Martial as our 9

jem

The difference in terms of talent and attitude is so clear that if we were still in the 90s using the iconic 4-4-2 system than I'd fancy them playing together. Welbeck would be dropping deep and Martial would be the main striker.
Yeah, I meant more in the sense that Welbeck certainly looked the part of a classic forward, with great movement, physique, and some silky touches; but whereas there was never any doubt about Martial's scoring that second goal, you'd have put money on Welbeck chipping the ball right into the keeper's hands.

Riz

Yeah, I meant more in the sense that Welbeck certainly looked the part of a classic forward, with great movement, physique, and some silky touches; but whereas there was never any doubt about Martial's scoring that second goal, you'd have put money on Welbeck chipping the ball right into the keeper's hands.
:lol: Like the Neuer one. Either that or dribbling right up to the keeper then at the last minute toeing it against his shin for a corner.

Flying_Heckfish

One-on-one's can be tricky because it gives you almost too much time to think, and that's where Welbeck, or even the Rooney of the past 5 years, would have failed. With Martial, it's like missing doesn't even cross his mind. There's no relief when he scores, or over-celebration, he's just finishing the job.
That was a real issue for Welbeck. He could score some absolute beauties on instinct, but I would never back him when he had time to decide what to do. Perhaps he over-complicated it, or couldn't take the pressure of those situations. Martial looks worlds apart in that regard.

Revan

Assumptionman
The difference in terms of talent and attitude is so clear that if we were still in the 90s using the iconic 4-4-2 system than I'd fancy them playing together. Welbeck would be dropping deep and Martial would be the main striker.
Welbeck lacked the passing skills to play as second triker/No.10. He could do occasionally a good job in the pitbull role (which he did against Madrid/Alonso), but to be a good No.10 you need good passing skills.

I hope that at-least one of Adnan/Pereira can become great in that position. In my opinion, they have everything you need to be a success there, so it all depends on how hard they work and in their mentality.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The Henry comparison seems far closer than those of Welbeck.

pacifictheme

He's very composed for a 19 year old. Leading the line for such a young lad is incredible. He doesn't look "raw" at all. He will need time though. I think Van Gaal is doing a good thing by lowering expectations.
He does look great but he definitely still looks raw at times. Not an issue though. Hes had a dream start. Not even themuppetiest muppet expectedmore than a slow integration into the team. Hes exploded.

I'm a little concerned about the way the club are hyping him on social media though!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You can't really compare Wellbeck to Martial.
Martial would probably start for the top EPL clubs.
Wellbeck would never be a start for any top EPL club.
Even at Arsenal, who have a recognised striker shortage/problem - Wellbeck is not an automatic starter for them.

Re Martial
He is cool as ice and should continue as our first choice striker.
He is better than anything else we have at the moment, so we don't really have any choice.

Lynty

Looks like the perfect number 9 we were lacking. Can't wait to watch his development over the next 5 years.

There were a couple of counter attacks where I thought he should have made better runs to drag a defender away though, he sort of stayed parallel with whoever was carrying the ball. But we were 2 goals up at the time and non of the team where looking for blood.

RedRover

Looks like the perfect number 9 we were lacking. Can't wait to watch his development over the next 5 years.

There were a couple of counter attacks where I thought he should have made better runs to drag a defender away though, he sort of stayed parallel with whoever was carrying the ball. But we were 2 goals up at the time and non of the team where looking for blood.
I think his awareness is generally good. He's not always demanding the ball and just running in behind like some strikers do - he works the channels well.

Its exciting to see. He gives us another dimension and physically, as well as mentally looks like he's going to be a star. I'm not sure where it leaves Rooney who while he does a good job at number 10, there are others like Mata and Herrera who might push him hard for that role. That's a nice problem to have though.

Kudos to the club for backing themselves here - although I suspect even Van Gaal is surprised by the impact he's made so quickly after coming in.

RedRover

The Henry comparison seems far closer than those of Welbeck.
You never like to say that about a young player but if he's anywhere near the player Henry was then he'll be a great investment. I personally think he looks slightly different - leads the line and can hold play up. Henry liked to get the ball and run at defenders, although there are obvious similarities.

The comparison to Welbeck is just lazy. The one obvious positive that's stood out in watching Martial highlights Welbeck's weakness - composure. Further evidence for me that it's something you either have or you don't and if you're in the latter category, it's unlikely you're going to learn it.

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Considering how this summer it looked like there wasn't a single decent striker around for us to buy we are very lucky we managed to get this guy. He's perfect for us

Raw

Martial would probably start for the top EPL clubs.
Eh, he wouldn't start for City. He'll have to fight harder for a place ahead of Costa at Chelsea and Theo at Arsenal too. He's starting for us because he's really the only proper #9 we got.

IwatUwat

Trying not to get carried away. 2.3 games into his career. Lets not over hype him, as if the bubble does burst a bit and he goes on a drought or slightly worse performances people on here then wont go wild.

Lets just enjoy a lad who currently looks the part and is clearly bubbling in decent form. Good on him, great start to his career. He really has been great and given us a new option and dimension up top.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You never like to say that about a young player but if he's anywhere near the player Henry was then he'll be a great investment. I persoannly think he looks slightly different - leads the line and can hold play up. Henry liked to get the ball and run at defenders, although there are obvious similarities.

The comparison to Welbeck is just lazy. The one obvious positive that's stood out in watching Martial highlights Welbeck's weakness - composure. Further evidence for me that it's something you either have or you don't and if you;re the latter, it's unlikely you're going to learn it.
Bit of casual racism too. Lanky black bloke.

Lynty

You never like to say that about a young player but if he's anywhere near the player Henry was then he'll be a great investment. I persoannly think he looks slightly different - leads the line and can hold play up. Henry liked to get the ball and run at defenders, although there are obvious similarities.

The comparison to Welbeck is just lazy. The one obvious positive that's stood out in watching Martial highlights Welbeck's weakness - composure. Further evidence for me that it's something you either have or you don't and if you;re the latter, it's unlikely you're going to learn it.
Ye his awareness and positioning is generally superb for a player of his age and experience. There were just those two occasions where if he made a more aggressive/explosive counter, the backtracking defenders would have had a hard choice to make. If it was still 1-1 though, i'm positive he would have produced those runs.

RedRover

Bit of casual racism too. Lanky black bloke.
I suspect so, if a bit unintentional. It was like how Raheem Sterling was the next Shaun Wright-Phillips according to some - despite the obvious difference of him being a much, much better footballer.

RedRover

Ye his awareness and positioning is generally superb for a player of his age and experience. There were just those two occasions where if he made a more aggressive/explosive counter, the backtracking defenders would have had a hard choice to make. If it was still 1-1 though, i'm positive he would have produced those runs.
I agree. I think it'll come. He's good with the ball at his feet and looks to be a good athlete. You'd think United will try to do what they did with De Gea and Ronaldo and add a bit of size and strength without blunting his pace.

I'm not going to get too over-excited but he looks to have a hell of a lot of potential - all the fundamental skills needed, a decent attitude and confidence in abundance.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Welbeck lacked the passing skills to play as second triker/No.10. He could do occasionally a good job in the pitbull role (which he did against Madrid/Alonso), but to be a good No.10 you need good passing skills.

I hope that at-least one of Adnan/Pereira can become great in that position. In my opinion, they have everything you need to be a success there, so it all depends on how hard they work and in their mentality.
Im not a big fan of Danny boy but I think you're wrong on that one. Welbeck seems to be created to play in that role. He would drift deep, create chances, move forward and exploit the space created by the main striker. Martial and him would be a nightmare for defenders in a 4-4-2 system especially in quick counters. Its a shame that football had moved on. Welbeck would have been good for that role

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I suspect so, if a bit unintentional. It was like how Raheem Sterling was the next Shaun Wright-Phillips according to some - despite the obvious difference of him being a much, much better footballer.
Or any big muscular black forward is always the new Drogba...or Heskey if he's shit.

Loublaze

ATLien
Maybe he would've done this instead

Brightonian

That was a real issue for Welbeck. He could score some absolute beauties on instinct, but I would never back him when he had time to decide what to do. Perhaps he over-complicated it, or couldn't take the pressure of those situations. Martial looks worlds apart in that regard.
That was really the issue for Welbeck. Anything in the box that required composure, rather than just ability, and he'd screw it up. Outside of the box or acting on instinct inside it, he's a wonderful footballer. Given an instant, he can produce any finish you can imagine. With time to think about it beforehand, he crumbles.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not on the level of Martial. If you want to appreciate Martial technique, watch the first goal against So'ton over and over again. Do nothing but pay attention to the So'ton defender Vigril.
Welbeck was and is capable of doing that. Lets be honest here. His problem was consistency with finishing, and IMO he was getting better before RVP was bought and he was thrown out to the wings again. The season before RVP joined (11-12) was the only one where he was played as a proper CF throughout and he scored 13

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Welbeck was and is capable of doing that. Lets be honest here. His problem was consistency with finishing, and IMO he was getting better before RVP was bought and he was thrown out to the wings again. The season before RVP joined (11-12) was the only one where he was played as a proper CF throughout and he scored 13
Put welbeck in that position and he fecks it up 9 times out of 10. Either he falls over when doing the drag back and scuffs his shot, or shoots with his left and has it blocked, or misses the net, or just doesn't connect properly. I'm not even taking the piss, it's just what would happen with welbeck in that exact area. Welbeck isn't and will never be a reliable goalscorer because he just doesn't have that composure, natural footballing brain or goalscorers instinct like the top strikers. Martial looks like he definitely has it.

United again!

Put welbeck in that position and he fecks it up 9 times out of 10. Either he falls over when doing the drag back and scuffs his shot, or shoots with his left and has it blocked, or misses the net, or just doesn't connect properly. I'm not even taking the piss, it's just what would happen with welbeck in that exact area. Welbeck isn't and will never be a reliable goalscorer because he just doesn't have that composure, natural footballing brain or goalscorers instinct like the top strikers. Martial looks like he definitely has it.
:lol: Yeah, sure mate.

Sereques

Again, people babysitting players for been played out of position.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Welbeck would have tried to shoot first time, or tried to tee someone behind him up. He may be capable of such skill, but he wouldn't of thought of doing that. He lacks the composure. The excuse of him playing on the wing is tiresome. Yes, he's less likely to get goals from there but people are acting as if wingers never score. He wasted many goalscoring chances, even from wing positions.

Martial SEEMS to be a lot better than him already, but that's only going from 3 games. Comparing both as out-and-out forwards, it seems Martial has more in his locker. He's also able to co-ordinate his limbs, unlike Welbeck. Poor guy, he was like Crouch and Bambi's love child at times.

Loublaze

ATLien
Welbeck would have tried to shoot first time, or tried to tee someone behind him up. He may be capable of such skill, but he wouldn't of thought of doing that. He lacks the composure. The excuse of him playing on the wing is tiresome. Yes, he's less likely to get goals from there but people are acting as if wingers never score. He wasted many goalscoring chances, even from wing positions.

Martial SEEMS to be a lot better than him already, but that's only going from 3 games. Comparing both as out-and-out forwards, it seems Martial has more in his locker. He's also able to co-ordinate his limbs, unlike Welbeck. Poor guy, he was like Crouch and Bambi's love child at times.
Martial is better, but some of the Welbeck slating is simply unfair IMO. He's an Arsenal player now anyway so I don't really care to continue discussing him.

Sereques

Martial is better, but some of the Welbeck slating is simply unfair IMO. He's an Arsenal player now anyway so I don't really care to continue discussing him.
The attempt is not to slate him, I know what he can do and what he cannot do and I accept him for who he is. Claiming otherwise is the problem.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He just has so much more to his game when playing as a long front man compared to Rooney, LVG is forced to start him over Rooney up top now surely?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This boy is going to win us the league.