Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

gajender

If he does all season then yeah. We need to take into account that the team was already playing pretty horrendous football when he arrived. If we can get a better system going with the new buys this summer, and he's putting the effort he was in, he'll surely shine. And Martial will be in a way better position to be involved in better football and learn, so long as he applies himself. If I was him I'd be using the lack of football this summer as an opportunity to sit down with a coach and work out what and how to improve.
Hopefully with us playing 3 in the middle full-time and better contribution from our fullbacks our front 3 would have greater freedom and less defensive duties but they would also be required to post better attacking numbers , though I agree Sanchez would be a starter but would need to deliver regularly and Mourinho won't hesitate to drop him if fails to perform for 4-5 matches straight unlike this season

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If Martial is staying, does this mean the future of Mata is in doubt?? We already have 6 players (Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Mata) for the forward positions. If we are to sign Bale, then having 7 players for 3 forward positions in a 4-3-3 is overkill, one will have to go. Similarly if the plan is to buy SMS and play a midfield diamond then again 6 players for the forward 2 positions (assuming SMS, Fred, Pogba and Matic make the diamond) is too much.

Unless the plan is to buy neither SMS or Bale (or any other forward), but then that for me means we are still lacking that killer quality up front to win titles. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m just saying I hope he can manage to give the manager a tough decision to make, and I personally still expect more from him based on how highly I rate him.
He did and we signed Sanchez, he also has the same ratios than good starters like Lukaku or even Sterling.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wait, are you suggesting that he should do what he successfully did this season?
It amazes me people don't see this. He really had to fight at the beginning of the season to force his way into the side, and as soon as he did, we signed Sanchez.

Infra-red

If Martial is staying, does this mean the future of Mata is in doubt?? We already have 6 players (Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Mata) for the forward positions. If we are to sign Bale, then having 7 players for 3 forward positions in a 4-3-3 is overkill, one will have to go. Similarly if the plan is to buy SMS and play a midfield diamond then again 6 players for the forward 2 positions (assuming SMS, Fred, Pogba and Matic make the diamond) is too much.

Unless the plan is to buy neither SMS or Bale (or any other forward), but then that for me means we are still lacking that killer quality up front to win titles. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the summer.
If we buy another attacker then I imagine one of Mata or Martial will be sold. As you say, 7 players for 3 positions is overkill, especially when Lukaku will likely start any game he's fit to play in.

Trizy

Unless we get good money for either Lingard or Mata I'd keep them. To compete in all competitions you need lots of good options. That is unless one of them want out.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hopefully with us playing 3 in the middle full-time and better contribution from our fullbacks our front 3 would have greater freedom and less defensive duties but they would also be required to post better attacking numbers , though I agree Sanchez would be a starter but would need to deliver regularly and Mourinho won't hesitate to drop him if fails to perform for 4-5 matches straight unlike this season
Yeah, hopefully we can transition better with Fred looking like he's decent in attack but also apparently good at tackling. 2 full blown DMs can't have been helping when we did play with a 3 man midfield. If we get better fullbacks then I'm hoping they unlock something in the opposition half too.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
How are you not banned?
Banned for what? Get a grip.

I think he is coming to Spurs. Lots of smoke from reliable Spurs sources that Martial wants the move. He's also one of Poch's top targets. Reports in the Daily Mail today that United and Spurs are actually meeting to discuss Martial. United also want to sign Alderweireld. Obviously United could refuse to sell to us although that may then have an impact on the Alderweirld deal.

Also, I think it's optimistic to expect Martial to sit through another season like the one he's just had.

Zoo

I think he is coming to Spurs. Lots of smoke from reliable Spurs sources that Martial wants the move. He's also one of Poch's top targets. Reports in the Daily Mail today that United and Spurs are actually meeting to discuss Martial. United also want to sign Alderweireld. Obviously United could refuse to sell to us although that may then have an impact on the Alderweirld deal.

Also, I think it's optimistic to expect Martial to sit through another season like the one he's just had.
Too late.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

feck off with the reliable Spurs sources crap. The same discussion happened last season where you lot convinced yourself that Sancho and Martial were moving to you.

Kostov

How about we keep Martial, and buy Alderweireld for 40m pounds? Yeah, that will happen, because reliable United sources are saying so after all.

Did he really get banned for that? :lol:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How about we keep Martial, and buy Alderweireld for 40m pounds? Yeah, that will happen, because reliable United sources are saying so after all.

Did he really get banned for that? :lol:
Accumulation of points rather than being banned for that specific post.

Raw

what does that mean? what shirt?

Guy tweets: "Anthony Martial at work, I pass by him in a Liverpool jersey, he gives me a sign that my jersey is dirty, I kiss the Liverbird before him"
Martial replies: "You should change your jersey"

gajender

Accumulation of points rather than being banned for that specific post.
Permanent or temporary , I never thought I would say this but this poster makes GlastonSpur look more realistic and saner poster when it comes to views about Spurs.

Cliche Guevara

I don’t understand why Martial doesn’t just give Jose what he wants and make a success of his career at United. It can’t be that difficult to understand what is required of him surely?

People talk about how well he’d do at City or Liverpool but seem to be ignoring how hard those teams work. In order to get into those sides he’d possibly be asked to work even harder than he is at United. Are people saying that it’s acceptable not to give everything to us but to go elsewhere and offer more?

It’s also regularly mentioned that Jose doesn’t coach attackers and lets them rely on their natural ability. I don’t know if that’s true, or not, and I know it’s not going to be that simple. Does he have the discipline to be effective in such a structured system at another club, though, and is this so much better for him than the attacking freedom he’s allowed at United?

Is the difference between him having a Salah season, or not, one of determination and application perhaps?

red_de_pologne

Guy tweets: "Anthony Martial at work, I pass by him in a Liverpool jersey, he gives me a sign that my jersey is dirty, I kiss the Liverbird before him"
Love Martial, thanks. Don't see why would he go to a team a tier below like Spurs.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Di Marzio says it, it's most likely true.

Some of the Spurs fans here seem to be as delusional as RAWKites but They irritate you in a different way. They try to present you with "facts" that are basically pointless which They got from dodgy sources that nobody cares about. They do it all just to make themselves feel good and Spurs look better than They actually are. A bunch of delusional, Hary Kane defending, self-entitled wankers.

Cassidy

I don’t understand why Martial doesn’t just give Jose what he wants and make a success of his career at United. It can’t be that difficult to understand what is required of him surely?

People talk about how well he’d do at City or Liverpool but seem to be ignoring how hard those teams work. In order to get into those sides he’d possibly be asked to work even harder than he is at United. Are people saying that it’s acceptable not to give everything to us but to go elsewhere and offer more?

It’s also regularly mentioned that Jose doesn’t coach attackers and lets them rely on their natural ability. I don’t know if that’s true, or not, and I know it’s not going to be that simple. Does he have the discipline to be effective in such a structured system at another club, though, and is this so much better for him than the attacking freedom he’s allowed at United?

Is the difference between him having a Salah season, or not, one of determination and application perhaps?
Seriously? I mean part of what Jose may want is for Martial to be a completely different person all together (his personality) that may not be so easy to change

The other thing to mention is that none of the attacking players are making a success of their United careers... Maybe Lukaku is debatable actually. Sanchez is even struggling for instance

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Tony remains a Red ! :devil:

...and honestly speaking, I’d prefer to keep him 1 more year just in case he finally turns things (consistency) around. Make or break year for him if he’s still around by the time the new season begins.

I don’t think he’s great (yet) but I don’t think he’s a dud either. He’s sort of in the middle there just teeter tottering back and forth showing glimpses of the good and bad. I’m not all in on the hype as he’s been here for a few years now but I’m definitely pulling for him in that he works out for the betterment of the team (first and foremost) and himself which go hand in hand. Would be nice to see.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Like I said, both he and the club will see how this season goes. If it goes horribly wrong, then we'll both look to end it by the end of the season, but someone with Tony's talent needs to be given all the opportunity to have it realised. The potential upside of it working out is far more than anything we'd get in a sale.
Well said

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Love Martial, thanks. Don't see why would he go to a team a tier below like Spurs.
To play week in week out. The only question is whether he thinks that his manager believes in him and is willing to make a step in his direction, of course Martial needs to make the bigger step. That's generally the problem in sports, there is actually an anecdote about it in the NBA where Popovich had a conversation with Aldridge who was upset about his role and how Popovich didn't trust him enough to let him play his game, an immense manager like Popovich simply agreed that he should have made a step in the players direction and pledged to fix it. I feel that sometimes in football, egos and status are too big and people aren't willing to act simply and coherently.

Cliche Guevara

Seriously? I mean part of what Jose may want is for Martial to be a completely different person all together (his personality) that may not be so easy to change

The other thing to mention is that none of the attacking players are making a success of their United careers... Maybe Lukaku is debatable actually. Sanchez is even struggling for instance
Yes, seriously. I don’t know where your assumption that he has to become a completely different person comes from, but maybe growing up a little bit, and listening to his manager more, is all it would take to get him the career he wants.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
If only. Most unnecessary signing in recent history.
Really? Judging Alexis in half a season where the league was already out of hand, thus clubs were playing with no real motivation, and with him having to come in a new system and figure things out?

Don’t get the slandering at all; talk about jumping the gun. Next season will be a full season so there’ll be less/very little room for error on his part and a lot will be expected. And the move makes sense considering it blocked Alexis from going to City, as does the Fred signing who City were originally aligned with. That’s one way to make up ground on City - by hijacking top players they were in on...can you imagine how much steeper of an uphill climb it’d be if this current City side added Alexis + Fred? :eek: Yea, no thanks !

Cassidy

Yes, seriously. I don’t know where your assumption that he has to become a completely different person comes from, but maybe growing up a little bit, and listening to his manager more, is all it would take to get him the career he wants.
I said may want. I don't assume to know is the point. I am saying maybe it isn't easy for him to do what Jose wants

Cliche Guevara

I have to say I do hope that Mourinho has a plan to incorporate Martial and Sanchez into the same side.

We already have a bit of a problem in Martial and Rashford competing for that spot. Adding Sanchez into the mix only complicates that matter further. If only one of them had been able to make the right-wing their own, things would be far clearer.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Hopefully we keep Martial and get a RW. Our attack will be stacked and with reinforcements in midfield I'm looking forward to what we can do.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Can't be happier when and if leaves(his decision,not the club's). There would be some United fans who'd want him to well at Spurs just so they could say I told you so. Martial FC supporters are hilarious. I don't want him sold, but I'd love it if he leaves and doesn't fulfill his talent elsewhere.

And there are people who want us to not sign world class players so a player like Martial can continue to get chances. His form before we signed Sanchez is massively overstated. We had one of the easiest runs when he had all those goals. Yet he had less goals than Lukaku and Lingard in that period. He was good, but not breathtakingly good like people seem to claim.

Last edited:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
To play week in week out.
For starters, United would never give Martial to Spurs.

Same reason why Spurs won’t give Kane to United or any other English side...just far too much risk at it backfiring at their face and having to deal with it for the next decade against a direct/top league rival.

If Martial leaves it’ll 1000% be in another country.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
To play week in week out. The only question is whether he thinks that his manager believes in him and is willing to make a step in his direction, of course Martial needs to make the bigger step. That's generally the problem in sports, there is actually an anecdote about it in the NBA where Popovich had a conversation with Aldridge who was upset about his role and how Popovich didn't trust him enough to let him play his game, an immense manager like Popovich simply agreed that he should have made a step in the players direction and pledged to fix it. I feel that sometimes in football, egos and status are too big and people aren't willing to act simply and coherently.
Ali Kane and Ericksen are first choice.

So if went to Spurs he would be fighting it out with Son?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can't be happier when and if leaves there would be some United fans who'd want him to well at Spurs just so they could say I told you so. Martial FC supporters are hilarious. I don't want him sold, but I'd love it if he leaves and doesn't fulfill his talent elsewhere.
that's pretty pathetic.