Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

SpyLuke10

He's more talented than Salah at the same age, or De Bruyne, or Robben, or Ribery, or Hazard. It'd be a bloody shame if we lost him. He'd go down in history as the biggest regret of a player leaving the club ever, at least in the premier league era (Pogba returned, Ronaldo wanted to go).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's more talented than Salah at the same age, or De Bruyne, or Robben, or Ribery, or Hazard. It'd be a bloody shame if we lost him. He'd go down in history as the biggest regret of a player leaving the club ever, at least in the premier league era (Pogba returned, Ronaldo wanted to go).
He isn't even close to Hazard at the same age, Robben was very inconsistent but extremely talented and Ribery has always been very talented and was great at that age with Metz. The thing about Ribéry is that off field incidents derailed the beginning of his career, since he had to leave Lille's academy but he was not only highly rated but also performing at a high level when you consider his age and lack of support.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He is not close to the likes of Hazard, Salah...this has gotta be a joke.

crossy1686

career ending
Martial has done nothing to even suggest he's close to their level's of talent, at the moment you could say he's closer to the likes of Bellion, Obertan, Forlan than Mo Salah.

I've never seen a player lauded as much after doing so little as Martial is on here. We'd probably have been better off just keeping Zaha, we'd have at least got a better return from him than the disappointment Martial has been this season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No way was he near Robben Ribery or Hazard. KDB perhaps but not fully sure.

OL29

Martial has done nothing to even suggest he's close to their level's of talent, at the moment you could say he's closer to the likes of Bellion, Obertan, Forlan than Mo Salah.

I've never seen a player lauded as much after doing so little as Martial is on here. We'd probably have been better off just keeping Zaha, we'd have at least got a better return from him than the disappointment Martial has been this season.
You're trying too hard.

crossy1686

career ending
A bit childish no?
Nope, it's a serious point. For some reason Martial has become bigger than the club based on his potential talent, that he has shown very little evidence he will actually fulfil. I don't understand this "Martial MUST remain at the club" stance, what if he doesn't? We go into receivership? Relegation looms? I'll tell you what will happen, absolutely nothing. We'll replace him with someone more dedicated by the end of the window.

SoCross

I think we can add Ronaldo to that list too. We were never the same again after he left.
I meant players we let go, not ones who were clearly angling for a move away from United. But I get what you mean.

OL29

Nope, it's a serious point. For some reason Martial has become bigger than the club based on his potential talent, that he has shown very little evidence he will actually fulfil. I don't understand this "Martial MUST remain at the club" stance, what if he doesn't? We go into receivership? Relegation looms? I'll tell you what will happen, absolutely nothing. We'll replace him with someone more dedicated by the end of the window.
I agree that some are being a bit dramatic but you're combating one extreme with another. That's childish. Seems very tit for tat. You can't genuinely believe that Martial is on a par with the likes of Bellion and Obertan surely...

crossy1686

career ending
I agree that some are being a bit dramatic but you're combating one extreme with another. That's childish. Seems very tit for tat. You can't genuinely believe that Martial is on a par with the likes of Bellion and Obertan surely...
I don't genuinely believe they are on par but both were pacy and looked decent, also had about the same amount of impact Martial has had this season. What I will say for both of them however, they both wanted to play for United and did their best to make it at the club. My point remains about potential, it means nothing if you don't fulfil it, we've had many young players come in under Fergie and not make it, no matter how bright they looked, Martial is no exception but people like to use him as a stick to beat Mourinho with, it's like you have to pick one or the other.

Could have been worse, could have compared him to Dong and Diouf but that was a step too far.

OL29

I don't genuinely believe they are on par but both were pacy and looked decent, also had about the same amount of impact Martial has had this season. What I will say for both of them however, they both wanted to play for United and did their best to make it at the club. My point remains about potential, it means nothing if you don't fulfil it, we've had many young players come in under Fergie and not make it, no matter how bright they looked, Martial is no exception but people like to use him as a stick to beat Mourinho with, it's like you have to pick one or the other.

Could have been worse, could have compared him to Dong and Diouf but that was a step too far.
I'm sorry but you can't genuinely believe that even in their best seasons, Bellion or Obertan had an impact equal to Martial's this season. Stats aren't everything but Bellion's highest scoring season for us saw him get a total of 6 goals. Obertan had a grand total of 1 goal for us in his career. Even disregarding performances, Martial's goals and assists this season against Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc, his winner at Burnley by far outweigh anything they produced. Either you don't remember how poor those players were or you're on a wum. Either way, it just makes your posts in this thread seem less credible.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Regardless of how good Martial is or could be, it seems that he will continue to be a bit part player under a manager who doesn’t believe in him, and Mourinho isn’t going anywhere for the time being.

Martial would either have to be incredibly loyal or unambitious not to be begging his agent to get him out of here right now.

Water Melon

Regardless of how good Martial is or could be, it seems that he will continue to be a bit part player under a manager who doesn’t believe in him, and Mourinho isn’t going anywhere for the time being.

Martial would either have to be incredibly loyal or unambitious not to be begging his agent to get him out of here right now.
Seconded. If Martial is to continue to play few games here and there there is no point for him or the club in staying in Manchester. He needs to progress and playing time is essential, the club may need the money for other transfers. However, in my opinion, Martial is a skillful player who can do lots of good for the team. Hope he stays, which seems unlikely unless he is promised more playing time next year.

tedketterman

Seconded. If Martial is to continue to play few games here and there there is no point for him or the club in staying in Manchester. He needs to progress and playing time is essential, the club may need the money for other transfers. However, in my opinion, Martial is a skillful player who can do lots of good for the team. Hope he stays, which seems unlikely unless he is promised more playing time next year.
He's a luxury player at the moment, though. Mourinho is never going to build a team around Martial, so he's going to have to either accept that, or work harder. It's pretty simple really.

Water Melon

He's a luxury player at the moment, though. Mourinho is never going to build a team around Martial, so he's going to have to either accept that, or work harder. It's pretty simple really.
What is pretty simple, Martial being a luxury player? Is he running less than others, is he not tracking back? Are you basing all this on his body language?

HorrorFan07

I don't understand why he has the fanbase on here he does. Nani did so much more for this club, won us trophies, took a pressure penalty in a CL final to save our bacon.. yet he got murdered on here.

Our "French Fancy" Martial is getting a free pass.

Time for you lads to call a spade a spade. Martial deserves to go.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agreed on all points.
The fanboyism is reaching epic proportions.
It's getting to a point where I want him gone, just so his fanboys will leave with him.

Personally, I think that for all concerned, it's best he go on loan to any club of his choosing. This way, after Jose leaves, Martial can return and play as a more experienced attacker, under the new manager.
And if Jose is still here after another year, then Martial can look for a permanent transfer.
Whatever the case, for whatever reason, Jose does not like Martial as a player and he won't be a MUFC regular while Jose is here.

tedketterman

What is pretty simple, Martial being a luxury player? Is he running less than others, is he not tracking back? Are you basing all this on his body language?
You think running a lot and tracking back makes someone a team player? And I never even mentioned body language. What's simple is that he has to do what the manager asks of him, otherwise he won't play.

Water Melon

You think running a lot and tracking back makes someone a team player? And I never even mentioned body language. What's simple is that he has to do what the manager asks of him, otherwise he won't play.
Details please without changing the topic. Please elaborate on being the luxury player as well as on needing to work harder. What does he do less than others?

shaky

Agreed on all points.
The fanboyism is reaching epic proportions.
It's getting to a point where I want him gone, just so his fanboys will leave with him.

Personally, I think that for all concerned, it's best he go on loan to any club of his choosing. This way, after Jose leaves, Martial can return and play as a more experienced attacker, under the new manager.
And if Jose is still here after another year, then Martial can look for a permanent transfer.
Whatever the case, for whatever reason, Jose does not like Martial as a player and he won't be a MUFC regular while Jose is here.
Look through the old Januzaj thread when he was linked with a move away before he signed his last contract. Piles of the same hyperbolic comments about how we absolutely MUST sign him up and how losing him would be a complete disaster for the club long term, since he was obviously a Ballon d'or winner in waiting.

ti vu

Details please without changing the topic. Please elaborate on being the luxury player as well as on needing to work harder. What does he do less than others?
In term of attacking play, doesn't move well enough creating space for other. Passes it first time too much instead of try to turn defenders with his gift, asking them all kind of questions. Most of the time try to go for a position to receive a cut back pass rather than try to get ahead of defenders blocking them out of equation and make it easier for his teammate to feed him (they are terrible to begin mind)...

Try a random game that features young Rooney or Ronaldo (even their bad games when the team is losing) and you see the contrast in workrate in attack compare to Martial's.

clarkydaz

I've changed my mind on Martial.

I really want him to leave now, the reasoning for him staying was he had good potential but i have realised that if you totted up all the good moments it has probably mounted to 1 good game for us in 3 years. We just can't afford to have someone who is soo inconsistent if we want to serioisly challenge for the EPL next season.

I was totally against buying Bale for obvious reasons but if he gives us 2-3 years and we win the EPL then i think we should go for him as a replacement for Martial.
Martial was voted player of the month in January. Right when Sanchez was signed and he was dropped from the team

Roboc7

Personally would like him to stay but the Sanchez signing does mean it probably makes sense to sell him and bring in someone who can play on the right instead. That should be another young player with potential not a quick fix like Willian or gamble like Bale.

ti vu

Martial was voted player of the month in January. Right when Sanchez was signed and he was dropped from the team
Martial didn't get dropped from the team until later when his form did suffer and he got injured around the Sevilla games. We tried different formations try to fit Martial in. Some good glimpse here and there but nowhere close to offer the consistency require to build a sustainable system with all these players.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I don't understand why he has the fanbase on here he does. Nani did so much more for this club, won us trophies, took a pressure penalty in a CL final to save our bacon.. yet he got murdered on here.

Our "French Fancy" Martial is getting a free pass.

Time for you lads to call a spade a spade. Martial deserves to go.
Yep, 22 and not Thierry Henry yet. Time to ship.

Silas

Not exactly Ballon D'Or but the fact is he is sooo inconsistent.
How many are consistent at his age when rarely given a run of games? The last time he started consecutive games was some time in January, coinciding with the good form he showed before Sanchez was signed.

Minimalist

Also what trophies did Nani win through his influence? What the feck was that revision of history?

PepsiCola

Sane, Jesus.

The worrying thing with Martial is he is annoyingly thick.
Sane and Jesus have both been given extended periods of consecutive games by Pep- even when going through poor periods. Martial hasn't had two successive starts since January (where he was player of the month).

Annoyingly thick?

Silas

Sane, Jesus.

The worrying thing with Martial is he is annoyingly thick.
Both of whom have shown dips in form too and also been shown plenty of faith by Pep.

Did you IQ test him through the TV?

kidbob

Reminds me of Nani. Loads of talent but not mentally tough enough.
This is revisionist. A prime Nani would be the best winger in the League these days.

In general though Martial is close to Nani in potential with maybe the abilities to go better than him. If Jose brings in a dedicated attack coach then all our attackers will improve. I really feel Martial more than most needs a good system to get the bet out of him. Nani played under SAF and was allowed to express himself.

Anyway I hope you weren't making a slight at Nani because a 25 year old him would be our best player right now. Although in saying that a 20 year old Anderson would be our most potent midfielder.