Mario Lemina

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For that price (20m), I agreed. Our midfield was so soft last season, and sometimes a bit lazy. It seems like he could fill in the combative and hardworking need.
He is, in my opinion, one of the few genuine box to box players in the league, in the sense that he is proficient at both ends as well, rather than just having the engine to get up and down. I can understand the reticence to a degree, but I think this is a genuinely smart pick up, especially for the price quoted.

DoomSlayer

I support OGS 100%, and think he has the best interests of the club at all times. But the real questions are 1) who came up with the strategy to buy these hungry players with potential (who are the people influencing OGS), 2) why did they choose this course of action, and 3) Are the owners and board willing to support OGS by bringing in top quality signings?
My concerns are similar, but Ole is a United fan naturally and surely he will give a 1000% to do what is needed. However he can't single-handedly change the club hierarchy and put some brain in our owners by force.

You also talked about why such a signing can be risky in a comment above. Your example about the £50 million players can also be used against you, as in our case we bought Fred and Matic for around £92 million and they have seriously flopped. Not sure if we can get even £50 million back for them currently. We will probably lose a bit of money on Lukaku, we wasted so much on the Sanchez signing and basically wrote off an asset in Mkhitaryan, who we still could have sold for £20-£25 million. The club made a loss on Di Maria too. So big signings have huge risk associated with them.

I think if Lemina plays to his actual ability consistently, he is a £50-£60 million player. The problem is getting him to stay fit and motivated, but maybe Ole thinks he can do it and that is why at £15 million it poses very low risk with a potential of very high reward. Look at how Liverpool bought Shaqiri from relegated Stoke. They got him for around £13 million and he is easily worth around double that right now, despite being a squad player only.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We can only target bit part players from relegation or bottom teams

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wonder how many fans have actually watched him play regularly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because a low value signing is not necessarily a low risk signing. For example: if you sign 4 players for £25m each with relatively little experience at a high level, you might get 3 out of those 4 players will never even be good enough to be a squad player. And perhaps 1 will be good enough to be a squad player. So after 2 years the £100m has become worth maybe £50m. And even worse, we will have 4 players on high salaries that will be difficult to move on. Of course, you could unearth a Ryan Giggs, but chances are you can also get many Nick Powells and Bebes.

But if you sign 2 proven midfielders for £50m each, sort of what Tottenham and City just did, chances are these 2 midfielders will develop into first team quality midfielders, and after 2 years they will likely be worth £100m. If done appropriately, this kind of investment in players is actually lower risk than betting on your ability to unearth AND develop appropriately the next Ryann Giggs.
Except he doesn't have relatively little experience, he's played in a champions league final, he's played for Juve and Marseille, and has played for Southampton in the premier league. He's hardly an unknown entity. So where is the high level's of risk exactly?

Patrick08

If he is good why is he available for cheap in this Market from a Epl club?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Most of the criticism for Lemina stems from the fact that he's so cheap and Southampton want to get shot of him. Maybe he'd have been rated higher if his price was made to be known as 50m instead of 18m.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because a low value signing is not necessarily a low risk signing. For example: if you sign 4 players for £25m each with relatively little experience at a high level, you might get 3 out of those 4 players will never even be good enough to be a squad player. And perhaps 1 will be good enough to be a squad player. So after 2 years the £100m has become worth maybe £50m. And even worse, we will have 4 players on high salaries that will be difficult to move on. Of course, you could unearth a Ryan Giggs, but chances are you can also get many Nick Powells and Bebes.

But if you sign 2 proven midfielders for £50m each, sort of what Tottenham and City just did, chances are these 2 midfielders will develop into first team quality midfielders, and after 2 years they will likely be worth £100m. If done appropriately, this kind of investment in players is actually lower risk than betting on your ability to unearth AND develop appropriately the next Ryann Giggs.
This literally makes no sense. Tottenham & city have spent more than 50m on each and also they’re not proven at all. Only in their respective league. Also, you don’t buy someone for 25m then proceed to put them on 150k a week. It’s much more risky to spend 50m, huge wages on someone who’s not played in the league. Not to mention Lemina has experience at all levels and the price quoted for him has been max £18m.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everytime im underwhelmed by a player linked to us, I think of Liverpools midfield.

Lets be serious guys, no one in here cared much about Liverpools midfield last summer. And they lost the league by a point and won the CL.

Its a team sport, the right balance and combinations are more important than names.
You're spot on. Look at liverpool: they combine one of the world's best DMs(Fabinho) with two quick, fast, energetic and disciplined runners who are decent on the ball and strong in duels and 50/50 situations, and then they have Mane, Salah, Firmino up top, two of the world's very best wingbacks in Robertson and Trent Double-Name and the best CB in the world, and arguably the best gk in the world too. Thus proving that if you have 8 of the very best players in the world at their position, you don't need the other 3 to be more than above average, good players

:wenger:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most of the criticism for Lemina stems from the fact that he's so cheap and Southampton want to get shot of him. Maybe he'd have been rated higher if his price was made to be known as 50m instead of 18m.
Also he failed at Juve and now Saints want their 3rd choice CM out. But I guess he's good enough for the new Cardiff

roonster09

Scout
You're spot on. Look at liverpool: they combine one of the world's best DMs(Fabinho) with two quick, fast, energetic and disciplined runners who are decent on the ball and strong in duels and 50/50 situations, and then they have Mane, Salah, Firmino up top, two of the world's very best wingbacks in Robertson and Trent Double-Name and the best CB in the world, and arguably the best gk in the world too. Thus proving that if you have 8 of the very best players in the world at their position, you don't need the other 3 to be more than above average, good players

:wenger:
I think the point he is making is, none of them were best in the world and among the best when Liverpool signed them (maybe except Alisson)

Did you have any reason to place that bet? Or did you just bet on a random bunch of players?
It wasn’t a real bet. No bookmaker would offer those odds on a PL player joining anothe PL club. Happy to be proven wrong - but I don’t imagine the player will be able to produce any evidence.

bucky

I think the point he is making is, none of them were best in the world and among the best when Liverpool signed them (maybe except Alisson)
All of them were much more impressive than anything Lemina has done in his career. Salah was excellent for Roma. So were Keita for Leipzig, van Dijk and Mane for Southampton, Firmino for Hoffenheim and Fabinho for Monaco.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What you're saying isn't wrong. But then again, at 25 he changed club 3 times, the first from OM to juventus was a €500k loan with a €9.5m option to buy(total €10m), then a year after picking up said option juventus sold him to southampton for €17+3m, and now two years later southampton are asking £15m for him

That's 3 clubs he's played for and none valued him highly...

Cliche Guevara

Did you have any reason to place that bet? Or did you just bet on a random bunch of players?
It was just a joke to reflect how unexpected this signing was. I didn’t think anyone would take it seriously. I was initially going to say 100,000/1

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Also he failed at Juve and now Saints want their 3rd choice CM out. But I guess he's good enough for the new Cardiff
He failed at Juve, which is correct, these things happen sometimes a player might not fit the team but look like a world beater somewhere else. Look at Kondogbia for Inter and now at Valencia. Southampton want him out because of his attitude not because he suddenly became a worse player. He won't be the main midfielder at either Arsenal or at United, but he can be a cog in a functional midfield which is what we should be looking at.
What you're saying isn't wrong. But then again, at 25 he changed club 3 times, the first from OM to juventus was a €500k loan with a €9.5m option to buy(total €10m), then a year after picking up said option juventus sold him to southampton for €17+3m, and now two years later southampton are asking £15m for him

That's 3 clubs he's played for and none valued him highly...
This is all metadata, not based on the actual qualities of the player. I could counter this by saying that if the scouts at Arsenal and United think he's good enough, then he's good enough.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fair enough. Though i'd say Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho were. Two of them went for record fees and the other was wanted by half of europe

Jacob

Actually excited about this. He reminds of Dembele (Spurs) in his style of play. We lack mids who can drive the ball forward and attack the space.

If we manage to get him for 15M and make the most out of him, I'd say it could potentially be up there with the signings of the season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He failed at Juve, which is correct, these things happen sometimes a player might not fit the team but look like a world beater somewhere else. Look at Kondogbia for Inter and now at Valencia. Southampton want him out because of his attitude not because he suddenly became a worse player. He won't be the main midfielder at either Arsenal or at United, but he can be a cog in a functional midfield which is what we should be looking at.

This is all metadata, not based on the actual qualities of the player. I could counter this by saying that if the scouts at Arsenal and United think he's good enough, then he's good enough.
He has be failing to reach the expectations set for the past 3 years and at 2 different clubs. His attitude and fitness sucked at Southampton while at Juve he was simply not good enough. Yet we are expected that Southampton's third choice midfielder is good enough for us. Also how many squad players we need?

roonster09

Scout
All of them were much more impressive than anything Lemina has done in his career. Salah was excellent for Roma. So were Keita for Leipzig, van Dijk and Mane for Southampton, Firmino for Hoffenheim and Fabinho for Monaco.
I agree with that but the general point was something else, at least that's my assumption. OP can clear that up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really. There's usually a direct correlation between a players qualities, the number of times he changes teams and the prices of those moves. Three clubs had him, saw him every day, knew him, and decided he wasn't worth much to them. Two of those scouted him, from the outside, thought he had enough potential to sign him, then barely 2 years in had given up on him and were only interested to make some money -not even much at that- off of him

That should raise a red flag

Now sure, he might work out at his next club. For arsenal with their budget and current options, it makes some sense

For United? Only if they sell one of Matic/Fred/McT/Pereira

roonster09

Scout
Asked why he’s not been at the club’s preseason training, Lemina said: “I am physically preparing myself at the training centre, with a few other players including Charlie Austin and Jordy Clasie. I did not accompany the team in training in agreement with the coach. He wants to build his group with the players who want to stay at the club, so he left me out. As early as last year, I had set my conditions: I wanted to go elsewhere this summer. I was also very frustrated by my injury that lasted four months, so I really want to discover something else.”
http://sportwitness.co.uk/theres-no...peak-man-united-mario-lemina-speaks-transfer/

roonster09

Scout
He was upset he was injured for 4 months so he wanted to leave? I didn't get that bit..
It's a big interview, he said he wanted to leave after 2 years at Southampton and made it clear last year. That's why he wasn't part of preseason as coach wants the players who will be Southampton players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not really. There's usually a direct correlation between a players qualities, the number of times he changes teams and the prices of those moves. Three clubs had him, saw him every day, knew him, and decided he wasn't worth much to them. Two of those scouted him, from the outside, thought he had enough potential to sign him, then barely 2 years in had given up on him and were only interested to make some money -not even much at that- off of him

That should raise a red flag

Now sure, he might work out at his next club. For arsenal with their budget and current options, it makes some sense

For United? Only if they sell one of Matic/Fred/McT/Pereira
The red flag at Marseille was that he had a bad attitude, he thought that he had made it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People who think this is a low risk signing don’t understand risk.
Why isn’t it a low risk signing?

It seems it is you who either does not understand the word ‘risk’, or has simply not seen Lemina play.

He’s low-risk not simply because of his low price. He’s low risk due to the combination of his low price and the potential of a very high reward. Lemina has shown the level of whatever midfielders you would have probably preferred us to buy. However, he hasn’t shown it often enough. Therefore, the potential isn’t just some pipe dream - everyone has seen how well he is actually capable of playing. Getting him to do that weekly makes him worth far more than £15m. At least 3, maybe four times that.

The possibility of getting a £60m player, or even more likely - a £30m player, for £15m is low risk.

To make your point, you have created a scenario where we buy Lemina four times instead of once. We shouldn’t exclusively sign players like Lemina of course, but we shouldn’t exclude them either.

Negative Red

I don't know a great deal about the player but he looks like his first thought is to go forwards rather than sideways/backwards. Can't be a bad player to have played for Juve, but it's another risk and we need guaranteed first team players...desperately.

CM

It does seem that way. You're not worth your salt as a player unless there's a huge premium on your head.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Once again though, I'm reading the same comment "the Reds will not submit a bid for the Gabonese international until want-away Paul Pogba’s future has been resolved"

Read exactly the same comments regarding Bruno, Tielemans, Ndombele, etc...
Surely there cannot be any truth to this logic can there..?

Nialinho

My point exactly, fans are content with. Yes, I have watched Southampton, if he is so good, why did they struggle so bad? I am sure you'd agree Midfield is where a game can be won? 1 assist and 1 goal last season?

Well if your point about Big Superstar haven't come off.. neither have other signings, should we stop buying players then?

I do not mind having a couple of cheap / shrewd business players. He is 25, so why not go for a Tielemans for £40m? at least with him, everyone knew he was available.
You clearly don't watch much English football man. The guy has been had injury problems for the majority of the season and didn't play for like four months, hence the low numbers and why he was behind Hojberg and Romeu at times. Also, according to him he had an agreement with the hierarchy that he'd stay for two years and move on. I'm not sure why we didn't go for Tielemans, maybe Ole didn't see him fitting alongside Pogba. It seems like he was contingency plan if Pogba was to leave. I'm hoping if Real or Juve cough up the money that we'd actually go for someone a level above Tielemans. I think it's evident our recruitment has been a shambles since Ed became the chairman but we obviously need players :lol: But we need to start operating more like how Spurs and Liverpool have done in the last few seasons, buying hungry players who fit the way we play and not spending over the odds for prima donnas. I'm not saying Lemina is a world beater but it's soooooo obvious the majority of posters haven't even seen him, the guy is talented and a much better option than Longstaff at half the price.