Martial exit?

edgecutter

Don't do it to yourselves. Martial will fail the medical and be back in on the doctors table in Carrington.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We all need to face facts, when he’s fit he’ll be our starting striker this season.

the_cliff

We all need to face facts, when he’s fit he’ll be our starting striker this season.
I agree, the problem is when he's fit. I think if Martial didn't have his injury record not many people would be open to selling him, the problem is he can't stay fit...

captain666

I know it's gonna be a little tautological but try to buy them at lesser fees and pay less extravagant wages. Realistically Utd mostly sells to poorer clubs.
Easier said than done because very generous wages is probably how United can convince players despite the club attractivity declining.

I'd say buy better players and younger but in the Martial case that's what the club tried to do.
You don't see 'tautological' very often,let alone the Caf

Orange Tree

This is not happening. Our best hope is that he can contribute somewhat this season and be let go next season.

Fahad Jawaid

We should not sell him unless we can get a striker which is better than him, not another stupid Wout type signing.

OrcaFat

First of all he almost never fit. When he is fit he is almost never match fit. When he is match fit he almost never plays particularly well. Hojlund doesn’t have a very high bar to clear here.

KD6-3.7

It’s not going to happen but we could really do with a healthy and fit Martial this season while Højlund adapts to the premier league.

Thing is when Martial is fit he really isn’t that good nowadays, seems to have lost that explosiveness of pace and nowadays the slightest touch is enough to keep him out for weeks at a time.

bringbackbebe

I'd take a pair of first aid boxes and some bandage in a swap. Isn't he on a 350+/week contract?

Oranges038

I'd take a pair of first aid boxes and some bandage in a swap. Isn't he on a 350+/week contract?
I'd take anything for him. He's not worth tuppence. The last time he should have worn the shirt was the day he was standing around in that loss to Sheffield United.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd take anything for him. He's not worth tuppence. The last time he should have worn the shirt was the day he was standing around in that loss to Sheffield United.
No worse than Rashford on Monday night.

Son

It’s not going to happen but we could really do with a healthy and fit Martial this season while Højlund adapts to the premier league.

Thing is when Martial is fit he really isn’t that good nowadays, seems to have lost that explosiveness of pace and nowadays the slightest touch is enough to keep him out for weeks at a time.
When you’re an athlete and lose all the things that made you special in the first place by your mid 20’s is his problem.

He’s just not very productive, aggressive or developed as a person. Saudi would be the best move for him but they probably don’t rate him either.

Perhaps one of the most hyped up players of all time given his actual talent at football. Average, possibly even lower mid-table calibre CF who promised much more as a wide attacker.

Square peg in a round hole and has been for years.

OverratedOpinion

Rashford was poor, but he at least breaks into a sprint every now and again. Martial just either can't or won't run.
If you'd rather have Rashford as a lone striker than Martial then you surely just don't like Man Utd very much!

Martial is very good at all the things that Marcus is lacking for a lone striker.

Oranges038

If you'd rather have Rashford as a lone striker than Martial then you surely just don't like Man Utd very much!

Martial is very good at all the things that Marcus is lacking for a lone striker.
I'd say people who want Martial to be still at the club anf getting games mustn't like Man Utd very much.

I'd rather have player up front, who's fit can run and can score goals. If that's Martial, then fair enough. But it's not, it's never him because he's never fully fit. So, yeah I'd rather have Rashford up top over him and I'd pick him over Martial every single day of the week.

OverratedOpinion

I'd say people who want Martial to be still at the club anf getting games mustn't like Man Utd very much.

I'd rather have player up front, who's fit can run and can score goals. If that's Martial, then fair enough. But it's not, it's never him because he's never fully fit. So, yeah I'd rather have Rashford up top over him and I'd pick him over Martial every single day of the week.
Yes I don't want to play an injured player up front. Martial should also be replaced with someone who can stay fit but that isn't the discussion.

Martial is clearly far better at that specific role despite Rashford being a better player overall. Rashford is brilliant as a wide scoring forward, terrible as a lone striker.

Oranges038

Yes I don't want to play an injured player up front. Martial should also be replaced with someone who can stay fit but that isn't the discussion.

Martial is clearly far better at that specific role
despite Rashford being a better player overall. Rashford is brilliant as a wide scoring forward, terrible as a lone striker.
Being able to stay fit has to be part of the discussion. In that specific role played to his strengths, Martial might be the better player. But, he's not fit and rarely ever is, so it doesn't matter what he can do when he's fit or if he's better when he's fit. He's never able to stay fully fit and hasn't been for years.

They also play the role differently, Rashford prefers to play off the shoulder and look for breaks in behind. Martial prefers to drop and link up play. There is no point expecting Rashford to play the role in a way that doesn't suit him, just like there's no point in expecting Martial to break in behind with pace. You have to play both to their strengths, right now played to his strengths Rashford is the better player.

dubplate warrior

I think a striker who comes deep and can link up play helps our best forward in Rashford but also our midfield by giving it another option and closing the space in the middle of the pitch for our two 8s.

OverratedOpinion

There is no point expecting Rashford to play the role in a way that doesn't suit him
I don't expect him to play a role that he can't. Sadly we need someone to play that role to allow us to not have the ball bounce back everytime we play it forward and Martial and hopefully Hojlund are the only 2 players in our squad who can do that.

Having a lone centre forward who can't hold up the ball and only wants to play on the shoulder is absolutely horrendous when most teams play a low block defence against you.

Idxomer

A team struggling for goals isn't going to get rid of their 3rd top scorer from the previous season.

dubplate warrior

I don't expect him to play a role that he can't. Sadly we need someone to play that role to allow us to not have the ball bounce back everytime we play it forward and Martial and hopefully Hojlund are the only 2 players in our squad who can do that.

Having a lone centre forward who can't hold up the ball and only wants to play on the shoulder is absolutely horrendous when most teams play a low block defence against you.
Precisely, its causing massive issues for us not just upfront but in terms of making us very vulnerable on the counter. Couple that with a lack of physicality and anyone who can carry the ball is going to isolate Casemiro over and over again. Shaw will have to learn the role and perform it much better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A team struggling for goals isn't going to get rid of their 3rd top scorer from the previous season.
Yes they would if he doesn't play and they've brought in two goalscorers already.

Oranges038

But he is being expected to play that way.

And having a guy on 300k a week who can't even stay fit enough to play football is equally horrendous. Martial should be shipped out. He hasn't been available regularly for years, he won't be missed.

OverratedOpinion

But he is being expected to play that way.

And having a guy on 300k a week who can't even stay fit enough to play football is equally horrendous. Martial should be shipped out. He hasn't been available regularly for years, he won't be missed.
He should only be shipped out if we sign a replacement. If the replacement when Hojlund is unavailable is Rashford up front by himself and Garnacho/Sancho out wide then Martial must stay.

Oranges038

He should only be shipped out if we sign a replacement. If the replacement when Hojlund is unavailable is Rashford up front by himself and Garnacho/Sancho out wide then Martial must stay.
Or maybe he needs to be shipped out to free up the finds and wages for a replacement. Either way, the sooner he's gone the better.

OverratedOpinion

Or maybe he needs to be shipped out to free up the finds and wages for a replacement. Either way, the sooner he's gone the better.
Yes and if we sell Martial and manage to buy a striker who can do the job and is fit more regularly then brilliant.

Very much doubt it consider we would get nearly nothing for him as he's in the last year of his deal and on an over inflated salary.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Selling Martial makes perfect sense plus we have a new striker and one other returning.
We've got one. A new 20 year old striker who has proven absolutely nothing yet in the PL. In a team that struggles for goals.

Plastic Evra

I'd be amazed you could sell him for 15m even to the Saudis. They pay huge wages but didn't break the bank over the fee for Telles, they're not dupes or that eager.
The only upside is that he's fully amortised now ? 13m£ in wages still, oof.

Member 101269

Martial may have been very good at some things, over the last few season's they are so rare of a contribution to the team that they're akin to saying lets keep Fred for the one outstanding goal contribution. Hence, surely if you're happy with paying huge wages for nothing you don't like man udt very much?

OverratedOpinion

Martial may have been very good at some things, over the last few season's they are so rare of a contribution to the team that they're akin to saying lets keep Fred for the one outstanding goal contribution. Hence, surely if you're happy with paying huge wages for nothing you don't like man udt very much?
Depends if you want to talk about made up hypatheticals or not.

If you want to imagine a world where someone is going to buy Martial for enough money for us to buy a replacement that can fulfill that role in the team when Hojlund is available then okay.

If you want to live in reality then Martial is currently on our books and a part of the squad and far better at playing the lone striker role than Rashford so he should play there when available if Hojlund isn't.

Oranges038

Yes and if we sell Martial and manage to buy a striker who can do the job and is fit more regularly then brilliant.

Very much doubt it consider we would get nearly nothing for him as he's in the last year of his deal and on an over inflated salary.
Better off getting something for him now than paying him for a year and letting him walk for nothing.

He's had his chance, he didn't take it. Time to ship him out and move on.

OverratedOpinion

Better off getting something for him now than paying him for a year and letting him walk for nothing.

He's had his chance, he didn't take it. Time to ship him out and move on.
No of course there isn't, wo only have 2 strikers and you want to sell 1 of them even if we don't get a replacement?