Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

0le

Except that the current Spurs team aren't a tier below United. Living in the past does you no favours.
Remind me again your league position for last season?

Remind me again the number of trophies Spurs have won in the last decade?

All talk and no show. Definitely a tier below, without question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yeah, already happened last season with Walker. No doubt we would want to sell abroad, but who would pay what City paid? If you don't strengthen yourself as much as possible then it doesn't help much if you also don't strengthen a rival since there are 5 of them. This isn't a 2 team league.
Fair enough.

For me though, the wealthier team has to use that to their advantage - you want Martial, we get Erickson/Kane for example.

I'm not pushing for that exact scenario btw, just as a hypothetical.

I don't think a club of United's wealth should be letting talent go to another top 4 club when transfer fee matters less to us.

Let him go abroad or keep him would be my approach.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Except that the current Spurs team aren't a tier below United. Living in the past does you no favours.
I agree, but he's struggling for goals as it is. He doesn't need to go to Spurs to have those he does score nicked by Kane.

I hope Di Marzio's right. Obviously he's got no WC commitments, so doesn't need a quick transfer, but the fact we haven't heard much about Martial in a while is heartening.

Patrick08

However we can say that United are a team on the up and Tottenham's have reached their Maturity stage. I don't really expect them to improve much further. There are core issues at Spurs regarding wage structure and the kitty they can spend to improve their squad and the first team and of course Lack of trophies are also a very big reason why spurs ain't ready to jump to the next level as a club as of now in current situation.

Also I dont see Martial as a good fit to Spurs dynamic Movement up front as he really struggles with movement which has been his main issue at united with Mourinho. Martial's natural strength seems to be in a philosophy which is more Possession based cohesive side up front built on getting penetration through dribbling and creativity rather than Movement.

Even if he leaves, teams like Barcelona or Bayern seem to fit him more than spurs.

Judas

Open to offers
Teams like Barca and Bayern might fit him more, but he's no chance of getting more game time there than he does with us, so it would be idiocy to move there.

RedDevil@84

Yeah, already happened last season with Walker. No doubt we would want to sell abroad, but who would pay what City paid? If you don't strengthen yourself as much as possible then it doesn't help much if you also don't strengthen a rival since there are 5 of them. This isn't a 2 team league.
So you agree that if Martial has to go, it has to be a foreign club, unless Spurs or anyone else pays way over the odds for him

Kapardin

Technically, he's young enough to accept a bench role and wait 2-3 years until he develops and replaces Sanchez. But not like many footballers are that patient.

Sereques

That's not true - they were right consistently asking why mourinho had made some of the hottest 2 central striking prospects compete with each other on the left wing.

I agree with them. They have been handled poorly.

Jose has the option of bringing his system & his tactics to united whilst sidelining every player that does not fit or he has the option of looking at the players at his disposal trying to find the best system for them whilst making tweaks towards his own tactics. He chose the first - instantly making us start deeper than we needed to.

For example - Klopp has managed to build a countrr attacking pressuring team whilst utilising one false 9 and 2 inside forwards. This is a mix of his old tactics & a mix of the players at his disposal.

Pep has got 2 AM's protected by a fixed CDM playing possession football. New mixed with the old depending on the players.

Every Tom dick & Harry new that this club should have been playing with 2 strikers from the moment Jose came in because we had Rashford, Martial Ibrahimovic & later on Lukaku.

Yet Jose has chosen to bring his tried & trusted method to united without making any changes - thus heavily disturbing Rashford & Martial's progress even though they can pull off a good 15 min display here and there.

The legends have been right from Giggs to Bobby Charlton to Neville. Things could have been better & should have been better. If Martial was rubbish & serves no purpose for us or for he future - sell him to a rival. The fact is Jose is not flexible with his system & in this current day his system is looking more and more aged even though it can grind out results.

Lukaku himself is being forced in to a system that doesn't get the best out of him rather, acting lilke Drogba 2.0 rather than himself with the help of a support striker. Pogba played deep lying playmaker for 2/3rd of the season Again due to tactical strictness. The only player that has improved is Lingard because he has been played in his correct position - he broke through as a RM but was always an Am.

If he did the same with Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford,l and so on then we would have a better united team that played in the position that got the best out of them. We don't need to be Chelsea 3.0 - I want to see the next Great United team and so does the class of 92

The fact that you said Pogba was played out of position showed your opinion is based entirely on the agenda driven garbage poured out on skysports. Anyone that bothered to watch the games know where Pogba played. There is nothing wrong with Martial, he's 22 and that's not a crime. How good and consistent was Scholes, Giggs, Neville at the age of 22. Inconsistency is normal at that age, stop listening to phantom problems from the media. Pogba got injured and then sick the media told you he was played out of position and you accept it.

When SAF had Ronaldo and Rooney, he still tried to put a much older and experience striker at the center and pulled both of them wide, the media cried and wept for ages talking about where they think Rooney should play, United fans bought into this as well, typical. When Rooney was old enough, SAF moved him to the center. Rashford and Martial are too young to act as center forward for Man United.

Lingard is doing well because he's older and more matured. if he was younger, am sure you will say he wasn't managed well :rolleyes: It's normal for 22year olds to be inconsistent.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Remind me again your league position for last season?

Remind me again the number of trophies Spurs have won in the last decade?

All talk and no show. Definitely a tier below, without question.
Pointing just to last season doesn't cut it … your average league finishing position (including last season) since Fergie retired is lower than that of Spurs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pointing just to last season doesn't cut it … your average league finishing position (including last season) since Fergie retired is lower than that of Spurs.
Our average trophy collection since Fergie retired is higher than that of Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Pointing just to last season doesn't cut it. Your average league position (including last season) since Fergie retired is lower than that of Spurs.

This fact doesn't square with the assertion that the Spurs team are a tier below United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pointing just to last season doesn't cut it. Your average league position (including last season) since Fergie retired is lower than that of Spurs.

This fact doesn't square with the assertion that the Spurs team are a tier below United.
:lol: You won't stop that nonsense isn't it.

Go and check what was Chelsea's average league position and Spurs, also while you are at it, also check who won PL twice in that period.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Our average trophy collection since Fergie retired is higher than that of Spurs.
So what? Cup runs depend partly on the luck of the draw. League finishing places don't.

Or at best you can say that - in terms of 'tier' - your cup wins cancel out your lower average league placing, but they certainly don't place Spurs a tier below United.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So what? Cup runs depend partly on the luck of the draw. League finishing places don't.

Or at best you can say that - in terms of 'tier' - your cup wins cancel out your lower average league placing, but they certainly don't place Spurs a tier below United.
Ah we just got lucky! I see.

Don't ever stop dreaming Glaston.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I can't be bothered to reply further to the 'tier below' posts (not least because it takes things further off-topic), except to say some United fans cling onto the past too much and like to believe that little has changed … when in truth things have changed.

But I'll leave such fans with their cosy delusions.

cyberman

Yeah, lucky we drew perennial bottlers in the semis of the FA cup last season but faced the defending EPL champions in the final.
That's good / bad luck in a nutshell.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can't be bothered to reply further to the 'tier below' posts (not least because it takes things further off-topic), except to say some United fans cling onto the past too much and like to believe that little has changed … when in truth things have changed.

You know you’ve been raised a Spurs fan when you refer to trophies as “delusions”.

TheReligion

Abusive

You'll have to do better than finishing ahead of united for a few seasons to claim you're on equal footing on the world stage. Surely you don't really believe this rubbish.

AR87

This board would be so much more enjoyable if would just leave us to our "delusions" and you took all your very real musings on league average position since Ferguson retired with you.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

So on one hand you say the past doesn't count and then at the same time you say that it does.

Crazy talk.

MDFC Manager

Oh look, he's changed the goalposts again!:lol::lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

First you accuse us of living in the past but when someone mentions your league position in the latest season, you talk about average league position for last 5 years. Who is living in the past Glaston?

Just stop with this average league position bullshit. Don't you have any other metric to prove that spurs have achieved more than united post fergie?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

You're a tier below Arsenal and Chelsea let alone Manchester United

Vashtra

:houllier:

What's deluded is thinking 'average league position' means anything. Your average league position has been better than Chelsea the past two years, yet they've won a league and an fa cup in the same time while you've won the grand total of feck all. In fact City, United, Arsenal and Chelsea have all done better than you in this regard.

It used to be Arsenal fans parading their imaginary top four trophies, now seemingly its spurs fans parading it as some supposed huge achievement.

GM K

I never said it should be, I just commented on the fact he has already gone through a season proving himself and got to a point of establishing himself back in the startling 11 and then took a knock, in response to someone saying that if he fought for his place, he would be rewarded
Oh, okay. Good point.

GM K

Would you blame Martial for dropping the shoulders. Since Sanchez was signed (which was a big mistake) both rashford and Martial have been poor and been given limited chances. The only reason sanchez is in the team is Jose is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake. Its easy to pick on Martial as he's a foreigner and has a dour personality, Rashford has been far worst and gets off a lot lighter
Signing one good player should not make another good player go bad. Martial and Rashford need to up their games and stop blaming Sanchez (if they are) for average performances.

GM K

Would you blame Martial for dropping the shoulders. Since Sanchez was signed (which was a big mistake) both rashford and Martial have been poor and been given limited chances. The only reason sanchez is in the team is Jose is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake. Its easy to pick on Martial as he's a foreigner and has a dour personality, Rashford has been far worst and gets off a lot lighter
Signing one good player should not make another good player go bad. Martial and Rashford need to up their games and stop blaming Sanchez for average performances.
If this is level of performance from Sanchez is "leaving his soul on the pitch" then I dread to think how this season will go for us.

he's gone from being one of the leagues best to not being able to control the ball, cant hold the ball up, cant pass. He has been atrocious since joining us.

And no matter what, whoever you are whatever you have done in the game you should never ever be picked on reputation as you suggest. You get picked because you have earned the right.

Martial did not deserve to be dropped, and even after he was and Sanchez played like garbage for 2-3 games then Sanchez should have been dropped due to abysmal form.

But its a PR game, we gambled hugely on nicking Sanchez from City therefore he has to play to save face. City must be laughing they're heads off the amount we pay him and the garbage he has produced for us.

Martial should start
As much as I agree with you, unfortunately, in the real world of football, it often does not work that way. Some players have so much earned their super star statuses in the game, that it will take far more than an average half season for any manager to bench them. Maybe because the managers know how much of game changers they can be if they suddenly click. It's just the way it is. Your average manager who brings in a Sanchez at the salary he is on, will keep him on the pitch for as long as possible to see if he can regain form or simply to justify his purchase.

Having said that, Sanchez has hardly had good rest in between seasons in years and he had grown very frustrated at Arsenal in his last season there. I think those affected him a lot. Changing clubs in January can also be tricky for many players. After he gets good rest this summer, I am willing to bet that he will make many people eat their words next season.

jungledrums

You'll have to do better than finishing ahead of united for a few seasons to claim you're on equal footing on the world stage. Surely you don't really believe this rubbish.
Was he talking about world stage? The bloke can be infuriating I agree but if his point was that United and Spurs are at a similar footballing level then I tend to agree.

Cantonagotmehere

Signing one good player should not make another good player go bad. Martial and Rashford need to up their games and stop blaming Sanchez for average performances.

Exactly, up your game, its Manchester United. There should always be competition for spots.

Aloysius's Back 3

The fact that you said Pogba was played out of position showed your opinion is based entirely on the agenda driven garbage poured out on skysports. Anyone that bothered to watch the games know where Pogba played. There is nothing wrong with Martial, he's 22 and that's not a crime. How good and consistent was Scholes, Giggs, Neville at the age of 22. Inconsistency is normal at that age, stop listening to phantom problems from the media. Pogba got injured and then sick the media told you he was played out of position and you accept it.

When SAF had Ronaldo and Rooney, he still tried to put a much older and experience striker at the center and pulled both of them wide, the media cried and wept for ages talking about where they think Rooney should play, United fans bought into this as well, typical. When Rooney was old enough, SAF moved him to the center. Rashford and Martial are too young to act as center forward for Man United.

Lingard is doing well because he's older and more matured. if he was younger, am sure you will say he wasn't managed well :rolleyes: It's normal for 22year olds to be inconsistent.
That's as agenda driven as you think I am.:confused: The fact is Martial & Rashford together have the ability to put the same number of goals as Ibrahimovic by himself or as Lukaku did by him self last season. Martial & Lukaku together have the ability to put more goals out than Lukaku or ibrahimovic upfront by himself. There is absolute no reason for Lukaku to play as a lone target man except the fact that the manager is unwilling to be flexible to use the players at his disposal.

Hell we are all suddenly begging for Willian to come so we can have a carbon copy of a title chelsea won? with the same tactics & similar players? Give me a break - there is absolutely no need for Lukaku to have to play a game he is not comfortable in, like wise martial, likewise rashford, likewise Pogba - who played extra games in a position where he was clearly struggling in post injury; even if it was for 2 months of a season. I couldn't care what I was listening to- i saw with my own eyes that Pogba was struggling in a midfield 2 and improved by 10% atleast when eventually we switched to a midfield 3. We stuck to a 4231, moved Pogba further forward and added another midfielder. That's it - he looked marginally better when Mourinho himself adapted his tactics. That is something he has yet to do for players that have the possibility to play bigger roles in our team.

Anway Age got nothing to do with it- Aguero was the main guy next door this year yet every single kid around him played in their positions in a formation that got the best out of them. That's why soon as Mourinho found the oppurtunity to upgrade on martial the LW - he took it; because he himself knew Martial is not going to be good enough as a LW - fundamentally because he is a striker. The Same with Rashford. Just stuck them where there was space through out the season whilst convincing the majority of the fans that Martial is an average LW (he is) whilst giving him absolutely not a sniff of a role as a support striker or a partnering CF because Jose does not play that way. That's it - There is still fans on this forum who 2 years in is hoping the next is going to be a 4-4-2 Diamong. the chances are slim.

With regards to Lingard. Give him a season at RW compared to AM - even at 28 the guy will be better at the centre where he can run between the lines more and open spaces across the pitch. Sure he got better because he is mature :rolleyes: - the guy is a better playing inbetween the lines, playing shorter distance passes than taking his man on and crossing the ball.

Last edited: