Martial exit?

zaafi

You use Series A, Ligue 1 and BL as your examples of 'weaker leagues' then use a PL player, transferred between PL clubs as an example of a transfer fee.

Great logic there.
This post makes zero sense. What has Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 being weaker leagues anything to do with transfers between PL teams? I'm honestly stunned this is what you managed to scrape together from that post, using it as an argument like it is somehow relevant to anything? Not only that, you have the audacity to finish with "great logic" after that tragic logic of yours? :lol:

AC Milan just bought Christian fecking Pulisic for €20m. You don't think they can pay £15m for Martial?

zaafi

You say "Martial would likely do very well in a weaker league" but you rate him for £30m.

But clubs outside of the Premier-League-money-bubble, the top clubs (Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich, Paris) and now clubs in Saudi Arabia have no money to pay that (Fee and wages) for a player like Martial.

So if you think that for example clubs like Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Nepoli, Roma, Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Leipzig or Marseille will pay £30m for Martial then you live in your own bubble........£15m would be fantastic for him and that is a realistic fee for him after the last years.
I said I value him at £30m. I didn't say I expect to get it for him.

And like I said in another post above; AC Milan bought Pulisic for €20m, a worse player than Martial who is even more injury prone. You don't think we could get that for him?

Djemba-Djemba

I'd be happy with £10m.

Nobody in Europe would have spent anything on him, I was resigned to him hanging around another year where he's injured for 70% of the time and you might get 2 or 3 good cameos from him at best.

Getting his massive wages off the books would be a boost on it's own.

Scholsey2004

For the like of me I can’t figure out why anyone would want to sell him right now. Do folks on here not understand squad positions?

Totally agree that he’s not the answer at ST for our ambitions…he’s not good enough and gets hurt too easily. But he is a perfect squad ST as he plays to ETH’s style. He’s been quite good when fit in fact. So why sell him?

One…right now we have zero other pure STs, so selling him would be mad. Yes he gets hurt but one often hurt ST is better than zero.

Two…if we don get a legit starting ST, as mentioned earlier he is a perfect back up. So again…why sell him?

I just don’t get the rush to sell all of these players to basically gut the team and give us absolutely no depth. Many of these guys are perfect squad players.
If your subs have injury problems then you cant guarantee theyll be available when your first choice is injured. That makes their presence completely pointless. I'd much rather have subs with low talent and high availability than the other way around.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

And like I said in another post above; AC Milan bought Pulisic for €20m, a worse player than Martial who is even more injury prone. You don't think we could get that for him?
What was Pulisic’s wage? You know Martial is on circa £200k (actually £250k iirc) per week, right?

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

I reckon the wage of Martial is much higher than the wage of Pulisic was at Chelsea and the nationality of Pulisic is a factor too.

zaafi

:lol: feck me in what world is he £30m. He can't cross the road without falling apart.
You're saying that as if £30m is some absurd number. He played 26 matches.

I'm not saying we're getting that much for him, but he is 27 and can overcome injuries like many players have done before, and if he does that he can elevate many teams.

Remember how injury prone Gundogan was for Dortmund and City took a gamble, paid €20m and he went on to become one of the world's best midfielders?
Not saying Martial will reach that level, of course, just that he has a massive talent and it will likely be easier for him to show that in a weaker team with less pressure.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Brah, stop it. It's my memories :lol:

If you really want to keep clowning and make subjective rankings then lets feckin go, give em to me. Start with a top ten and let's see many standout to me.
My memory is like a sieve but off the top of my head.
1- Debut.
2- last minute winner against spurs.
3 - header in the Europa against Wolfsburg.
4 - last minute assist against Newcastle for Pogba header.
5 - last minute winner (or was it an equaliser? Someone help me out) against Chelsea.
6 - sitting van Dyke on his arse against Southampton and scoring.
7 - FA cup semi final winner against Everton
8 - A MOTM display against City a couple season ago (he had a couple brilliant ones against them).
9 - can’t think of a specific game but he electric in that post covid period under Ole. Must be a specific game I’m forgetting in there!
10 - Stunning solo goal I think against Burnley.

There are many more that I’m forgetting because my memory is terrible but they are literally off the top of my head. Don’t get me wrong it’s time to go, but I can’t pretend that he hasn’t had some fantastic moments at the club and in spells been one of our best players.

zaafi

What was Pulisic’s wage? You know Martial is on circa £200k (actually £250k iirc) per week, right?
That does not mean he will get that at a new club. He has one year left here, not getting a renewal so if he wishes to continue his career, he is going to have to take a pay cut.

daba

For the like of me I can’t figure out why anyone would want to sell him right now. Do folks on here not understand squad positions?

Totally agree that he’s not the answer at ST for our ambitions…he’s not good enough and gets hurt too easily. But he is a perfect squad ST as he plays to ETH’s style. He’s been quite good when fit in fact. So why sell him?

One…right now we have zero other pure STs, so selling him would be mad. Yes he gets hurt but one often hurt ST is better than zero.

Two…if we don get a legit starting ST, as mentioned earlier he is a perfect back up. So again…why sell him?

I just don’t get the rush to sell all of these players to basically gut the team and give us absolutely no depth. Many of these guys are perfect squad players.
I think once we have Hojland sorted, if we receive a sufficient bid we should let him go.

We would however need to replace him. I don’t think Højlund, Rashford and Sancho as a F9 is enough to last a season.

I expect us to sign an experienced ST (can’t think of who now Taremi has been snapped up) or another young striker (someone like Orban).

JagUTD

Makes sense for him to go if we are set to bring in a player who scores 50% more goals in 50% more games :wenger:

AneRu

I think once we have Hojland sorted, if we receive a sufficient bid we should let him go.

We would however need to replace him. I don’t think Højlund, Rashford and Sancho as a F9 is enough to last a season.

I expect us to sign an experienced ST (can’t think of who now Taremi has been snapped up) or another young striker (someone like Orban).
If we get Hoijlund over then line and manage to sell a few of the deadwood we should go for a journeyman striker to help shoulder the scoring load. If we could get a decent striker, doesn't have to be world class but someone who can score 15 in a season, then we will never need to shoehorn Rashford in as a centre striker which will allow him to focus on where he is best at then that would be worth it iny view.

Varun1

You're saying that as if £30m is some absurd number. He played 26 matches.

I'm not saying we're getting that much for him, but he is 27 and can overcome injuries like many players have done before, and if he does that he can elevate many teams.

Remember how injury prone Gundogan was for Dortmund and City took a gamble, paid €20m and he went on to become one of the world's best midfielders?
Not saying Martial will reach that level, of course, just that he has a massive talent and it will likely be easier for him to show that in a weaker team with less pressure.
You're constantly having a swipe at posters and contradicting your own posts mate.

You value Tony at 30m but then agree that we won't get that much for him. Call Gundogan a WC cm who overcame his injuries but admit that Tony is unlikely to reach that level.

You say MGW went for 50m between 2 PL teams and therefore Tony should sell a lot more than 10m to a weaker league!

Am all for different opinions and a healthy debate but you come across very childish.

Redcy

You keep saying he played 21 games last year, without the note that he averaged 40 odd minutes

Gandalf

Doesn’t appear to be any credible source for this but if someone will take him for free I would do it to get shot of his wages. If the Saudi’s really are interested it might be Telles level in terms of a fee and I would take it.

zaafi

You're constantly having a swipe at posters and contradicting your own posts mate.

You value Tony at 30m but then agree that we won't get that much for him. Call Gundogan a WC cm who overcame his injuries but admit that Tony is unlikely to reach that level.

You say MGW went for 50m between 2 PL teams and therefore Tony should sell a lot more than 10m to a weaker league!

Am all for different opinions and a healthy debate but you come across very childish.
Sorry, but how is that having a swipe?

I don't follow what you're saying, anyway. He isn't going to be a world class player, but that does not mean he is worth £10m.

Calling me childish for valuing a player of ours more than you value him is a bit strange.

Castia

Won’t be happening we are too light up top

injury prone or not
Shouldn’t be an excuse we have time to get a replacement.

Injury prone, last year of his contract and second choice (presuming we sign a striker which seems certain) can you imagine his attitude this season?

You know what take away the injury record and he’s not good enough anyway, keeping him around because we’re short in attack is one of the reasons the squad is full of mediocre shite

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That does not mean he will get that at a new club. He has one year left here, not getting a renewal so if he wishes to continue his career, he is going to have to take a pay cut.
Yeah but that’s not what I’m saying though? We’re talking about his value and I’d be surprised if anyone in Europe would offer anywhere near the £30m you value him at.

zaafi

Yeah but that’s not what I’m saying though? We’re talking about his value and I’d be surprised if anyone in Europe would offer anywhere near the £30m you value him at.
It's not going to happen anyway as we're unable to sell our players for more than £15m :lol:

Nick7

Pulisic has made more appearances than Martial in 3 of the last 4 seasons since he joined Chelsea.

Redcy

To note up until April he was out for 65% of games. In the previous year he was out for 50% of games toward the end of the year. The year before he was out 30% of games.

Gundogan was never this consistent year on year. When at Dortmund he still played more than 30 games, having only short periods out, and when he played averaged 80+ mins.

the only year he didn’t was when he went to city, was out for a year effectively , and when he was in he still played 80 mins per game. Since that year he has been injured for small month long stretches usually at the start of the tear

jesperjaap

Should get rid of him for whatever fee we can, Saudi liek Bailly would be an amazing bonus if t is a decent fee.

See quite a lot of comments that we will be liight up front, well it was blindngly obvious we needed to sign two striker this summer, months ago.

So many post about a back up central midfielder to Casemeiro as a prority second only to a strker and maybe keeper.....when we have Mainoo, Hannbal and McFred if we need to keep one......yet we have always only had a crock in Martial as our only strking option, was only a month or so ago the talk of a "top strker and younger one".....we were never lkely to get Kane or Omshen.

We should be tryin gto sign two decently priced strkers like a Hoijlund/Oban combnation if Greenwood isnt coming back into the squad this season.

Lack of numbers up front is no reason to keep a player getting pad a fortune, spending a large proporton of it on the injury table and havign barely performed for any period of time in several years now, he simply has to go, despite the talent he is very easily replaced

zaafi

Pulisic has made more appearances than Martial in 3 of the last 4 seasons since he joined Chelsea.
19/20: Martial (2624 mins), Pulisic (1722 mins)
20/21: Martial (1480 mins), Pulisic (1738 mins)
21/22: Martial (Loaned out to Sevilla for 6 (?) months), Pulisic (1290 mins)
22/23: Martial (978 mins), Pulisic (821 mins)

They're pretty even, but Martial has played more since Pulisic joined if you look away from the season where Martial was loaned out to Sevilla. Martial is the better player as well, but he is an easy target because of his lack of "fight", weak mentality and got the looks of a whiner.

I'm all for selling him, but for £10m it's pointless, unless we replace him. We need more than Højlund and Rashford.

Woziak

I don't believe that Saudi will buy him. He isn't fit and hardly available, why any club buys him? Cheerleader on the bench or stand. It won't happen until he start playing and having impact. Even if that happen, it will be next season.
Totally agree will never pass a medical

crossy1686

career ending
Just because he was injured last season doesn’t mean he will be as bad this season. Also if he’s back-up then it should be less stress on his body.
All his injuries are muscle related injuries, which is a clear sign his body just cannot cope with the rigours of football at this level. If it was a ligament tear or leg break or something you could say it was a one off and he’ll recover but the fact it’s soft tissue damage every single time means his body just isn’t meant for this kind of challenge. It’s shit but it will 100% happen again this season and every season he tries to compete at this level.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
One obscure tweet and six pages. This is the muppet transfer of the summer I guess.