Mario Mandžukić

SAFMUTD

Would be a good squad player, but we should offer him a short contract. He has been slowing down season after season and we dont need another Schweingsteiger/Alexis situation.

Suvvernmanc

This one is quite exciting. Hes obviously still a decent player. His game is about pressing and can finish, in fact I'd say he is a superb finisher but I'm excited because it would give us quality in depth. Something we haven't had for a while.

Macern

Pee pee pants
This make no sense to me. We already have Rashford, Martial, Alexis and Greenwood for the striker position plus Lingard and Dybala (if we sign Mandzukic) as false 9 options. James can also play ST.

Mandzukic’ best position is arguably on the left isn’t it? That’s a position we’re definitely overcrowded in.

Jacob

This make no sense to me. We already have Rashford, Martial, Alexis and Greenwood for the striker position plus Lingard and Dybala (if we sign Mandzukic) as false 9 options. James can also play ST.

Mandzukic’ best position is arguably on the left isn’t it? That’s a position we’re definitely overcrowded in.
None of them are good to be fair. Not even Rashford who's been terrible since Ole's first few weeks.

Macern

Pee pee pants
None of them are good to be fair. Not even Rashford who's been terrible since Ole's first few weeks.
I doubt Mandzukic would perform better than Rashford, Martial, Dybala and perhaps even Alexis and Greenwood to be honest.

Eric's Seagull

Sanchez only scored 1 in League last season, so I don't think he can be relied upon.

Jacob

I doubt Mandzukic would perform better than Rashford, Martial, Dybala and perhaps even Alexis and Greenwood to be honest.
Why? He's an experienced striker with a good track record. Someone who can show the ropes to Greenwood and even Rashford. It's not going to be hard to perform better than the lot we have. We need to show they aren't entitled to game time regardless of how poor they've been. Seriously, Martial have been piss poor since forever.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Sanchez only scored 1 in League last season, so I don't think he can be relied upon.
Obviously not, but I watched most of his game in Copa America and he was on fire so he has definitely not lost it yet. I’d rather let Rashford and Martial play who are likely to perform better than Mandzukic, Alexis who still has it in him and could potentially be great for us in that position which is his best (I know people have given up on him though, but not me :)), Dybala who is at his best when playing close to the goal and also Greenwood who is a massive talent.

On the other hand Mandzukic is excellent at pressing, probably has a very good mentality, has a lot of experience and excels on big occations. Still, I’d prefer to play better players / develop our talents than giving playing time to him.

Ban

Thinking about this he’s the only player we have who people definitely wouldn’t enjoy playing against. Loads of our players are soft as shite. He’s not. He’s old and hard.
I guarantee you he'll have a chant in a few months. He 'eats grass' from 1st to 90th minute.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Why? He's an experienced striker with a good track record. Someone who can show the ropes to Greenwood and even Rashford. It's not going to be hard to perform better than the lot we have. We need to show they aren't entitled to game time regardless of how poor they've been. Seriously, Martial have been piss poor since forever.
He hasn’t been too bad in preseason and I think he’s significantly better as a striker than as a winger due to him not being able to make the required off the ball runs from out wide.

Rashford is a better player and a greater talent than Mandzukic, Dybala is a way better player and Greenwood is a huge talent that needs to play games.

And we also have Sanchez. We have enough players up front to be honest.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sheringham, that was my thought aswell.
If he wants to play with 2 strikers, he'll have 4-5 to chose from.

Rashford-Martial-Mandzukic-Greenwood(Sanchez)
Cole-Yorke-Sheringham-Solskjær

I see similarities. Mandzukic the tall one who can win in the air, and good to hold up the ball - like Sheringham.
Greenwood the fox in the box, good finisher - like Solskjær.

Not sure where Sanchez fits in, but i guess we all would be happy if he just left.
Yeh. I'm not sure about the salary though. And his injury record.

settembrini

Both Rashford and Martial have a better goal record playing for United than Mandzukic does playing for the only good team in a weak league.

Eric's Seagull

Obviously not, but I watched most of his game in Copa America and he was on fire so he has definitely not lost it yet. I’d rather let Rashford and Martial play who are likely to perform better than Mandzukic, Alexis who still has it in him and could potentially be great for us in that position which is his best (I know people have given up on him though, but not me :)), Dybala who is at his best when playing close to the goal and also Greenwood who is a massive talent.

On the other hand Mandzukic is excellent at pressing, probably has a very good mentality, has a lot of experience and excels on big occations. Still, I’d prefer to play better players / develop our talents than giving playing time to him.
I didn't watch the Copa America but read that he played well. Thanks for informing me about his Copa America form. I'll take a look at the highlights. Hope you are correct on Sanchez, as I want any player we sign to play well :)

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We not great at plan A so we definitely need a plan B , especially late in games.

Mandzukic is very good in the air so would certainly be a good target man for us. Also he's really hard working so would be a good player to press with.

I'm all for it, the rest of our attackers are all samey samey. You need one to mix it up unless you're City.

saivet

He's at least a different profile to all of these players mentioned.

RussellWilson

Once Lukaku leaves, we have no physical presence up front. Martial, Rashford, Dybala (if we signed him), James, Greenwood, Mata, Lingard or even Sanchez are all technical players, and none of them is an aerial threat. Mandzukic provides us exactly what all of them can't. A perfect plan B for us especially when some Burnley team is parking the bus and won't move their 11 players away from their penalty box. He is also extremely hardworking on the field and has a very high defensive work rate which suits our tactics.
Yup exactly my thoughts.

settembrini

Surprised so many people are regurgitating this 'we need a big lad for plan B' idea.

We literally had this for years with Fellaini. It rarely worked and most people hated it. The vast majority of top teams don't use players like this because it doesn't work. It was horrible watching our biggest rivals, City and Liverpool, become two of the best attacking teams in the world while we frequently finished matches with our awful plan B of lobbing balls in the direction of our big man like a team from the 70s. When Solskjaer sold Fellaini he received a ton of praise for doing so. People were glad that era was over. And now people want to go back to that literally the very next transfer window. Remarkable.

Jacob

He hasn’t been too bad in preseason and I think he’s significantly better as a striker than as a winger due to him not being able to make the required off the ball runs from out wide.

Rashford is a better player and a greater talent than Mandzukic, Dybala is a way better player and Greenwood is a huge talent that needs to play games.

And we also have Sanchez. We have enough players up front to be honest.
Agree to disagree mate, for me it's not about the numbers. I completely disregard Sanchez as a contributor this season, Mason is 17 and should not be counted on to play regularly. That leaves us with two players that can play as the 9, MR and AM. Dybala isnt signed so I can't consider him.

mu4c_20le

The last time I was this excited! I mean I hope it works out this time, if we get either of them. But that Summer broke me!
Ehh... everyone knew Falcao was coming off a big injury. This reminds me more of that summer where we went for Nani, and also brought back an Anderson. Who was great for at least two seasons anyways.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Agree to disagree mate, for me it's not about the numbers. I completely disregard Sanchez as a contributor this season, Mason is 17 and should not be counted on to play regularly. That leaves us with two players that can play as the 9, MR and AM. Dybala isnt signed so I can't consider him.
Two players to play as a striker, attacking mid and right wing? Also, if Mandzukic signs so will Dybala surely so he has to be included.

Kag

Surprised so many people are regurgitating this 'we need a big lad for plan B' idea.

We literally had this for years with Fellaini. It rarely worked and most people hated it. The vast majority of top teams don't use players like this because it doesn't work. It was horrible watching our biggest rivals, City and Liverpool, become two of the best attacking teams in the world while we frequently finished matches with our awful plan B of lobbing balls in the direction of our big man like a team from the 70s. When Solskjaer sold Fellaini he received a ton of praise for doing so. People were glad that era was over. And now people want to go back to that literally the very next transfer window. Remarkable.
Mandzukic isn’t a midfielder that the manager will start semi-regularly. He also isn’t Fellaini. You’ve made a comparison out of thin air.

If Mandzukic was to come off the bench to provide an option that Rashford and Martial couldn’t then great. That’s why we have squads.

RussellWilson

There are other ways to use a target man. Just because Jose chose to hoof the ball from the half way line doesn't mean Ole will.

When teams are in a low block, you will have to use crosses and none of our others can head the ball for toffee.

It's what the classic Fergie teams did.

AJ10

Not a Fellaini.

settembrini

Mandzukic isn’t a midfielder that the manager will start semi-regularly. He also isn’t Fellaini.

You’ve made a comparison out of thin air.
I made a comparison because people keep saying we should buy him as a plan B even though we had years of Fellaini doing the same thing as a plan B and most people thinking (rightly) that it sucked.

R'hllor

I guarantee you he'll have a chant in a few months. He 'eats grass' from 1st to 90th minute.
@Ban working overtime to deflect lunatics and he isnt even signed yet, i love it! When/If it becomes official, we make shifts schedules :P

Kag

I made a comparison because people keep saying we should buy him as a plan B even though we had years of Fellaini doing the same thing as a plan B and most people thinking (rightly) that it sucked.
But he isn’t Fellaini? You’re making the assumption that because he is tall he must be exactly the same player.

Fellaini wasn’t always a Plan B either, which was an ever bigger issue. He was quite often playing at the expense of better players when we didn’t need him to be.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This one is quite exciting. Hes obviously still a decent player. His game is about pressing and can finish, in fact I'd say he is a superb finisher but I'm excited because it would give us quality in depth. Something we haven't had for a while.
He has scored 7, 5 and 9 goals in the league the last 3 seasons. He has scored a goal every 300 minutes since joining Juve.