Martial exit?

Stadjer

Waste of potential?

Nah, he is a fraud, couple of half-good seasons in his career doesn't change that.
Clearly not a fraud. Wasted potential yes but he clearly was a obviously a supremely talented player. Golden boy, two good seasons at a young age for Manchester United and some very promising seasons for LVG and even Mourinho.

What is that with calling players or managers a fraud anyway? Has that become the most ''hype'' thing to say these days? I cant remember reading it that often years ago and now everyone and their mom is labeled a fraud immediately?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Buckle up Antony. You’re the next scapegoat now.

I hope he rips it at another club that has a functional attack and us Martial FC fans are proven right again.

So sick of the non technical supporters of this football club who’ve probably never played football at any level ridiculing our strikers every game.
Yep, just like he did at Seville !

Guv77

I hope he rips it at another club that has a functional attack and us Martial FC fans are proven right again.

So sick of the non technical supporters of this football club who’ve probably never played football at any level ridiculing our strikers every game.
he needs to complete 90 mins first

The Firestarter

There is no way anyone is making an offer for him. If any club even wanted him, they would wait until the end of the season. I can see him going back to France or maybe the Turkish league.
He'll end up in Galatasaray and score against us in two years.

Oranges038

There is no way anyone is making an offer for him. If any club even wanted him, they would wait until the end of the season. I can see him going back to France or maybe the Turkish league.
It's a big hopefully, but you never know, even if you got 10m for him and shipped him of to the arse end of Turkey or wherever it's better than nothing.

TheGame

63 PL goals in 9 years. Have a word with yourself. :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only

:lol:
Lovely stuff.

The Firestarter

:lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
At least we probably won’t have to pay that extra ballon dor clause now
I wonder how much his overall cost really was in the end. Initial fee was £36m, but what add ons were actually met (if they were)? It was £9m for Ballon D'or, £9m for winning the CL as well I think. So £36m for him isn't too bad a deal overall (not including the shit he's put out over the last 3 seasons, the exorbitant wage etc etc).

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Nice wum :lol:

RVN1991

WTF is this? :lol:

StamsShinyHead

"SAF you're an old dick, but I respect you."

I hope he rips it at another club that has a functional attack and us Martial FC fans are proven right again

When were you proven right originally?

iHicksy

When were you proven right originally?
Don't you remember? When Martial went to Sevilla, and he ripped it up!

I mean, yeah he strolled round the pitch, scoring 1 goal in Europa league and 0 in the league was routinely boo'd by the fans and the manager publicly criticized his him for putting no effort in...but just you wait. It's the team!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Imagine unironically referring to yourself as a "Martial FC fan"

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

This assumes we can only take issue with one player at a time (I don’t scapegoat… that’s just excuses). Trust me, I can blame more than one (there’s lots of choice) … but Martial is definitely one and has been for years.

I’ve got no idea what a non-technical supporter is, but after playing football (not at anywhere near top level), I do know that if you dawdle around and make nominal effort, you will get/deserve criticism… ‘full effort’ is a basic, even at park level (and, I’d have thought, even for technical supporters). I guarantee you that if Martial runs his arse off, challenges, makes good runs, presses, he’ll get no criticism from me even if he doesn’t score.

But he doesn’t.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
It really was Martial FC and it was fun while it lasted. He’s been unfortunate in his career and the historical revision that he is a flop must stop.

He had a very promising first season. In Jose’s first season he had his number taken away from him and then he had to compete with Rashford for minutes in LW as Zlatan had become the 9. Nonetheless, he still showed moments of real quality.

In Jose’s second season he was absolutely on fire then replaced by Alexis unfairly in a move that backfired. He was also a crucial component of the great run we had during the Ole’s At The Wheel period in 2018/19.

2019/20 was Martial’s peak. He got the #9 back, 17 league goals and he showed that he had world-class potential as a target man. Unfortunately, playing through injury at the start of the following season was where it started going wrong. Not only did he lose a yard of pace, but he also lost the ability to sprint and his explosiveness.

We have some great memories of great goals with Martial and he should go down as a cult hero who never reached the heights he should have, but is by no means a flop. Unplayable on his day, but his day didn’t come consistently enough.

£50 million down the drain…

spwd

Username checks out.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Martial's situation, as some had posted, was a bit of bad luck plus shared responsabilities between the club and the player:

-He started well but inconsistent, which was expected for a teenager.
-When he was gaining momentum the club started throwing forward signing after forward signing on top of him, making imposible for him to perform regularly (plus, he never looked like he thrived while competing for a spot).
-After the squad imploded and a new manager arrived, it was his golden chance and he initially performed, but then the injuries started. When he returned there was a new pile of forwards to compete with, and at this point he just mentally checked out.

He's still relatively young and his career isn't lost yet, but it's not gonna happen at United. He needs a fresh start and the club needs to try with somebody new up front.

Marwood

Every player on this forum, along with the manager, is getting slated and blamed. How have you decided Martial is the scapegoat?

You're not alone though.

We need the definition of scapegoat at the top of the forum. Just to clear up the confusion of what scapegoat means for some.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Every player on this forum, along with the manager, is getting slated and blamed. How have you decided Martial is the scapegoat?

You're not alone though.

We need the definition of scapegoat at the top of the forum. Just to clear up the confusion of what scapegoat means for some.
He started a couple of games due to Hojlund injury and immediately the first poor one he had he was labelled as the problem with the team by most of the media. He is in that sense clearly scapegoated.
Yes Martial needs to leave the club
No Martial has not been a consequential issue this season and people shouldn't try to pretend he has been.

Marwood

He started a couple of games due to Hojlund injury and immediately the first poor one he had he was labelled as the problem with the team by most of the media. He is in that sense clearly scapegoated.
Yes Martial needs to leave the club
No Martial has not been a consequential issue this season and people shouldn't try to pretend he has been.
Can you be specific about who said Martial was THE problem with the team?

The-Mezzala

The Greenwood, Rashford and Martial Front three had so much potential. Crazy to think where all of them are now. Greenwood obviously a different case to the other two. But what a waste of talent all of them have been

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can you be specific about who said Martial was THE problem with the team?
Sure when you show me where I said anyone called Martial THE problem with the team
What I said was media have tried to make out he has been a consequential issue THIS season when he clearly has not been. Just look at all the talk after the Newcastle game

C'est Moi Cantona

For a player that cost us £36m I’d say we got value out of him.
Given what we've done in the transfer market in the last 10 years or so you're probably right.

I said the same about Dalot yesterday, he gets alot of stick but at least he's got to the first team, didn't cost a stupid amount, and will have a resale value, (something Martial would have had if we'd recognised his limitations earlier.)

When you think about players like, DVB, Sanchez, Schneiderlin, Schweinstegier, Baily, Sancho, etc, then we've wasted money on alot worse.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Given what we've done in the transfer market in the last 10 years or so you're probably right.

I said the same about Dalot yesterday, he gets alot of stick but at least he's got to the first team, didn't cost a stupid amount, and will have a resale value, (something Martial would have had if we'd recognised his limitations earlier.)

When you think about players like, DVB, Sanchez, Schneiderlin, Schweinstegier, Baily, Sancho, etc, then we've wasted money on alot worse.
And I’d agree with you largely on Dalot. Yeah he’s not good enough to be the man but he’s been an ok squad option for long enough to have gotten your moneys worth.

Don’t get me wrong I’m disappointed we didn’t get more from him (Martial) as he’s clearly one of those who had so much talent but when you look at the fee but we got a goal out of him every 219 mins played across his entire United career or a goal or assist every 136 mins.

So while he’s not reached the promised land he’s contributed when fit.

Of course he should have been sold 2 years ago but hey ho.

Hammondo

Clearly not a fraud. Wasted potential yes but he clearly was a obviously a supremely talented player. Golden boy, two good seasons at a young age for Manchester United and some very promising seasons for LVG and even Mourinho.

What is that with calling players or managers a fraud anyway? Has that become the most ''hype'' thing to say these days? I cant remember reading it that often years ago and now everyone and their mom is labeled a fraud immediately?
Supremely talented? I cannot tell if this is a joke.

Hammondo

The Greenwood, Rashford and Martial Front three had so much potential. Crazy to think where all of them are now. Greenwood obviously a different case to the other two. But what a waste of talent all of them have been
Not really, there are serious weaknesses to that front 3.

MiceOnMeth

Supremely talented? I cannot tell if this is a joke.
While not Rooney or Mbappe he was a very good footballer at age 20. Dribbling, close control, speed, finishing all very good for his age. Never had great instincts as a 9 though