Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

Decomposing In Paris

At his 20 minutes on the field at Watford. He didn’t do much even wasted a good opportunity to make it 3. But it’s no reason for this backlash he is getting. It’s an absolute joke and is disgusting from fans who jump on agendas. I say agenda because right now we can overlook Sanchez being crap with worse stats than Martial @el3mel and I find it odd how the majority fall for it. By November it will be Rashford who will be getting this backlash. It’s mild at the minute but it will get worse by the end of the season.
The reaction is weird.

el3mel

Who’s had a go at Sanchez lol? Where is the Alexis thread? He’s been here for over 6 months and to be quite honest he’s been crap. We signed arguably the best attacker in the prem however not a word is said about it. Has he scored this season, he’s suppose to be out Eden Hazard. Laughable but yet we want to discuss a 20minute Martial performance like that’s our main issue. He’s not even our second choice attacker.
It's not really my problem at this point if you haven't even been reading Sanchez performance thread and is assuming things out of your mind to suit your narrative.

rotherham_red

At this stage I'm just amazed that people don't think his character worthy of questioning!

Previous managers have done it too, so there's something of a pattern building.
Nop
Who’s had a go at Sanchez lol? Where is the Alexis thread? He’s been here for over 6 months and to be quite honest he’s been crap. We signed arguably the best attacker in the prem however not a word is said about it. Has he scored this season, he’s suppose to be out Eden Hazard. Laughable but yet we want to discuss a 20minute Martial performance like that’s our main issue. He’s not even our second choice attacker.
Thank you! Finally someone sees sense on this issue...

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Let’s face it, Martial is one of the most polarizing figure at United. There are some who see his talent, and paid attention last season on his productivity before Sanchez came around and recognizes there is a special talent there. There are others who notice his clear lack of work rate compared to most of the team and see someone who is disinterested and not bothered to make the same efforts a Sanchez will do.

At the end of the day, if we go by facts, Martial has been far and away the better player than Sanchez from the left wing role. You don’t have to go very far but last season to see the obvious. He is much better in creating danger and has a much better understanding with Lulaku up front than Sanchez has shown thus far.

There are no excuses anymore for Sanchez to be an automatic starter. He has now had a full pre-season with the team, off the back of a half season at the start of the year. Martial is simply better than whatever Sanchez has shown in a United shirt. The work rate has amounted to nothing of substance. Stick him to the right wing and let Martial show what he can do where he was productive from last season. Lukaku will benefit from his presence much more than he would with Sanchez or Rashford.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
From the way people talk about him, one would think he is 19 or 20.

He turns 23 in Dec. Showed promise at 19, been crap since. This cannot be solely due to Mourinho.

This club shows far far too much patience for flops and he should have been sold, no idea what Woodward is doing offering him a new contract and why so many people think he can rediscover his form from his first season.

If anything, he has regressed (badly) in what should have been the defining years of his career!

Mainoldo

It's not really my problem at this point if you haven't even been reading Sanchez performance thread and is assuming things out of your mind to suit your narrative.
Buts it’s your problem to crisise our 3rd choice attacker for 20 minutes on the pitch. Behave! Your as bad as the majority. I’ll go search for your comments in the Sanchez performance thread.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

He turns 23 in Dec. Showed promise at 19, been crap since. This cannot be solely due to Mourinho.

This club shows far far too much patience for flops and he should have been sold, no idea what Woodward is doing offering him a new contract and why so many people think he can rediscover his form from his first season.

If anything, he has regressed (badly) in what should have been the defining years of his career!
You can keep lying to yourself all you want, but he was one of the best players in the starting XI just last season before Sanchez came around. You need to check your memory, because it wasn’t that long ago. I still remember everybody thinking Sanchez for sure would be stuck to the RW because Martial was playing well from the LW. I’m sure there’s a way to dig that up.

el3mel

Buts it’s your problem to crisise our 3rd choice attacker for 20 minutes on the pitch. Behave! Your as bad as the majority. I’ll go search for your comments in the Sanchez performance thread.
Have fun. I have nothing to be worried about. :)

Mainoldo

Have fun. I have nothing to be worried about. :)
Problem because you’ve said frig all but made suggestion of how to get the best out of him. Nothing about him being dropped, ineffective or not good enough. Maybe you should treat players like Martial with the same leniency. Considering he’s actually contributed to the club.

Rusholme Ruffian

Problem because you’ve said frig all but made suggestion of how to get the best out of him. Nothing about him being dropped, ineffective or not good enough. Maybe you should treat players like Martial with the same leniency. Considering he’s actually contributed to the club.
Good god, you actually went and looked and reported back here...:lol:

el3mel

Choosing posts that suit your narrative, then accuse others of their agenda. Pretty funny indeed. What's next for you ?

Disastrous of a signing. Should chop him to China next season. Think they're only ones will be interested to pay his wages.
Talking about changing his position reminds me of Rooney discussions.

Time flies. Same problems exist.
Very poor.

Gordon S

A month ago people on here were either laughing or fuming because Shaw was still at our club.
These 20 minutes were his first in a long time, he is rusty, still young and raw. Think he did alright.

If "fatass" can turn things around so can Martial. Would love to see him get a few starts on the left again, to see if he can find some confidence again.

Mainoldo

A month ago people on here were either laughing or fuming because Shaw was still at our club.
These 20 minutes were his first in a long time, he is rusty, still young and raw. Think he did alright.

If "fatass" can turn things around so can Martial. Would love to see him get a few starts on the left again, to see if he can find some confidence again.
Good post.

rotherham_red

I think it was Ranieri. I wasn't anything huge, but definitely alluded to him maybe not having the attitude to reach the very top.
You said it yourself it wasn't anything huge, yet you saw fit to highlight that it's an example of a poor attitude. Considering his contributions to the club have far exceeded most of his competition while he's been here, I think some goodwill should be extended.

Even if he had a bad attitude however, he must have been 18 when it was said, the guy was and arguably still is a kid. To weaponise something like that against a player is bizarre, especially considering he's a player who is ostensibly on your team.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You can keep lying to yourself all you want, but he was one of the best players in the starting XI just last season before Sanchez came around. You need to check your memory, because it wasn’t that long ago. I still remember everybody thinking Sanchez for sure would be stuck to the RW because Martial was playing well from the LW. I’m sure there’s a way to dig that up.
Last season he seemed to be best from the bench, as did Rashford. I remember them not being as effective from the start.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Last season he seemed to be best from the bench, as did Rashford. I remember them not being as effective from the start.
Wrong. He showed similar production from the start. The issue is the team as a whole was very inconsistent in some games. It’s just the usual suspects of Martial who would downplay his production off the bench to simply playing against tired legs. When he started doing it from the start, they went quiet until Sanchez arrived.

eire-red

I think most of the criticism for Martial stems not from fans actively having an agenda against him or disliking him, but from pure frustration.

We can't deny that he's 100% amazingly talented. Dribbling, pace, strength and composure in front of goal is what I associate with Martial when he's playing well, and he has good hold up and link up play, and isn't a bad crosser actually. In fact, I would go as far as to say that he's perhaps our most complete attacker.

Which is why it's so unbelievably frustrating to watch him only give 80% when he could give 100%, and with the right attitude he has the ability to destroy defenders when he's on his game.

Rusholme Ruffian

You said it yourself it wasn't anything huge, yet you saw fit to highlight that it's an example of a poor attitude. Considering his contributions to the club have far exceeded most of his competition while he's been here, I think some goodwill should be extended.

Even if he had a bad attitude however, he must have been 18 when it was said, the guy was and arguably still is a kid. To weaponise something like that against a player is bizarre, especially considering he's a player who is ostensibly on your team.
Steady on old bean - I merely said that Mourinho isn't the only manager to raise concerns about his attitude. Weaponise?! I'm mentioning it on a Martial thread - is it not relevant?

Answer me honestly - have you not seen anything in his attitude/application/demeanor to cause you any concern whatsoever? And before you answer remember that this is a forum, and thread, for discussing these very concerns.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wrong. He showed similar production from the start. The issue is the team as a whole was very inconsistent in some games. It’s just the usual suspects of Martial who would downplay his production off the bench to simply playing against tired legs. When he started doing it from the start, they went quiet until Sanchez arrived.
I'm not sure about that. I remember him and Rashford alternating between starting and coming in for 30 minutes and each was scoring mainly when they came on from the bench. I'll try to find stats to check it, which is more than you bothered to do.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not sure about that. I remember him and Rashford alternating between starting and coming in for 30 minutes and each was scoring mainly when they came on from the bench. I'll try to find stats to check it, which is more than you bothered to do.
I don't really have that much free time to dig up stats for things I remember pretty well, it wasn't even a year ago yet. Martial took the starting job from Rashford and was producing close to a goal/assist per 90m. He's won the club some games and provided many chances for Lukaku as well that weren't always converted. He was a very productive team player from the left wing and showed the best connection with Lukaku. Now, he wasn't a perfect player...he didn't track back as much and his movement is lazy more often than not, but I think with a healthy and confident Shaw (which he didn't have last season) he's worth giving a chance to find his form again because Sanchez has had plenty of chances from the left wing and if he's not going to be dropped, then stick him on the right and let's see what happens after a few games, instead of giving up on it if it doesn't work out right from the start.

RedNed77

He could learn a trick or two from Ashley Young. When Youngs role was taken by better younger replacements, one of which was Martial himself, he knuckled down and worked to make left back his own. If Young loses that position to Shaw permanently you can guarantee he'll double down and make a bid for RB instead. He may not be the worlds best footballer but he has the right attitude and genuinely appreciates playing for Manchester United, he doesn't sulk just gets on with it and tries his absolute hardest. I do not get that vibe from Martial at all. All I get from him is lazy, entitled, couldn't give a feck and self absorbed. There's a player in there somewhere but he's basically Nicolas Anelka for the modern era.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
He could learn a trick or two from Ashley Young. When Youngs role was taken by better younger replacements, one of which was Martial himself, he knuckled down and worked to make left back his own. If Young loses that position to Shaw permanently you can guarantee he'll double down and make a bid for RB instead. He may not be the worlds best footballer but he has the right attitude and genuinely appreciates playing for Manchester United, he doesn't sulk just gets on with it and tries his absolute hardest. I do not get that vibe from Martial at all. All I get from him is lazy, entitled, couldn't give a feck and self absorbed. There's a player in there somewhere but he's basically Nicolas Anelka for the modern era.
Nailed it!!

Baxter

Have we had an attacking player who has produced consistently during Mourinho’s tenure? We’ve got a 75m striker who has been pretty hit or miss and a supposed world class forward in Sanchez, who has been pretty shit since he joined.

Runs deeper than attitude, laziness or body language and whatever else is a popular criticism now.

Rusholme Ruffian

great post

snk123

Yes he should learn from a 33 year old who accepted being a bit part player because he was a limited footballer to begin with. Also, if you don't get that vibe from Martial maybe it's because he doesn't get any positive vibes from the manager that he trusts him one bit.

SteveW

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...o-third-player-of-the-month-win-of-the-season

Was doing pretty well until he got jettisoned for Sanchez

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Tbf playing for united was the best thing that happens to ashley young. Nobody would employ him with that salary.

Whereelse can ashley go?

Martial thinks hes the dog's bollock and teams were lining up to sign him, which i find amusing.

No proper top 2 teams would want him for the price we asked for. Not with that attitude. Jose told him to track back and he sulks. God forbid klopp tells him to press all day, or pep tells him to move constantly like his barcelona side.

Peps barcelona actually runs alot more than they look on tv. Those passing opportunities didnt come from nowhere. Players like xaxi are constantly on the move creating spaces and making himself available. If any jose tactics are more less demanding.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I am not gonna lie - I had a baby early this year, and have hardly followed football between October and January. I thought I caught up well in the meantime, but this has taken me aback. Why did United sign Sanchez then? Genuine question.
Most people here thought it was to strengthen the right wing, pretty much everybody thought it would be ridiculous to use him on the left wing because Martial was doing the job there, but maybe Sanchez made it a requirement that he's on the left if he signs or something....not much else makes sense and it was a terrible bit of management by Mourinho there.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Most people here thought it was to strengthen the right wing, pretty much everybody thought it would be ridiculous to use him on the left wing because Martial was doing the job there, but maybe Sanchez made it a requirement that he's on the left if he signs or something....not much else makes sense and it was a terrible bit of management by Mourinho there.
Thanks. I read some suggestions that Sanchez was Woodward's signing. Does it sound like there is any truth in that? Not that anyone can be sure...

Raven

I understand what you're getting at, but Ashley Young changed his position in the twilight of his career to remain useful to the team. Martial hasn't hit his prime yet, has proven to be an extremely talented and effective player when given a run in the team. For you to compare the two situations is madness.
I don't really have that much free time to dig up stats for things I remember pretty well, it wasn't even a year ago yet. Martial took the starting job from Rashford and was producing close to a goal/assist per 90m. He's won the club some games and provided many chances for Lukaku as well that weren't always converted. He was a very productive team player from the left wing and showed the best connection with Lukaku. Now, he wasn't a perfect player...he didn't track back as much and his movement is lazy more often than not, but I think with a healthy and confident Shaw (which he didn't have last season) he's worth giving a chance to find his form again because Sanchez has had plenty of chances from the left wing and if he's not going to be dropped, then stick him on the right and let's see what happens after a few games, instead of giving up on it if it doesn't work out right from the start.
This is nail on the head.

RedNed77

I understand what you're getting at, but Ashley Young changed his position in the twilight of his career to remain useful to the team. Martial hasn't hit his prime yet, has proven to be an extremely talented and effective player when given a run in the team. For you to compare the two situations is madness.
I’m not saying he should become a left back. We have a vacancy on the right, if his attitude was right and he was as good as you make him out to be he’d be able to adapt and give the manager no choice but to pick him. Instead he just seems to feel sorry for himself. With his attitude his prime will end up being that first season with us.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you are done foaming at the mouth, maybe you can reread your post where higuain is listed under Juventus not Madrid.

Ozil was sold for james and di Maria for bale.

Douglas Costa clashed with ancelotti that's why he was sold, if you are done foaming at the mouth you can rrad my next post where I mention this.

Can include coman in there too, another example of a young talent solf who could add value to the club.
Ermm what does it matter that i put him for Juventus when he was sold just like Di Maria and Ozil by Madrid?

And your comment about Madrid replacing these players just shows where you are at (massively overratting Martial).

Martial is very easily replaced, there are countless players better than him. The problem is that no one wants to pay a big fee for him so we have to lose money on him or renew his contract.

Douglas Costa said himself that he does not have any problems with Ancelotti. I have no idea how you managed to make coman look like it supported your point, Juventus sold him to Bayern despite him being a good talent.