Martial exit?

pascell

Since slabby ain't leaving we will need to generate funds somehow incl martial.
Regardless they need to hurry the feck up. Window closes on the 1st September
The fact we're so close to the window closing says how poor our summer has been and how little we've learnt in terms of selling players.

Plastic Evra

While I'd probably agree Martial is not worth a lot, we've been hammered by the message (and reality) that there's no incomings without sales and presumably funds levied through them. For all his dodgy availability Martial is the closest to a 9 backup for Hojlund, I'd imagine we might need to bring someone even on a (paying) loan to replace him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
While I'd probably agree Martial is not worth a lot, we've been hammered by the message (and reality) that there's no incomings without sales and presumably funds levied through them. For all his dodgy availability Martial is the closest to a 9 backup for Hojlund, I'd imagine we might need to bring someone even on a (paying) loan to replace him.
I rather have martial around than keep Maguire around if we are trying to raise funds.

sglowrider

Actually fecking sell them?! Just an idea….
I am sure that's what they have been trying to do. The question is how do we improve the process of selling?

Pay them less so that we can sell them easier? But that may make getting them difficult to begin with. Otherwise with I have no clue to we can improve our outgoing business.

croadyman

Be very surprised if we are in for a striker (loan/free) as moving Tony looks impossible

Last edited:

Lee565

How can we improve in how we sell players?
Stop clinging to them for so long and paying them undeserved wages, we should have moved the likes of martial on long ago, same is happening with sancho, bissaka, mctominay and probably further down the line it will be Antony and mount

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I am sure that's what they have been trying to do. The question is how do we improve the process of selling?

Pay them less so that we can sell them easier? But that may make getting them difficult to begin with. Otherwise with I have no clue to we can improve our outgoing business.
I think the non-flippant answer is It’s going to be a combination of factors.
Not giving out stupid big contracts is one factor.
Mitten made a good point on Mondays TOTD pod, in that we don’t sell well because we aren’t winning and there isn’t huge demand for our players. If we improve on the pitch results then selling should be easier.
There must be something to it because other teams seem to get good money for their fringe players and deadwood and we are literally struggling to give players away.

croadyman

Stop clinging to them for so long and paying them undeserved wages, we should have moved the likes of martial on long ago, same is happening with sancho, bissaka, mctominay and probably further down the line it will be Antony and mount
Yeah the Toy Story puppet and his sidekick issuing high wages has caused these problems

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mitten made a good point on Mondays TOTD pod, in that we don’t sell well because we aren’t winning and there isn’t huge demand for our players. If we improve on the pitch results then selling should be easier.
There must be something to it because other teams seem to get good money for their fringe players and deadwood and we are literally struggling to give players away.
Can’t be about us not winning. Look at Chelseas sales.
Also we have always struggled to sell well, even under Fergie

Plastic Evra

I know it's gonna be a little tautological but try to buy them at lesser fees and pay less extravagant wages. Realistically Utd mostly sells to poorer clubs.
Easier said than done because very generous wages is probably how United can convince players despite the club attractivity declining.

I'd say buy better players and younger but in the Martial case that's what the club tried to do.

Redcy

Actually fecking sell them?! Just an idea….
I know you like a good moan but I am unsure what you expect the club to do, of course we are struggling to shift our shite because we offered them contracts to stay/join, but thats not a problem of selling is it? Thats a problem with buying not seling.The club have been trying to get rid of McTominay and Maguire, they have got rid of Fred, we cant sell Maguire for less than our needed book value for FFP reasons, and noone wants McT, noone wants to buy Martial for other more obvious reasons not related to his wages, Sancho you can make an argument for.

Mount has played one fecking game for the club, and people already want him gone, Hojlund hasn't played a game yet and apparently he is shit..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I assume all the people who have a problem with each footballer leaving for Saudi will not be wanting him to go there. For me it is a bit more nuanced, I'd like him to leave for 20m or so.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I know you like a good moan but I am unsure what you expect the club to do, of course we are struggling to shift our shite because we offered them contracts to stay/join, but thats not a problem of selling is it? Thats a problem with buying not seling.The club have been trying to get rid of McTominay and Maguire, they have got rid of Fred, we cant sell Maguire for less than our needed book value for FFP reasons, and noone wants McT, noone wants to buy Martial for other more obvious reasons not related to his wages, Sancho you can make an argument for.

Mount has played one fecking game for the club, and people already want him gone, Hojlund hasn't played a game yet and apparently he is shit..
You know feck all lad cos that post was tongue in cheek, maybe lighten up or jog on?
As for our selling this summer we’ve lost buyers for at least 3 players cos we wouldn’t pay them off or messed the other club around waiting to find a replacement. We can’t be that desperate to move these guys on. The biggest issue is how slow we do everything.

sglowrider

I know it's gonna be a little tautological but try to buy them at lesser fees and pay less extravagant wages. Realistically Utd mostly sells to poorer clubs.
Easier said than done because very generous wages is probably how United can convince players despite the club attractivity declining.

I'd say buy better players and younger but in the Martial case that's what the club tried to do.
Agree. It's never as easy as it sounds.

Management is always about trying to make the right decisions based on what you perceive to be the right priorities within a given set of information. Its always easy to criticise from the outside whether in hindsight or based on very little information.

The perfect example of buying younger players is Caicedo. I think that will be our bugbear for the next decade. It wasn't that it was impossible to get him out of Ecuador under his complicated contractual situation -- when a club like Brighton with fewer resources can do it all the time -- why can't United?

Seems like Woodward thought the bigger the fee the more likely the chances of success -- despite the fact that this Galacticos approach failed at RM.

sglowrider

Totally agree -- if we are winning we can attract players for a lower salary like a Vidic. And during the successful period, we used to sell sub-United standard players for highway robbery prices. Other clubs wanted to buy their leadership and winning mentality.

So unless we start getting successful, we will for now struggle to sell players at decent prices since they are on high wages.

Vicious cycle.

The only other thing maybe is to have a better ecosystem of agents?

croadyman

Totally agree -- if we are winning we can attract players for a lower salary like a Vidic. And during the successful period, we used to sell sub-United standard players for highway robbery prices. Other clubs wanted to buy their leadership and winning mentality.

So unless we start getting successful, we will for now struggle to sell players at decent prices since they are on high wages.

Vicious cycle.

The only other thing maybe is to have a better ecosystem of agents?
That's a very valid point about needing to be more successful on the pitch. Chelsea didn't have that this summer but fortunately the Saudi Arabian league significantly funded their deals

sglowrider

That's a very valid point about needing to be more successful on the pitch. Chelsea didn't have that this summer but fortunately the Saudi Arabian league significantly funded their deals
Thats why I mentioned the need of having a wider/better ecosystem of agents. You know that some agents have their preference for working with certain DOFs/CEOs. I am sure Boehley has some complicated financial structure that makes Chelsea players more beneficial to other clubs and especially the agents. Being a publically listed company, its more difficult for us to create such a financial web to hide or pay off agents.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well given his wage Saudi is our only hope. But would they be willing to take a sicknote?

PSV

We can sell to Saudi but we need to get any replacements in before the 1st of Sept though.
What a horrible situation that would be. We'd end up giving him away just to get the wages off.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah true and we wouldn't release him until a replacement had been found. Doesn't feel like there's any legs to this anyway
I don't think we'd try to replace him, I reckon we'd use that to just get Amrabat.

We have Hojlund and in 8 matches out of 10 we would probably have had to rely on Rashford to play up top as a back up instead of Martial anyway.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Along with Mag and MC, hope we offload this guy too. Don't think striker replacement is priority given than we have a better one waiting in the wings. We need midfielders and RB/CB desperately.

sglowrider

He would be a very different 9 to Hojlund
ETH's dream will be to have players who can play multiple roles so he can play different steups and tactics. So I can see where he can appreciate what Martial, when healthy can bring to his table.

Gordon S

The warm weather will do him good, his injury issues will be a thing of the past.
If Mason Mount with 1 year left on his contract is worth 60m, i would say Martial is worth 80m, i mean, he is for sure a more talented player. It`s pocket change for the Saudis. Let`s make it happen.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We aren't selling a striker with 12 days left of the window.

Member 101269

The warm weather will do him good, his injury issues will be a thing of the past.
If Mason Mount with 1 year left on his contract is worth 60m, i would say Martial is worth 80m, i mean, he is for sure a more talented player. It`s pocket change for the Saudis. Let`s make it happen.
80m? 30m if we’re lucky