5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

The good thing with him is he could be very useful in the right set up so could potentially fetch £15m+.

I guess the most relevant question maybe will Mourinho see a use for him?
No club will pay that much for him after the last three seasons.

Even we shouldn't have paid that much, mind you. Let alone 27M. Too late now of course.

Siorac

You are right, it is intangible and it will be a subjective view for each fan of United. There will be many who just think he is a clown and will never see it. I still think the fact that despite being booed and jeered by his own fans and then on numerous occasions afterwards giving a solid shift for nothing more than the shirt is something to be commended.
He's getting paid for it, too. It's his job, you know.

dichinero

No club will pay that much for him after the last three seasons.

Even we shouldn't have paid that much, mind you. Let alone 27M. Too late now of course.
If reports are to be believed, didn't the club turn down anything less than £24m in January? Then again it's the new United!

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
A club like Sunderland may well shell out £10 million or so. He'd do well for them and it's about his level.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Odd inclusion for a feature on Football focus today. Clearly his PR people arranged it.

Must have said "I'm not dirty I just protect myself" about 20 times.
Bizarre

stevoc

Never read anything on here until today, it really does emphasize how far United have fallen when people consistently seem to think Fellaini is playing ok/decent/good in CM.

Expectations have just sunk so low and in general our whole squad almost to a man are so average that people aren't able to see how bad he is actually playing right now.

Of course a lot of it is down to Van Gaal continually playing him in there when he isn't really a proper midfielder.

stevoc

I'm physically and psychologically tired of watching him play for us. A virtually pointless player, he isn't a playmaker, he isn't a striker, he isn't a CM ... I cannot honestly believe that many fans think he's played well.
Sums up how i feel also. Soul destroying to see him in the starting line-up as we rarely win when he plays.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fellaini is a constant reminder of how far United have fallen after Fergie. I'd have thought a manager with LVG's experience would see through his mediocrity and get rid.

Perrick Dubois

He did have his best run of form for us in the diamond I think you are describing, last season when we beat spurs/liverpool/city. He seemed to get found out pretty quickly though.

His best position is definitely number 10 but it encourages a brand of football we shouldn't really be aspiring to.
The 4-3-3 when Herrera was playing as an #8 and Fellaini was playing as a sort of #810ish player. At the end of the day there is about 6 players in our squad where you can say "he needs the freedom and to have the system allow him freedom for it to work" and you can roll the dice and pick one. Mata, Rooney, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger. There really isn't a proper combination in the lot of midfield and attacking midfield options we possess.

I think that 4-3-3 when we were forced to had Carrick at the base and it allowed Fellaini and Herrera the freedom. Schweinsteiger is not mobile enough and Schneiderlin is not a good enough passer of the ball. The whole thing is a bit of a soupy mess of players who don't really work with each other as a 2DM imo. Even Herrera-Schneiderlin was a bit up and down.

Fellaini is a constant reminder of how far United have fallen after Fergie. I'd have thought a manager with LVG's experience would see through his mediocrity and get rid.
These types of comments keep popping up and they just mean absolutely sod all. You could say that about plenty of players for is. "Rooney just epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Getting rid of 5 young Mancs before they got a shot and then literally having no players to play epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Daley Blind starting 45 games at CB for a top club epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Signing Schweinsteiger and expecting him to be more than a bit part experience player guiding the squad epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie".

It's just silly waffle that adds nothing to the discussion.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
As I said before, passion/fight/call it what you want isnt really something that anyone can statistically measure. Passion is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. What I do think is beyond doubt is that Fellaini has proven himself to have a certain mental fortitude, if based upon nothing other than his form last season after a) nearly being sold and b) being boo'd in pre-season by our own fans. He has always been someone who will keep their chin up when the chips are down - you could even argue that his current situation with supporters cheering him being substituted etc is further evidence that he doesnt simply curl up into a shell when the going gets tough.

I know this post will be met with a response of "but is that enough to merit a place in the United starting XI?" and the answer is obviously no, but I feel that you need to have at least some players in the team who dont back down from a fight, especially in some of the more heated games in the PL. Additionally there is the simple difference in opinion on Fellaini's technical abilities, which I think are constantly underrated on here (which isnt to say that he is some sort of midfield maestro, but simply that he isnt anything like as bad as people make out).
I don't really think his form last season showed that great a mental fortitude, though. He went from being awful to quite decent, with an admittedly excellent spell which came at a time when we were playing some of our best football since Fergie left.

Like...it was good and that, but I don't think it was anything spectacular. Any criticism he received was comparatively minor to the worst abuses a footballer can receive (seriously, a few boos is nothing compared to what can happen to some players), and he was still playing for a massive club with what I'm going to guess is a very comfortable wage. I mean, yeah...it was decent and all, but I don't think it was anything remarkable. I don't think it was any better than Smalling stepping up after years of doubt and becoming our main defender. And it's certainly not as massive as Rashford being thrown into the team and scoring two braces, or Martial essentially being our main attacking outlet despite still being an inexperienced teenager.

His mental fortitude, or whatever we'll call it, is...well, fine. But I don't think having a good season after a really poor one shows magnificent character. It's decent, yeah. But nothing brilliant, that isn't done on a regular basis.

And, again, on the pitch, I don't see any of this supposed fashion. He lumbers about, with occasional bursts of energy when he feels like it at either end of the pitch. I genuinely just don't see the argument for him being this passion-filled, resilient character. He's not. Or, if he is, he's no more so than other players in our team. It just feels like an excuse for him being a bit rubbish for us when it comes to actually playing football, used because he's big and physical...the type of players who are often stereotypically tagged as being full of fight or passion.

Perrick Dubois

Did you hear the crowd when he got up to come on. The City fans cheered him loudly then Darmian went down and they booed, the gaff got out into the technical area then sat him down and the crowd booed again really loud. Lol, poor guy getting dogs abuse from all angles. Glad he didn't play today, probably best to wait for the animosity to die down a bit and I prefer Schneiderlin in midfield myself anyway.

Roboc7

Exactly. He may put in a decent individual performance at times but he brings others around him down.
Yeah definitely I think he is difficult to play with and doesn't fit in with the other players, all our other midfielders look worse playing with him. He was better at Everton because they were set up to play to his strengths, it's no coincidence our results are worse when he plays.

Sylar

Exactly. He may put in a decent individual performance at times but he brings others around him down.
And I think thats because when hes on the pitch, its all played to his strengths to make him look good (more longer balls, etc) but it just doesnt suit anybody else around him. We play much better without him. We have a better record without him. We went on a nice little run without him and as soon as he was fit, he was put back in and we went to poo again.

stevoc

And I think thats because when hes on the pitch, its all played to his strengths to make him look good (more longer balls, etc) but it just doesnt suit anybody else around him. We play much better without him. We have a better record without him. We went on a nice little run without him and as soon as he was fit, he was put back in and we went to poo again.
Yep everyone but LVG notices that it seems.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
– United’s record (all competitions) this season when Fellaini starts: P18, W6, D6, L6.
– United’s record (all competitions) this season when Fellaini doesn’t start: P29, W16, D7, L6.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
– United’s record (all competitions) this season when Fellaini starts: P18, W6, D6, L6.
– United’s record (all competitions) this season when Fellaini doesn’t start: P29, W16, D7, L6.
Feck me. I know win/loss records when certain players play can be misleading, but that's pretty damning. We're clearly a better team without.

Last edited:

ravi2

Wow!
LVG is just a terrible terrible coach for continually starting him, and always in the cm position no less.

Loublaze

ATLien
The 4-3-3 when Herrera was playing as an #8 and Fellaini was playing as a sort of #810ish player. At the end of the day there is about 6 players in our squad where you can say "he needs the freedom and to have the system allow him freedom for it to work" and you can roll the dice and pick one. Mata, Rooney, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger. There really isn't a proper combination in the lot of midfield and attacking midfield options we possess.

I think that 4-3-3 when we were forced to had Carrick at the base and it allowed Fellaini and Herrera the freedom. Schweinsteiger is not mobile enough and Schneiderlin is not a good enough passer of the ball. The whole thing is a bit of a soupy mess of players who don't really work with each other as a 2DM imo. Even Herrera-Schneiderlin was a bit up and down.

These types of comments keep popping up and they just mean absolutely sod all. You could say that about plenty of players for is. "Rooney just epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Getting rid of 5 young Mancs before they got a shot and then literally having no players to play epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Daley Blind starting 45 games at CB for a top club epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie", "Signing Schweinsteiger and expecting him to be more than a bit part experience player guiding the squad epitomizes how far we've fallen after Fergie".

It's just silly waffle that adds nothing to the discussion.
Felliani is UTTER shit though. Those other players you mentioned are not

Ji_Maria

Give the man a break - we was massive for us at times last season after taking a lot of heat under Moyes. He earned at least a warm farewell from us.

Loublaze

ATLien
Give the man a break - we was massive for us at times last season after taking a lot of heat under Moyes. He earned at least a warm farewell from us.
I'll be elated when he leaves and i'll try my best to refrain from being too harsh.

Perrick Dubois

UTTER.

Feck me. I know win/loss records when certain players play can be misleading, but that's pretty damning. We're clearly a better team without.
It is clearly coincidental. For example in the league, with Blind and De Gea in the team we've P30, W14, D8 and L8. Those are horrible numbers, completely coincidental with the fact that they've played pretty much every game.

iKeano

No & no. He was less crap for us a few times last year. He's earned nothing from us except the millions Utd have been paying him to be less-than-competent. I genuinely think we could have got a tall non-league player who would have been more effective over the past 3 seasons. He's the worst player in my living memory to wear a Utd jersey.

Jacob

It's not his fault that he was recruited for a job he couldn't do. Moyes should've know that Fellaini was always going to be a square peg in a round hole.

Ji_Maria

No & no. He was less crap for us a few times last year. He's earned nothing from us except the millions Utd have been paying him to be less-than-competent. I genuinely think we could have got a tall non-league player who would have been more effective over the past 3 seasons. He's the worst player in my living memory to wear a Utd jersey.
He did score some very crucial goals for us coming on as a sub, and was very handy against Arsenal.

iKeano

It's not his fault that he was recruited for a job he couldn't do. Moyes should've know that Fellaini was always going to be a square peg in a round hole.
Irrespective of whether or not it's his "fault".... He is a terrible footballer.

iKeano

He did score some very crucial goals for us coming on as a sub, and was very handy against Arsenal.
He scored a few goals... And you cite one game in 3 years when he was handy.

A broken clock is correct twice a day.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So you're saying that we shouldn't criticize bad players at all?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Moyes is incredible. Sign a player every man and his dog knew we shouldn't have signed then refuse to play him in his best position because of what people might say.

Djemba-Djemba

I would hope that's it now for Fellaini in a Utd shirt.

We just play better without him. He might be the first Utd signing I remember where everyone knew he would be shite, said he would be shite and then he was shite. The fans knew better than the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.