Marouane Fellaini signs new contract until 2020 with option of a further year

el3mel

Are you kidding me?
Fellaini unzipped the defence that KDB & Hazard found difficult to do. Of what essence is tippy-tappy when a defeat looms ahead and you have Fellaini in the squad?

Like I said....Fellaini is a valuable plan B asset. If the plan A works very well, you don’t need Fellaini. However, when plan A suffers a setback, I don’t think there’s anyone better than him in the world that can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
I'm sarcastic here.

United Pro

The amount of hate Fellaini has gotten over the past week is actually embarrassing from fans.

Shimo

Hats off to him. He contributed far more than just the goal in that he was getting on the ball more than just in the box, heck he was ending up on the right wing at times and causing problems for Japan. Obviously his presence in the box was also a big factor as well.

Am still unsure what he has done that constituted disrespect towards the club that have made people get even more hateful towards him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The hate comes from the fact that they think he can't play silky football.
Well, perhaps, in a manner of speaking.

You could also say that for many he's closely associated with what they perceive as José's one-dimensional/reactive/outdated/whatever approach.

And in that group you will find different types:

- Those who detest José.
- Those who don't like his brand of football.
- Those who don't think his use of so-called hoofball tactics is particularly effective, all things said and done (there are alternatives that may be both easier on the eye and more productive).

Like I said above, he needs to deliver. If he does, with Fellaini playing a part, people will shut up and give him (and Fellaini) due credit. Well, some won't - but reasonable United fans will.

Hasn't happened yet, though. Fellaini scoring the odd goal obviously won't convince anyone they were wrong all along.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Hats off to him. He contributed far more than just the goal in that he was getting on the ball more than just in the box, heck he was ending up on the right wing at times and causing problems for Japan. Obviously his presence in the box was also a big factor as well.

Am still unsure what he has done that constituted disrespect towards the club that have made people get even more hateful towards him.
He made some random move 5 years ago against Bayern that ended up a throw-in for Munich basically having no influence whatsoever on the scoreline. Literally.

Sylar

I dont think he should be a Plan B for United. Plan C however yeah.
If things arent going well for us, id rather see us bring on some players before him. However if its still not working, yeah final 5-10 minutes, lump it to him to change it around. Id hope we wouldnt do that with 30-40 mins left...

It was a good header today. But saying that, at United he would probably still be left waiting for Young to put it onto his right foot to cross or putting his head down cos the Valencia cross bounces away off the defenders ankles.

fallengt

Scores a header against midgets and this place explodes. Love it
Prepare for a Fellaini season lads

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well how often has Fellaini been used as a plan B as opposed to how often Martial, Rashford and Mata have been used? Do you have actual numbers to show this?
Since Fellaini was injured for most of the 2nd half of 17/18 its pretty much a given that he was not often used as a plan B so we can look at 16/17. Of course we can't just look at sub appearances because a lot of subs are a few minutes long and are used to waste time and defend the lead rather than a plan B. So lets look at sub appearances that were at least 10 minutes, and see how often they were from a drawing or losing position.

In 16/17 Fellaini came on as a sub for at least 10 minutes 13 times with 6 coming from drawing or losing positions. 1 sub appearance was however a forced sub due to an injury to Pogba so won't be counted as a plan B. So Fellaini came on as a plan B 5 times in 16/17.

Using the same metrics we have the following for 16/17:

Fellaini - 5
Martial - 5
Rashford - 11
Mata - 8

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, and the treatment of Sterling has nothing to do with his ethnicity.

If Fellaini was a white, British guy, he would get no where near the level of piss taking and snide remarks that he does. He gets far more respect outside the UK than he does here. Ditto for Pogba.

RedTiger

Half mast
Yeah, and the treatment of Sterling has nothing to do with his ethnicity.

If Fellaini was a white, British guy, he would get no where near the level of piss taking and snide remarks that he does. He gets far more respect outside the UK than he does here. Ditto for Pogba.
I honestly don't think the hate has anything to do with his ethnicity or religion. It's mostly because he reminds people of Moyes and he seems to be a symbol of Jose's containing tactics.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I honestly don't think the hate has anything to do with his ethnicity or religion. It's mostly because he reminds people of Moyes and he seems to be a symbol of Jose's containing tactics.
It’s more prejudice than frothing at the mouth racism. He’ll always be prejudged because of how he looks.

Look at all the shit thrown at Pogba because of his appearance. Proper footballing men expect proper footballers to look like Robson and Moore so criticise his appearance all the time, because commenting on his hairstyles is acceptable.

clarkydaz

It’s more prejudice than frothing at the mouth racism. He’ll always be prejudged because of how he looks.

Look at all the shit thrown at Pogba because of his appearance. Proper footballing men expect proper footballers to look like Robson and Moore so criticise his appearance all the time, because commenting on his hairstyles is acceptable.
Phil Jones is mocked on how he looks

maniwin

Arguably best plan B on planet when used right , the game completely change to Belgium favor after he came on. Belgium would be on plane if they didn't have him He isn't just being tall & Physical , he put different dimension on the game that nobody likes to deal with , many people in our fanbase failed to see it , although of course , top coaches & other footballer rate him well.

Last edited:

ti vu

The interview. I don't hate him or anything but I am resigned to let him go reading about that interview. He's clearly undermined the club there. Even though eventually he bowed down to the club offer, but the damage was already done.

Anyways, like a new signing with these kind of performance

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's hilarious that most of his supporters have maintained he's not good enough to be a starting XI player but can be a useful impact sub and even after THAT match his critics would still deny that.

If you watched that match and compared Belgium's performance before and after he came on the difference was night and day. The goal was just the icing on top.

Good for Fellaini and happy to have him as a SQUAD player for another couple of years.
That is the most ridiculous part here. We are arguing he is a very good squad player. It is really difficult to find a squad player good enough to cover up but not good enough to get disgruntled if they don't play

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
What people don't realize is he isn't just a "hoof the ball up" plan B such as Peter crouch.

His role is more behind the striker using physicality and chest control to open up space for others to make runs around him. And yes that should not be our primary tactic but it ads another dimension to our squad.

As for those that say "but real don't have a plan b" well feck them. The plan B might be the reason we beat them if we meet them!

forevrared

I don't think the argument is really about whether he's effective as a target player. It's more of a philosophical argument about what we each believe Manchester United football is and what it should be. Fellaini and by extension Mourinho, Van Gaal, Moyes are antithetical to what we'd been acustomted to for the better part of 3 decades -- some of us our entire United supporting lives.

It's not an easy pill to swallow, and some will have a harder time than others. I don't enjoy our style of play nearly as much these days, but I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Don't get the hate this guy gets. He's a fantastic option to have on the bench and seems happy enough to sit on the bench.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Fellaini - 5
Liverpool (PL) On (76) at 0-1. End result 1-1 (Ibra).

Hull (LC) On very late at 1-2 (end result).

B'mouth (PL) On (70) at 1-1 (end result).

Rostov (EL) On right after the break at 0-0. End result 1-0 (Mata).

Anderlecht (EL) On (60) at 1-1. End result 2-1 aet (Rashford).

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His role and its effectiveness this evening was no surprise or accident. That’s what he does. Of course we’d rather have a team that doesn’t require his services. So would Belgium. But if he starts the majority of matches on the bench next season, he’ll remain an asset.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I've been critical of him. But if he comes off the bench and saves a Belgium team full of Hazard(s), KDB, Lukaku, Mertens, Witsel, Carrasco, etc. then fair play to him. He always gives it his all. A good plan B. And that's not a bad thing in a long season.

stevoc

Since Fellaini was injured for most of the 2nd half of 17/18 its pretty much a given that he was not often used as a plan B so we can look at 16/17. Of course we can't just look at sub appearances because a lot of subs are a few minutes long and are used to waste time and defend the lead rather than a plan B. So lets look at sub appearances that were at least 10 minutes, and see how often they were from a drawing or losing position.

In 16/17 Fellaini came on as a sub for at least 10 minutes 13 times with 6 coming from drawing or losing positions. 1 sub appearance was however a forced sub due to an injury to Pogba so won't be counted as a plan B. So Fellaini came on as a plan B 5 times in 16/17.

Fellaini - 5
Martial - 5
Rashford - 11
Mata - 8
I was looking into the same thing on sunday for the 16/17 season and i have it as Fellaini coming on in 8 games we were losing/drawing granted one of them was the 90' minute which we shouldn't count and the Chelsea game where as you say he came on for an injury.

Burnley 73' score 0-0, finished 0-0
West Ham 85' Score 1-1, finished 1-1
Liverpool 76' score 1-0,finished 1-1
Hull 90' score 2-1,finished 2-1
Bournemouth 70'' score 1-1, finished 1-1
Chelsea 37'' score 0-0, finished 1-0 Pogba injury?
Rostov 48'' score 0-0, finished 1-0
Anderlect 60'' score 1-1, finished 1-0

To be honest i'm not sure a direct comparison can be made between players like Rashford and Fellaini being used as a plan B. When Rashford comes on he will largely play the same role/position as if he started and/or the same role of the player he was replacing, Martial a lot of the times. When Fellaini is brought on in those situations he plays in a different role (target man) than he would if he started in midfield, and the team often changes tactics to hit it direct to him.

Plus with Rashford Mouinho plays him in almost every game, if he doesn't start he comes on as a sub whether we winning, losing or drawing.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Would argue he has one of the stronger mentalities in the squad. Never shirks anything, doesn't let mistakes/criticism affect him, always fights and puts himself about. Pleased for him.

Foxbatt

I have always said that Fellaini is a weapon any team would use if the initial plan is not working. He is such a difficult guy to deal with and especially in the box. He would have scored or caused trouble a lot more for Japan if only Hazard would try to put in more crosses instead of trying to dribble through the Japanese defense. The one time he put in a decent cross Fellaini scored. He will create problems for Brazil if he comes on and if Hazard and others start getting the ball in the air.
The main reason why we won the Europa was Ajax could not get near to Fellaini.

maniwin

How often does plan B work anyway?
All the time, it's not about how many goals or assist he scored, it's about giving his team a different dimension and give enemy team something very different to deal with, still remember we start dominating Madrid ( in super cup ) after he went in, his ability to bring the ball down from awkward height is second to none. Imagine yourself as opposition defender or coach would you laugh inside whenever you see Fellaini being subbed on ? if any you would have cursed "feck sake" cause nobody likes to deal with what he can do. He is literally a Goat Plan B

Last edited:

jean-louis feys

Supports
standard de liège
A journalist told yesterday" Marouane is like a Swiss knife: you have a problem in the defense, you'll bring Marouane, you have a problem in the attack, you'll bring Marouane."

Last edited by a moderator:

GM K

There are some people in almost every organisation. They are not spectacular. They are not the most talented. Yet their bosses are somehow convinced they are irreplaceable. It often has a lot to do with their attitude and work rate. Fellaini is not strange. We football fans many times, forget that football clubs are way more than the spectacle we see on the pitch. They are organisations with most of their time behind the cameras. The people involved see daily. They talk. They interact. They practice. Is there something about Fellaini most fans know little about that makes his managers swear by him? I am willing to bet there is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't get the hate this guy gets. He's a fantastic option to have on the bench and seems happy enough to sit on the bench.
Key words there, we're all happy for him to be an impact sub, but Jose unfortunately has a habit of playing him from the start in bigger games.

The fact he started him in the CL at home to Sevilla after he'd been out injured for weeks, then proceeded to play like he wasn't fit really pissed many fans off.

Fellaini's a good AMC if you can force the other team back and get plenty of good crosses in the box, but he's not a central midfielder. He played him in a 2 with Matic ffs.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Key words there, we're all happy for him to be an impact sub, but Jose unfortunately has a habit of playing him from the start in bigger games.

The fact he started him in the CL at home to Sevilla after he'd been out injured for weeks, then proceeded to play like he wasn't fit really pissed many fans off.

Fellaini's a good AMC if you can force the other team back and get plenty of good crosses in the box, but he's not a central midfielder. He played him in a 2 with Matic ffs.
Last season it happened rarely though.
Vs City - Injured for one game and not in squad for other
Vs Spurs - Injured for home game, played 7 mins in away and 1 min in FA cup semi finals
Vs Liverpool Injured for away game and played 20 mins in home game
Vs Chelsea - Played 28 mins in home game and injured for away game. Missed FA cup finals because of injury
Vs Arsenal - Injured for away game and played 26 mins in home game.

2016-17 was different though as we had only Pogba and Herrera as midfield options (or better midfield options).

Only big game he started was against Sevilla.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I was looking into the same thing on sunday for the 16/17 season and i have it as Fellaini coming on in 8 games we were losing/drawing granted one of them was the 90' minute which we shouldn't count and the Chelsea game where as you say he came on for an injury.

Burnley 73' score 0-0, finished 0-0
West Ham 85' Score 1-1, finished 1-1
Liverpool 76' score 1-0,finished 1-1
Hull 90' score 2-1,finished 2-1
Bournemouth 70'' score 1-1, finished 1-1
Chelsea 37'' score 0-0, finished 1-0 Pogba injury?
Rostov 48'' score 0-0, finished 1-0
Anderlect 60'' score 1-1, finished 1-0

To be honest i'm not sure a direct comparison can be made between players like Rashford and Fellaini being used as a plan B. When Rashford comes on he will largely play the same role/position as if he started and/or the same role of the player he was replacing, Martial a lot of the times. When Fellaini is brought on in those situations he plays in a different role (target man) than he would if he started in midfield, and the team often changes tactics to hit it direct to him.

Plus with Rashford Mouinho plays him in almost every game, if he doesn't start he comes on as a sub whether we winning, losing or drawing.
Id hesitate to count West ham and Hull since there is so little time to affect the game especially against Hull since he came on not as a plan B but to disrupt the game because were were going through on aggregate.

Mourinho has said many times that he likes the directness of Rashford. So bringing off Lingard, Mata or Martial for Rashford is imo a legitimate plan B. Because Rashford brings different qualities to the game. Id also say thats why Rashford (and Fellaini) are so praised by the manager, because they are always trying to affect the game instead of being passive.

MUFC OK

Scores a header against midgets and this place explodes. Love it
Prepare for a Fellaini season lads
It's a joke, peoples memories are so short and suddenly he's this hard done by figure who plastic fans love to hate because they don't like what he represents.

Surprise surprise, he scored a header against Japan and played okay as a centre-forward/second striker. It has never been in doubt that he is effective in that role, but it's the way he keeps appearing as a holding midfielder that bothers most due to his immobility, poor positioning and poor passing accuracy.

MUFC OK

A journalist told yesterday" Marouane is like a Swiss knife: you have a problem in the defense, you'll bring Marouane, you have a problem in the attack, you'll bring Marouane."
Marouane brings problems in defence, he's capable of throwing an elbow at any moment, a liability.