Marko Arnautović | United have pulled out

Thom Merrilin

I wasn't particularly excited about this transfer. However, if Murtough is putting much stock in fan opinion I'd be a bit worried, he's supposed to have more of a clue than we do.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

I'm still so convinced this wasn't a real move for him, it was just to make everything else seem better by comparison. Also, to make it look like the board/management listened to fan opinion.

Happy he isn't coming anyway.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Except that Albania is not really a race... different backgrounds live there, most are tanned muslims yes, but still difficult to label Albania as one race.

I mean... by now everyone knows if a name ends with "-ic" its worth doing a little background check to avoid these kind of suprises. If this upsets you, dont dig further into Sasa Kalajdzic as you will find both are from Serbian descent.
I'm perfectly aware of his heritage and the cultural background, it's still bullshit

Red Stone

Also, to make it look like the board/management listened to fan opinion.
While I'm glad that twat isn't coming anywhere near our club, this particular aspect has made the board look even more feckless and weak than they did before, which is some accomplishment.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

I'm still so convinced this wasn't a real move for him, it was just to make everything else seem better by comparison. Also, to make it look like the board/management listened to fan opinion.

Good stuff we told him and them to do one, but the bolded part is no cause for celebration. If Arnautovic really was ETHs target (which would be terrible on another level), a penny for his thought that fan protest denied him his man

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
the first good bit of news in the transfer window... although now it seems we are interested in Sarr. How much further can we sink?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Suarez was a racist bastard. But people (even in here) still supporting Barca (to win games) when he was there. There were also lots of admirer here when he was at his peak.

Judas

Open to offers

Generally they do, we all said on here if the racist stuff was brought up and the backlash was loud enough they'd back out, and they did. Very much doubt this was some 5D chess move. Just shitty decision making.

phelans shorts

I mean... by now everyone knows if a name ends with "-ic" its worth doing a little background check to avoid these kind of suprises. If this upsets you, dont dig further into Sasa Kalajdzic as you will find both are from Serbian descent.
Are you trying to suggest that people don’t want Arnautovic because he’s of Serbian descent rather than the, ya know, racism.

I’ll tell you this for free, as long as Sasa doesn’t have any of that pesky racism on his track record then nobody will give a damn about his heritage.

Master Yoda

Are you trying to suggest that people don’t want Arnautovic because he’s of Serbian descent rather than the, ya know, racism.

I’ll tell you this for free, as long as Sasa doesn’t have any of that pesky racism on his track record then nobody will give a damn about his heritage.
No... thats not what Im suggesting at all, not even remotely close.
You wouldnt be asking this if you actualy dug u bit deeper. The guy who I quoted claimed Arnautovic was Austrian and had no ties in Balkan feud or Serbian if you prefer. I simply reminded him that Arnautovic name alone should give you hints that may cause red flags.

I personaly avoid Balkan people when it comes to politics, it never ends well. Everyone has their own history book there it seems. God is a Serb, so is everyone else in that area, meanwhile the whole world is map of Albania. Thats the kind of bs you would be dealing with.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
No... thats not what Im suggesting at all, not even remotely close.
You wouldnt be asking this if you actualy dug u bit deeper. The guy who I quoted claimed Arnautovic was Austrian and had no ties in Balkan feud or Serbian if you prefer. I simply reminded him that Arnautovic name alone should give you hints that may cause red flags.

I personaly avoid Balkan people when it comes to politics, it never ends well. Everyone has their own history book there it seems. God is a Serb, so is everyone else in that area, meanwhile the whole world is map of Albania. Thats the kind of bs you would be dealing with.
Not even close to what I said, but please go on justifying racism because 'culture'.

He's only half Serbian, born and raised in Austria where he spent all of his childhood and youth. He had more than enough time to adopt a more liberal and less tribal view of the world (if we assume for a second Austrians are normal :angel:). I'm very familiar with the mindset that is present in many parts of Balkan, but he didn't grow up in this mindset and still decided to act and behave on this medieval line of thinking

Redcy

Suarez was a racist bastard. But people (even in here) still supporting Barca (to win games) when he was there. There were also lots of admirer here when he was at his peak.
Can admire player skill sets without ever wanting him to join your club.

Master Yoda

Not even close to what I said, but please go on justifying racism because 'culture'.

He's only half Serbian, born and raised in Austria where he spent all of his childhood and youth. He had more than enough time to adopt a more liberal and less tribal view of the world (if we assume for a second Austrians are normal :angel:). I'm very familiar with the mindset that is present in many parts of Balkan, but he didn't grow up in this mindset and still decided to act and behave on this medieval line of thinking
Why are you dragging me into this bs? Im explaining to you his ties with Serbia or Balkan hence why there might be a feud, Arnautovic speaks Serbian, lifts 3 nationalistic fingers. Why didnt Arnautovic assimilate into Austrian culture? I dont know, I dont care. Ask him.
youtube.com/watch?v=MZdPsdgiDlM

Now quote me exactly where Im justifying racism? You said the feud was bs because hes Austrian, yet there are so many signs going back to his roots.

Do I have to explain to you why there might be feud between Jews and palestinians?

Im not justifying any wars, just pointing out where matters are sensitive and may cause feud.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Hearing Gabby Agbonlahor talk about this guy on Talkshite this morning is embarrassing.

Saying the reason we don’t want him at the club is footballing, and totally ignores the real reason.

He then says he’d rather have him in the team than Sancho. Pretty sure most ‘pundits’ are on there to say controversial things.

Skills

Snitch
Heard Liverpool are now in for him, since they found out about the racist incidents.

Strootman's Finger

This seems racist. You may want to get out of your glass house before you throw anymore stones.

mk7

You have to keep in mind that where he spent his childhood and youth there is very much a very close-knit Balkan community that kind of exist as a parallel reality where such a mindset is present. So not much need to "assimilate" ...

NoLogo

Nothing has changed.
Pretty much my sentiment about the whole mess. The people in charge of this club don't have the expertise or knowledge to bring in the right people, thus we are stuck in a cycle of awfulness and shite recruitment decisions. I mean the fact that after all these years since Carrick and Scholes retired we are still stuck with those to jokers Fred and McTom in midfield tells you all about the incompetence of the people making decisions at this club. And remember how Liverpool was in a truly sorry state before their current owners took over and brought in the right staff? We are currently in that spot, it all just didn't get to shite before because when they came to the club the Glazers already had one of the best ever managers and his team in charge of the club and they didn't have to do anything but cash in their checks.

Azhar88

Austria is not a race not sure if necessary
I'm quite puzzled by this whole thing actually. According to what I have read two things stick out i) Erik Ten Hag wanted this player and ii) Arnautovic got into trouble at Euro '21 for making an insulting comment, but I don't think it was a racist one and he has denied being a racist.

ETH must have known about the Euro '21 thing and he must have accepted the players denial (of racism) or he wouldn't have even put his name forward.

Once the transfer seemed to be moving ahead there was a backlash from United fans. The club pulled out of the transfer stating the fans views and the fact they felt Bologna were asking too much money for a 33 yr old. Why did the club feel it was necessary to cite both reasons? surely the cost/age factor was enough. It sounded to me like 'virtue signalling' on the club's behalf and judging by comments on this thread, it has worked. But are the club going to listen to the fans on other things now: like 'Glazers out' and 'No more McFred in a starting lineup' - I bet not.

The question I want answering is this: what does Erik Ten Hag think of all of this?

I think he has been made certain promises on getting the Man United job and time and time again these promises are being broken. I suppose he will stick it out for as long as he can, he isn't going to resign, who does these days because when you resign you don't get a penny, but wait till you are sacked and its 6-8 million minimum. That is like a lottery win on a triple roll-over. In the meantime he will go through the motions and the players will go through the motions, there will be some good results, some bad and a mid-table finish in May '23.

Who knows if Arnautovitch would have been better than Martial or Ronaldo, that is irrelevant now, but the way this whole story has panned out may have deep implications for Erik Ten Hag and how he feels about the power he has, or doesn't have, to change things.

TsuWave

while United are chasing FDJ and Haaland when those players laugh at the prospect of joining United in their current state.

The only reason FDJ might join is to play with some of his buddies and former manger. Like I said in the first post you will get the few exceptions who will go to United to get a nice pay day I.E Pogba, Alexis.
United chased Haaland?
Alexis & Pogba only came here for a nice pay day?