Martial as our 9

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We can, but what's the betting that Perez is rubbing his hands with excitement every time that Martial scores. If his scoring rate continues in the same vein as it is at the moment you can expect Perez/Real interest from January onwards.
:lol:

Yes, they have probably already made two bids and there's an 85% chance they will get him in January. There has not been a footballer at United who didn't go to Real.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This Real/Barca joke is really getting on my tits. We are fecking Manchester United.

RedorDead21

There is a guy named Pele and you think about Fowler and Owen? :nono:
If I contemplate the apparent pressure this guy is and was under I think so far I could argue he eclipses most of those names. As far as scrutiny is concerned I believe he's under the microscope to a level all those at 19 didn't come close to.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I contemplate the apparent pressure this guy is and was under I think so far I could argue he eclipses most of those names. As far as scrutiny is concerned I believe he's under the microscope to a level all those at 19 didn't come close to.
Pele was the starter for the Seleçao, there is nothing bigger than that.

RedorDead21

Pele was the starter for the Seleçao, there is nothing bigger than that.
Err the press coverage for Martial's fee and its 2015 make it not comparable. This is Man United high click territory.....in a social media world!

JPRouve

Scout
Err the press coverage for Martial's fee and its 2015 make it not comparable. This is Man United high click territory.....in a social media world!
I disagree, the expectation was way bigger on Pele or even Messi with Argentina than it is on Martial, and players aren't hostage of the press or social media, us fans are more affected than the players.

RedorDead21

I disagree, the expectation was way bigger on Pele or even Messi with Argentina than it is on Martial, and players aren't hostage of the press or social media, us fans are more affected than the players.
I like you. I like your thoughts. Not sure I can agree in this instance. The English Media is savage when it comes to this and us.

JPRouve

Scout
But JP its great hey what Martial is doing also under abit of stress albeit no one is expecting a Pele like future.
I agree it's great, there is some pressure due to the transfer but he said himself that the price wasn't his problem, he only feels the pressure of the results and that pressure isn't the biggest thing seen in football, no one expect him to set the world on fire this season, the opposition fans are in the corner waiting for him to stumble but it's always the case.
The pressure on Benzema with France and Real Madrid is bigger for example, after every games he is destroyed by the french press. United isn't an hostile environment, the main pressure is internal.

dsch

Not sure where to put this, but just saw this on Reddit:

RedorDead21

I agree it's great, there is some pressure due to the transfer but he said himself that the price wasn't his problem, he only feels the pressure of the results and that pressure isn't the biggest thing seen in football, no one expect him to set the world on fire this season, the opposition fans are in the corner waiting for him to stumble but it's always the case.
The pressure on Benzema with France and Real Madrid is bigger for example, after every games he is destroyed by the french press. United isn't an hostile environment, the main pressure is internal.
I dont except that Benzema is under more pressure but thats ok each to his own. I think our own fans can be quite hostile. I think back to nani getting booed off after a bank of good years behind him in some respects. Nonetheless your opinion is as worthy as mine. I just think from what
I have seen thus far he can actually impact our title assault.....which is crazy for one so young!

RedStarUnited

Owen or Fowler would have to be up there.
original Ronaldo too. He had a simply amazing goals to games ratio. He was the first player in my lifetime to make scoring look so easy. Lord knows what he could have been if he avoided injuries.

Jerch

:lol::lol: haha burn

Wenger: "I nearly bought Martial".......

TBF it was stupid from Wenger to talking negative about this transfer after transfer window in which he didn't signed any outfield players. It can only leave him with egg on his face. And a fact that he said he sees him as a winger and compared him to Walcott, Welbeck and Chamberlian who are bad at finishing while it looks this is Martial strong side just show that he 1) didn't scout him at all or 2) can't really evaluate players properly.

Interesting thing about Martial is that LVG already said twice that is was the right time to bring him on because the defense was open. That, at least to me, tells that he will play against top sides who will come and try to play against us rather then put 10 players behind the ball and that he probably showed in the training that he can make runs behind the defense, something it didn't happened yet since. If he has that in the locked he could be lethal.

I don't want to be caught by hype but he looks like a great striker and so far he showed great ability in close control, hold up play, dribbling and finishing. I just hope he can continue his form and never look back.

Red Comet

This Real/Barca joke is really getting on my tits. We are fecking Manchester United.
Doesn't stop us from losing a lot of top players to Real Madrid in the past. De Gea would have been another one on the list there if not Perez f**king it up.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Whatever the quality of the opposition that was another splendidly taken goal. Excellent link up with Memphis and another cool finish. Hopefully he's able to play plenty this season because we carry a real threat when he's on the pitch.

Have to be careful and patient with him though. At the moment he seems to be running on pure adrenalin. van Gaal may need to judge carefully when to pull him out for a couple of games to give his body rest and to keep him fresh.
Wouldn't call that a linkup. He just stole the ball away from Memphis. It was a "Thanks, but I'll take it from here" moment. :lol:

Dante

Average bang
After he signed for us, I went back and downloaded a few of his performances for Monaco. The thing I was most impressed by was his dribbling. He's barely shown any of that for us yet. I'm hopeful he's got another level to go up in the next few months.

In terms of adapting to getting special attention from opposition defenders, I honestly don't think he'll struggle. He has too much about him to get marked out of a game. Possibly more than any other teenage striker I've seen since Anelka. I reckon Martial's ceiling is higher, though. If he can add a bit of creativity to his game, the Henry comparisons won't look as absurd as they did when he first joined.

Sereques

After he signed for us, I went back and downloaded a few of his performances for Monaco. The thing I was most impressed by was his dribbling. He's barely shown any of that for us yet. I'm hopeful he's got another level to go up in the next few months.

In terms of adapting to getting special attention from opposition defenders, I honestly don't think he'll struggle. He has too much about him to get marked out of a game. Possibly more than any other teenage striker I've seen since Anelka. I reckon Martial's ceiling is higher, though. If he can add a bit of creativity to his game, the Henry comparisons won't look as absurd as they did when he first joined.
It's about WILL rather than ability. ADM also have the ability, but the moment defenders paid attention to him, he lost interest. He must be willing to do it, he must be willing to ride the adversity. That is what will make him a world class player.

Jerch

Wouldn't call that a linkup. He just stole the ball away from Memphis. It was a "Thanks, but I'll take it from here" moment. :lol:
Yeah i noticed that myself but it takes a lot of confidence to do that which is only good thing especially since he scored.

edit: but it looks like Memphis was not to happy about it :p

Dante

Average bang
It's about WILL rather than ability. ADM also have the ability, but the moment defenders paid attention to him, he lost interest. He must be willing to do it, he must be willing to ride the adversity. That is what will make him a world class player.
ADM had the upper body strength of Stephen Hawking. He pussied out of every challenge that anybody made on him. By contrast, Martial looks like a right hard bastard.

Sereques

ADM had the upper body strength of Stephen Hawking. He pussied out of every challenge that anybody made on him. By contrast, Martial looks like a right hard bastard.
When CR7 was here, he was targeted several times, at some point, the Ref even stop blowing free kicks for him. Despite all that, it never prevented him from doing what he does best. He kept going at them. That was not possible because of his body strength or whatever you want to call it. The player himself must be willing to do these things. Upper body don't move themselves.

My point is, the biggest enemy to Martial is Martial himself. He needs to be determined to be the best. He has all the tools, the rest his up to him.

Akshay

Staff
When CR7 was here, he was targeted several times, at some point, the Ref even stop blowing free kicks for him. Despite all that, it never prevented him from doing what he does best. He kept going at them. That was not possible because of his body strength or whatever you want to call it. The player himself must be willing to do these things. Upper body don't move themselves.

My point is, the biggest enemy to Martial is Martial himself. He needs to be determined to be the best. He has all the tools, the rest his up to him.
Tbf, Ronaldo's problem was partly the reputation he had built up for himself by diving/exaggerating in his first couple of seasons. Even when he started cutting down on it, the reputation lingered. I don't think Martial will have the same kind of problem, especially since he isn't a winger who will be on the ball constantly. There won't be that many opportunities for defenders to scythe him down, and most of the time they'd be risking cards/penalties to do so.

Of course, he will probably get targeted by niggling little fouls more but he seems fine with the physical aspect of the game, like how he handled Lovren's hacking on his debut against Liverpool. I don't think he will collapse like Di Maria at the very least.

markhrad

My concern is not this, however, none of his goals so far involved an assist from midfield. I hope to see our midfield actively trying to set him up our last set of strikers were starved.

Dante

Average bang
I compare him to Anelka and hours later Rio does the same in the papers. I think Martial's got a slightly better touch than Anelka did at that age, though.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I'm almost certain he isn't.
why? If we've bought him for £36m odd rising to mid 50s, how much do you think it'd take to buy him!
After the De Gea debacle? I would think Perez will be extremely wary of attempting to poach one of our players in future. He already looks a right cnut, and a repeat failure would probably see him out of a job.

Yes, they have probably already made two bids and there's an 85% chance they will get him in January. There has not been a footballer at United who didn't go to Real.
Extremely pleased you're all so confident about this. Hope you're right, but I'll bet that Perez/Real show an interest. Time will tell.