantic.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s not real people, at first I thought it was and I was about ready to declare myself the king of Mario Kart and turn pro as I won Somewhere around 30-40 races in a row. What cc you racing at? Because at 150 or 200cc it’s a bit more frantic.
Yeah I figured it was AI when no one else was boosting off the grid. I’m at 150cc now. It is a bit better yeah.

@esmufc07 ill smash you when multiplayer is available.

Andersons Dietician

You have to pay to get all the game modes. It's one of the worst mobile micro transaction games I've seen.
You can pay £4.99 a month for the gold pass to unlock 200cc but you don’t have to. 150cc and 200cc give you the same amount of points so it’s not an advantage. Other than that I have no idea what else requires paying for. Rubies are easy to make and getting drivers, karts and stuff seems quite easy without having to pay for it.

That’s really it, you don’t need the gold pass so I don’t agree with what you’re saying and if this is one of the worst transaction games you’ve seen we mustn’t play a lot of the similar games as it’s very very very tame compared to others.

Havak

Pokemon master
I like it and can't stop playing it, but it does feel like paying money gives you a massive advantage over free to play. I refuse to spend money on this despite my love of Mario Kart, so I'm just taking it for what it is. Presentation wise it's excellent, but it does feel very BETA.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I played it, won the first 3 races and thought I was amazing and deleted it cause I was bored. Now I see I wasn't racing against actual people.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You can pay £4.99 a month for the gold pass to unlock 200cc but you don’t have to. 150cc and 200cc give you the same amount of points so it’s not an advantage. Other than that I have no idea what else requires paying for. Rubies are easy to make and getting drivers, karts and stuff seems quite easy without having to pay for it.

That’s really it, you don’t need the gold pass so I don’t agree with what you’re saying and if this is one of the worst transaction games you’ve seen we mustn’t play a lot of the similar games as it’s very very very tame compared to others.
It's advertised as free to play yet you can't play all the game modes without paying. $5 a month to play the only game mode worth playing against bots (since online play isn't available) is a massive rip-off.

You have to spend currency to unlock characters or items or karts but they come in loot box form.

So yes, this game is one of the worst offenders as it ticks the boxes of a predatory game.

Andersons Dietician

It's advertised as free to play yet you can't play all the game modes without paying. $5 a month to play the only game mode worth playing against bots (since online play isn't available) is a massive rip-off.

You have to spend currency to unlock characters or items or karts but they come in loot box form.

So yes, this game is one of the worst offenders as it ticks the boxes of a predatory game.
Why is 200cc the only game mode worth playing? It gives you no benefit at all. Side note I haven’t paid anything and almost have most of the drivers and karts by simply completing challenges.

Snow

Why is 200cc the only game mode worth playing? It gives you no benefit at all. Side note I haven’t paid anything and almost have most of the drivers and karts by simply completing challenges.
Because it's against bots. Unless you're playing 200cc you don't have proper competition. They know that when pricing it away and are banking on people buying a challenge.

Andersons Dietician

Because it's against bots. Unless you're playing 200cc you don't have proper competition. They know that when pricing it away and are banking on people buying a challenge.
Can I ask have you even played it? Because it really sounds like you haven’t

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've been playing on 150cc and usually finish between 1st-4th. I'm probably just not very good, but it's the right level for me at the mo.

Snow

Can I ask have you even played it? Because it really sounds like you haven’t
I've played every iteration of Mario Kart. To me it feels like a game that will prey on the "free game" mobile culture for the reasons I've stated. The fact that this has Nintendo's stamp on it is embarrassing.

Snow

I've been playing on 150cc and usually finish between 1st-4th. I'm probably just not very good, but it's the right level for me at the mo.
You'll quickly master it I reckon and that's without all characters and karts available. Playing against bots will get stale and so naturally you'll gravitate towards paying that money. Not unlikely you'll forget that it's a subscription and you'll be charged again. Lots of preying mechanics at work here.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You'll quickly master it I reckon and that's without all characters and karts available. Playing against bots will get stale and so naturally you'll gravitate towards paying that money. Not unlikely you'll forget that it's a subscription and you'll be charged again. Lots of preying mechanics at work here.
Unlikely for me but that's how it might work for others. It's not as much fun when you're not fecking over a real person.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I've completed basically everything apart from the challenges, 2 gifts and about 6 stars from all the cups combined. Not paid anything yet.

All AAA mobile games are now going to contain microtransactions, companies are raking in millions and millions from them. It is unfortunately now unavoidable and is their main driver and main objective. I was initially pissed that it wanted me to pay $30 for Mario but then he came up in the store for gold anyway so I bought him without having to spend real money.

Andersons Dietician

I've played every iteration of Mario Kart. To me it feels like a game that will prey on the "free game" mobile culture for the reasons I've stated. The fact that this has Nintendo's stamp on it is embarrassing.
So you didn’t answer the question. Teen fact is yes there are micro transactions in it but they don’t affect the overall game like you originally stated. 150cc is good enough because it is a bit of a toss up. Again sometimes I can finish comfortably 1st but it’s so unpredictable that anything can happen and drifting the racing lines mine get you round the course quicker but you need to score points to get the highest scores to rank in Tier races and in doing so you often can’t take the fastest way around the track presenting its own problems.

From the looks of it we are in the New York tour which has a timer so likelyhood is in a week or 2 we will have all new races to do.

So I really don’t agree with anything you’ve said and hope others aren’t put off by the inaccuracies of what you’re saying.

Edit: multiplayer is pending as well.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What's the catch with this game ? It's not like Nintendo to give something away for free.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
What's the catch with this game ? It's not like Nintendo to give something away for free.
Unlocking things is gated behind using gems to chance RNG a drop of a new character, basically the same formula as all other fremium games. You can buy these gems if you want to with real money, or you can get them by playing the game. So far I've unlocked about 80% of what's currently available without needing to buy these gems through just playing the game, but there's no telling how that might change in the future if they mass add new characters/karts/gliders etc so remaining to be seen how predatory they get.

Also the 200cc races are gated behind a low monthly subscription, which is kinda scummy but as VeevavVee mentioned, the rewards for completion at 200cc are exactly the same as 150cc, meaning there's no actual advantage to people buying the sub and playing 200cc, they're getting the same points their races are just over a little faster.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Unlocking things is gated behind using gems to chance RNG a drop of a new character, basically the same formula as all other fremium games. You can buy these gems if you want to with real money, or you can get them by playing the game. So far I've unlocked about 80% of what's currently available without needing to buy these gems through just playing the game, but there's no telling how that might change in the future if they mass add new characters/karts/gliders etc so remaining to be seen how predatory they get.

Also the 200cc races are gated behind a low monthly subscription, which is kinda scummy but as VeevavVee mentioned, the rewards for completion at 200cc are exactly the same as 150cc, meaning there's no actual advantage to people buying the sub and playing 200cc, they're getting the same points their races are just over a little faster.
Cheers, doesn't sound too bad actually, might give this a try.

Sara125

They are bots? Say it isn’t so! No wonder why I have been coming 1st-3rd so many times. I’m actually disappointed thought I was proper good :(

edcunited1878

If you really want to challenge yourself, you should develop your other drivers/characters. It's a fun and easy to understand, execute mobile game.

Andersons Dietician

Playing today and one of the races for big bonuses was the pink princess kart that looks like an old Mercedes. Something like a certain dictator would be seen in. Anyway so I’m doing this race with metal mario and once I had won I swear it looks like he is performing the Nazi salute as he celebrates. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?