Martial's United career so far?

Scholsey2004

Just a guess:
We ain't same level in recruiting top class players in their prime like Barcelona Madrid, even paying stupid for players like PSG, so after every good period, the motivation can't be kept. However, when introducing competition, due to managers are not fully 100% full control, and there is no public expectation from fan base like Madrid Barcelona booing underperforming good players; our players find it easier to hide. Adding a football illiterate man at the top of power giving questionable extensions to manager, players sending wrong messages, creating this confusion around the club. And somehow this person ain't accounted for failure.

Barcelona board runs their as off to correct things around election. Perez was kicked out one and their managers help the team progress are under constant pressure. They all make mistake, but they are accounted for their doing so they're forced/ motivated to not stand still.

In short, our team is he reflection of the man with the most executive power at the club at he moment.
I totally agree. Ed Woodward's effectively our director of football and it shows the lack of understanding of the glazers for that to be allowed to happen. It' clearly him who dominates transfer dealings for instance because when we sack a manager it doesn't significantly alter our transfer targets. He's the one handing out huge contracts to average players or young players who are far from the finished article and extensions to fringe players on big wages most clubs would be looking to move on. And there's no possibility of change because his is the only voice in the glazers' ear when it comes to why the club is failing. There was a shot of him with friends watching the west ham game and they were all shaking their heads in annoyance. Obviously solskjaer's going to be the next sacrificial lamb to Woodward's face saving.

Sing you a song

Martial ...... sell him now when we can still get good money for him.The most overrated player at the club ( and with the mob we have that is saying something !! ) he constantly flatters to deceive.
When he scores and has an influential performance ( on the odd occasion) we treat him like the messiah and shout from the rooftops what a special player he is and what potential he has .
Unfortunately he still shows no consistency and continues to look uninterested most of the time. You can have all the talent in the world but if you only show it one game in ten it’s not enough. Get rid

Champagne Football

If he was playing striker for us now he's be on 20+ goals already this season. He's already proved when playing striker that he's good enough for the Premier league. Out wide not so much

jesperjaap

Many young talent, wonder boys ended up with so so career. Football is not just about early bird. Someone like Luis Suarez who reached top level later achieved a level above many wasted former young talents. For example, Luis Suarez at his best is better than Anelka had ever displayed who was at one time second most expensive player,in the world just behind then already best player award Ronaldo. Anelka however couldn't be denied that in raw talent term is on same par with the best forwards of his generation.

Dembele, Coutinho cost like double to triple Martial fee and can still be on the bench. Barcelona bought Malcom when they don't really need him for similar fee to what we paid for Martial. Fee means nothing. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

The no 9 position is there to be taken. Martial had been tried, and passed by not just one managers . I'd already touched on Martial first season for us. Remember how in the end, LVG kept Rashford as no.9 with Martial as left side forward. So even LVG ain't 100% following through with Martial is dead on central forward line of thinking. This whole thing is more wishful thinking than anything.

Edit:

Was Young really being targeted like one of the poster said? If Martial had to defend for Young and relative position show it's mostly against Sergio Roberto, then how come Martial covered so little ground when his mark supposed to be a full back pushing up the pitch?
Disagree on Suarez, he was really good at Ajax and constantly linked with big sides, including ourselves for a good couple of years before Liverpool took the chance on him.....and he was an instant hit and world class at Liverpool, pretty much at the age Martial is now. DOnt think its a good comparison anyway, Martials age and fee, was more a Rooney or Mbappe type transfer....aprt from him not being household name....thing is, I think we are both agreeing he really hasnt been good enough, only difference being I still think he is wasted on the left and would have more chance of being a success up front than on the left

jesperjaap

This whole comparison to Henry is a proven old cliche.

I doubted half of the people who make this comparison watched Henry played for Monaco, let alone few games at Juventus.

For starter, Henry never lacks effort. Always running at defenders. Problem? He was deemed as wasteful by at the time a very pragmatic Ancelotti. Remember that Serie A was top league at the time, and game was at high stake, often with small margin for error.

If old Ligue 1 or Serie A games are hard to find, try to find France 98 game. If anything, young Henry uses his pace more like Rashford than Martial. And in that France team, he played in wide area more than in the central position, too. What's more? He also operated on right wing for fair share of his minutes.
I remember him at Monaco as a teenager, playing against us with Trezeguet...bad memories haha. I made the comparison only in simple terms, electric pace, technically good, but just doesnt look right to me out wide, as apart from cutting inside the end product isnt there....like you mention of Henry at Juventus.....wasteful.
Arsenal must have loved Serie A, Rioch getting Berkamp and then Wenger Henry and Viera

ti vu

Disagree on Suarez, he was really good at Ajax and constantly linked with big sides, including ourselves for a good couple of years before Liverpool took the chance on him.....and he was an instant hit and world class at Liverpool, pretty much at the age Martial is now. DOnt think its a good comparison anyway, Martials age and fee, was more a Rooney or Mbappe type transfer....aprt from him not being household name....thing is, I think we are both agreeing he really hasnt been good enough, only difference being I still think he is wasted on the left and would have more chance of being a success up front than on the left
He went to Liverpool for a reason. And he didn't hit the road running at Liverpool. He was only really entering that level toward his last couple years with Liverpool where he elevated the team and his departure alone means trouble. Prior to that Liverpool cope well with his absence like when he was suspended re Evera incident.

Ajax not being his first Dutch club was another telling. When I talk about Anelka or Martial, it's about the recognition of world football given to these potential future world best player award. Luis Suarez was not even in that categories.

Bayern whole package for Renato Sanchez just a year later exceeded Martial where Rooney & Anelka record stood for long. In Anelka case, it's proportional more like Mbappe transfer fee.

ti vu

I remember him at Monaco as a teenager, playing against us with Trezeguet...bad memories haha. I made the comparison only in simple terms, electric pace, technically good, but just doesnt look right to me out wide, as apart from cutting inside the end product isnt there....like you mention of Henry at Juventus.....wasteful.
Arsenal must have loved Serie A, Rioch getting Berkamp and then Wenger Henry and Viera
Serie A was the top league and talents were in abundance. Getting players from Serie A could prove to be profitable just like the trend of purchasing Madrid, Barcelona out cast: Pique, Cesc, Thiago, Robben, Snejder... you get the idea.

It's not just Arsenal, the old Chelsea had a fair share of Serie imports.

I think wastefulness is what Henry compare himself to Martial and thought Martial was better than him at same age. Style wise IMO Henry was more Rashford, Mbappe than Martial. He used his pace to burn defenderslot more than Martial who just try to turn the defender to cut inside and shoot. Henry went outside and crossed plenty pre Arsenal

The Nani

If he was playing striker for us now he's be on 20+ goals already this season. He's already proved when playing striker that he's good enough for the Premier league. Out wide not so much
This is it in a nutshell. Much better technical ability and finishing than any of our other forwards. He’s also the only one who has any idea how to head the ball. He needs another proper run upfront before we give up on him.

Lots of posters slating him here are also completely ignoring the fact that he’s still making his way back from injury and always takes a while to get back to form just as Rooney did.

Keefy18

These things are fantasy to Martial. His first reaction if his coach told him to do that will be "eh?".

:lol::lol::lol:

If you think Martial has an attitude problem feck me, I can't find words to describe how bad Memphis attitude is.

Head up his arse and weather its been United, Lyon or the National side his attitude sucks.

He's delivering alright but for the simple reason of his bad attitude I'd most likely not want him back at United myself anyway.

RedIan

Great ability, occasionally brilliant, often poor.
Id be happy to see him swoped for a more consistant left sided winger attacker.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He must long for Mourinho. When he left all his excuses went with him.

youmeletsfly

Jury is out on Martial as a ST, he needs to be played in a different setup to take advantage of his speed and finishing. No way in hell he should be played on the left wing, even if that's where he had a few glimpses of dribbles and inside runs.

One thing that will always make me dislike him is his attitude. The simplest principles in football are being able to control a ball and being able/willing to run. You can't be a good football player unless you run and boy Martial is a lazy ass little mfecker. He needs to run more for a player that is deployed mainly on the wing.

If Leo and Cristiano can track back while being over 30(even if they don't constantly do it), Martial should be able to do it as well. The gap between Rash's attitude and Tony's is too fecking big.

As a simple conclusion, he's either played as a ST in a very attacking setup or he's as useless as tits on a mule.

Crashoutcassius

One of our only elite talents, if Ole is happy with him then we should persist. Some talents you can't buy - if you wait for someone to be established like de ligt then we can't compete for them

Cliche Guevara

One of our only elite talents, if Ole is happy with him then we should persist. Some talents you can't buy - if you wait for someone to be established like de ligt then we can't compete for them
What’s elite about him?

Payet was far better when he played at West Ham aged 30

Is he actually any better than Richarlison or Iwobi, for example?

Aloysius's Back 3

Jury is out on Martial as a ST, he needs to be played in a different setup to take advantage of his speed and finishing. No way in hell he should be played on the left wing, even if that's where he had a few glimpses of dribbles and inside runs.

One thing that will always make me dislike him is his attitude. The simplest principles in football are being able to control a ball and being able/willing to run. You can't be a good football player unless you run and boy Martial is a lazy ass little mfecker. He needs to run more for a player that is deployed mainly on the wing.

If Leo and Cristiano can track back while being over 30(even if they don't constantly do it), Martial should be able to do it as well. The gap between Rash's attitude and Tony's is too fecking big.

As a simple conclusion, he's either played as a ST in a very attacking setup or he's as useless as tits on a mule.
Martial should be utilised as a False 9 in my opinion - it addresses his own 'habits as a player' of dropping deep from a forward position to get the ball to his feet and then take on the central defence or make a short pass to someone else.

I also think Rashford is better as a LF rather than a pure CF - coming in from an angle; though people this is definitely not a winger.

Rashford - Greenwood
Martial

Crashoutcassius

What’s elite about him?

Payet was far better when he played at West Ham aged 30

Is he actually any better than Richarlison or Iwobi, for example?
I look at the great goals he has scored and think if we can put him in those positions more often he will be very effective. Similar to ronaldo at united, he had amazing moments very inconsistently, and was coached and the team was coached to make them more frequent.

Keefy18

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sell.
Too inconsistent and doesn't bring enough to the table.
Martial recently signed a new, highly lucrative contract. There is little to no chance of him leaving this summer.

I agree with you though, he is far too inconsistent and his attitude leaves much to be desired. Give him one more season, if he doesn't improve then we should look to sell the following summer.

Sir Scott McToMinay

This is embarrassing!

Richarlson
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ric...18&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Martial
https://www.transfermarkt.com/antho...18&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Martial has played over 400 mins less and has been more effective this season.
Playing for United and playing for Everton is not the same.

Actually, what’s embarrassing is that we’re handing out mega contracts to kids who did very little in the game.

Keefy18

Playing for United and playing for Everton is not the same.

Actually, what’s embarrassing is that we’re handing out mega contracts to kids who did very little in the game.
Well the contracts are on the board.

I can understand why it was given, he's still a very good player and for arguments sake if it doesn't work out next season for him under Ole at least we can get decent transfer fee on him as opposed to letting him go for free or close to it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Reminds me of Nani... except when I really think about it, I come to realisation that Nani was a far better player for us.

Martial is horrifically inconsistent in the sense that you don’t want to get rid of him just in case he comes good.

Born2Lose

Well the contracts are on the board.

I can understand why it was given, he's still a very good player and for arguments sake if it doesn't work out next season for him under Ole at least we can get decent transfer fee on him as opposed to letting him go for free or close to it.
That assumes we'll be able to find a club willing to buy him with a £250k a week contract. We couldn't even drum up interest two summers ago when he was on a much lesser one.

NJM78

I'd play him through the middle over Rashford everyday. I think he is probably our best natural finisher and with some better coaching I think he would do very well in this position. His laziness/sulking is a problem though and like Pogba very good when good but terrible when not.

Stat wise he has a decent return on goals and assists, am I right in saying he's the current top scorer in squad or is it Mata?

Anyway he really has to improve next season but if not I think a sale could be on the cards next summer.

Keefy18

That assumes we'll be able to find a club willing to buy him with a £250k a week contract. We couldn't even drum up interest two summers ago when he was on a much lesser one.
He'll have to take a cut, plenty do.

I don't believe he had no suitors, as with all transfer stories who knows but to say there was little interest is well wide of the mark. Bayern would have him in a heartbeat no doubt about it. They are in a mess and Ribery needs replacing. Chelsea barely hung onto Hazard and he's not exactly tried to kill rumors about leaving for Real.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/...erest-from-chelsea-dortmund-and-bayern-munich

Keefy18

I'd play him through the middle over Rashford everyday. I think he is probably our best natural finisher and with some better coaching I think he would do very well in this position. His laziness/sulking is a problem though and like Pogba very good when good but terrible when not.

Stat wise he has a decent return on goals and assists, am I right in saying he's the current top scorer in squad or is it Mata?

Anyway he really has to improve next season but if not I think a sale could be on the cards next summer.
Yep, Martial on 48 goals... Rashford 45 and Mata is on 44.

micmac

Going to get stick for this but I feel the only manager that really got anything from him was LVG.

el3mel

:lol::lol::lol:

If you think Martial has an attitude problem feck me, I can't find words to describe how bad Memphis attitude is.

Head up his arse and weather its been United, Lyon or the National side his attitude sucks.

He's delivering alright but for the simple reason of his bad attitude I'd most likely not want him back at United myself anyway.
What brought attitude problem in the discussion ? We are talking about football basics which Martial looks ignorant about, and like movement off the ball and running all the game not just standing stall till he gets the ball. Things like continuous movement that all other forwards do look like fantasy to Martial.

I maintain my opinion. Martial lacks so much basic stuff of football that it will be impossible to gain just by aging. At the moment he is just a YouTube player that you can fill videos with dribbles and goals but frustrating to follow week in week out.

Keefy18

What brought attitude problem in the discussion ? We are talking about football basics which Martial looks ignorant about, and like movement off the ball and running all the game not just standing stall till he gets the ball. Things like continuous movement that all other forwards do look like fantasy to Martial.

I maintain my opinion. Martial lacks so much basic stuff of football that it will be impossible to gain just by aging. At the moment he is just a YouTube player that you can fill videos with dribbles and goals but frustrating to follow week in week out.
You've said it previously in the pages before this that he clearly has a bad attitude cause his work rate is lacking.

el3mel

You've said it previously in the pages before this that he clearly has a bad attitude cause his work rate is lacking.
What does attitude mean ? Off field issues ? I don't remember saying he has bad attitude and have a terrible work rate is for me a different aspect than having a bad attitude. He's lazy on the pitch, but he's not a terrible personality off the field if you get it.

Keefy18

What does attitude mean ? Off field issues ? I don't remember saying he has bad attitude and have a terrible work rate is for me a different aspect than having a bad attitude. He's lazy on the pitch, but he's not a terrible personality off the field if you get it.
Could well mean both I suppose.

Bad attitude could be problems off field or just having a bad attitude towards work rate. I mean Pogba often gets a similar tag about his "attitude" as he looks lazy and uninterested.

el3mel

Could well mean both I suppose.

Bad attitude could be problems off field or just having a bad attitude towards work rate. I mean Pogba often gets a similar tag about his "attitude" as he looks lazy and uninterested.
Bad attitude on the pitch means he's downing the tools or something, but Martial for me is just ignorant about off ball movement and its importance . All my criticism for him has been football related only.