Martial exit?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think some are being very narrow-sighted and a bit harsh on his overall time here. As a long time fan of the player, I'm as disappointed as anyone with how it has turned out as I had the highest of hopes for him, but you can't reduce his whole time at United to just the last couple of years.

It's clear to see that his decline in performance has come with his consistent injuries. He has been a shadow of himself since 2020/21 and you can see the change in his appearance/physique as much as his performances. Watch the video below and remember what he was capable of and look at the difference to today's version.

With regards to him leaving, it has been nigh on impossible for him to move on in the past few years, and it is the club's fault not his. He had a long, lucrative contract and nobody was going to pay a decent transfer fee for him and match this wages while he was constantly in and out of fitness and form. Besides, even during that time we have been so woefully low in quality and numbers at centre forward, he was still getting ample opportunities while available, so why the hell would he move?

Even this season, he had plenty of opportunities up until arguing with EtH vs Newcastle. Which is when fans started piling in once more. Anyway, the club need to get their butt in gear and sort out our striker issue which has been ongoing for nearly a decade. He should only leave this month if we have a proper replacement ready to come in.

Enjoyed watching that thanks. No doubting his natural talent but unfortunately injuries ruined him. Now he’d be a star in walking football

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I think some are being very narrow-sighted and a bit harsh on his overall time here. As a long time fan of the player, I'm as disappointed as anyone with how it has turned out as I had the highest of hopes for him, but you can't reduce his whole time at United to just the last couple of years.

It's clear to see that his decline in performance has come with his consistent injuries. He has been a shadow of himself since 2020/21 and you can see the change in his appearance/physique as much as his performances. Watch the video below and remember what he was capable of and look at the difference to today's version.

With regards to him leaving, it has been nigh on impossible for him to move on in the past few years, and it is the club's fault not his. He had a long, lucrative contract and nobody was going to pay a decent transfer fee for him and match this wages while he was constantly in and out of fitness and form. Besides, even during that time we have been so woefully low in quality and numbers at centre forward, he was still getting ample opportunities while available, so why the hell would he move?

Even this season, he had plenty of opportunities up until arguing with EtH vs Newcastle. Which is when fans started piling in once more. Anyway, the club need to get their butt in gear and sort out our striker issue which has been ongoing for nearly a decade. He should only leave this month if we have a proper replacement ready to come in.

I will be glad when he leaves, but of course people sometimes go too far and disrespect how talented he was. He was way more talented than Rashford ever was.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Would be a shame if he left just before being eligible for his Old Trafford testimonial.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not even close.

Same timeframe at the club and maybe but currently, it’s not a debate.

Martial is exactly as his song describes…….

‘Fifty million down the drain…………………’
Martial did more in his first season than Sancho has done throughout his stint with us and Sancho costs more and is on bigger money.

Martial is unmotivated ever since he got injured, but people keep forgetting that for his first 2 seasons here, he was probably the only player that was actually worth watching for us.

Lastwolf

Not even close.

C'ept because it's down the drain he won't cost 50m, unless we think he's winning the Ballon D'or ?

AFC NimbleThumb

Brilliant post.

Stadjer

I admire your dedication but Martial has only scored more than 20 goals in one season and only over 10 in another 3, 0.28 goals per game overall... and his stats were similar at Monaco

As for injuries, last season he played 29 and scored 9, 0.31 GPG so actually better than his average, there have only been 2 seasons in his entire career where he has averaged better than 0.31 GPG so not sure where this notion that he has been ravaged by injuries comes from, it is just nonsense

You can make excuses but he is just not good enough

As for our fault he cannot be sold? I don't blame any player for squeezing every last penny, but whilst it is our fault he was given a lucrative contract he is not obliged to demand that his wages are kept at that level by a new club, he should recognise that he his performances do not warrant that level of wage... but if he wants to warm the bench and make bank I do not blame him, but he could get a move if he was willing to
Martial played a lot as a left winger. LVG played him there, Mourinho played him (or Rashford) as a left winger. Martial really only became the main striker for Ole and that is when he started to score more goals. Martial also provided more than just goals. He improved the general play and provided assists. He was also still a young player when he wasnt ravaged by injuries. He should now be entering his prime years as a player.

It is a shame your dislike for Martial makes it impossible for you to see that he, once upon a time, was a huge talent who was showing that talent and was developing to becoming a great player. That journey towards becoming a great player stopped with the injuries. Now he just looks a shell of himself and really shouldnt be a Manchester United player anymore.

Rauður Djöfull

Sad how it's gone but a symptom of modern United to that he is still there, had one good season under LVG and under Ole if I remember correctly

Otherwise been disappointing

Will always remember the debut goal against Liverpool but it's time to leave (actually been time for a long time)

Would never have lasted this long in other clubs we are supposedly comparing ourselves with and trying to compete with

mu4c_20le

Sad how it's gone but a symptom of modern United to that he is still there, had one good season under LVG and under Ole if I remember correctly

Otherwise been disappointing

Will always remember the debut goal against Liverpool but it's time to leave (actually been time for a long time)

Would never have lasted this long in other clubs we are supposedly comparing ourselves with and trying to compete with
Yep, brilliant debut season for a 20 year old under LVG, then one and a half good seasons under Ole, probably the best of his career. The problem is that he would pick up injuries just as he hits form, and then his confidence would plummet when managers brought in competition (Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo) and would look completely invisible when being rotated or come off the bench. Lots of potential and what-if, but ultimately it was never going to work out with us.

Zed 101

Martial played a lot as a left winger. LVG played him there, Mourinho played him (or Rashford) as a left winger. Martial really only became the main striker for Ole and that is when he started to score more goals. Martial also provided more than just goals. He improved the general play and provided assists. He was also still a young player when he wasnt ravaged by injuries. He should now be entering his prime years as a player.

It is a shame your dislike for Martial makes it impossible for you to see that he, once upon a time, was a huge talent who was showing that talent and was developing to becoming a great player. That journey towards becoming a great player stopped with the injuries. Now he just looks a shell of himself and really shouldnt be a Manchester United player anymore.
I don't hate Martial, but I am also not willing to make up excuses for a player who has consistently underperformed across the majority of his career, not a big fan of stats for stats sake but some times the facts are just there.

As for playing as a winger I would argue that Martials best periods have come when he was playing left wing or at least rotating CF/LW

He has skill and speed but ultimately is lazy and too lightweight to maintain success especially in the physically demanding Premier League

Onerealunited

But apparently this is not due to disciplanary reasons. He is in such bad form after his sickness that he is not able to follow with the rest of the team. If true, then no big drama in him training alone.... Just hope he is gone come summer

RuudTom83

The lighter schedule is probably playing a part as well.

Squad is bloated with a mediocrity.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I genuinely think he has a worse injury record than Owen at this point.

RuudTom83

One less problem to worry about.

Martial can do his fitness recovery away from the squad and move on in the summer when his contract ends.

EtH doesn't need to answer questions about him every week.

DavelinaJolie

So that'll take us up to, what? April? Guessing he's kicked his last ball for Utd because I don't see him getting back into the squad after then considering he'll be out the door in the summer and we'll be playing a standard PL schedule.

Sad to see it work out this way, but the one positive is there'll be no more false dawns for people to cling to.

GMoore23

Not even close.

It's not even close in that Martial was 10 times better for us than Sancho.

I'm not defending Martial. He's been a huge disappointment this past few years and I've wanted him gone for quite a while. However, he was extremely talented at his best and overall, a decent player for us in his first 5 seasons. A lot better than the likes of Sancho, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, VDB, Depay, Antony etc.

DavelinaJolie

I'm going to glibly say that the reduction in insurance premiums and medical fees will surely pay for his replacement. Right?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agreed, this just ends up being sad because of the talent he had. He still has some iconic moments with us and his injury prone nature gave Rashford his chance :lol: . I hope he can find a club to stay fit at, he's still got bags of ability.

Stadjer

We should just terminate his contract tbh, waster.
I find these types of comments just so extremely stupid.

So we either terminate the contract which means we pay up the full contract and Martial can go wherever he wants. Or we just keep him, still have to pay but he could, in the best case, potentially score an important goal. Worst case we help Martial recover from his injury which wont make the club look bad for 'firing an injured player' while other clubs sometimes even allow out of contract but injured players to use their facilities to recover.

Even if he just fills up numbers in training he does something usefull. The money is gone anyway. Atleast let him do something for the money.

Should Phil Jones his contract have been terminated? Or you just dislike Martial because you read for years that he is shit, lazy, doesnt run and doesnt smile?

There is literally nothing to gain from terminating his contract, so why do it?

hobbers

There is literally nothing to gain from terminating his contract, so why do it?
There is if the player in question wants to move their career on and actually play football.

If crocks like Jones or Martial cared about more than just earning money they could have reached a settlement to end their contracts early and try and get back to regular football somewhere else.

Stadjer

There is if the player in question wants to move their career on and actually play football.

If crocks like Jones or Martial cared about more than just earning money they could have reached a settlement to end their contracts early and try and get back to regular football somewhere else.
Its even more stupid for a crock to agree with termination. Chances are that they would just be injured for less money somewhere else.

The whole termination idea is just ridiculous and one of the most stupid and unrealistic things i read on this forum.