Martial Number Change Fallout

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Januzaj is a fringe player at best. I am not sure if he will even be on our bench this season while Martial is a starter and one of our best players. Starters always get to pick numbers from 1 to 11.

Zlatan is a mercenary with no attachment to this club. He is 35 year old and will be lucky to stay here past this one season. Furthermore, NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB. That means, no one gets to steal another starters number just because he has a bigger name.

I would also say it's Zlatan who can consider himself lucky playing next to Martial. Zlatan can barely run or dribble past any players anymore. He should thank God he now has players on each side of him as good as what he had at PSG. Without Martial and Mikhi he would be exposed as the overrated has-been he is. PL is not the French League, and Manchester United is nowhere close to being as good as PSG. So he should consider himself lucky to play along with the best U21 player in the world.
Sounds like you really hate Zlatan? I'm so looking forward to seeing him prove you, and loads of oppo fans wrong.

MartialsBeard

Dude, I am going to assume that you are angry about something, because I refuse anybody can believe any of what you have written.
Yeah, I get what he is saying. But the truth is far from what hes getting at. Yes Ibra is old, he is potantially a has been but your really ognoring what he has done recently. Say the guy is turning 35 hes still killing it in at the top level and whats more is he has done consistently over a very long and incredible career. Hes literally won the title everywhere he has gone. Hes a freak man. Like a Drogba or Lampard, still insanely good until the last days of thier careers. He is in the generation above messi and ronaldo as a pure legend of the game, we would grant ronaldo any number as we would messi as we would any legend coming in. We are lucky as a club he decided to come and see what he could do in the prem here. Because I tell you what if he went anywhere else hed cause us A LOT of headaches.

RetroStu

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, it sounds like something out bumbling staff would do.
Its disrespectful to Martial, a kid who is arguably our best player and could be Utd's future, dumbasses.
Having said that, if Martial is going to keep sulking about this and rumours start about wanting out, just sell him.

bubbles_

Is this not just a load of promotional bollocks so that it draws attention to his rebrand when he changes his Twitter handle? The numbers have been out for a while and I'm sure he'll have to be contractually informed if we change his number.

Squaaaad

It's not just about the number, it's about the principle and respect. If you went on holiday from work and came back to find that your working space had been moved to accommodate some new guy and you wasn't consulted before hand you would feel abit pissed off. Sure you can do your work in the new space but it would have been courteous to have been consulted before the move. Obviously this is assuming that he wasn't told about the number change.

RedStarUnited

@MartialsBeard

For someone who claims to be a Martial fan, you have completely missed the reason why he or most likely the people in his camp would be pissed. Cos to you, Ibra is such a legend that we should accommodate him and disregard what other players think. This is without even knowing if Ibra wanted the number or not.

It's not just about the number, it's about the principle and respect. If you went on holiday from work and came back to find that your working space had been moved to accommodate some new guy and you wasn't consulted before hand you would feel abit pissed off. Sure you can do your work in the new space but it would have been courteous to have been consulted before the move. Obviously this is assuming that he wasn't told about the number change.
Perfectly put.

MartialsBeard

@MartialsBeard

For someone who claims to be a Martial fan, you have completely missed the reason why he or most likely the people in his camp would be pissed. Cos to you, Ibra is such a legend that we should accommodate him and disregard what other players think. This is without even knowing if Ibra wanted the number or not.

Perfectly put.
Course I am a Martial fan theres no "supposed" about it. I just like perspective. We can all go crazy saying hes owed this that and the other amd its disrespectful but my arguement is simple "respect is earnt" as is the ability to claim a number or spot in the team.

Dont get me wrong. Its clear to me that Martial is probably the crowning jewel of our team even still with all the signings. BUT he is not the forat kid to rock up to OT making claims for himself and demamding numbers due to branding (if reports are true). Now i get being pissed about it all. It sucks. You were no.9 big Zlatan turns up and now your no.11. Boohoo. What he needs to know is that he would still be an unknown in the frnech league throwing up meaningless numbers. Its us that made hin a household name. Its us who put him on the map. Things like this woll happen to all you g players and its part of the game to take it on the chin and carry on. It is a number ffs and hes inherited one with ALOT more history behind it.

The point I make is no player in his position one year into joining should bat an eye lid at this. Pogba didnt cry with all the changes to his team shirt no. Niether did Ronald or shaw so why would he.

Jaybomb

Can't believe what I'm reading here to be honest.

I like Martial. I think he's a bright young talent and overall, he's been a good signing for us. HOWEVER, I still think he's immensely overrated by our fans. Like massively.

For starters, I think some people took that rumoured clause in his contract where "If he wins the Ballon d'Or, we have to pay Monaco 70m" way too literally. Nobody knows if this is even true and I think people get a little carried away with it, like it's definitely a fact and you're wrong if you don't think it's gonna happen. Some people are going on about him saying "Oh, he'll win the Ballon d'Or in a few years", he's gonna do this and that in a few years"... First of all, nobody knows what's gonna happen. He might be absolutely terrible under Mourinho. Nobody knows! I remember before Van Gaal came here, everyone was raving on about Januzaj and how good he was. 'The Next Ronaldo' they were calling him. And now look at him. Same thing happened with Depay, nearly everyone was calling for his signature and now it seems like everyone has forgotten about him.

If Martial really did kick up a fuss about his squad number been taken, then I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine Keane or Scholes or Giggs having a meltdown over something like that? We need more players like them. Scholes came back and took number 22 and didn't bat an eyelid. Martial gets the iconic #11 shirt which was used by Giggs for 20+ years and he's upset over it? If that's the mentality he has, then I don't want him at our club. Although he's a good player, he's not "world class"... we've lost better and survived. It's not like he's irreplaceable like some people are acting.

And why are people having a go at Zlatan? Martial has been here 1 year. It's not like Zlatan came in and took Rooney's number 10. Besides, Martial wearing number 9 on the wing? What winger wears number 9 these days? The entire thing just sums up just about everything I hate in modern football. "Player branding", stressing over squad numbers, what color of boots they wear, what their hair looks like etc etc. The game is literally becoming a PR prima-donna parade. How many "REAL" footballers are there left?

MikeSmalling

Glad to see people have migrated from the Pogba thread to turn this one into a panic room. Nearly 6 pages about a tweet from someone not even remotely associated with the club. Ah, the summer doldrums.

mu4c_20le

I only just saw his facebook updates today, and then this thread. And I will only say one thing. I'm looking forward to watching him take on Ibra this season. He's not one to moan publicly but if this does affect him then it will only drive him to work even harder.

Gasolin

Is the Martial fuss real? Cause he went from 9 to 11, those are great numbers.

adamwest

Can't believe what I'm reading here to be honest.

I like Martial. I think he's a bright young talent and overall, he's been a good signing for us. HOWEVER, I still think he's immensely overrated by our fans. Like massively.

For starters, I think some people took that rumoured clause in his contract where "If he wins the Ballon d'Or, we have to pay Monaco 70m" way too literally. Nobody knows if this is even true and I think people get a little carried away with it, like it's definitely a fact and you're wrong if you don't think it's gonna happen. Some people are going on about him saying "Oh, he'll win the Ballon d'Or in a few years", he's gonna do this and that in a few years"... First of all, nobody knows what's gonna happen. He might be absolutely terrible under Mourinho. Nobody knows! I remember before Van Gaal came here, everyone was raving on about Januzaj and how good he was. 'The Next Ronaldo' they were calling him. And now look at him. Same thing happened with Depay, nearly everyone was calling for his signature and now it seems like everyone has forgotten about him.

If Martial really did kick up a fuss about his squad number been taken, then I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine Keane or Scholes or Giggs having a meltdown over something like that? We need more players like them. Scholes came back and took number 22 and didn't bat an eyelid. Martial gets the iconic #11 shirt which was used by Giggs for 20+ years and he's upset over it? If that's the mentality he has, then I don't want him at our club. Although he's a good player, he's not "world class"... we've lost better and survived. It's not like he's irreplaceable like some people are acting.

And why are people having a go at Zlatan? Martial has been here 1 year. It's not like Zlatan came in and took Rooney's number 10. Besides, Martial wearing number 9 on the wing? What winger wears number 9 these days? The entire thing just sums up just about everything I hate in modern football. "Player branding", stressing over squad numbers, what color of boots they wear, what their hair looks like etc etc. The game is literally becoming a PR prima-donna parade. How many "REAL" footballers are there left?
Usually just a reader nowadays but thought this deserved a bit of recognition. You're absolutely spot on. The really sad thing is that pages and pages of tripe in this place are accumulated over absolutely nothing. Assumptions, Daily Mail headlines, paranoia, tweets. It's like reading through confessions of a teenage pubescent except you aren't sure how old everyone us and that's really worrying. Oh and back on to Martial - he's a quality player, i'm sure we would have asked him if we were to change his shirt number, but if we didn't so what? We're still paying him an extortionate amount of money so he should be happy with whatever number our manager or whoever else above him deems him to have.

NotQuiteManc

Is there any type of reaction from Martial's side at all? At least the agents or wife? Yes? No?

prath92

Can't see this being anything more than a small issue

Surely we will do whatever it takes to keep him in the team and martial doesn't seem to be the selfish type to make a big fuss over numbers

Not very worried

Derrick B

Somehow I doubt we never told him. A bit strange that he has new marketing material advertising the #9 shirt. I wouldn't read much into it. If he truly is complaining about being switched the #11 shirt, which was worn by one of our greatest players and one of the most decorated winners of all time, then he doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. I'm sure he will be just fine. He wears it for France anyway. Plus, I think his future is at LW/LF. Number suits him better. Let Rashford have the #9 when Ibra leaves if he continues to improve. I would've rather seen Ibra get the 7 and Martial stay 9 for now, but whatever.

prath92

Yeah I mean when schweini wanted 31, we asked Fellaini if we can give his number. And Fellaini agreed and chose 27.

Similarly Schneiderlin wanted 8 but mata refused unless he got 10.

I don't believe that we wouldn't tell martial the same (even though bouhafsi is te journo)

Red_toad

What point :houllier:
What point is being missed?

If any player has a meltdown over the number on their shirt, the club must bend to their wishes?
I'm pretty sure he'd have been informed, prior to any changes.

For me our left winger, should always wear the prestigious no 11. It is far more iconic than United's no 9 shirt.

26andahalfyears

The entire thing just sums up just about everything I hate in modern football. "Player branding", stressing over squad numbers, what color of boots they wear, what their hair looks like etc etc. The game is literally becoming a PR prima-donna parade. How many "REAL" footballers are there left?
Football is just a job at the end of the day for most, if not all the players. Their professional career as a footballer is very short-lived and the field of work that they can go to after retirement is very limited. Hence, these players want to make the most out of their short-lived career to earn as much as they can, including from sponsorship, marketing, image, branding, etc. People would argue that some of these footballers are getting paid a lot, so much more than what most of us can earn in our lifetime. It doesn't matter because it's their right to get all these sponsorship deals as long as it doesn't harm the game and compromise their performances on the field.

JackXX

Hopefully fuss about nothing but I don't understand why they changed his shirt in the first place. He's our best player give him whatever shirt he wants.

korenmanutd

I don't see what's the big fuss about this. Have we reached a point so low as a club that we now think that changing a players number will make him want to leave us? So what if they changed his number? I'm 100% sure that the club informed Anthony of the change, no way they didn't, and If his people are now angry at this, well, that's too bad but I think we'll manage to get through this awful awful story. Also getting the 11 jersey should make him even more proud, so let's put things in perspective and just chill.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
It does sound like something Mourinho would do to be fair.

Jaybomb

Hopefully fuss about nothing but I don't understand why they changed his shirt in the first place. He's our best player give him whatever shirt he wants.
That was arguable before the arrival of Zlatan. Who is arguably top 5 in the world.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol:
Come on, this is not a playground. Martial was well informed and the number switch wouldn't have happened without his agreement. Can the season start already? Slow news

MDFC Manager

What the feck is this argument? :houllier:Martial doesn't seem like one who'd give two shits about which number he gets.

Chuckazulu

What the feck is this argument? :houllier:Martial doesn't seem like one who'd give two shits about which number he gets.
I don't get it either. This is totally pointless and I think the number 11 is as well legendary. If he gives a shit, he should be proud instead. Plus it looked really awkward for me seeing a 9 playing a lot better on the left wing where 7s & 11s usually play. It's Januzaj who should be fuming here

CS@SG

Would be stupid for us mere mortals who don't have to throw money out of windows. "Anthony Martial" is even trademarked :lol:, how stupid is it to trademark a name.
"Jose Mourinho" is a trademark as well. It was owned by Chelsea even after Jose was sacked by them, and became a problem when Jose wanted to sign with ManUtd. That was stupid.

CS@SG

Jesus Christ it's just a number. Anyway, 11 suits Martial more than 9. He's not a 9 yet and he's inheriting Giggs' number, that's more important than 9.

If a player gets mad over a number then he shouldn't be here. It's the honest truth.

I'm sure Martial won't be acting like we've 'betrayed' him.
It is just a number, so why can't Zlatan take another number and let Anthony have #9?

Well, it is just a number.

DarkXaero

Januzaj is a fringe player at best. I am not sure if he will even be on our bench this season while Martial is a starter and one of our best players. Starters always get to pick numbers from 1 to 11.

Zlatan is a mercenary with no attachment to this club. He is 35 year old and will be lucky to stay here past this one season. Furthermore, NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB. That means, no one gets to steal another starters number just because he has a bigger name.

I would also say it's Zlatan who can consider himself lucky playing next to Martial. Zlatan can barely run or dribble past any players anymore. He should thank God he now has players on each side of him as good as what he had at PSG. Without Martial and Mikhi he would be exposed as the overrated has-been he is. PL is not the French League, and Manchester United is nowhere close to being as good as PSG. So he should consider himself lucky to play along with the best U21 player in the world.
Wow...

Chuckazulu

It is just a number, so why can't Zlatan take another number and let Anthony have #9?

Well, it is just a number.
Maybe because Zlatan is primarily a striker. Martial, on the other hand, fits better on the left, on the 11

M Bison

Supports
York City
Glad to see people have migrated from the Pogba thread to turn this one into a panic room. Nearly 6 pages about a tweet from someone not even remotely associated with the club. Ah, the summer doldrums.
Perfectly put, utter none sense some of the comments in this thread.

psychdelicblues

No im sorry butvwhat has Martial done to warrent that kind of power? We just stripped Januzaj after 2 years of wearing the 11 and gave it to Martial. To United to him as a fan (supposedly) it should mean more. Our numbers carry value. Ibra is coming in as senior player with nothing to prove and HAS proven before in the same league that Martial came from that he is currently miles ahead of Martial and Martial should consider himself lucky to play under or next to a player like Ibra.

Let me be clear. Before Ibra joined I was skeptical the bloke is OLD especially for the prem but hes also a freak. Physically he will be able to handle himself and even bully others. But he is technically amazing and can finish from almost anywhere on the pitch. Martial should learn from him. Be humble. Your 20 ffs look around you lad. No other player in any other team is claiming a number at your age. Be a sponge. Maybe one day hell become what we think he can be. But not leaving over something as mundane and essentially silly as a squad number. Deary me.
He's our best outfield player.

MounchesterUtd

This is the kind of shit that will go down during the Moyes and LVG regimes, but I'm sure Jose won't allow such disrespect.

That said, the club could've informed AM but that doesn't mean he took it well.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is the kind of shit that will go down during the Moyes and LVG regimes, but I'm sure Jose won't allow such disrespect.

That said, the club could've informed AM but that doesn't mean he took it well.
Well considering it didn't happen under LVG and Moyes but has actually happened under Mourinho I think that's the biggest reach I've ever read.

Mal donaghy

His FB page has two posts from the last 8 hours clearly using the no. 9 as branding. Not saying there's anything in it but a bit of a message maybe? I wouldn't have expected the player himself to be overly bothered but if you're building his brand and they change his number, his people may be annoyed.

Cover:

Profile:

OOOPS!!!