Martial exit?

Oranges038

Such a stupid take. Peak Martial might actually be the second best post Fergie striker after Zlatan. Martial was good during LVG his period. Did well under circumstances when Mourinho was the manager and did very well for Ole before Martial his body broke down.

Cavani was pretty good when he played but he was injured a lot. Ronaldo had one good season before he couldnt manage it anymore. Rooney was over the top post Fergie just like RVP was. Who else were there? Depay was a left winger, Ighalo wasnt good enough and neither was Weghorst. Lukaku wasnt great for Manchester United although he did have a decent season if i remember correct. Sanchez was a massive failure. Falcao played on one leg during his Premier League time...
His peak??? That never really happened.

Stadjer

His peak??? That never really happened.
Everyone has a peak. Some peaks are just higher than other 'peaks'.

In the 19/20 season a 24 year old Martial played 48 games and scored 23 goals and provived 12 assist. 17 goals and 7 assists in 32 Premier League games alone. That is a pretty high peak. Martial was a very good player at that time.

Ofcourse a lot of people like you never want to admit it because you dont like him and are stuck in your made up perception that he is a lazy, moody player who will down tools when he has any competition but before Martial his body broke down (or was broken down by Ole) he was good and peaked higher than most players do.

Oranges038

In the 19/20 season a 24 year old Martial played 48 games and scored 23 goals and provived 12 assist. 17 goals and 7 assists in 32 Premier League games alone. That is a pretty high peak. Martial was a very good player at that time.

Ofcourse a lot of people like you never want to admit it because you dont like him and are stuck in your made up perception that he is a lazy, moody player who will down tools when he has any competition but before Martial his body broke down (or was broken down by Ole) he was good and peaked higher than most players do.
One really good season is a peak now?

Oranges038

Yeh, to be fair? There isn't a time constraint on what can be determined as a peak.
I'd say it was more of an anomaly than a peak.

The type you get off a player playing out of his skin for a new big fat contract before reverting to type.

Stadjer

One really good season is a peak now?
At the age of 23/24 Martial during the 18/19 season Martial scored 10 goals (goals against Chelsea, City and Arsenal) in 27 Premier League matches with Mourinho not liking him and he played mostly as a left winger. The 18/19 and 19/20 seasons were Martial his peak. Martial signing a new contract in december 2019 makes sense too because he was developing well at that time. Had he not broken down but kept developing he would be amongst the best strikers in the league. He showed the potential.

Also you claiming that he played out of his skin for his new contract before reverting back to type after singing the contract is incorrect too. He actually scored more goals after signing his new contract. The reason he turned into the sad case he is today are injuries. That is it.

Oranges038

At the age of 23/24 Martial during the 18/19 season Martial scored 10 goals (goals against Chelsea, City and Arsenal) in 27 Premier League matches with Mourinho not liking him and he played mostly as a left winger. The 18/19 and 19/20 seasons were Martial his peak. Martial signing a new contract in december 2019 makes sense too because he was developing well at that time. Had he not broken down but kept developing he would be amongst the best strikers in the league. He showed the potential.

Also you claiming that he played out of his skin for his new contract before reverting back to type after singing the contract is incorrect too. He actually scored more goals after signing his new contract. The reason he turned into the sad case he is today are injuries. That is it.
Aye, looks like I got the timelines mixed up.

Still maintain he never peaked, he showed glimpses of what he was capable of. Even during what you call his peak season he regularly went 2 or 3 games in a row without providing any goal threat or assists. He never really showed the consistent level of top performances you'd associate with a player at their peak.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Used to think that he had many similarities to a young Henry. Shame that injuries have taken much of his career

Marwood

Used to think that he had many similarities to a young Henry. Shame that injuries have taken much of his career
I don't think he ever had that kind of pace and agility. Which ultimately made them quite different players.

What he had was a well rounded game, fairly strong at everything with that close control being his biggest asset.

If I was comparing him to another United player it would be Lee Sharpe.

RopersReturn

With the exception of Shaw, Martial is just another example of overrated flops, Van Gaal was allowed to sign.

Andersonson

Please. This has it be the most fanboys take i've read in a while. Body broken by Ole ? A fact made up by fans to excuse their favorite players. Incredible

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Daddy, what was prime Martial like?"

There is a reason that clip didn't show the end of each of the dribbles - probably because he failed with the end product on most of them.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With the exception of Shaw, Martial is just another example of overrated flops, Van Gaal was allowed to sign.
At the time it made sense to sign him and he started out well, I don't think we can blame Van Gaal for not foreseeing his injury woes and laziness

statpadder

There is a reason that clip didn't show the end of each of the dribbles - probably because he failed with the end product on most of them.
Martial has always had excellent decision making unlike our other players who’ve excelled more with the “numbers”.

So I think if you were to see the end of the each dribble, it will show him going for a pass 80% of the time and never getting the ball back or the chance going begging.

RuudTom83

Martial has had his moments and given the fans plenty of good memories...But the issue is that he has overstayed by a good few years, and for reasons not entirely his own doing (injuries, salary) have replaced the good times with seasons of mediocrity and bad memories.

If he had been sold 2-3 years ago then you would look back on his signing as not living up to the hype, but not a total disaster either.

Hopefully the club part ways in the summer and his replacement can be brought in on a reasonable contract/salary.

Stadjer

Please. This has it be the most fanboys take i've read in a while. Body broken by Ole ? A fact made up by fans to excuse their favorite players. Incredible
No, Ole didnt drive over Martial with his car if you think that is what it means.

Before Ole Martial wasnt injury prone. After Ole Martial can hardly play a match without picking up an injury. Martial himself said in interviews (so i do have a source and didnt make up anything) that Ole asked him to play while injured. Should Martial have refused to play while injured? Maybe. Should Ole ask injured players to play for him? Maybe not. Its up to debate if you should ask your players to play while injured.

"In the last two seasons, I’ve regularly played while injured. People don’t know it, but I couldn’t accelerate during the four months that followed the Covid-19 season.

"But the manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he needed me, so I played.

When Ole was the manager everyone and their dog was also claiming that Rashford was overplayed and playing while injured. I dont think it is impossible to think that Ole actually asked his injured players to play. Ole wanted to keep his job and that might have been more important to him than risking the player their long term health. Playing injured players doesnt mean they will become broken players but it seems that it did happen to Martial.

And no, Martial isnt my favorite player. Just because i dont shit on him like doesnt mean he is my favorite. I just dont like stupid made up claims that Martial is lazy, moody and was never any good. There is enough to be critical about when talking about Martial but making up stuff isnt required to be critical. Martial didnt live up to his expectation and shouldnt get a new contract but there was a time when Martial was actually a very good player and had the potential to become a star.

I could also claim that you are an Ole fanboy because your location says Trondheim but that wouldnt directly make you an Ole fanboy. It would be a dumb and shortsighted claim just like your claim of my alleged Martial fanboyism.

Marwood

No, Ole didnt drive over Martial with his car if you think that is what it means.

Before Ole Martial wasnt injury prone. After Ole Martial can hardly play a match without picking up an injury. Martial himself said in interviews (so i do have a source and didnt make up anything) that Ole asked him to play while injured. Should Martial have refused to play while injured? Maybe. Should Ole ask injured players to play for him? Maybe not. Its up to debate if you should ask your players to play while injured.

"In the last two seasons, I’ve regularly played while injured. People don’t know it, but I couldn’t accelerate during the four months that followed the Covid-19 season.

When Ole was the manager everyone and their dog was also claiming that Rashford was overplayed and playing while injured. I dont think it is impossible to think that Ole actually asked his injured players to play. Ole wanted to keep his job and that might have been more important to him than risking the player their long term health. Playing injured players doesnt mean they will become broken players but it seems that it did happen to Martial.

And no, Martial isnt my favorite player. Just because i dont shit on him like doesnt mean he is my favorite. I just dont like stupid made up claims that Martial is lazy, moody and was never any good. There is enough to be critical about when talking about Martial but making up stuff isnt required to be critical. Martial didnt live up to his expectation and shouldnt get a new contract but there was a time when Martial was actually a very good player and had the potential to become a star.

I could also claim that you are an Ole fanboy because your location says Trondheim but that wouldnt directly make you an Ole fanboy. It would be a dumb and shortsighted claim just like your claim of my alleged Martial fanboyism.
Case closed then.

Although Luke Shaw suddenly started being much more fit under Ole than previously. Which means Ole must also be a healer as well as a destroyer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Martial has always had excellent decision making unlike our other players who’ve excelled more with the “numbers”.

So I think if you were to see the end of the each dribble, it will show him going for a pass 80% of the time and never getting the ball back or the chance going begging.
He had good decision Making but that's not true.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
"Daddy, what was prime Martial like?"

My biggest disappointment in my time supporting the club. Of all the players who didn’t develop as we hoped, Martial was one who had genuinely elite natural ability. Should have been one of the PL greats ended up being a player we don’t know how to get rid of.

Stadjer

Case closed then.

Although Luke Shaw suddenly started being much more fit under Ole than previously. Which means Ole must also be a healer as well as a destroyer.
Funny how i said that his body broke down OR Ole broke his body. Yet you make it seem like i claim it was 100% Ole.

I do think Ole playing him injured is part of his injuries now but its also just bad luck.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Still don’t understand the level of stick he gets. He’s knackered and can’t stay fit. He’s never said a bad word about the club but done his best to maintain fitness to be available. He joined Sevilla on loan hoping to get proper playing time and sort his future out. At the age of 27, turning 28 shortly, he’s unlikely to get a solid contract at another club and his career has more or less gone to shit.

Andersonson

Wow, with that quote it's clear, Ole ruined him. It's a wonder he 's alive.

TheRedHearted

I can’t get my head round the fact he’s been with us for eight seasons.
We’ve been shit for eight seasons, can’t blame it all on the guy. Wonder if we had been doing proper recruitment all that time what he would have amounted to. Ole playing him through injury is such a shame.

But honestly after mediocre years we should have out proper pressure on him to move him on, but no. PSG would have taken him