Martial exit?

Member 101269

Depends if you want to talk about made up hypatheticals or not.

If you want to imagine a world where someone is going to buy Martial for enough money for us to buy a replacement that can fulfill that role in the team when Hojlund is available then okay.

If you want to live in reality then Martial is currently on our books and a part of the squad and far better at playing the lone striker role than Rashford so he should play there when available if Hojlund isn't.
Im not sure Martials poor contribution over the last few seasons are made up hypatheticals, but if you want to predict a significant future contribution then that probably is. Just saying there is no evidence Martial is capable of a sustained contribution any longer (if he ever did).

Last edited by a moderator:

Oranges038

No of course there isn't, wo only have 2 strikers and you want to sell 1 of them even if we don't get a replacement?
I want to sell a player who's in the last year of a huge contract, barely plays because of injury and offers shag all when he does play. Who's minutes could probably be replaced with anybody with a pulse and an able body.

I prefer to look at it that way.

OverratedOpinion

I want to sell a player who's in the last year of a huge contract, barely plays becaus of injury and offers shag all when he does play. Who's minutes could probably be replaced with anybody with a pulse and an able body.

I prefer to look at it that way.
Only player in the team we know for a fact can play well at this level as a lone striker, 3rd top scorer last season despite not playing much. Proven he can score regularely at this level.

You want to get rid and get literally nothing on return for what reason? A bit more money in the Glazers pockets?

Oranges038

Only player in the team we know for a fact can play well at this level as a lone striker, 3rd top scorer last season despite not playing much. Proven he can score regularely at this level.

You want to get rid and get literally nothing on return for what reason? A bit more money in the Glazers pockets?
Because he's on about 300k a week and he's never fit. That 300k a week could be spent feeding the pigeons for all I care. Or Joel could use it for wiping his arse, same affect as giving it to Tony.

OverratedOpinion

Because he's on about 300k a week and he's never fit. That 300k a week could be spent feeding the pigeons for all I care. Or Joel could use it for wiping his arse, same affect as giving it to Tony.
No, it's not. You clearly are fed up with the player and just want him gone. The idea that he plays badly when he does actually play is just factually untrue. He's very, very good especially at link up and the things outside of scoring goals.

https://fbref.com/en/players/8b788c01/Anthony-Martial

There you go, that is what he does per 90 when he's fit.

It's like people who are so unhappy with Maguire that if he stays they would rather just stick him in the reserves and not have enough backup centre backs. This is even more silly because Martial is a significantly better player than Maguire.

Also a large chunk of the 250k (not 300) you are talking about is made up of bonuses that he has to achieve to get.

Last edited:

Member 101269

21 PL games played last season and 9 goals, 13 as CF and 6 goals whereas, MR 35 PL games and 17 goals, 14 as CF and 7 goals. Just saying the stats aren't as you suggest, and we do have a lone striker. No he hasn't proven he is good enough, or can sustain a performance.

OverratedOpinion

21 PL games played last season and 9 goals, 13 as CF and 6 goals whereas, MR 35 PL games and 17 goals, 14 as CF and 7 goals. Just saying the stats aren't as you suggest, and we do have a lone striker. No he hasn't proven he is good enough, or can sustain a performance.
Break it down to goals per minute, also look slightly deeper and you will find that Martial has drastically better underlying stats for that role.

Or just use your eyes and you will see that when Martial plays up front the ball sticks and when Rashford does it doesn't.

Let's hope Hojlund does very well, I think he will. We still need to add if though.

croadyman

No, it's not. You clearly are fed up with the player and just want him gone. The idea that he plays badly when he does actually play is just factually untrue. He's very, very good especially at link up and the things outside of scoring goals.

It's like people who are so unhappy with Maguire that if he stays they would rather just stick him in the reserves and not have enough backup centre backs. This is even more silly because Martial is a significantly better player than Maguire.

Also a large chunk of the 250k (not 300) you are talking about is made up of bonuses that he has to achieve to get.
Just frustrates me when Martial won't push to get on the end of low crosses but that's not him

Member 101269

Break it down to goals per minute, also look slightly deeper and you will find that Martial has drastically better underlying stats for that role.
Or just use your eyes and you will see that when Martial plays up front the ball sticks and when Rashford does it doesn't.
Let's hope Hojlund does very well, I think he will. We still need to add if though.
The bigger question is why he didnt play, was it he's being managed all season due to injury? If so, then by breaking it down you're attempting to create hypotheticals again and ignoring his injury for convenience?

Oranges038

There's that magic phrase again... "when he's fit"..

If you have to continually use that phrase when talking about a footballer, then that should be enough to tell you why he needs to go.

ErikElevenHag

The **** of martial is still alive and kicking I see.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rashford played 3 times as many minutes.

His problem is injuries. Which is a huge problem admittedly.

Chairman Steve

It’d be great if a Saudi team rocked up with £25m for him, and we could spend it along with whatever ambiguous funds we have on a decent replacement. He’s going to be plying his trade in Saudi soon enough though in my opinion.

He could have been a player but I don’t think he’s got the mentality for the top echelon of football (get the feeling he thrives on being the undisputed main man) and obviously the injuries are racking up at an alarming rate these days.

OverratedOpinion

The bigger question is why he didnt play, was it he's being managed all season due to injury? If so, then by breaking it down you're attempting to create hypotheticals again and ignoring his injury for convenience?
No I'm not, I'm saying that he's good when he plays.

I'm saying he doesn't play enough, I'm saying that in an ideal world he would be replaced.

I'm also saying I doubt that is possible so considering how light we are there I would rather have 25 games from him this season than the nothing being proposed other than a bit more money in the Glazers pockets.

croadyman

It’d be great if a a Saudi team rocked up with £25m for him, and we could spend it on a decent replacement. He’s going to be plying his trade in Saudi soon enough though in my opinion.

He could have been a player but I don’t think he’s got the mentality for the top echelon of football (get the feeling he thrives on being the undisputed main man) and obviously the injuries are racking up at an alarming rate these days.
Yeah give me either of Orban/Leonardo as another talented potential,alternative is going for someone proven like Taremi/Morata

OverratedOpinion

The **** of martial is still alive and kicking I see.
I've said if he could be replaced it would be brilliant, I've said he is injured too much.

I've also said that he is a good football player and that I'd rather have him for 25 games this season or whatever than the hypathetical nothing that is being offered as an alternative. Especially considering we are so light up front.

OverratedOpinion

There's that magic phrase again... "when he's fit"..

If you have to continually use that phrase when talking about a footballer, then that should be enough to tell you why he *needs to be replaced.*
There I fixed that for you.

25 games from him is better than the hypathetical nothing apart from a few more quid in the Glazers pockets that you are offering as an alternative.

croadyman

Martial,Hojlund and backup 9 would have been decent options to choose from this season

Member 101269

No I'm not, I'm saying that he's good when he plays.

I'm saying he doesn't play enough, I'm saying that in an ideal world he would be replaced.

I'm also saying I doubt that is possible so considering how light we are there I would rather have 25 games from him this season than the nothing being proposed other than a bit more money in the Glazers pockets.
But you are. No, youre asking for time comparision which, in reality, doesnt exist and hasn't for many years. We have a striker, MR has been more reliable/ more consistently available than AM. 25 games is a bit of a stretch as CF given we have a new CF, and MR is matching AM for stats. Why keep him for that odd occassion he might be available and the new CF isn't available? It seems very odd..

OverratedOpinion

But you are. No, youre asking for time comparision which, in reality, doesnt exist and hasn't for many years. We have a striker, MR has been more reliable/ more consistently available than AM. 25 games is a bit of a stretch as CF given we have a new CF, and MR is matching AM for stats. Why keep him for that odd occassion he might be available and the new CF isn't available? It seems very odd..
You are missing 1 key factor in all of that. Rashford's performance levels as a lone striker are more often than not very poor.

Whether he personally scored a few goals running in behind from that position or not is irrelevant, he is bad at receiving the ball with his back to goal, his touch fails him too often in that area, he is not good at interplay in that position.

Cracking wide forward but playing him as a lone man up top is detrimental to our football. I'm not going to labour the point, if you disagree that's okay.

I'd rather go into the season with 2 players who can play in that position to a competent level, if the only option for those 2 players is 1 who's too injury prone then that 1 and a half is still better than 1.

whitbyviking

25 games from him is better than the hypathetical nothing apart from a few more quid in the Glazers pockets that you are offering as an alternative.
I don’t see us getting 25 games from him in any season from now

Oranges038

25 hypothetical appearances is better than the hypothetical nothing.

Pretty low standards.

OverratedOpinion

25 hypothetical appearances is better than the hypothetical nothing.

Pretty low standards.
You set the parameters of nothing.

I think he should have been replaced years ago, at the very latest immediately after the Sevilla loan. But you are discussing a scenario where we don't replace him at all so you are setting those standards in the discussion.

Oranges038

You set the parameters of nothing.

I think he should have been replaced years ago, at the very latest immediately after the Sevilla loan. But you are discussing a scenario where we don't replace him at all so you are setting those standards in the discussion.
I said he needs to go and that maybe he needs to go before he can be replaced. I never actually said the hypothetical alternative is nothing. Like I said before on numerous occasions that SU loss should have been his last in a Utd shirt. I said it at the time.

The alternative is Rashford and Hojlund. On the wings you have Garnacho, Sancho, Amad, Antony and Pellistri. That's 7 players for 3 forward positions. Quality might be somewhat questionable but at least they are mostly fit and available.

Cantonagotmehere

Would love this to be true, but sadly we need him. Can trust these jokers to find a striker if he goes. Anyone from the youth squads that could do a job if needed?

OverratedOpinion

The alternative is Rashford and Hojlund. On the wings you have Garnacho, Sancho, Amad, Antony and Pellistri. That's 7 players for 3 forward positions. Quality might be somewhat questionable but at least they are mostly fit and available.
But he's better than Rashford (in that position) when available.

This is what I'm not getting here. Would you not just want the best possible player playing in that position for any given match?

It just feels like frustration with Martial is clouding logic.

Redcy

I would rather bring anybody in and play them there than play Martial in the CF role. You keep saying I would rather him play for 25 games like thats anywhere near what he plays, you make statements about how his stats over 90 minutes are great. Those 25 games played last year equate to around 40 minutes per game at most. However the biggest issues is not that he plays like that, he appears for a month at a time before getting injured, whilst yes when fit he does ok, all we are doing is giving minutes to a guy who we are all just waiting on for him to fall to pieces. HE can never get into the groove of playing as a striker, and the team cant ever get used to playing with him. We would be better either just going ahead and bringing in a youth team striker or playing Sancho up there. If we gave other players his minutes may be they could get into a groove or improve in that role.

OverratedOpinion

I would rather bring anybody in and play them there than play Martial in the CF role. You keep saying I would rather him play for 25 games like thats anywhere near what he plays, you make statements about how his stats over 90 minutes are great. Those 25 games played last year equate to around 40 minutes per game at most. However the biggest issues is not that he plays like that, he appears for a month at a time before getting injured, whilst yes when fit he does ok, all we are doing is giving minutes to a guy who we are all just waiting on for him to fall to pieces. HE can never get into the groove of playing as a striker, and the team cant ever get used to playing with him. We would be better either just going ahead and bringing in a youth team striker or playing Sancho up there. If we gave other players his minutes may be they could get into a groove or improve in that role.
He can never get into the "groove" yet he does well when he's there?

Name the youth striker who you thinks shown anything that indicates they could perform even close to the level he can when on the pitch, I haven't seen them and I don't think Sancho is the answer either.

Most of your post is totally negated by the fact that we are talking about a backup striker who's games are expected to be infrequent.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why is there activity in this thread what is happening?