Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrywing

Who is going to pay this lazy cnut 200k a week? Not exactly the type of player you want to fight you out of a relegation scrap either i wouldn't go anywhere near him if I was Newcastle.

Another bang average United player on 200k a week.
Is that a trick question. Because unless you meant 'who else is going to...'

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If newcastle give us 50m i'd be over the moon.

To be fair i'd be over the moon even if they give us half of that.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He’s had periods of being really very good, But he has had zero consistency and if he doesn’t want to be here (not the first time) then let’s recoup what we can.
Wonder what happens up front however, when Cavani and Ronaldo leave in a year or two.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Could see him absolutely tear it up for a Newcastle.

On his day unplayable but just doesn’t have enough of those days. Cant say he’s not been given a chance now though.

Mick1

I think some UTD fans still love Martial mostly for his outstanding debut match (I think) against Liverpool & his early days at UTD were really good, but I haven't seen him do too much in a UTD shirt for probably over 2 years now, yeah I know he has been injured a lot but even so.
Its the style of play. He s always had brilliant footwork in tight areas, very good for an attacker in a ball dominant team, quick and can dribble on the fly ( deservedly regressed in that aspect though ) and drops back, allowing Bruno vertical freedom.

If we had an in form Martial, the team would look much better attackingly. Good system player imo, but an absolute menace when off form.

In his best seasons, he was the undisputed number 1, but with Ibra his first time and Cavani more recently, he seems like he crumbles under pressure for his position. Shame, should go out on loan and see where things go

sp_107

Wanting out as soon as the new manager demands more?
Kind of, we never know what exactly he is in training and behind the scenes but overall we all can see he didnt give 100% to the cause

To be failr we have many players like this in our club who are just earning easy money

Mick1

I think some UTD fans still love Martial mostly for his outstanding debut match (I think) against Liverpool & his early days at UTD were really good, but I haven't seen him do too much in a UTD shirt for probably over 2 years now, yeah I know he has been injured a lot but even so.
Its the style of play. He s always had brilliant footwork in tight areas, very good for an attacker in a ball dominant team, quick and can dribble on the fly ( deservedly regressed in that aspect though ) and drops back, allowing Bruno vertical freedom.

If we had an in form Martial, the team would look much better attackingly. Good system player imo, but an absolute menace when off form.

In his best seasons, he was the undisputed number 1, but with Ibra his first time and Cavani more recently, he seems like he crumbles under pressure for his position. Shame, should go out on loan and see where things go
He’s had periods of being really very good, But he has had zero consistency and if he doesn’t want to be here (not the first time) then let’s recoup what we can.
Wonder what happens up front however, when Cavani and Ronaldo leave in a year or two.
Think this is a reason the top brass will consider the sale very carefully. Within the next 12-18 months, Mata, Lingard, Ronaldo and Cavani ( can also add Pogba to that list ) will be out. We will also need, at the very least, 2 midfielders and a right back ( possibly a goalkeeper too ).

Which would leave us with Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho for the three attacking positions. There are still question marks about all 3 in terms of being able to lead an attack ( Greenwood and Sancho would still be too young, and Rashford has to step up ) + any academy grads who can step up. I might be mistaken, but I don't really think we have a Greenwood type top of the class prospect in attack, so it s unlikely Elanga and co will have nailed down a starting spot by then.

Diallo and Pellestri are still unknown prospects at this level, and are at the very least a couple of years away from a consistent squad position.

So within the next few windows we might need 2 attackers, 2 midfielders, a right back and potentially a goalkeeper. 350 million worth of talent, without significant sales.

For these reasons I could see the club prefering Martial going out on loan until the summer, with Lingard Cavani and Pogba definetly out and Ronaldo a year older, with the hope of him picking up some form and alleviating the need for a squad overhaul.

0le

I hope he can rediscover some form in his next role. I think he struggles with confidence and then his form drops. He needs a good man manager and also play for a club perhaps where there is less media scrutiny.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Think this is a reason the top brass will consider the sale very carefully. Within the next 12-18 months, Mata, Lingard, Ronaldo and Cavani ( can also add Pogba to that list ) will be out. We will also need, at the very least, 2 midfielders and a right back ( possibly a goalkeeper too ).

Which would leave us with Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho for the three attacking positions. There are still question marks about all 3 in terms of being able to lead an attack ( Greenwood and Sancho would still be too young, and Rashford has to step up ) + any academy grads who can step up. I might be mistaken, but I don't really think we have a Greenwood type top of the class prospect in attack, so it s unlikely Elanga and co will have nailed down a starting spot by then.

Diallo and Pellestri are still unknown prospects at this level, and are at the very least a couple of years away from a consistent squad position.

So within the next few windows we might need 2 attackers, 2 midfielders, a right back and potentially a goalkeeper. 350 million worth of talent, without significant sales.

For these reasons I could see the club prefering Martial going out on loan until the summer, with Lingard Cavani and Pogba definetly out and Ronaldo a year older, with the hope of him picking up some form and alleviating the need for a squad overhaul.
You make valid points in some sense however Martial has done zero to prove he can be this lead attacker we need.
He's not the man ImO and there is time enough to replace him with someone better.

He's had more than a fair go by now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Are you getting it off Transfermarkt? If so it’s wrong. It‘s not even got Jack Rowley on the list! This list below looks right to me:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/383805/manchester-united-all-time-goals/
Yeah, I don't know what that Transfermarkt list is based on - it's incorrect at any rate.

Can't see the one you posted, though - says you need to register in order to view it.

This should be correct (top 20, all time, all competitions):

1: Rooney - 253
2: Charlton - 249
3: Law - 237
4: Rowley - 211
5: Viollet - 179
5: Best - 179
7: Spence - 168
8: Giggs - 168
9: Hughes - 163
10: Scholes - 155
11: v. Nistelrooy - 150
12: Pearson - 148
13: Herd - 145
14: Taylor - 131
15: Ronaldo - 130 *
16: McClair - 127
17: Solskjaer - 126
18: Cole - 121
19: Turnbull - 101
20: Cassidy - 100
20: Wall - 100

* May not be 100% up to date, haven't checked.

Martial is currently 28th (79 goals).

sp_107

Not just Martial, we have few guys on high wages not really contributing as they should.

Who is on the below list you think deserve those salaries?

David De Gea - £19,500,000 =19.5M

Paul Pogba - £15,080,000 =15M

Edinson Cavani - £13,000,000 = 13M

Anthony Martial - £13,000,000 =13M

Juan Mata - £8,320,000 = 8.3M

Luke Shaw - £7,900,000 =8M

Nemanja Matic - £6,240,000 =6.2M

Phil Jones - £3,900,000 =4M

Jesse Lingard - £3,900,000 =4M

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Good he wants to leave, he's more than outstayed his welcome. Hopefully we can get some good money for him and sell him to a club like Arsenal or Spurs who fit his mentality better

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not just Martial, we have few guys on high wages not really contributing as they should.

Who is on the below list you think deserve those salaries?

David De Gea - £19,500,000 =19.5M

Paul Pogba - £15,080,000 =15M

Edinson Cavani - £13,000,000 = 13M

Anthony Martial - £13,000,000 =13M

Juan Mata - £8,320,000 = 8.3M

Luke Shaw - £7,900,000 =8M

Nemanja Matic - £6,240,000 =6.2M

Phil Jones - £3,900,000 =4M

Jesse Lingard - £3,900,000 =4M
What wages are Chelsea's team on? It's relative. What do Alonso, Kovacic, Pulisic, Chilwell, Barkley, & Thiago Silva get?

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Good he wants to leave, he's more than outstayed his welcome. Hopefully we can get some good money for him and sell him to a club like Arsenal or Spurs who fit his mentality better
We give you Auba, Laca and Xhaka for Martial. Elite mentality.

Jibbs

I'd agree with that but will argue that Rashford is still effective out wide. I think he stagnated, or at most, developed only a little, under Mourinho and Ole. He has shown multiple times in the past that he has the energy and pace to thrive in a high pressing system. This will take some time to get him back into that style. His decision making hasn't made great qualitative leaps since the LVG days either. If Rashford can pick up well on Ralf's "training the brain", then I predict he will excel to the potential we saw from the beginning. This is the beauty of having a real tactician at the helms.
He has been at the club first team for 6 years now. By this time Rooney and Ronaldo at the same age had won us 3 league titles and a champions league. This is the level we need to win titles. Forget Ronaldo, take Sadio Mane for eg, that is the kind of wide forward we need and Rashford is miles behind that, and sadly will never reach that level.

JB7

Yeah, I don't know what that Transfermarkt list is based on - it's incorrect at any rate.

Can't see the one you posted, though - says you need to register in order to view it.

This should be correct (top 20, all time, all competitions):

1: Rooney - 253
2: Charlton - 249
3: Law - 237
4: Rowley - 211
5: Viollet - 179
5: Best - 179
7: Spence - 168
8: Giggs - 168
9: Hughes - 163
10: Scholes - 155
11: v. Nistelrooy - 150
12: Pearson - 148
13: Herd - 145
14: Taylor - 131
15: Ronaldo - 130 *
16: McClair - 127
17: Solskjaer - 126
18: Cole - 121
19: Turnbull - 101
20: Cassidy - 100
20: Wall - 100

* May not be 100% up to date, haven't checked.

Martial is currently 28th (79 goals).
Nonsense. Football only started in 1992.

Swiss_Red89

He has been at the club first team for 6 years now. By this time Rooney and Ronaldo at the same age had won us 3 league titles and a champions league. This is the level we need to win titles. Forget Ronaldo, take Sadio Mane for eg, that is the kind of wide forward we need and Rashford is miles behind that, and sadly will never reach that level.
Rashford is not "miles behind Mane". And certainly can reach his level, he has even done it already in patches.

Jibbs

Rashford is not "miles behind Mane". And certainly can reach his level, he has even done it already in patches.
You don’t win league titles by doing it in patches. One needs consistent performances up top to achieve that.

soapythecat

Both he and Pogba leaving the club will be amazing. For moments of brilliance they both decide a fan base and have ridiculous cult followings.
I don’t care what they go on to achieve elsewhere, as long as they aren’t at OT, I don’t care.

Jackal981

Remember when LVG wanted to sign Mane from Soton and we bashed and laughed at him ? Wish we would have signed him instead of this lazy cnut.

Josep Dowling

Such an odd player that has an undeserved cult following. Never good enough for us and should have been sold a long time ago.
This. I think his debut goal is stuck in some fans minds but this was 6 years ago. The guy hasn’t pushed on. Should have cut our losses with him and Pogba a long time ago.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Actually think in his younger days he would have been the perfect Wenger pet project to shape as a number 9.

Certainly wouldn't advise him to join Arteta's Arsenal now mind you.

Josh 76

Remember when LVG wanted to sign Mane from Soton and we bashed and laughed at him ? Wish we would have signed him instead of this lazy cnut.
Haha
I think someone put that thread up here a few months ago. (When LVG bid for Mane) Some of the posts were a joke!

Swiss_Red89

You don’t win league titles by doing it in patches. One needs consistent performances up top to achieve that.
Yes agree, that's the problem with Rashford so far and we all agree that he has to become more consistent.

But to say he will never be able to match Manes level is not true imo because he already has shown that he is capable of. It's a question of if he is able to do it more consistently. His performances under a more progressive manager as RR will give us a hint if he is or not.

Frank White

Yep because the teams Rashford has played with and the managers he's played under are even remotely comparable :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.