Martial's United career so far?

AndyJ1985

Wouldn't know how he is personally but he doesn't seem to have the right attitude.
Anyone who behaves like him is a shit person. We have a few of them in the team. Mentally weak, lazy, and overrated. I think we may have unfairly attacked Mourinho for his handling of Martial.

SteveW

Thought he looked alright tonight until Young and De Gea decided to end the game.

finneh

Do we get running stats for the CL?
He covers 8.9km per 90 mins... Less than everyone in our squad (and pretty much anyone else's) except the keeper.

With him in the team we play with 9.5 outfield men every game without fail.

RUCK4444

Terrible attitude, jogs around with his head to the sky being absolutely anonymous, if he can’t run around and apply himself 100% on a night like tonight then when will he?
His technique is not in question it’s purely the lack of desire, I cannot stand that weak mentality, it’s the worst trait in our current squad

Varunie1208

He played so poorly it warranted an increase in wages. Woodward working his magic.

MAME DIOUF 32

He's a passenger out of possession. Some attackers are good enough to get away with that but Martial is absolutely not one of them. If anybody on the continent is still sniffing around then I'd be inviting offers.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Did he play today? Martial if one of my favourties players. He can produce moments of magic, when he is on form, but he just seems way content to go that extra mile to become our best forward.

Cloud7

He’s my second favorite player in the team after Pogs, but he really has not been good for quite a while now. What good is it having 3 players who all play best from the LW if all three of them aren’t performing? It’s hamstringing the team and we can’t even do any transfer business in that area either.

thejtrain

For every good game he has, he manages a dozen poor ones. Would be benched pretty much every game at every other major club with the effort he puts in on the pitch.

Scholsey2004

can't really think of a good performance since we played against Fulham in early February

he's dropped off in the same manner as Pogba and Rashford and it's no surprise our performances have suffered given how important the three are to us.....

we need him to show more consistency
They're not alone. There's obviously some kind of problem with our dressing room at the moment. There was a spell after Jose left when everyone pulled together but now it's back to form. This squad's toxic and we need a huge clear out and I struggle to see it happening.

ti vu

They're not alone. There's obviously some kind of problem with our dressing room at the moment. There was a spell after Jose left when everyone pulled together but now it's back to form. This squad's toxic and we need a huge clear out and I struggle to see it happening.
Just a guess:
We ain't same level in recruiting top class players in their prime like Barcelona Madrid, even paying stupid for players like PSG, so after every good period, the motivation can't be kept. However, when introducing competition, due to managers are not fully 100% full control, and there is no public expectation from fan base like Madrid Barcelona booing underperforming good players; our players find it easier to hide. Adding a football illiterate man at the top of power giving questionable extensions to manager, players sending wrong messages, creating this confusion around the club. And somehow this person ain't accounted for failure.

Barcelona board runs their as off to correct things around election. Perez was kicked out one and their managers help the team progress are under constant pressure. They all make mistake, but they are accounted for their doing so they're forced/ motivated to not stand still.

In short, our team is he reflection of the man with the most executive power at the club at he moment.

Last edited:

Luke1995

Martial reminds alot of Benzema. Talented, but ultimately can only deliver in certain moments. He's a good squad player but hasn't made the improvements required to lead the attack for years to come.

RedDevil@84

Martial reminds alot of Benzema. Talented, but ultimately can only deliver in certain moments. He's a good squad player but hasn't made the improvements required to lead the attack for years to come.
Maybe, but at the age of 23, Benzema had two 20+ seasons at Lyon and probably one at Real and maybe more than 10 goals for the NT.

beingshe7don

Come to think of it, even Nani played a lot better than Martial. He just got a bumper contract of 200k ish... can't' afford to have him be a bench player.

ti vu

Benzema has the workrate to work as support for a superior goal scorer. An integrated part of a successful period of the club.

Anelka is more better example. After that season at Arsenal, he struggled for a while even at lower level club before kind of making it back to top level at Chelsea for few years. However, for all the early promise, Anelka top level at Chelsea is huge disappointment.

We're not at top level in comparison to the like of Barcelona for instance, yet Martial starting is debatable. It's mile off Benzema being mainstay for Real Madrid.

Luke1995

Maybe, but at the age of 23, Benzema had two 20+ seasons at Lyon and probably one at Real and maybe more than 10 goals for the NT.
I know, but the idea of the comparison was to point out that in certain games both of them look like the finished article and in others not. It's almost like they choose the games they will show up

Benzema just is better at masking some of his poor games with goals here and there, but his overall performances leave some stuff to be desired.

At least Martial can hopefully improve with a full season under Solskjaer.

The Nani

He would remind us a lot more of a player of Benzema's quality if he were actually played through the middle.

I'm sick of the sight of him hugging the left touchline.

Such a waste.

Had his #9 taken away and given to Zlatan. Then given to Lukaku. Then Rashford is given #10. All while they play through the middle and he doesn't. Hell, Lingard is played centrally instead.

I don't excuse him for his more pathetic performances by any stretch, but if I were him I'd be a bit disillusioned too. That said, if that is indeed the case he should be leaving rather than signing a new contract.

Luke1995

Come to think of it, even Nani played a lot better than Martial. He just got a bumper contract of 200k ish... can't' afford to have him be a bench player.
Yeah, from 2009 to 2012 Nani was very good. Martial's best is still 15-16.

haram

Benzema was a much much better player than Martial.

Luke1995

Benzema has the workrate to work as support for a superior goal scorer. An integrated part of a successful period of the club.

Anelka is more better example. After that season at Arsenal, he struggled for a while even at lower level club before kind of making it back to top level at Chelsea for few years. However, for all the early promise, Anelka top level at Chelsea is huge disappointment.

We're not at top level in comparison to the like of Barcelona for instance, yet Martial starting is debatable. It's mile off Benzema being mainstay for Real Madrid.
I feel like Anelka played for so many clubs throught his career it stopped his development due to not being in the same place for a sustained period of time.

Luke1995

He would remind us a lot more of a player of Benzema's quality if he were actually played through the middle.

Such a waste.

Had his #9 taken away and given to Zlatan. Then given to Lukaku. Then Rashford is given #10. All while they play through the middle and he doesn't. Hell, Lingard is played centrally instead.

I don't excuse him for his more pathetic performances by any stretch, but if I were him I'd be a bit disillusioned too. That said, if that is indeed the case he should be leaving rather than signing a new contract.
Who should play as the left winger then ? Rashford has shown he does better in a central role, there are not many options.

Eddy_JukeZ

Martial is nowhere near Nani.

Nani from 2010-2012 is far above Martial as a player. It's not even close.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And some want him as our no. 9. His movement will be worse than the overweight Lukaku (now he's not, before anyone protesting).

ti vu

Such a waste.

The reason he is not preferred in central position is simple: not pressing enough, just look at his cameo in first leg. He's not trying to run in behind as much, which leading to opposition having more breathing space between retain possession, and pushing up. Again that cameo against Barcelona showed.

He got his wage quadrupled and he is happy to sign it, so that bs shirt number should be put into rest. It's not the manager decision. He's happy to sign the contract negotiate with the same one who gave the number away, then just stuff it. It's all negotiation ploy. No dignity between thieves.

ti vu

No one. We don't have any wingers in our squad.
The whole hugging the touch line is not the manager fault, and overstated. He is not asked to do the traditional winger work most of the time under OGS. Guess what? Martial is jogging about on the left wing, marking nobody. Involved little in ball carrying, and still can't learn to time his run to central area.

If anyone watch Lyon, Netherland NT game, even they would notice, Memphis Depay moves around more whether he plays as wing forward or central forward. And we're not even talking about Messi, doing all these play making, ball carrying, wing play, free kick and still appears in central position to take shot.

ti vu

I feel like Anelka played for so many clubs throught his career it stopped his development due to not being in the same place for a sustained period of time.
It's more like he was sulking when he moved to Madrid and reality hit him, then he couldn't collect himself still viewing at top of world when moving around clubs. If your mentality is right and you have talent, there is no stopping you to be a good player. Anelka had this similar feel about when he's not motivated, he's like a missing player on the pitch, even at low level game in low level match; yet he could turn up some day and looked majestic!

The Nani

The reason he is not preferred in central position is simple: not pressing enough, just look at his cameo in first leg. He's not trying to run in behind as much, which leading to opposition having more breathing space between retain possession, and pushing up. Again that cameo against Barcelona showed.

He got his wage quadrupled and he is happy to sign it, so that bs shirt number should be put into rest. It's not the manager decision. He's happy to sign the contract negotiate with the same one who gave the number away, then just stuff it. It's all negotiation ploy. No dignity between thieves.
I don’t disagree per se, but what did Lingard do today? I didn’t see much pressing or any clever runs in behind. Or much of anything. And Martial was just coming back from injury in the first leg, was he not?

The second paragraph is spot on. But the crux of the matter is that he is here now. For the forseeable future. So either we continue to try to shoehorn him into a role he isn’t suited to or try something different. I vote for the latter. At least we know he can finish.

el3mel

The whole hugging the touch line is not the manager fault, and overstated. He is not asked to do the traditional winger work most of the time under OGS. Guess what? Martial is jogging about on the left wing, marking nobody. Involved little in ball carrying, and still can't learn to time his run to central area.

If anyone watch Lyon, Netherland NT game, even they would notice, Memphis Depay moves around more whether he plays as wing forward or central forward. And we're not even talking about Messi, doing all these play making, ball carrying, wing play, free kick and still appears in central position to take shot.
These things are fantasy to Martial. His first reaction if his coach told him to do that will be "eh?".

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His attitude doesn’t suit our style. I just have a feeling that he’s not a United type of player, talent only isn’t enough.

I’ll keep him as a backup of Rashford next season, good rotation to have for next season and if somehow he can make some improvement both his skills & mentally as a footballer then he can be our starter. But at the moment he’s not ready.

We will need to buy two starter attackers to compete.

ti vu

I don’t disagree per se, but what did Lingard do today? I didn’t see much pressing or any clever runs in behind. Or much of anything. And Martial was just coming back from injury in the first leg, was he not?

The second paragraph is spot on. But the crux of the matter is that he is here now. For the forseeable future. So either we continue to try to shoehorn him into a role he isn’t suited to or try something different. I vote for the latter. At least we know he can finish.
Go rewatch the game.

Even when we failed to get th ball, Lingard and Rashford tried to chase, and press. Barcelona is just too good. The whole Martial being stuck out on the wing, even under Deschamps is just a ploy to shift the blame around. Looks at Mbappe plays under the same Deschamps, even being tasked heavily with ball carrying responsibility which is more associated with wingers than forward.

Martial coming back from injury is anything but excuse. Remember Rashford playing injured against Liverpool still trying to chase after loose ball. Lingard got sidelined after his run in same game returning from injury. You may be rusty from injury that can be excused, but low workrate (it's not just one off occasion when it comes to Martial) is not. Young Rooney being shite after an injury but his workrate was not to be questioned. Martial case is more like the aged overpaid Rooney.

As for finishing, I wish I have the access to content and ability to edit gift, I can easily point out Martial's tendency to drop in the space between CBs and midfielders. This is a strait of shadow forward playing off a leading forward. It's not just not doing running behind (space attacking), but also when receiving cross. The problem it creates is that we need better passers, and crossers to pick him out. So basically same shite in different way. Even our best crossers ain't all that good. Martial neglects to even run across defenders is the problem.

Edit: for record, I don't think Lingard is starting XI material. The issue here is nobody deserve it either, and in shadow chasing, pressing game, by probability, a tryer is better than low workrate.

Last edited:

The Nani

Go rewatch the game.

Even when we failed to get th ball, Lingard and Rashford tried to chase, and press. Barcelona is just too good. The whole Martial being stuck out on the wing, even under Deschamps is just a ploy to shift the blame around. Looks at Mbappe plays under the same Deschamps, even being tasked heavily with ball carrying responsibility which is more associated with wingers than forward.

Martial coming back from injury is anything but excuse. Remember Rashford playing injured against Liverpool still trying to chase after loose ball. Lingard got sidelined after his run in same game returning from injury. You may be rusty from injury that can be excused, but low workrate (it's not just one off occasion when it comes to Martial) is not. Young Rooney being shite after an injury but his workrate was not to be questioned. Martial case is more like the aged overpaid Rooney.

As for finishing, I wish I have the access to content and ability to edit gift, I can easily point out Martial's tendency to drop in the space between CBs and midfielders. This is a strait of shadow forward playing off a leading forward. It's not just not doing running behind (space attacking), but also when receiving cross. The problem it creates is that we need better passers, and crossers to pick him out. So basically same shite in different way. Even our best crossers ain't all that good. Martial neglects to even run across defenders is the problem.

Edit: for record, I don't think Lingard is starting XI material. The issue here is nobody deserve it either, and in shadow chasing, pressing game, by probability, a tryer is better than low workrate.
You’re losing me here, mate.

Firstly, Lingard didn’t do jack shit tonight. He was toothless with or without the ball. Secondly, a team of grafters running around chasing the ball is for the Burnleys of the world.

If we want to be on a level with Barcelona, we can’t expect every player in our team to run for days and track every runner.

You have to make concessions for some players. And while it may or may not be worth making those concessions for Martial, we won’t bloody know unless we try it.

But the fact of the matter is he is superior in every way to Rashford and Lukaku in and around the box. Never mind Lingard. So the objective should be to get him into those positions. Simple as.

ti vu

You’re losing me here, mate.

Firstly, Lingard didn’t do jack shit tonight. He was toothless with or without the ball. Secondly, a team of grafters running around chasing the ball is for the Burnleys of the world.

If we want to be on a level with Barcelona, we can’t expect every player in our team to run for days and track every runner.

You have to make concessions for some players. And while it may or may not be worth making those concessions for Martial, we won’t bloody know unless we try it.

But the fact of the matter is he is superior in every way to Rashford and Lukaku in and around the box. So the objective should be to get him into those positions. End of.
It's not tracking runners, but aware of the situation, and working as a team to try cutting out passing lane.

I repeat, the whole hugging the touch line is the issue created by Martial. Rashford playing this role under OGS did it differently, and that's not even comparing to other wing forwards in other teams.

OGS already tried it with fresh leg Martial in the first leg, and it backfired in us completely losing out our momentum and stopped being able to push into Barcelona half, let alone talking about shooting.

How come Barcelona who dominated possession, but their players bar GK covered more ground than Martial in same minutes?

Again the best advice is rewatch the game.