Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For starters, United would never give Martial to Spurs.

Same reason why Spurs won’t give Kane to United or any other English side...just far too much risk at it backfiring at their face and having to deal with it for the next decade against a direct/top league rival.

If Martial leaves it’ll 1000% be in another country.
He said like Spurs meaning teams at Spurs level and he is talking about Martial not United.

red_de_pologne

Seriously? I mean part of what Jose may want is for Martial to be a completely different person all together (his personality) that may not be so easy to change

The other thing to mention is that none of the attacking players are making a success of their United careers... Maybe Lukaku is debatable actually. Sanchez is even struggling for instance
Huh? Lukaku debatable? Wasn't it his best season to date? How about Lingard? And recently-turned-20 Rashford with 13 goals? Martial was doing really well until we signed you know who.

Cliche Guevara

For starters, United would never give Martial to Spurs.

Same reason why Spurs won’t give Kane to United or any other English side...just far too much risk at it backfiring at their face and having to deal with it for the next decade against a direct/top league rival.

If Martial leaves it’ll 1000% be in another country.
I don’t think that kind of thing bothers Mourinho at all. He just gets on with it regardless.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Huh? Lukaku debatable? Wasn't it his best season to date? How about Lingard? And recently-turned-20 Rashford with 13 goals? Martial was doing really well until we signed you know who.
Lukaku for me is debatable yes, given he went 20 games scoring 4 goals. The rest of the names you mentioned didn't have successful seasons by United standards. In fact I'm not sure anyone can say Rashford had a better season than Martial in reality

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
He said like Spurs meaning teams at Spurs level and he is talking about Martial not United.
Oh okay, thought he meant Spurs in literal terms.

I mean as long as it’s not in England I could see him going to any club whether it be a top level or notch lower or whatnot. As long as it warrants he plays more but I hope it works out here instead.

settembrini

Selling Martial to Tottenham would be gutting. I don't even want to imagine him linking up with Kane, Alli and Erikson.

If he has to go then selling abroad is the only palatable option.

luke511

Really? Judging Alexis in half a season where the league was already out of hand, thus clubs were playing with no real motivation, and with him having to come in a new system and figure things out?

Don’t get the slandering at all; talk about jumping the gun. Next season will be a full season so there’ll be less/very little room for error on his part and a lot will be expected. And the move makes sense considering it blocked Alexis from going to City, as does the Fred signing who City were originally aligned with. That’s one way to make up ground on City - by hijacking top players they were in on...can you imagine how much steeper of an uphill climb it’d be if this current City side added Alexis + Fred? :eek: Yea, no thanks !
It was the one position we didn't need more competition for, and where we have two hot prospects (Martial much more so imo) that need as much game time as possible. The few weeks leading up to the transfer he was hitting top form again, his first consistent run of games in the league under Mourinho, and then we go and sign Sanchez to occupy the same position. We managed to get rid of one heavily overpaid past it player in the summer and going off the last 6 months we have managed to replace him with another. Zero sense, wouldn't have been bothered at all if city had signed him.

cyberman

Selling Martial to Tottenham would be gutting. I don't even want to imagine him linking up with Kane, Alli and Erikson.

If he has to go then selling abroad is the only palatable option.
But he would be replacing Son who is a better player IMO.
It would weaken them if anything!

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I don’t think that kind of thing bothers Mourinho at all. He just gets on with it regardless.
Maybe at Chelsea, but not at United. The board simply wouldn’t allow it.

Sure they’ll happily back a transfer if it’s in the managers interest but not within the league...Welbeck was a dud and had no real top level potential/ceiling when he was moved. Martial does and I just can’t see them taking such risk. Would be extremely foolish and short sighted.

Sereques

Disappointing to see that Scholes has joined Martial FC.
I wonder how many teams Scholes have manage to know what Martial needs are or how Scholes was able to know the current management did not have arms around him.

red_de_pologne

Lukaku for me is debatable yes, given he went 20 games scoring 4 goals. The rest of the names you mentioned didn't have successful seasons by United standards. In fact I'm not sure anyone can say Rashford had a better season than Martial in reality
This is ridiculous and you know it. He scored 27 goals - his career highest, it's a fantastic debut season. But let's not go OT.

cyberman

Sure they’ll happily back a transfer if it’s in the managers interest but not within the league...Welbeck was a dud and had no real top level potential/ceiling when he was moved. Martial does and I just can’t see them taking such risk. Would be extremely foolish and short sighted.
Jose is fully backed by the board. There were enough leaked stories added to Jose telling the players they can leave if they don't fancy it at Utd for it to be true.
They're not going to keep a player who wants to leave so he has to play under a manager who wants to sell him (if your scenario did play out)
The money is all in England.

Cliche Guevara

I genuinely don’t think the board would interfere there. Why would they?

If they sanction a move out I don’t they would be interested in concerning themselves where he went if the manager didn’t.

GM K

It amazes me people don't see this. He really had to fight at the beginning of the season to force his way into the side, and as soon as he did, we signed Sanchez.
We signed Sanchez and then Martial's shoulders dropped? I don't think that's how it should be. It raises questions about his mentality. Two seasons ago started with problems with his former girlfriend. And then he became unhappy that his jersey number was given to Zlatan. And then it was about rotating with Rashford. And then rumours never stopped about his transfer. Now it is about buying a top player like Sanchez. The great players I know, rise up to challenges. I have not heard Lingard complain or rumours about him wanting a transfer when he has spent as much time on the bench as Martial in the last three seasons.
Martial is a great talent and I will like him to stay in an ideal world. But frankly, there are too many dramas about him. If he really wants to leave, he should be allowed to do so and be properly replaced.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

If they sanction a move out I don’t they would be interested in concerning themselves where he went if the manager didn’t.
Mourinho doesn't decide who we sell players to.
Also Mourinho didn't want Cech sold to Arsenal. Pretty sure both Jose and Ed won't allow it.

Cassidy

We signed Sanchez and then Martial's shoulders dropped? I don't think that's how it should be. It raises questions about his mentality. Two seasons ago started with problems with his former girlfriend. And then he became unhappy that his jersey number was given to Zlatan. And then it was about rotating with Rashford. And then rumours never stopped about his transfer. Now it is about buying a top player like Sanchez. The great players I know, rise up to challenges. I have not heard Lingard complain or rumours about him wanting a transfer when he has spent as much time on the bench as Martial in the last three seasons.
Martial is a great talent and I will like him to stay in an ideal world. But frankly, there are too many dramas about him. If he really wants to leave, he should be allowed to do so and be properly replaced.
I never said it should be, I just commented on the fact he has already gone through a season proving himself and got to a point of establishing himself back in the startling 11 and then took a knock, in response to someone saying that if he fought for his place, he would be rewarded

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I wonder how many teams Scholes have manage to know what Martial needs are or how Scholes was able to know the current management did not have arms around him.
I think it's made up that he needs an arm around the shoulder. He already performed when treated strongly by the manager as a sub.

Martial's problem is that he is not the correct type of player for the system. He would play more under a 2 striker system, like Conte or Jardim.

Cassidy

This is ridiculous and you know it. He scored 27 goals - his career highest, it's a fantastic debut season. But let's not go OT.
I think this is one of his poorest returns in a premier league season. I think he has had a ok season overall, good points and bad points, a satisfactory first season at United. I do not deem it to be a success. Thats my opinion, you are entitled to your own.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How about we keep Martial, and buy Alderweireld for 40m pounds? Yeah, that will happen, because reliable United sources are saying so after all.

Did he really get banned for that? :lol:
He mentioned reliable sources and Daily Mail in the same sentence. That's enough to get banned in my book. :lol:

Cliche Guevara

Mourinho doesn't decide who we sell players to.
Also Mourinho didn't want Cech sold to Arsenal. Pretty sure both Jose and Ed won't allow it.
How does he not? Any more than the board? Presumably we receive an offer and if the player wants to go Mourinho decides whether to agree to the sale or not.

Unless I’m missing something.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Jose is fully backed by the board. There were enough leaked stories added to Jose telling the players they can leave if they don't fancy it at Utd for it to be true.
They're not going to keep a player who wants to leave so he has to play under a manager who wants to sell him (if your scenario did play out)
The money is all in England.

I just can’t see it happening for the life of me. The uproar and short sightedness in such a move would be disastrous.

Yes José said that but if we’re talking young players with high potentials to be impact players, they can leave albeit a different country. I see De Gea/Pogba/Martial/Rashford+Lukaku to lesser extents in that category. You really think they’d approve of a within the league move? Man, idk. I feel the club would gladly take £10m or so less if it means the player is out of the country and not having to worry about it blowing back in their faces. I’m pretty sure L’pool if they had the chance wouldn’t sell Sterling to City given a redo for the same reasons. I’m also pretty sure Spurs hypothetically would rather sell Kane to Madrid for £175m than United for £200m. And likewise, United would sell those categorized players for lesser money if it meant not having to deal with them directly imo.

Andersons Dietician

He scored 1 more goal than the previous season and was in an extra completion(CL). He also scored significantly less goals in the league than his previous season at Everton. His overall performances were better than this season on top of that. He has however been asked to perform a different role.

Edit make that 2 more competitions as it looks like the goal in the super cup is included in the 27. He played I think something like 600-800 more minutes of football also.
Or easier

Everton 26 goals 7 assists in 39 games
United 27 goals 9 assists in 51 games

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unless we get good money for either Lingard or Mata I'd keep them. To compete in all competitions you need lots of good options. That is unless one of them want out.
Well it'd be a hard sell to the players. Of course I'd rather we keep them but with Lukaku being a guaranteed starter, Sanchez and if Bale comes, they'd be hard to drop as well (though Bale will invariably get injured and miss a few matches). But its hard to keep 4 players happy as back ups for 3 positions. This is of course assuming we sign another attacker. But if we don't I still feel we lack the necessary quality up front to win titles. Its the same situation we buy a quality CM and play a diamond. Again you'll have 4 players as back ups for 2 or 3 positions.

TheReligion

Abusive
So we all going wild about an article from the unreliable Daily Mail with zero quotes and zero substance?

An article which says Spurs want to talk to United about Martial... Nothing more.

Jesus.

Cliche Guevara

I just can’t see it happening for the life of me. The uproar and short sightedness in such a move would be disastrous.

Yes José said that but if we’re talking young players with high potentials to be impact players, they can leave albeit a different country. I see De Gea/Pogba/Martial/Rashford+Lukaku to lesser extents in that category. You really think they’d approve of a within the league move? Man, idk. I feel the club would gladly take £10m or so less if it means the player is out of the country and not having to worry about it blowing back in their faces. I’m pretty sure L’pool if they had the chance wouldn’t sell Sterling to City given a redo for the same reasons. I’m also pretty sure Spurs hypothetically would rather sell Kane to Madrid for £175m than United for £200m. And likewise, United would sell those categorized players for lesser money if it meant not having to deal with them directly imo.
We’re talking about Mourinho and Man Utd, though, not any other club.

He’s already stated he thinks there should be more transfers between top clubs in England and I think the board trust his judgement fully.

Just my observations.

Mylock

Would you blame Martial for dropping the shoulders. Since Sanchez was signed (which was a big mistake) both rashford and Martial have been poor and been given limited chances. The only reason sanchez is in the team is Jose is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake. Its easy to pick on Martial as he's a foreigner and has a dour personality, Rashford has been far worst and gets off a lot lighter

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Like I said, both he and the club will see how this season goes. If it goes horribly wrong, then we'll both look to end it by the end of the season, but someone with Tony's talent needs to be given all the opportunity to have it realised. The potential upside of it working out is far more than anything we'd get in a sale.
Spot on. Hope he stays, focuses on showing that he's the player we know he can be, and then signs up for the foreseeable.

Craig Ward

Martial can't lace Sanchez's boots - at least not now anyway. I will take the so called 'average' display of Sanchez over what Martial has been serving lately. Sanchez puts his soul on the pitch. That is priceless for me. And frankly, players with his reputation, are often played even when not at their best until it is proven beyond every reasonable doubt that they are finished. It may not be fair but it is what it is in football. The likes of Martial and Rashford are not there yet. They just need to humble themselves, bid their time and grab their opportunities, otherwise, they should leave. I have seen these kids given opportunities they bungle. This is not a mid table club. It is Manchester United at a period the club is desperate to return to the top. I am getting especially tired of transfer news around Martial. I remember Jose saying, early two seasons ago, that Martial needs to listen less to his agent and more to his coach. Rumours of his departure had been ignited as far back as then. I'll be delighted if he stays and is happy but if he desperately wants to go, he should go and be properly replaced. That will be the best for everyone.
If this is level of performance from Sanchez is "leaving his soul on the pitch" then I dread to think how this season will go for us.

he's gone from being one of the leagues best to not being able to control the ball, cant hold the ball up, cant pass. He has been atrocious since joining us.

And no matter what, whoever you are whatever you have done in the game you should never ever be picked on reputation as you suggest. You get picked because you have earned the right.

Martial did not deserve to be dropped, and even after he was and Sanchez played like garbage for 2-3 games then Sanchez should have been dropped due to abysmal form.

But its a PR game, we gambled hugely on nicking Sanchez from City therefore he has to play to save face. City must be laughing they're heads off the amount we pay him and the garbage he has produced for us.

Martial should start

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How does he not? Any more than the board? Presumably we receive an offer and if the player wants to go Mourinho decides whether to agree to the sale or not.

Unless I’m missing something.
The club sets valuations on players, don't think it's Mourinho. Do you think he's the one that rejected the bid for Darmian? Pretty sure if Ed has told Mourinho that it's the club's policy not to sell to rivals (which it is), he'd have no issue with that.
In anycasea, I think it's academic. There no sign that Tony will push for a move and even if he did,a host of clubs would be after him.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Yea I feel the same way.

I think the Alexis move was a mixture of preventing him of going to City + also getting someone to put Martial on his toes. Prior to that, the position was generally his and there was no pressure for him to pick it up or any of that. Now he knows the club can move on without him if it comes down to it so he knows he & the club can’t wait any longer and need immediate results. I mean seriously it’s been 3-4 years now, either he takes the step or he’s sold and replaced simple as that. Same sort of scenario with Shaw. The club and José want to win now so no more waiting around. Show some urgency - you either prove yourself or you don’t.

Sereques

I think it's made up that he needs an arm around the shoulder. He already performed when treated strongly by the manager as a sub.

Martial's problem is that he is not the correct type of player for the system. He would play more under a 2 striker system, like Conte or Jardim.
This is why I get tired of media, class of 92 or whatever experts they have on sky, bein sports etc. Nobody know what is going on. Nobody have a clue about Marital. Everything they all say is assumptions. They assume Mourinho is bad for Martial blah blah blah. Maybe Martial problem is because he's 22 years old. Shocking that a 22 yrs old player is not consistent right? I mean how consistent was Scholes at the age of 22? How consistent are the freaks of the game Ronaldo, Rooney at the age of 22 yrs?

Do you remember the Pogba performance against Newcastle and the substitution? Do you remember the meltdown in the media and among United fans? Mourinho was called different kind of names. Guess what, Pogba had a virus and he couldn't breath hence the poor performance. At this point, I don't even read any opinion from the media anymore. They have no fecking clue.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Don't wanna see Martial go to Spurs unless Erickson or Kane are coming in return.

His previous form is too good to just hand him to a rival.

Sell him abroad or don't sell.
The more money the PL gets compared to other leagues the more difficult this policy will be to maintain. As for Martial, the clubs who could easily afford him will probably not want him.

Having said that, I think he'll stay.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The more money the PL gets compared to other leagues the more difficult this policy will be to maintain. As for Martial, the clubs who could easily afford him will probably not want him.

Having said that, I think he'll stay.
If true, I guess you'll be the club hit hardest by this, since more than any club you seem to find pride in the whole, 'Only sell them abroad' approach.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If true, I guess you'll be the club hit hardest by this, since more than any club you seem to find pride in the whole, 'Only sell them abroad' approach.
Yeah, already happened last season with Walker. No doubt we would want to sell abroad, but who would pay what City paid? If you don't strengthen yourself as much as possible then it doesn't help much if you also don't strengthen a rival since there are 5 of them. This isn't a 2 team league.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is why I get tired of media, class of 92 or whatever experts they have on sky, bein sports etc. Nobody know what is going on. Nobody have a clue about Marital. Everything they all say is assumptions. They assume Mourinho is bad for Martial blah blah blah. Maybe Martial problem is because he's 22 years old. Shocking that a 22 yrs old player is not consistent right? I mean how consistent was Scholes at the age of 22? How consistent are the freaks of the game Ronaldo, Rooney at the age of 22 yrs?

Do you remember the Pogba performance against Newcastle and the substitution? Do you remember the meltdown in the media and among United fans? Mourinho was called different kind of names. Guess what, Pogba had a virus and he couldn't breath hence the poor performance. At this point, I don't even read any opinion from the media anymore. They have no fecking clue.
That's not true - they were right consistently asking why mourinho had made some of the hottest 2 central striking prospects compete with each other on the left wing.

I agree with them. They have been handled poorly.

Jose has the option of bringing his system & his tactics to united whilst sidelining every player that does not fit or he has the option of looking at the players at his disposal trying to find the best system for them whilst making tweaks towards his own tactics. He chose the first - instantly making us start deeper than we needed to.

For example - Klopp has managed to build a countrr attacking pressuring team whilst utilising one false 9 and 2 inside forwards. This is a mix of his old tactics & a mix of the players at his disposal.

Pep has got 2 AM's protected by a fixed CDM playing possession football. New mixed with the old depending on the players.

Every Tom dick & Harry new that this club should have been playing with 2 strikers from the moment Jose came in because we had Rashford, Martial Ibrahimovic & later on Lukaku.

Yet Jose has chosen to bring his tried & trusted method to united without making any changes - thus heavily disturbing Rashford & Martial's progress even though they can pull off a good 15 min display here and there.

The legends have been right from Giggs to Bobby Charlton to Neville. Things could have been better & should have been better. If Martial was rubbish & serves no purpose for us or for he future - sell him to a rival. The fact is Jose is not flexible with his system & in this current day his system is looking more and more aged even though it can grind out results.

Lukaku himself is being forced in to a system that doesn't get the best out of him rather, acting lilke Drogba 2.0 rather than himself with the help of a support striker. Pogba played deep lying playmaker for 2/3rd of the season Again due to tactical strictness. The only player that has improved is Lingard because he has been played in his correct position - he broke through as a RM but was always an Am.

If he did the same with Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford,l and so on then we would have a better united team that played in the position that got the best out of them. We don't need to be Chelsea 3.0 - I want to see the next Great United team and so does the class of 92