Marouane Fellaini gets 12 month contract extension clause triggered

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Any minute now...

'She cannae take the strain captain'

izec

Hopefully to keep the value. Extending contract with shite perfomances shouldnt be the goal

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Eh. I'm still very sure he'll leave in the summer.

Tarrou

BBC saying we've triggered a clause to extend his contract until 2018

edit: sorry didn't see the new thread

Woodzy

Only extending by 12 months implies to me that we don't see a long term future for him. Just trying to maximise his value I guess.

Either way, since the Everton scandal I don't think he's been huge problem, mainly because we don't play him all that much (it that he played much against Everton).

Woodzy

Hang on. Did his contract originally expire this year? I'm reading that he has extended till 2018 which would seem to be the case. If true, it would have been stupid not to trigger the extension!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Extension is not the right word there, they merely picked up an option which they previously had in his contract. It obviously means more control and money if they were to sell him or keep him.

Tarrou

Would be silly not to whether we plan to keep him or not, he still has some value in the market

I suspect Jose wants to keep him next year though

djdhrubs

I forgot that everyone signed recently has been put on these 4 year contracts.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hang on. Did his contract originally expire this year? I'm reading that he has extended till 2018 which would seem to be the case. If true, it would have been stupid not to trigger the extension!
He signed a 4 year deal in 2013, so it would've expired this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure he deserves a contract extension, he's been okay for us but I don't think we should be looking to keep hold of him at all, hopefully it's so we can get some extra money when it comes to selling him.

Woodzy

He signed a 4 year deal in 2013, so it would've expired this summer.
I didn't realise that. It says it all that he got down to the last 6 months of his contract without any reported interest from other teams (although I'm sure that almost any team below mid table would snap him up for free without a second thought).

Hopefully this extension will fetch us £10 million or so in the summer.

dichinero

It's the manager's perogative at the end of the day but I fail to see how keeping him shows any intention of forward thinking and progress in the long term

shaky

It's the manager's perogative at the end of the day but I fail to see how keeping him shows any intention of forward thinking and progress in the long term
Yeah, best just let him leave on a free transfer at the end of the season. Who needs money anyway.

davidmichael

I don't see it being anything other than he could have left on a free in the summer so the club activated the optional extra year.

With Pereira coming back in the summer as well as Fosu-Mensah and Blind added to Herrera, Carrick, Pogba, Rooney and Mata it's likely that Fellaini will follow Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger out the door especially if we're genuinely trying get Bakayoko from Monaco.

AkaAkuma

It makes sense to me. I don't see any club outside of china paying us enough money to tempt us in releasing a competent 5th/6th choice midfielder.

dichinero

Yeah, best just let him leave on a free transfer at the end of the season. Who needs money anyway.
Well it is not clear if the manager wants to keep him beyond this season which is my poinit

arthurka

I think he is gash.. But who am I. Three managers have kept faith in him and stuck with him even if he is shit.. There must be something there.

Sir A1ex

After massively over-reacting to the Evertincident, I have now entirely revised my previously abject opinion of Fellaini.

Let it be recorded that I know have faith that he may actually be just about good enough to make the occasional late sub appearance for United in specific circumstances. Maybe.

So, well done Marouane, you've proved many of us wrong.

arthurka

After massively over-reacting to the Evertincident, I have now entirely revised my previously abject opinion of Fellaini.

Let it be recorded that I know have faith that he may actually be just about good enough to make the occasional late sub appearance for United in specific circumstances. Maybe.

So, well done Marouane, you've proved many of us wrong.
This.. But with a bit more maybe..

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I would think the club are just trying to preserve his value. Had he been seen a long term project he'd have been offered a longer contract.

DatGuyRich

How can people be against him signing a new contract?

His current one was due to run out in less than 6 months time. A new contract doesn't mean he won't be sold, at least it means we can recieve a substantial fee for him should we decide to.

Reactions: Sultan

Amir

We did the same with Berbatov once. Only problem was we didn't manage to sell him that whole summer and ended up giving him to Fulham for very little.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn't mean much, just 1 more years value if we want to sell.

Dante

Average bang
You doubters do realise that Mourinho frequently brings Fellaini on in the last few minutes of minutes, and regularly rotates him with other midfielders? The manager clearly values him as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.