Martial as our 9

jb8521

Doesn't stop us from losing a lot of top players to Real Madrid in the past. De Gea would have been another one on the list there if not Perez f**king it up.
It could be argued that the only player we've actually lost to them who we wanted to keep was Ronaldo who was sold for a world record fee. Beckham and Van Nistelrooy had both fallen out with Ferguson so were always likely to have been sold if not to Real then to somewhere else

Traub

It could be argued that the only player we've actually lost to them who we wanted to keep was Ronaldo who was sold for a world record fee. Beckham and Van Nistelrooy had both fallen out with Ferguson so were always likely to have been sold if not to Real then to somewhere else
This falling out always crops up but maybe they partly fell out due to the players' desire to move to Madrid?

jb8521

This falling out always crops up but maybe they partly fell out due to the players' desire to move to Madrid?
I don't think Beckham ever wanted to leave United and would have been quite happy to spend his career here and as far as I know Ferguson fell out with Van Nistelrooy over his attitude towards some of the younger players but yeah you're right their attitudes could have been affected by the Madrid rumors

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aye, there's something I read in the transfer window where SAF confirmed in his book that RvN asked to go to Madrid the season before he was sold iirc. I was always under the impression he was sold because of his falling out with Ronaldo & SAF, but apparently SAF confirmed he asked for the move before.

Beckham, IMO, was definitely sold after SAF and him fell out. Hes a tough one to call IMO. He's United through and through - so I always wonder if he'd have retired with us (like Giggs and Scholes) or if his commercial aspirations would have led to a move eventually, anyway? I'd like to believe the former, of course.

markhrad

It maybe too early but I think Martial has already proven that he should be our main man going forward and I expect in time his partnership with Memphis, M&M, will wreak havoc in the prem and Europe.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Aye, there's something I read in the transfer window where SAF confirmed in his book that RvN asked to go to Madrid the season before he was sold iirc. I was always under the impression he was sold because of his falling out with Ronaldo & SAF, but apparently SAF confirmed he asked for the move before.

Beckham, IMO, was definitely sold after SAF and him fell out. Hes a tough one to call IMO. He's United through and through - so I always wonder if he'd have retired with us (like Giggs and Scholes) or if his commercial aspirations would have led to a move eventually, anyway? I'd like to believe the former, of course.
Argued here https://www.redcafe.net/threads/were-we-happy-to-sell-beckham-and-van-nistelrooy-to-madrid.409016/

Good points made in there about that.

rooney1905

Yes he did. Could have had an assist if Memphis had better finishing. I liked what I saw. I also like that he occupies a number of defenders. If we could manage to keep Rooney in his position and not trying to play grab fanny with Schneiderlin and Carrick I think it would keep defenses under immense pressure. I'm pleased with what I've seen so far from Martial.

itso 7

Yes he did. Could have had an assist if Memphis had better finishing. I liked what I saw. I also like that he occupies a number of defenders. If we could manage to keep Rooney in his position and not trying to play grab fanny with Schneiderlin and Carrick I think it would keep defenses under immense pressure. I'm pleased with what I've seen so far from Martial.
Yeah true regarding Rooney's tendency to drop too deep but I think it's also because one of Carrick/Schneiderlin is staying too deep and when one moves forward it's Carrick but he is too slow to support the attack and come back to win the ball. It should be Carrick sitting and picking up those dangerous passes from deep midfield.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
couldn't agree more; him occupying defenders gave Rooney more space and we saw a more effective Rooney today. Martial's understanding of his role is quite phenomenal.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
This guy is something special. 19, only a handful of professional games behind him, coming to a league which is very hard for foreign players to adapt to, especially for forwards, and already putting in these kinds of performances. Outstanding! 36M?! An absolute bargain in this market.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So which player does he resemble the most? Is it Henry like they say? Kluivert...?

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
couldn't agree more; him occupying defenders gave Rooney more space and we saw a more effective Rooney today. Martial's understanding of his role is quite phenomenal.
There was one point around the 75th minute or so when he was being marked by five (5!!!) Sunderland defenders. Amazing really.

SiRed

So which player does he resemble the most? Is it Henry like they say? Kluivert...?
I cant decide. Sometimw times i see aspects of his game that resemble to real Ronaldo (R9) other times a see a bit of Henry. His off the ball movement reminds me of Andy Cole also.
As Martin Tyler said, This is the first Anthony Martial.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
main concern is obviously him shouldering way more burden than a 19year old should have to.

And how far into the season can he carry on performing like this.

It best be quite far, as we've left ourselves quite short up there!

Eugenius

I think actually the Torres comparison is most apt come to think of it. Makes very similar runs.

Some of the comparisons on here to several different black players who all have pretty different playing styles are a bit uncomfortable tbf.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
main concern is obviously him shouldering way more burden than a 19year old should have to.

And how far into the season can he carry on performing like this.

It best be quite far, as we've left ourselves quite short up there!
I still firmly believe we will be in for another striker in January.

Kidders

I watched a very young Samuel Eto playing for Mallorca and really wished I could phone Fergie to tell him to sign him, What struck me most was his confidence, Martial has that same kind of arrogance/confidence/assurance, if Martial reaches the same heights we are in for years of trophies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I watched a very young Samuel Eto playing for Mallorca and really wished I could phone Fergie to tell him to sign him, What struck me most was his confidence, Martial has that same kind of arrogance/confidence/assurance, if Martial reaches the same heights we are in for years of trophies.
I know what you mean but with Martial it's not arrogance, he seems rather shy and introverted. He's just so cool and unfazed by anything around him, he just does his job without anything that could influence him in a negative way.

Ixion

I keep expecting him to stumble over the ball and lose it like Wellbeck (or most 19 year olds would) but he always seems to have the ball under more control than I think. Hes 19 going on 30.

Blodssvik

It is the honey moon period. Things are new and exciting and he is performing well. It doesn't mean he is already adapting well. In 6 months we might see if he really is unfazed. I'm worried fans, and most of all media, will give him undeserved criticism after performing above expectations so early.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I keep expecting him to stumble over the ball and lose it like Wellbeck (or most 19 year olds would) but he always seems to have the ball under more control than I think. Hes 19 going on 30.
Yeah its a little Suarez like how he manages to keep the ball under control despite getting it caught under his feed or lose his balance on occasions.

Akshay

Staff
I think actually the Torres comparison is most apt come to think of it. Makes very similar runs.

Some of the comparisons on here to several different black players who all have pretty different playing styles are a bit uncomfortable tbf.
Torres' close control and silky dribbling were never as good as Martial's. He was a better header and more powerful striker of the ball than Martial from what I've seen, though. I actually think Eto is the better comparison, albeit I am uncomfortable about how much race might be playing on people's minds as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He also reminds me of Benzema from Lyon.
Me too. But it's funny that I'm not the only one struggling to find a perfect match, the reality is that he is just Martial,

Edit: To me stylistically, he is a mix between Aguero, Benzema and Lewandowski.

rotherham_red

Benzema (when he was at Lyon) is the closest I can think of in terms of a like-for-like comparison. No surprise either considering they were both products of Lyon's academy.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Seems more like a cross between Gerd Muller, Benzema, and a young Jenny Agutter.

Shark

@NotShark
It seems like he's been compared to every world class striker in the game, in this thread.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It is the honey moon period. Things are new and exciting and he is performing well. It doesn't mean he is already adapting well. In 6 months we might see if he really is unfazed. I'm worried fans, and most of all media, will give him undeserved criticism after performing above expectations so early.
I think the great start will be protect him when any rough patches come. We've already seen that he's not a bizarre buy or a favour we're doing for an agent or whatever.

For a forward to get (and deserve) MOTM votes in a game where he hasn't scored is a mark of something special. All the Macheda, flash in the pan, kind of remarks are already being answered for us and more importantly for him.

He belongs here - and if he hits a dry spell we know he can do better and that all he needs is time.

GBBQ

He belongs here - and if he hits a dry spell we know he can do better and that all he needs is time.
Yeah it must be invaluable for a young player in a new league to hit the ground running. He will have the confidence to know he can mix it in the league which should see him through if/when a dry spell comes.

bananaman

He reminds me of hte brazilian ronaldo, fast , powerful, amazing finisher and an intelligent player. The way he bounced kabul and the other sunderland defenders off the ball and then powered past them reminded me of Ronaldo.

Rezyuz

He reminds me of hte brazilian ronaldo, fast , powerful, amazing finisher and an intelligent player. The way he bounced kabul and the other sunderland defenders off the ball and then powered past them reminded me of Ronaldo.
Lets not compare him to the greatest striker to have ever roamed this earth yet :P